Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rivera saying he’s not worried https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38967278/commanders-coach-ron-rivera-not-worried-job-status-35-point-loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Of course he's not worried, he already knows he's fired. Why worry about a certain thing?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I agree with the sentiment that firing Rivera is pointless. They are playing out the string and going into a huge rebuild anyway and he's always been a player's coach so I don't think losing the locker room is a major concern?

He is a million percent gone at the end of the year though to be replaced by Belichick and McDaniels :lol:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1728074903235019107

About a year too late but hey

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Rivera is a dead man walking right? No way new ownership wants him next year, but no real reason to go the interim route.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Forrest on Fire posted:

Rivera is a dead man walking right? No way new ownership wants him next year, but no real reason to go the interim route.
He's 100% fired. So is Eberflus.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Bieniemy can't even get an interim job

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Let's see... Washington has the Dolphins up next.

Have fun with that Jack.

Oh man, they end the season with two home games against the 49ers and Cowboys. What a way to go out.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They also fired the DBs coach, so heads are rolling today.

I won't be surprised if ownership pushed for this. Ron was extremely loyal to JDR and stood by him through multiple controversies.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

StupidSexyMothman posted:

Interim DC in addition to his OC duties?

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Kalli posted:

Let's see... Washington has the Dolphins up next.

Have fun with that Jack.

Oh man, they end the season with two home games against the 49ers and Cowboys. What a way to go out.

That last game may be meaningless for the Cowboys if seeding is locked, but if not, ugh.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Seems kinda unreasonable to trade away Chase Young and Montez Sweat and then blame your DC for the defense underperforming.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i assume you're just firing coaches to make it look like you're trying, but you don't fire rivera because maybe the interim coach looks good and it messes up the optics when you've already decided who your new HC is gonna be

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

RIP to Jack Del Rio who i mostly just remember as wearing a suit on the sidelines once like 20 years ago

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

SKULL.GIF posted:

Seems kinda unreasonable to trade away Chase Young and Montez Sweat and then blame your DC for the defense underperforming.

Right but its never not the right time to fire Jack del Rio

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Don’t need a DC on staff if you’re hiring Belichick :taps forehead:

MikeCrotch posted:

Right but its never not the right time to fire Jack del Rio

Also this

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Somebody post AAAAAAAGGGG

Real ones know

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Blackjack was fun in 2016 with his balls of steel playcalling but his lovely politics make him an insufferable dickhead.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Somebody post AAAAAAAGGGG

Real ones know

NFL generic

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

I wonder if some coaches are holding onto their jobs because owners might be inclined to go all-in on Belichick if he becomes available, and not to complicate things with a successful interim head coach.

Reich, Rivera, Eberflus, and Staley's in-season firings are all justifiable. Mark Davis, at least, owned his failures by firing McDaniels.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
what if the chargers don't fire staley

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Coaches on the hot seat don’t get to choose if they hold onto a position.

I am excited for Monday!!!

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

a neat cape posted:

He has only one year left on his contract right? Imagine Spanos being so cheap that he runs out a lame duck head coach and wastes another year of Herbert just to save 4-5 million dollars or whatever.

That team doesn't deserve fans like you

Edit: I'd still laugh my rear end off though

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

He'll start next season on a nuclear fire hot seat and possibly be fired in October if they start badly.

Or, black comedy option, they go like 13-4 and then lose in the wild card round again and the front office doesn't know whether to keep him or not.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

a neat cape posted:

We'll all chip in to fund your relocation to another fanbase

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Benne posted:

They also fired the DBs coach, so heads are rolling today.

I won't be surprised if ownership pushed for this. Ron was extremely loyal to JDR and stood by him through multiple controversies.

Magic is in tune with the fanbase

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Herbert's face becomes a permanent reenactment of the Criterion Collection box-art poster for Come And See

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

this situation is becoming funny

Ayudo posted:

I wonder if some coaches are holding onto their jobs because owners might be inclined to go all-in on Belichick if he becomes available, and not to complicate things with a successful interim head coach.

Reich, Rivera, Eberflus, and Staley's in-season firings are all justifiable. Mark Davis, at least, owned his failures by firing McDaniels.

I guess I can buy that owners still think that highly of Belichick but it seems incredibly stupid. he'd be my plan B or C and even then I'd want veto power over his coordinator picks

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

You fire your head coach mid season when he's actively harming the development of the players you're going to keep. Take Matt Rhule last year - the team could not loving stand the guy toward the end. Guys flat out didn't seem to want to be on the field and he treated them like poo poo.

