Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

According to Wikipedia, this is a comedy movie.

I have to ask -- do Italian filmmakers know what "comedy" is, because we're about 20 minutes in and I don't think there's been a single identifiable joke yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

According to Wikipedia, this is a comedy movie.

I have to ask -- do Italian filmmakers know what "comedy" is, because we're about 20 minutes in and I don't think there's been a single identifiable joke yet.

I feel like 'boobs are funny, right?' is the emphasized premise here.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Morter posted:

I feel like 'boobs are funny, right?' is the emphasized premise here.

Yeah I guess. That and sexism.

I genuinely don't get it. This doesn't feel like a parody of Bond movies, this just feels like a Bond movie with a different lead actor, but even worse acting and bad production values.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 24, 2023

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Operation Kid Brother isn't a great movie by any means, but god drat I like the theme song.

Ennio Morricone's involvement, no doubt.

I would watch Neil Connery in other films. There, I've said it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's weird because Neil was primarily hired after a radio interview where it was noted he sounded exactly like his brother, then they just dubbed him.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

muscles like this! posted:

It's weird because Neil was primarily hired after a radio interview where it was noted he sounded exactly like his brother, then they just dubbed him.

With some American guy no less.

I had forgotten that the *guy is hypnotizing someone* "SLEEEEP!" Tom riff was also in this one. I always thought it was a The Undead original but since that was a Mike episode, that can't be.

E:

Pershing posted:

I would watch Neil Connery in other films. There, I've said it.

I mean with the dubbing and the general italianess of the movie it's hard to say anything about his overall abilities, but physically he isn't doing any worse than anyone else in this turkey. Kinda weird actually that he had so few appearances in anything, you'd think other people would've been interested in going for that Connery name value after it turned out he wasn't a real-life Dean Learner.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 24, 2023

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

But honestly Nicholson was getting references in Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, he’d just been the Joker

Also in Aladdin and Rescue Rangers, and a bunch of others I've forgotten. So many people were doing Nicholson impressions that Dennis Miller had a whole bit griping about it!

Anyway, back on topic... So do you think they'll refund everyone, or hang onto the money and try a second round of fundraising?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I had forgotten that the *guy is hypnotizing someone* "SLEEEEP!" Tom riff was also in this one. I always thought it was a The Undead original but since that was a Mike episode, that can't be.

Dr. F also did "SLEEEEEEP in heavenly PEEEACE!" during the opening segments of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ah yes, the haunting "Torgo's Theme".

Freemason Rush Week posted:

Anyway, back on topic... So do you think they'll refund everyone, or hang onto the money and try a second round of fundraising?

Says on the website that this is an "all or nothing" campaign, which traditionally means that if they don't meet the goal, everyone's money gets refunded (or more accurately doesn't even get collected, since they charge you when the campaign ends).

E:

Another season 13 episode, this time The Bubble. This one's a Joel episode. Let's see how he does at riffing these days.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 24, 2023

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They haven’t taken anyone’s money yet. If they don’t meet the goal, there’s nothing to refund.

Edit: beaten by edit to previous post

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

What the gently caress is this movie :psyduck:

(The Bubble)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right. I guess he was a cheap hire?

”Will Work For Food”: The Dom DeLuise Story

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I mean this movie is absolutely godawful, but I wouldn't say it's worse than Manos. Of course a big difference is that this print looks like an actual movie, instead of an 8mm snuff film like the print of Manos they used on MST3K.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

What the gently caress is this movie :psyduck:

(The Bubble)

They realized they could make a really cheap sci-fi movie using just the back lot of a film studio.

It's like how there are Star Trek episodes that were set on a planet that looked exactly like a western set for flimsy reasons.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Edmund Sparkler posted:

They realized they could make a really cheap sci-fi movie using just the back lot of a film studio.

It's like how there are Star Trek episodes that were set on a planet that looked exactly like a western set for flimsy reasons.

Don't forget it's also in 3D so every other scene someone is just clumsily reaching towards the camera or literally waving something inches away from the camera.

And also it was seemingly edited by someone randomly chopping scenes off mid-dialogue.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Spectre Of The Gun for example

I seem to remember there was a lot of pressure in Season 3 for Desilu to cut costs. Hence the "a planet just like Rome!" and similar scripts.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
First time with The Bubble and it’s not Manos bad.

