Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

But what if I actually love my children?

My kids download gigs of stupid poo poo like TikToks so they can watch them when we block the app. I’m not paying to back that poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You mean, again, or is this news like a month old?

Edit: looks like I got the notification for the increase on October 28.

I had not read an email about it but CNN had an article about it. But it honestly seemed like they had just went from $4.99 a month to $6.99 less than 6 months ago.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I’m not sure if this in a iPhone 15 pro thing or an iOS 17 thing, but I’ve noticed that the camera on this phone seems to favor low iso over a higher shutter speed. My photos are coming out blurry more often than not because it’s trying to take everything at 1/60 and iso 125, when it could opt for a little higher iso and raise the shutter. Any photo of my dog is usually pretty blurry, for example because she’s usually moving. Maybe it’s because it’s putting it in portrait mode automatically? It’s pretty frustrating, I don’t remember the camera on my XS behaving this way.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

frogbs posted:

I’m not sure if this in a iPhone 15 pro thing or an iOS 17 thing, but I’ve noticed that the camera on this phone seems to favor low iso over a higher shutter speed. My photos are coming out blurry more often than not because it’s trying to take everything at 1/60 and iso 125, when it could opt for a little higher iso and raise the shutter. Any photo of my dog is usually pretty blurry, for example because she’s usually moving. Maybe it’s because it’s putting it in portrait mode automatically? It’s pretty frustrating, I don’t remember the camera on my XS behaving this way.

That’s been standard behavior for a while AFAIK - phone will raise ISO until it can hit 1/60 shutter speed, but it won’t trade off past that point. (1/60 is usually fine for handheld shots to remain crisp, though obviously there are exceptions.)

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
Has anybody else been experiencing horrendously slow wi-fi speeds since a recent update? I'm talking like <1 meg down (while all other devices on every wifi network I've tried are getting > 200 down). I've had to turn of my wifi completely to do anything at all lately. I've gone through every setting, reset my network settings, and I'm just at a loss.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kalman posted:

That’s been standard behavior for a while AFAIK - phone will raise ISO until it can hit 1/60 shutter speed, but it won’t trade off past that point. (1/60 is usually fine for handheld shots to remain crisp, though obviously there are exceptions.)

For action you want to aim for 1/100+. For dogs running, more like 1/200th. Best bet (and I'm becoming a broken record on this) is to download Lightroom (free) and use the camera function there to set manual shutter. Leave ISO and aperture on auto.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Bit of a stupid one, is there a way to force the “Announce notifications over AirPods” (still don’t understand why this requires AirPods specifically but whatever) feature to not voice emojis?

I like to add an emoji to my reminders to make them easier to quickly glance at, but having my headphones say stuff like “empty the laundry laundry basket” for “Empty the laundry 🧺“ is a tad annoying.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

Bit of a stupid one, is there a way to force the “Announce notifications over AirPods” (still don’t understand why this requires AirPods specifically but whatever) feature to not voice emojis?

I like to add an emoji to my reminders to make them easier to quickly glance at, but having my headphones say stuff like “empty the laundry laundry basket” for “Empty the laundry 🧺“ is a tad annoying.

Obviously you have to teach the sender proper emoji grammar !

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dogen posted:

Shudder is the best value for money streaming service at this point.

this is definitely true for me because they stopped billing us but we can still watch stuff. we subbed directly through the website but it now thinks we are subbed through some other thing, which we aren't. free spooks!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I want to clear out my messages so I'm looking to download all my photos/videos. Is there an easy way to simply select all the photos instead of having to click on them one at a time because I have a ton.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

I want to clear out my messages so I'm looking to download all my photos/videos. Is there an easy way to simply select all the photos instead of having to click on them one at a time because I have a ton.

Let me know when you figure this one out because I don’t think you can select all/delete.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
iPhones don't typically see big BF sales, do they? It would be a lower range phone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Carriers do more discounting really. Like ATT has the 14 for $5/36 months ($180). Last year they had the 12 Pro for free with 36 months of service or something. It’s the only way I buy phones for kids.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Carriers do more discounting really. Like ATT has the 14 for $5/36 months ($180). Last year they had the 12 Pro for free with 36 months of service or something. It’s the only way I buy phones for kids.

that requires changing carriers, right?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

KKKLIP ART posted:

the "Find Photos" action in Shortcuts could be a start. It is likely to take a while.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

that requires changing carriers, right?

Can’t speak for other carriers, but ATT ones are for everyone. You just need to have 3 years of service with them.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

KKKLIP ART posted:

Photos app -> For You -> Shared With You

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 23, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It’s the only way I buy phones for kids.

We’ve already established that you hate your kids !

Joking I swear.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Did they change the speed at which slow motion videos play back at some point? I feel like videos I record on my 15 are slowed down less than on my older phones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

Did they change the speed at which slow motion videos play back at some point? I feel like videos I record on my 15 are slowed down less than on my older phones.

You can toggle slow motion being 120 or 240 in the Camera settings, maybe yours is set to 120?

The info button on the video in your gallery will also tell you the framerate of the saved video.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Small fyi I learned today: if you’re paying for Apple one, you can get free streaming with certain security cameras.

Main downside seems to be there’s a limited amount of camera manufacturers that participate (why let your camera work with Apple when you can charge your own monthly). I’ll be researching on this a bit to see if those cameras work fine, or if a separate one is worth the monthly difference.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Aphrodite posted:

You can toggle slow motion being 120 or 240 in the Camera settings, maybe yours is set to 120?

