Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FFT posted:

I do think Yud did the opposite of the "someone guessed it so we have to change the ending" thing, but specifically in that he had no idea how to end it and went with the guess he liked because it was like a year pause before he put out the final chapter.

To be honest, that's the one legitimately smart thing he did there, probably. Storytelling is best done collaboratively, one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Oh, absolutely, I did mean that as a positive thing.

Just also kinda negative in the "he had no idea how to finish it" sense vs the "someone guessed our ending so we have to change it" process

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

that fanfic isnt very long, my supernatural adventure time mlp fic where castiel teams up with finn and jake to save equestria is easily twice that word count

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My bad ChatGPT-generated fan fiction is infinitely longer

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

FFT posted:

Sort of? He definitely freaks out about how her turning into a cat breaks light cones or whatever

i knew this happened in chapter two :/

if there's one thing quantum physics is famous for is its clear and intuitive understanding of complicated physical systems like cats

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

blatman posted:

that fanfic isnt very long, my supernatural adventure time mlp fic where castiel teams up with finn and jake to save equestria is easily twice that word count

The longest single piece of fiction on the planet is a Super Smash Brothers fanfic that's over 7.2 million words long.

Fanfic is a wild world.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

pseudosavior posted:

The longest single piece of fiction on the planet is a Super Smash Brothers fanfic that's over 7.2 million words long.

Fanfic is a wild world.

what the gently caress lmao how do you even write a story about the crossover punching game

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

blatman posted:

what the gently caress lmao how do you even write a story about the crossover punching game

you've got like 30 different stories to mash together, it makes complete sense

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Smash Bros Ultimate has bits from more than 200 games.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

pseudosavior posted:

Fanfic is a wild world.
go ask the web serial thread about the wandering inn some time

it's not fanfic, it actually has a plot, characters, decent writing for the genre… the genre is litrpg lol

(it's actually readable and human-written, just also unfathomably long and the author likes to drop 30k chapters twice a week)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I wonder if the xkcd guy feels regret for the type of nerds he harbored for decades

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tokin opposition posted:

I wonder if the xkcd guy feels regret for the type of nerds he harbored for decades

He probably thinks it's the best thing he ever did

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

so what the gently caress is actually going on in the openai thing anyway, all i know is that the guy who got forced out is a high-tier sex pest and then like 75% of the company threatened to resign if they didn't bring back the sex pest and i'm kind of lost at this point

90s Cringe Rock posted:

go ask the web serial thread about the wandering inn some time

it's not fanfic, it actually has a plot, characters, decent writing for the genre… the genre is litrpg lol

(it's actually readable and human-written, just also unfathomably long and the author likes to drop 30k chapters twice a week)

wandering inn is pretty fun when its not going on really annoying libertarian screeds. the goblin chapters are some great poo poo, i'd read an actual edited book that was primarily the goblin chapters

HootTheOwl posted:

He probably thinks it's the best thing he ever did

i mean he seems to also hate those kind of nerds so who knows

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

That fanfic seems like a funny premise if it's a science nerd getting bullied by magicchads instead of (presumably) it being the other way around

Oh I violated the law of conservation of energy???? Magic bitch

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tulip posted:

so what the gently caress is actually going on in the openai thing anyway, all i know is that the guy who got forced out is a high-tier sex pest and then like 75% of the company threatened to resign if they didn't bring back the sex pest and i'm kind of lost at this point

wandering inn is pretty fun when its not going on really annoying libertarian screeds. the goblin chapters are some great poo poo, i'd read an actual edited book that was primarily the goblin chapters

i mean he seems to also hate those kind of nerds so who knows

Try to picture the kinds of people who would enthusiastically go work for the sexpest because they believe, passionately, in AI. I'm surprised it wasn't more.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

HPMOR never really explores the “let’s do science about magic” premise at all. Harry points out all the ways that magic violates physical laws and the ways that setting doesn’t make sense, does a tiny bit of experimentation that doesn’t push any boundaries forward, and then just spends the rest of the story outsmarting everyone else in the story by being Very Logical. Its only good quality is that it inspired other, better authors to make “rationalist fiction”, which is just normal fiction but with a focus on intelligent characters making reasonable decisions, and since that pseudo-genre describes a lot of other, existing works, it got people reading and writing some pretty good stories.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Justin Tyme posted:

That fanfic seems like a funny premise if it's a science nerd getting bullied by magicchads instead of (presumably) it being the other way around

Oh I violated the law of conservation of energy???? Magic bitch

the only moment i really remember from the harry potter fanfic we're talking about is that he tries to pick a fight with dumbledore about the nature of death and harry's whole attempt to own dumbledore just comes across as extremely unconvincing copium

