Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Nostalgamus posted:

I've recently started on Blasphemous 2 after picking it up in the current Steam sale.

I ended up picking the sword at the start, but switching to the censer after picking that up as my second weapon. I jsut got to the spot where I assume I would have picked up the sword if I didn't at the start, and found an item that game +15% sword damage. Is this dependent on the starting weapon? (i.e. did I permanently miss out on a possible +15% damage to the censer?)

Nah, the locations are fixed, you have a choice on what area to tackle first, you'll find the rest later. You can also combine various altar pieces for specific weapon buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The only enduring effect your initial choice has is how that weapon will unlock its higher tier perks first, over the other two. By the end of the game they've all evened out.

Do note that some perk picks apply to all weapons, not just the one they're attached to. Things with quite vague phrasing like "base weapon damage up", without using the weapon's proper name, are global buffs. So it's worth perusing the sword upgrades even if you never plan on using it.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Alright. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Banjo Tooie is a Metroidvania.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Another Blasphemous 2 question:
Are the bosses supposed to give you permanent guilt? After I die, the guilt doesn't away when I collect the guilt fragment, and I end up having to pay the NPC in town to get it removed. The fact that the confessor NPC is getting new dialogue makes it seem like this might be intentional, but the general behaviour feels more like a bug to me.

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

Nostalgamus posted:

Another Blasphemous 2 question:
Are the bosses supposed to give you permanent guilt? After I die, the guilt doesn't away when I collect the guilt fragment, and I end up having to pay the NPC in town to get it removed. The fact that the confessor NPC is getting new dialogue makes it seem like this might be intentional, but the general behaviour feels more like a bug to me.

the guilt fragments dont completely wash away your guilt, just a large portion of it. Also purging yourself eventually causes a rosary bead to spawn in his room

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, don't be afraid to spend money on purging guilt. The first time you do it it might feel like a bitter pill, but it turns out that they quickly give you more money than you can use and I only felt the need to purge guilt like 3-4 times over the entire playthrough.

And to reiterate, it will accumulate via chip damage despite getting back your ghost every time. I was confused too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dying adds 20% guilt and getting your fragment only restores 18% per death so you'll have to pay for confession eventually no matter what

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Oh so it still does the same bullshit as 1 where you get continually penalized for dying, making successive attempts harder. Great to see that bit of utterly lovely design is still there, easy pass.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Oh so it still does the same bullshit as 1 where you get continually penalized for dying, making successive attempts harder. Great to see that bit of utterly lovely design is still there, easy pass.
Lol owned

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Yes and it sucks

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's one of those things that sounds terrible on paper, but it turns out the execution is perfectly fine. It's only even brought up since it's so dang subtle that people only notice it after a long period of time (or dying 20x on the same boss). The currency you get just for walking around far, far outstrips it; it's mostly there as a guarantee that the player will visit the confessor to kick off his storyline.

There's also a charm to equip that stops it, if the psychic toll was becoming overwhelming.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It might be an issue if Blasphemous 2 was in any way difficult (other than that one boss near the end)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That's what I thought, but supposedly they upped the difficulty in a post launch patch. Haven't played since my initial run so I don't know how it compares now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fuzz posted:

there's no consequences for guilt before 20% so you have to die 10 times before picking up your fragment isn't enough to keep you at the lowest tier. it's obnoxious to have to go use the confessor but it's usually a total of like 90 seconds to go there and back.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

If anything, I'd argue that Blasphemous 1 bossfights got easier after your first death, since the guilt fragment gives you health and fervour when you pick it up.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Blasphemous 2 doesn't have instant death spikes which is nice.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Blasphemous 2 feels way better tuned than 1 did.

Gerrund_ing
Sep 3, 2023

Tiramisu posted:

I’d never heard of this one so I looked it up and the store page gives massive “R18 patch offsite” vibes.

I have no idea and don't want to know. All I know is it's not hentai and if you can get past the typical fan service, it's a pretty fun but janky game that's kind of unique.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Been enjoying Last Faith but its really reminding me of both why I prefer Igavanias over all the other titles in this genre and I did not know it was possible to botch Dark Souls inspired storytelling this badly. Like not only is the writing just labyrinthine nothing, it fucks up the basic Souls game design of very quickly giving you a mid term objective to latch onto that then reveals the true long-term goal.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Barudak posted:

Been enjoying Last Faith but its really reminding me of both why I prefer Igavanias over all the other titles in this genre and I did not know it was possible to botch Dark Souls inspired storytelling this badly. Like not only is the writing just labyrinthine nothing, it fucks up the basic Souls game design of very quickly giving you a mid term objective to latch onto that then reveals the true long-term goal.

Yeah I think I kinda prefer these type of games to be very light on the story.

