Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Real Mean Queen posted:

On the one hand I can’t say I’d do any better, I’m not a soldier, I bet that’s scary as poo poo. On the other that-simpsons-guy-with-the-big-hand sized hand, aren’t these guys theoretically soldiers? Like, they’ve discussed that this is a problem that they may face and came up with a couple contingency plans, right?

I guess at this point I’m just curious what IDF training actually is and how it compares to what other, more successful groups do. Do you just do one of those muddy obstacle course things and then spend a day at the small target range?

As far as I understand it, the battle in Ofakim involved the cops, Yamam, and one of those "emergency squads" of armed civilians that some towns have. So it's not just the IDF that was slipping all over the place that day - but it's especially embarrassing for Yamam since they're supposed to be, like, the IDF's uber counterterrorism unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sancho Banana posted:

As far as I understand it, the battle in Ofakim involved the cops, Yamam, and one of those "emergency squads" of armed civilians that some towns have. So it's not just the IDF that was slipping all over the place that day - but it's especially embarrassing for Yamam since they're supposed to be, like, the IDF's uber counterterrorism unit.

I would not be surprised if they all keep on shooting each other, along with Israeli civilians they think are Palestinian civilians.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sending Abed all my bitcoins, lets get this bread

(Btw their fake site has gore on it, viewer beware)

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Actually nevermind, they're anti-terrorist fighters, so it's no surprise they kept shooting each other.

Sancho Banana has issued a correction as of 11:17 on Nov 24, 2023

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Individual Israeli soldiers violating the ceasefire by shooting at refugees are probably going to be ignored so long as the bombing stops.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
abject clusterfuck, release the dungeons & dragons, even one bullet fired counts as breaking the ceasefire what the gently caress do you think you're doing

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Xionism is toast

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
better yet, I hope they have Islamist children

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Individual Israeli soldiers violating the ceasefire by shooting at refugees are probably going to be ignored so long as the bombing stops.

They've also prepared this excuse for ceasefire violations, except these supposed alarms occured in towns in the Gaza envelope that have been completely cleared out since the start of the war, and whose citizens have not been allowed to return yet. Nobody would've been around to hear them or get hit. The military can just lie with impunity about what's going on over there.

https://twitter.com/IsraelWarRoom/status/1727919154169098602?t=8KdCURyArBYoRm2gG8gbFQ&s=19

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Sancho Banana posted:

could you explain what ""emergency squad" of armed civilians" means? Like is there some sort of formal framework that allows citizens who otherwise wouldnt be, be armed?

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Sancho Banana posted:

Oh okay cool, so those were cops or the neighborhood watch or the toughest badasses available, and it’s just unclear which because they all did about equally well?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Xionism is toast

Morbidly curious to see some quotes from this

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

DancingShade posted:

That's it. You're not trained, they're not trained. Someone who was would perform what they've been drilled to, no cognition necessary. It should be instinct.

The IDF is full of people who aren't soldiers but dressed like them.

I guess my next question is “why did you make an army out of that” but that would be unfair to you and also I’m pretty sure I understand how organizations turn into this. My official next question is how many steam hours in VR shooters you need to automatically qualify as a marksman

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

fanfic insert posted:

could you explain what ""emergency squad" of armed civilians" means? Like is there some sort of formal framework that allows citizens who otherwise wouldnt be, be armed?

They're basically small neighborhood watches formed of off-duty reservists and/or civilians and with firearm licenses, usually in cooperation with the police. They're pretty much the first line of defense until help arrives (if it's needed). They're most common in the Gaza envelope and the West Bank settlements - though since October 7th there's been an explosion of people requesting licenses, not just in those territories but all over the country, along with new squads. Tel Aviv, Haifa, Pretty much everywhere .

Sancho Banana has issued a correction as of 12:00 on Nov 24, 2023

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
seems like Israelis are willing to kill to stop Palestinians from returning to the north. seems incompatible with a ceasefire but what do I know

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1727998276534710505?s=20

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the israelis haven’t withdrawn they’re just not supposed to be killing civilians anymore?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

stumblebum posted:

<Al-Aqsa08> hey, if you type in your pw, it will show as stars
<Al-Aqsa08> ********* see!
<IronDumb> hitler2
<IronDumb> doesnt look like stars to me

lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

hadji murad posted:

better yet, I hope they have Islamist children

k-slur genocide

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Jel Shaker posted:

the israelis haven’t withdrawn they’re just not supposed to be killing civilians anymore?