The info button on the video in your gallery will also tell you the framerate of the saved video.
It’s at 240, but I’ve tried both and they seem to run at the same speed but just obviously with fewer frames in the 120 version. Maybe I’ll need to do more testing, could just be that my dog that I’m recording in slow motion is slowing down with age. :(

I can change the playback speed in iMovie which gets the job done, though it’s something I wish I could do in the video itself so that I’m not having to export a duplicate video to change the speed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Small fyi I learned today: if you’re paying for Apple one, you can get free streaming with certain security cameras.

Main downside seems to be there’s a limited amount of camera manufacturers that participate (why let your camera work with Apple when you can charge your own monthly). I’ll be researching on this a bit to see if those cameras work fine, or if a separate one is worth the monthly difference.

Isn't it more of an homekit+icloud feature? Which apple one provides, but if you got any paid icloud storage you can use homekit to upload footage via their "secure video" feature. I think the lowest icloud option allows one camera and it goes up from there.

I've used it for a couple years with a logitech circle view, it works quite well and is definitely worth dealing with the limited hardware selection. Biggest issue is making sure the camera has a good wifi signal.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Got the 15 Pro Max. Pretty neat so far.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Isn't it more of an homekit+icloud feature? Which apple one provides, but if you got any paid icloud storage you can use homekit to upload footage via their "secure video" feature. I think the lowest icloud option allows one camera and it goes up from there.

I've used it for a couple years with a logitech circle view, it works quite well and is definitely worth dealing with the limited hardware selection. Biggest issue is making sure the camera has a good wifi signal.

Yeah, I should clarify that it’s iCloud+, which is included with Apple one.

50GB = 1 camera
200GB = 5 cameras
2TB = unlimited

And yeah, I would agree with you. Most camera subscriptions are $10-30 a month, so you find the right setup that helps a lot right there. Although obviously Apple could always change the pricing , but that seems to be all cloud services, streaming services, etc right now.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
15 pro heats up crazy after using the camera for like 2 minutes. Cool.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

slave to my cravings posted:

Assuming you’re in the northern hemisphere this is actually a feature , the phone also doubles as a hand warmer when it’s colder.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

What is going on with this update my phone won't charge now.. I got a new charger and block and still Nada it isn't even a year old lol

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
FYI Target has the buy $100 iTunes gift card, get $15 target gift card. It let me do it for 3 of them (I did 3 separate orders, didn’t try did a 4th). So 15% off.

If you happen to have a Discover IT card, you also get 5% cash back at target. I only remembered this after ordering the first 2, so I got 2% back on two of them, 5% back on the third. Whoops.

Anyway, it’ll help with Apple raising all their prices.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Anyway, it’ll help with Apple raising all their prices.

What’s gone up?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

What’s gone up?

Inflation!

Also, Apple raised all their monthly prices.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/25/23931577/apple-tv-plus-news-arcade-one-subscription-price-increase

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
When we take a family holiday, I typically put all the good photos in an album, select the "Play Memory Video" option, set it to landscape and export it as a video, to have a quick and dirty highlight reel to bore relatives and passersby with.

Now that all our photos are in the Shared Library, this option doesn't seem to exist.

Does anyone know a good way to achieve the same result?

edit: hah! It was because there were more than 500 photos in the album.
Shared Library is nothing to do with it.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 24, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

did this problem go away for you? wondering if it was related to an ios update or being a new phone or something

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Weedle posted:

this is definitely true for me because they stopped billing us but we can still watch stuff. we subbed directly through the website but it now thinks we are subbed through some other thing, which we aren't. free spooks!

I get DAZN for free which is a boxing streaming service that costs $200 a year. I had it for a year when it was half that price and I guess I subscribed through Amazon.

I canceled it two years ago and I still have a sub, when I go to my account it just says “manage it through Amazon” and when I click the link I have zero Amazon subscriptions.

It sucks now which is why I canceled but I still use it a couple nights a year.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

pmchem posted:

did this problem go away for you? wondering if it was related to an ios update or being a new phone or something

Not yet. Has been happening since I set up the phone 2 weeks ago as a new phone and used the camera for a few minutes to see what it was like. Phone definitely slows down after a few minutes of camera usage too so it affects performance too.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Not yet. Has been happening since I set up the phone 2 weeks ago as a new phone and used the camera for a few minutes to see what it was like. Phone definitely slows down after a few minutes of camera usage too so it affects performance too.

Just exchange it

That's not typical behavior and Apple loosened up their standards in their new die process for the cpu/gpu chip, so there's going to be stinkers. You got a stinker.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I know it's all anecdata but I keep seeing reports like yours and it's the thing that has kept me from jumping to an upgrade. plus all the advance rumors are that the iphone 16 is gonna focus on thermal engineering because of the 15's screwups:

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/11/20/iphone-16-pro-leak-reveals-redesigned-battery/
https://www.macrumors.com/2023/11/16/iphone-16-new-thermal-design/

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Just exchange it

That's not typical behavior and Apple loosened up their standards in their new die process for the cpu/gpu chip, so there's going to be stinkers. You got a stinker.

Ok good to know yea I’ll probably just exchange it at some point then. Should be covered by the regular apple 1 year warranty without AppleCare+ right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ok good to know yea I’ll probably just exchange it at some point then. Should be covered by the regular apple 1 year warranty without AppleCare+ right?

It’s easiest to exchange within 30 day purchase guarantee if still within that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Apple are scam artists, they want 900 dollars to replace my phone that's like six months old, that stopped charging overnight on a software update. Honestly what a poo poo company