Every one I play just makes me appreciate Bloodstained more. What a gem that game is

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

For most of Blasphemous 2, I found the bosses fairly easy, even killing several of them on the first try. And then I reached Eviterno, who is basically supercharged Chrisanta from Blasphemous 1 straight off the bat. I feel like I'm getting killed without making any progress - even when I know all his attacks I can't see the coming. It feels like he keeps teleporting on top of me and then immediately hitting me before I can react.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

He is by far the hardest boss in the game (at least when I played, like I said they upped some bosses' difficulty since) but I found that his patterns and tells were pretty clear. It took me a good while to beat him too (and all the while being annoyed having to beat the first phase every time) but when it started to click I felt like his patterns were getting more and more manageable. He is fast, he is hard, but didn't feel unfair, if that makes sense. I used the sabre and when had a good spot, tried to unload the special on him (it does a lot of damage).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nostalgamus posted:

For most of Blasphemous 2, I found the bosses fairly easy, even killing several of them on the first try. And then I reached Eviterno, who is basically supercharged Chrisanta from Blasphemous 1 straight off the bat. I feel like I'm getting killed without making any progress - even when I know all his attacks I can't see the coming. It feels like he keeps teleporting on top of me and then immediately hitting me before I can react.

If you want to cheese him the time stop spell, unsurprisingly, wrecks him, paired with anything that regents your magic meter quicker.

If you found it of course.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I also went through all of Blasphemous2 without ever thinking of even trying to parry a boss's attack, in hindsight I really shoulda tried that on both Eviterno and the spinning-top boss who gave you double-jump.

I cheesed Eviterno with the time stop flask upgrade combined with the summonable ghost-dude, seeing how he was the pinnacle fight of both games I kinda wish I'd 'learnt him proper'.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finished The Last Faith and wow, that sure is an ending. It feels like either a game where the writers knew what was going on but forgot to tell you, or just the writers expected you to have played Bloodborne and just insert the gaps with that. Regardless, thats terrible writing.

Also for an exploration based game it sure is awesome that a ton of the quests dead end if you progress too far with no warning.

One tiny yet massive mercy is the true ending bossfight doesnt have to be beaten after doing the normal final boss. Also none of the multi-phasal bosses in this game should have had multiple health bars, especially because they eventually have distinct phases within those healthbars.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 27, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

I agree with your earlier stance, it kinda felt they wanted to do a cryptic Dark Souls story but they added literally nothing to expand the lore or give any direction as to what you are doing or why. So basically what you are left with is NPC's giving some random dialogue about mystic something and you have no idea what the point is.

The True Ending is a real joke (although the boss fight is fun) it's literally two screens which tell you nothing

My overall feeling is still positive but there's so much they could've/can improve.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 27, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm getting The Last Faith and The Lords have Fallen confused in my head, which is especially bad since I bought the former last week. So much for mediocre Souslikes.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
TLF just feels cargo cult in every aspect of its design. Like they see the elements but they don't understand them or understand how to apply them to their own design space. Things that work in 3D games do not work in 2D games without significant restructuring in the basic logic of it

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Anybody with opinions on Worldless?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1898500/Worldless/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heath posted:

TLF just feels cargo cult in every aspect of its design. Like they see the elements but they don't understand them or understand how to apply them to their own design space. Things that work in 3D games do not work in 2D games without significant restructuring in the basic logic of it

Yeah its so much this, both gameplay and narrative. I literally laughed when the second to last zone shows up in the map as "Altar of the Verb of Junas" which unintentional or not felt like they were using Mad Libs with Dark Souls locations and forgot to fill in one of the blanks.

Which is confounding when they actually do a pretty good job of putting together interesting zones and areas that feel suitably fun to explore. Theres a bit too much reliance on "explore until you find 3/4/6 parts of the door lock" but the structure of some parts especially the later zones are quite solid.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

They should've just added a giant crab instead

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Playing Blasphemous 2 now and hey, look at that, a super unreal narrative game where at the start it says what your objective is and lets you ground yourself on a defined quest.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

It sucks that the Metroidvania set in Dicken's Christmas Carol universe has had such poor reviews, because the aesthetics seems great but I'm not gonna shell out 20 bucks for less than 8 hours of mediocre gameplay. How often do games released within the last month go on sale?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

BioThermo posted:

It sucks that the Metroidvania set in Dicken's Christmas Carol universe has had such poor reviews, because the aesthetics seems great but I'm not gonna shell out 20 bucks for less than 8 hours of mediocre gameplay. How often do games released within the last month go on sale?

Decent chance if it completely bombs to be bundled or on sale

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BioThermo posted:

what's it called?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

TeaJay posted:

They should've just added a giant crab instead

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vampire Survivors is now more of a metroidvania than all these lameass Souls knockoffs

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Afterimage is a strange beast. I find the "collision damage + foreground hiding enemies" a bit cheap, the apparent lack of a proofreader put me off from giving a poo poo about background info ans the skill tree is overwhelming.

On the other, game does feel and look great to move and fight in once I got used to it and it's nice having bosses that I've gotta learn patterns for after how easy bloodstained was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

No Dignity posted:

what's it called?

Ebenezer and the Invisible World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugwL1MeoXUI