The military is supposed to cease fire. Opening fire seems to be the opposite of that imo.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sancho Banana posted:

They're basically small neighborhood watches formed of off-duty reservists and/or civilians and with firearm licenses, usually in cooperation with the police. They're pretty much the first line of defense until help arrives (if it's needed). They're most common in the Gaza envelope and the West Bank settlements - though since October 7th there's been an explosion of people requesting licenses, not just in those territories but all over the country, along with new squads. Tel Aviv, Haifa, Pretty much everywhere .

so in other words they're death squads with a thin veneer of respectability?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Real Mean Queen posted:

I guess my next question is “why did you make an army out of that” but that would be unfair to you and also I’m pretty sure I understand how organizations turn into this. My official next question is how many steam hours in VR shooters you need to automatically qualify as a marksman

Imagine Duty Calls: the parody, but making your flesh and blood army that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7r9RqWBdl8

After their first week in uniform the average IDF soldier makes the rank of Sergeant of the Master Sergants Most Important Person To The Max Extreme! rank.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

so in other words they're death squads with a thin veneer of respectability?

roving bands of 40-50 armed hogs

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Votskomit posted:

Just try to avoid talking about LGBTQ issues if you wanna stay friends.

Good news! Israel advertises itself as the most pro-LGBTQ country in the Middle East. Now you know who to support!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Houthi attacks on Israel jeopardise Saudi peace efforts in Yemen

quote:

Advanced plans by Saudi Arabia to strike a peace deal with the Houthi rebels in Yemen are being jeopardised by Houthi attacks on Israel and this week’s seizure of an Israeli-linked commercial vessel in the Red Sea.

Saudi Arabia hopes it can maintain a firewall between the Yemen peace talks and the Houthis’ attacks on Israel, but in London and Washington there is pressure to redesignate the Houthis as a terrorist organisation, which would threaten any deal.

There are also reports that the US is willing to launch an attack on Houthi military sites in and around Yemen’s capital, Sana’a, as well as its port operations room, unless the ship seized on Sunday, the Galaxy Leader, is released.

lol, saudis had enough of fighting in yemen but the usa thinks it can do better apparently

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dokapon Findom posted:

Good news! Israel advertises itself as the most pro-LGBTQ country in the Middle East. Now you know who to support!

I hated cluster bombs until the factory painted them in rainbow colours, now I love shelling civilians with cluster bombs. It's very progressive.

It's the puffs of added glitter they give off as they seperate limb from child that really put the pride in a pride flag.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

Houthi attacks on Israel jeopardise Saudi peace efforts in Yemen

lol, saudis had enough of fighting in yemen but the usa thinks it can do better apparently

Good guy nation, bombing Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Iranian, Lebanese targets all at once, because we're the good guys

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

stumblebum posted:

<Al-Aqsa08> hey, if you type in your pw, it will show as stars
<Al-Aqsa08> ********* see!
<IronDumb> hitler2
<IronDumb> doesnt look like stars to me

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
For real though we must be on Hitler 4,653 by now. I feel the original has been cheapened significantly

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Saddam was Hitler, bin Laden was Hitler, Pol Pot was Hitler, my neighbor who cut my tree is Hitler (somehow no consensus on this one though)

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

drat, this page number sucks. gently caress this page.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

When everyone is Hitler... no one will be

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Posting on the Nakba page

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Everyone posting on this page should face a 75 hour probe.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

You say Nakba, I say The Birth of a Nation. Wait, no!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

october 7th footage of two hamas guys scaring the poo poo out of a dozen and a half IDF troopers

https://twitter.com/megatron_ron/status/1727722015774142870?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

it’s definitely been said and posted here before but I can’t help but still be surprised (and yet also not really surprised) by how dog poo poo the IDF is. like this was supposed to be one of the premier armies right? Weren’t they supposedly GOATed and trained? All that poo poo means nothing once people actually fought back. it’s wild

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Worst. Page. Ever.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

The REAL Goobusters posted:

it’s definitely been said and posted here before but I can’t help but still be surprised (and yet also not really surprised) by how dog poo poo the IDF is. like this was supposed to be one of the premier armies right? Weren’t they supposedly GOATed and trained? All that poo poo means nothing once people actually fought back. it’s wild

I feel like this is definitely Yanks projecting onto Israel. It's certainly not a reputation I feel like the IDF has in Australia. They got the poo poo kicked out of them in Lebanon and then have only conducted terror bombings and colonial police actions since.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
posting on the nakba page

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I think it's rather inarguable that the Israelis won their wars in 1948, 1967, and 1973, as relatively conventional conflicts with peer nations

the problem is that 1973 was a long time ago (and was a much closer fight than what we've been lead to believe), and a lot of what has followed since are either COIN operations (read: killing defenseless Palestinians), or the defeat against Hezbollah that they've tried very hard to bury and forget (by engaging in more COIN)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

The IDF's reputation is riding almost entirely on the legacy of 1967. What other serious claims to fame is it made of? Yom Kippur? Nope. The Lebanon wars? Not really. The Gaza operations? lol.