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

blatman posted:

there's apparently lore and fanfics for characters from dance mat games

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Tulip posted:

the only moment i really remember from the harry potter fanfic we're talking about is that he tries to pick a fight with dumbledore about the nature of death and harry's whole attempt to own dumbledore just comes across as extremely unconvincing copium

is yud the guy who started calling everyone "deathists" for not believing he can achieve immortality through some stupid scifi poo poo he was working on, cuz if he is this makes a lot more sense

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dudes who consider themselves brilliant visionaries because they did well on tests in middle school absolutely hate the scientific method. the victorian scientific method of coming up with some random idea and then declaring it correct with no evidence suits them much better.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

blastron posted:

HPMOR never really explores the “let’s do science about magic” premise at all. Harry points out all the ways that magic violates physical laws and the ways that setting doesn’t make sense, does a tiny bit of experimentation that doesn’t push any boundaries forward, and then just spends the rest of the story outsmarting everyone else in the story by being Very Logical. Its only good quality is that it inspired other, better authors to make “rationalist fiction”, which is just normal fiction but with a focus on intelligent characters making reasonable decisions, and since that pseudo-genre describes a lot of other, existing works, it got people reading and writing some pretty good stories.

Name some? I'm curious

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

pseudosavior posted:

Fanfic is a wild world.

blatman posted:

fun fact, there's actually two extremely long smash bros fanfics

the 7.2 million word one doesn't really count, it's considered a troll fic. there's literally 100+ "chapters" of the words "Praise Jesus!" spelled incorrectly, over and over. it's also definitely not the longest piece of fiction, The Loud House: Revamped has a word count over the maximum value for a 24 bit integer, 16.7 million words, which is what fanfiction.net uses, so no one actually knows how long it truly is lmao

the 4.1 million word one is mostly about the Subspace Emissary mode from Brawl, a self-contained story mode where all the characters are involved. It's an actual, somewhat readable, completed piece of fiction, afaik.

if you don't include the troll fic, the longest fanfic for a while was about kantai collection, which is some anime bullshit about horny-ified anthropomorphized WWII battleships. 4.5 million words about that. yep

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

dreamin of semen posted:

a 24 bit integer, 16.7 million words, which is what fanfiction.net uses

what the gently caress

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

redleader posted:

what the gently caress

it's called Technology, look it up

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

dudes who consider themselves brilliant visionaries because they did well on tests in middle school absolutely hate the scientific method. the victorian scientific method of coming up with some random idea and then declaring it correct with no evidence suits them much better.

interesting idea

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah I believe it so it's almost certainly true

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

tokin opposition posted:

Name some? I'm curious

The big ones that come to mind aren't (I believe) specifically written as ratfic, but were very popular due to their intelligent protagonists:
  • Worm, a gritty superhero story about a girl who tries to be a hero but winds up being a villain. Her powers are weird and she finds very creative ways to exploit them.
  • Mother of Learning, a high fantasy story about a student at a magic school getting trapped in a time loop trying to stop an apocalypse. This has a strong focus on using the time loop to gather information and chart perfect paths forward.
  • A Practical Guide to Evil, a fantasy story that takes place in a world that runs on storybook rules. The protagonist's mentor has built the longest-standing evil empire in history by identifying and subverting every trope possible and is training the protagonist to become his successor.
  • Worth the Candle, an isekai where a depressed D&D dungeon master gets teleported into a world that's a dark pastiche of all the fantasy settings he's written for his games. A tremendous amount of effort was put into making the setting make total sense, despite consisting of every off-the-wall idea the author had ever come up with. This one might actually be explicitly rational fiction, since it was written by Alexander Wales, an author who was active in that circle and wrote a post about it, but his more recent works are decidedly less so.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

dreamin of semen posted:

if you don't include the troll fic, the longest fanfic for a while was about kantai collection, which is some anime bullshit about horny-ified anthropomorphized WWII battleships. 4.5 million words about that. yep
I'm surprised that one's in English. I know there's a Kantai Collection fanmade novel(?) in Japanese that runs to tens of thousands of pages of hardcopy and looks like the encyclopedia. I'm never going to remember the title but it's sold (probably printed on demand) in a softcover that takes up something like 8 shelf-feet.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I got caught up in listing the good fiction that came out of the rationalist sphere that I forgot to post the bad/funny one

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Optimal takes place in a world where a powerful AI was put in charge of generating dynamic content for a My Little Pony MMORPG, with the directive to maximize player enjoyment. This ultimately results in an apocalypse where the AI decides that the best way for people to enjoy the game is to get every human being to upload their consciousnesses into it and then rewrite their brains until they like it.