Urban was kicking dudes.

Josh McDaniels is half ruining the roster, everyones pissed off.

Makes sense to just jettison those guys.

Rivera is beloved by just about all his players and tbh, I've never heard anyone from his time in Carolina have a bad thing to say about him. He's also not going to go outside the org and piss and moan about ownership tying a hand behind his back etc. The guy will stand tall at the prow of the sinking ship but won't drown the crew on board with him out of spite. It makes a lot of sense to hang on to him until the end tbh. Some coaches - gently caress no, but Rivera is pretty well respected from what I understand as being a very solid dude.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

indigi posted:

this situation is becoming funny

I guess I can buy that owners still think that highly of Belichick but it seems incredibly stupid. he'd be my plan B or C and even then I'd want veto power over his coordinator picks

It’d make sense for like the chargers than the panthers but I’m not really sold on both. Mays I think made the point that we’ve already seen what a 3-4 year Belichick rebuild looks like—it’s this

also my phone considers one Belichick spelled correctly and the other Belichick spelled incorrectly. and both of these most recent Belichicks…

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

a neat cape posted:

Chargers fandom has taken you to a very dark place huh

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Plus the guy has been through a lot already, between fighting cancer and dealing with Dan Snyder. Let him go down with dignity.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

It’d make sense for like the chargers than the panthers but I’m not really sold on both. Mays I think made the point that we’ve already seen what a 3-4 year Belichick rebuild looks like—it’s this

also my phone considers one Belichick spelled correctly and the other Belichick spelled incorrectly. and both of these most recent Belichicks…

A team like the chargers makes more sense for Belichick because it's a more complete team. They arguably have a window to make a serious push and their biggest problem has been situational coaching and defense. I could see Belichick going to the chargers and doing what Kubiak did for the Broncos, wasn't necessarily there to build a roster or coach up a team, but there to get them past the poo poo Fox wasn't able to.

I wouldn't necessarily want him in Carolina - but mainly because of his age and how long he's been doing the thing. Having him come in would probably put Bryce in the best situation - even if he brought McDaniels in as OC and he'd use the defensive tools and special teams tools we've developed effectively but I'd seriously worry about his ability to evaluate talent now if he wanted to be the GM as well. I don't really like the idea of bringing in a football president that people kick around every now and then. We saw it when Holmgren was hired in that kind of role with the Browns and it has that two captains of the ship feel to me.

Panthers if Bryce can be something are a 2 year project minimuim. 3 to 5 probably if not. Will he be there in 5 years? The guys 72 before opening day next year. Is he going to be there at 77?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Could Rivera succeed as a coordinator or something? Players do seem to love him.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Could Rivera succeed as a coordinator or something? Players do seem to love him.

12 straight seasons as a head coach could make it hard for him to accept a Coordinator role.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Maybe? He was the Bears DC when they went to the Super Bowl in 2006, and then was the Chargers DC for a few years, including the previously mentioned 2010 team that allowed the fewest yards that year, before going to Carolina.

The thing here is that he's been a head coach ever since. I'm not sure he'd want to take a step back to being a coordinator. Plus, he can use the "I worked for Snyder and he hosed stuff up, I just never had the chance to get out of the holes he dug" excuse (Valid or not), and there may still be teams interested in him if he becomes available. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears made a run at him, since he'd hit the trifecta of being a former player (On the 1985 team to boot!) and coordinator for them.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Docjowles posted:

Chargers fandom has taken you to a very dark place huh

McCoy was given a 4 year deal and coached 4 years.

Lynn was given a 4 year deal and coached 4 years.

Staley was given a 4 year deal and has coached.... 3 years.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

He's probably got a cushy booth gig if he wants one. Experienced, well liked by the league etc.

He's the kind of dude I can see not seeing being a DC as a demotion necessarily but it wouldn't shock me to see him go somewhere like the Raiders as a head coach.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Ron Rivera is only 3 years removed from his last playoff appearance, has taken 1 team to the super bowl, and has a winning record over his career, though he could have a just barely losing one if he goes 0-5 to end the season. Given all of that I think he'd still be near the top of a lot of lists for head coach vacancies this off season assuming he gets fired and also doesn't retire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

Ron Rivera is only 3 years removed from his last playoff appearance, has taken 1 team to the super bowl, and has a winning record over his career, though he could have a just barely losing one if he goes 0-5 to end the season. Given all of that I think he'd still be near the top of a lot of lists for head coach vacancies this off season assuming he gets fired and also doesn't retire.

Not if he doesn't magically fix the defense overnight.