This is a dull, no-budget ‘60s sci-fi TV show episode. (I liken it to a fair Twilight Zone episode, but stttrrrreeeeeeccchhhheddd out to full-length movie.) Manos is unwatchable without the riffs.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
The thing about The bubble is that although yes the production value is all cheap and obviously filmed on a backlot, it's not worse than any other MST3k movie. But, I think the Manos comparison is apt in that it's got that feeling of dread throughout. Like you know things are bad and are going to be worse and every character in this movie is hosed. It succeeds in being terrible via existential dread that doesn't pay off at all. I was annoyed at the comparison to Manos on the first viewing of the episode, but the second time through I got it. I would have hated to riff this episode.

Even as a viewer I think there's a lot of great riffs in it, but things like the fate of the pilot's dancer girlfriend and the mother's absolute breakdown, knowing they're trying to raise a baby in those circumstances is a real bummer. I loved season 13 but am going to have a real hard time rewatching that episode very often.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Perhaps most illuminating about this telethon was I didn't realize how often 'coily-like' things showed up. I remember the Mike Sprite (and Mike's Sock Sprite), but seeing 'Willy the Waffle', in two separate episodes, really opened me up to how much A Case of Spring Fever has been in the hearts of the crew.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

muscles like this! posted:

What's weird is this isn't the only time he's done it. He also played an irritating talking magical skateboard in The Skateboard Kid.

A masterpiece

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Annakie posted:

The thing about The bubble is that although yes the production value is all cheap and obviously filmed on a backlot, it's not worse than any other MST3k movie. But, I think the Manos comparison is apt in that it's got that feeling of dread throughout. Like you know things are bad and are going to be worse and every character in this movie is hosed. It succeeds in being terrible via existential dread that doesn't pay off at all.

Yeah, that's a really good point, actually and articulates a feeling I've had about Manos for ages.

As far as the episode goes, I'm not REALLY feeling Joel here. He's kinda too low energy and laid back for my tastes, which is how Joel always is of course.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I’m so mad that I missed Munchie :mad:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I've always loved the "hanging out on Pearl's front porch" host segment from Time Chasers. It's so incongruously friendly. :3:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

I've always loved the "hanging out on Pearl's front porch" host segment from Time Chasers. It's so incongruously friendly. :3:

For me it's got some weird sense of nostalgia because much of the time enjoying MST3k with a couple of close friends I used to live near, would be at 2 AM after we all got drunk and we fell asleep on the couches to MST3k episodes. Cold, sleepy chatty nights is what it was all about.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Annakie posted:

The thing about The bubble is that although yes the production value is all cheap and obviously filmed on a backlot, it's not worse than any other MST3k movie. But, I think the Manos comparison is apt in that it's got that feeling of dread throughout. Like you know things are bad and are going to be worse and every character in this movie is hosed. It succeeds in being terrible via existential dread that doesn't pay off at all. I was annoyed at the comparison to Manos on the first viewing of the episode, but the second time through I got it. I would have hated to riff this episode.

Even as a viewer I think there's a lot of great riffs in it, but things like the fate of the pilot's dancer girlfriend and the mother's absolute breakdown, knowing they're trying to raise a baby in those circumstances is a real bummer. I loved season 13 but am going to have a real hard time rewatching that episode very often.

I know exactly what you mean. Both movies feel like a fever to me. Conquest of the Planet of the Apes makes me feel the same way. There’s also something about the way bright colors appear on that 60s film stock that makes me feel sick.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Powered Descent posted:

I've always liked when the bots are briefly written like kids. It's a nice change of pace and feels nostalgic and authentic to what that time in life is like. :kimchee:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Time Chasers has this earnestness to it that gives it so much charm compared to equally lovely movies.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Time Chasers has this earnestness to it that gives it so much charm compared to equally lovely movies.

Oh yeah this is on a whole other level compared to the poo poo we've been seeing all day.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The host segments in Time Chasers are some of my all-time favourites. The opening with Mike hanging out with Pearl, and now the interstitials where the bots travel in time to try to save Mike.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The earnestness of Timechasers makes the failure that much sweeter.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The idea of a big revolutionary war battle is cool but the execution is just so god drat inept.

"Oh, that guy's just a pirate!" is a great riff though.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Big “Pirates! Sultans! After them!” energy

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"He died as he lived: mud-stained and splaying."

E: god drat that's one of my top 5 episodes.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 24, 2023

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I love Construction Frank

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Time Chasers is one of the best movies they've ever done on the show.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Oh god, shirtless Forrester and Frank.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I love Construction Frank

Yeah he was great. Did Dr. Forrester have a six pack?

Speaking of movies with inexplicably good songs on the soundtrack, it's Horror at Party Beach!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I know it's a month late but it's time to zombie stomp!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Heheeeeeeeeeeeeee...Horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I had forgotten the bad rear end bike gang where half the members look like French poets.