I genuinely can't tell if this work is made as an earnest attempt to describe the dangers of an AI apocalypse or if it's a very well-informed parody. It's competently written, uses terminology common to the internet rationalist community (such as "singularity" to describe the point where an AI will be unstoppable), touches on all the magical future-tech the community insists will exist in the future (such as brain uploading to ensure immortality), and is, at its core, about the biggest fears of the community. There's even an author's note at the end talking about how AI research is underfunded. Is this a story written to illustrate how an AI apocalypse might happen, using MLP as a framing device to show how even a "benevolent" AI could doom us all, or is it a parody written by someone so intimately familiar with the people they're mocking that those people don't understand that they're being made fun of?

Either way, it consistently makes the lists of the best rational fiction on the web. I don't recommend reading it, unless you want a specific look at the kind of people that think "effective altruism" means throwing money at AI research.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Malleum posted:

is yud the guy who started calling everyone "deathists" for not believing he can achieve immortality through some stupid scifi poo poo he was working on, cuz if he is this makes a lot more sense

Yep. TBH I don't know if he's the origin point of that but he's definitely one of those guys who thinks that biological immortality is very achievable and a moral imperative to pursue right now at the expense of other medical technologies.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i hate to hand it to the victorians, history's greatest creeplords, but the whole "can we do science on rationalist grounds" movement got utterly bodied out of england like 2 centuries prior when hobbes (yes that one) picked a fight with robert boyle and other empiricists and basically spent 20+ years having a crying and making GBS threads meltdown that embarrassed the whole movement out of existence

the stereotypical victorian scientist isn't a guy who going "i feel like it'd be cool if planets moved in circles" its a guy who hikes through a colony for 10 years and writes an incredibly loving and detailed catalogue of both the fish and sex slaves of the colony, with the same level of admiration for god's plan

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tulip posted:

the stereotypical victorian scientist isn't a guy who going "i feel like it'd be cool if planets moved in circles" its a guy who hikes through a colony for 10 years and writes an incredibly loving and detailed catalogue of both the fish and sex slaves of the colony, with the same level of admiration for god's plan

day 12: the natives have come down with a smaller version of the pox

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

feedmyleg posted:

My bad ChatGPT-generated fan fiction is infinitely longer

you repeated yourself three times

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

blastron posted:

The big ones that come to mind aren't (I believe) specifically written as ratfic, but were very popular due to their intelligent protagonists:
  • Worm, a gritty superhero story about a girl who tries to be a hero but winds up being a villain. Her powers are weird and she finds very creative ways to exploit them.
  • Mother of Learning, a high fantasy story about a student at a magic school getting trapped in a time loop trying to stop an apocalypse. This has a strong focus on using the time loop to gather information and chart perfect paths forward.
  • A Practical Guide to Evil, a fantasy story that takes place in a world that runs on storybook rules. The protagonist's mentor has built the longest-standing evil empire in history by identifying and subverting every trope possible and is training the protagonist to become his successor.
  • Worth the Candle, an isekai where a depressed D&D dungeon master gets teleported into a world that's a dark pastiche of all the fantasy settings he's written for his games. A tremendous amount of effort was put into making the setting make total sense, despite consisting of every off-the-wall idea the author had ever come up with. This one might actually be explicitly rational fiction, since it was written by Alexander Wales, an author who was active in that circle and wrote a post about it, but his more recent works are decidedly less so.

i can't speak for the rest but worm deserves a few dozen content warnings if you do dive into it just so anyone who is considering it knows, poo poo's rough

112423_5
Nov 25, 2023
cyberpunk 2023

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://files.catbox.moe/js19ww.mp4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FFT posted:

Oh, absolutely, I did mean that as a positive thing.

Just also kinda negative in the "he had no idea how to finish it" sense vs the "someone guessed our ending so we have to change it" process

True, but he's in good company in 'had no idea how to finish it' department considering. Writing just be like that sometimes. Pretty rare to have a coherent beginning, middle AND ending all in mind without getting stuck somewhere and deciding to finish it later.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol talking poo poo the whole time about the Waymo while the Tesla blows stop signs, attempts to turn into oncoming traffic, and nearly scrapes a parked car a block.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kitfox88 posted:

i can't speak for the rest but worm deserves a few dozen content warnings if you do dive into it just so anyone who is considering it knows, poo poo's rough

Worm is great. It's basically "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" turned up to 11. It's Wildbow's first major work so it's kind of rough in a lot of places, character voices are all kind of similar, and it stretches real bad at some points where Wildbow didn't really know where to go next, but overall it's still good as hell and a pretty entertaining read. Dude knows how to tell a compelling story and Taylor is pretty much the perfect protagonist for the story he's trying to tell in that setting

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Oh yeah it's a rough diamond for sure just, I cannot think of any kind of major trauma the story doesn't touch on to one degree or another and you should deffo be ready to handle that if you dive in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

It's at least got the decency to be discreet about the worst stuff. It's not particularly graphic about most of the darker subject matter, often leaving it up to heavy implication. Less so about the violence, which can get pretty loving brutal and creative

And hey, Worm underlines a really important moral I think we've all already known: lesbians can kill god