Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Popete posted:

that's because we know

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

no one actually thinks ohtani is coming to chicago

Don’t you call me no one

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

live with fruit posted:

So the Mariners players complained that the team needs to spend more, then the front office told them to shut the gently caress up and salary dumped Suarez.

Cal Raleigh being forced to apologize after saying that had some big Gulf War POW forced to denounce their country on video at gunpoint energy.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Yamamoto is probably more likely to be a Cub than Ohtani, but por que no las dos?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

but por que no las dos?
nice post/avy combo, I'm now imagining Craig butchering the most basic of phrases in Spanish

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yamamoto is probably more likely to be a Cub than Ohtani, but por que no las dos?

The Cubs have been much more heavily connected to Imanaga than Yamamoto, and while I definitely would prefer the latter if they ended up with the former instead I wouldn't hate it. Imanaga has been putting up sparkling ace results in Japan all the way back to 2019 - not as mind blowing as Yamamoto but still very good - and will likely be had for significantly less years/dollars due to being 30 instead of 25.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh god it's only thanksgiving

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

mdemone posted:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

mdemone posted:

Bregor posted:

Imagine the state of mdemone’s posting if we get to January and he still hasn’t signed anywhere

:doit:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

https://twitter.com/rotoworld_bb/status/1727860977805443560?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

Many people are saying this

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man anyone but the Dodgers

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I am all in on Ohtani

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I’m starting to think the Mariners hate their fan base.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
yeah

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I will gladly fly Ohtani to my house for a low key, no frills thanksgiving if he signs with the Cubs.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

not gonna lie ohtani to the cubs would be the best baseball thing that's happened to me in about seven years

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

at least

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kirios posted:

I’m starting to think the Mariners hate their fan base.

This has been evident for quite a while

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

more falafel please posted:

not gonna lie ohtani to the cubs would be the best baseball thing that's happened to me in about seven years

I wouldn't make it til Opening Day because I'd jizz myself to death

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Show me your Ohtani face

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Consider the possiblity of MYSTERY TEAM swooping in at the last second with a better offer and signing him.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Ohtani goes to the A's for a 3 year contract during the interim before the stadium in Vegas is built. Annual payroll for the team surges to $200M.
They sell out every game and make the division playoffs.
Oakland throws piles of money at the team to convince them to stay. The owners accept it graciously and string them along. They use it as leverage to siphon more public funds from Las Vegas to sweeten the deal. The owners make their billions and then continue to neglect the team and cash the checks.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Gonz posted:

Consider the possiblity of MYSTERY TEAM swooping in at the last second with a better offer and signing him.

Rockies!

Also I think next year Angels make the playoffs because poo poo is weird like that.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://x.com/BleacherNation/status/1728135843813171248?s=20

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
drat they need robo umps there too already

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

as hard as it may be to believe, MLB has the most talented umpires in the world in addition to the most talented players

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

as hard as it may be to believe, MLB has the most talented umpires in the world in addition to the most talented players

Thinking about that Mexican league umpire who called a checked swing even though the batter swung all the way through including the follow through

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Show me your Ohtani face

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

bawfuls posted:

Thanks magic

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

What a scathing indictment of umpires that is.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

AUAB

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Has increased pitcher nastiness made it harder to umpire?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

live with fruit posted:

Has increased pitcher nastiness made it harder to umpire?

Almost assuredly.

There's also a very, very clear aging curve for umpire quality behind the plate.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Inspector_666 posted:

Almost assuredly.

There's also a very, very clear aging curve for umpire quality behind the plate.

The worst umpires tending to the older generation of umps means they have a lot of senority and get to call the most high profile games as a result.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I don't know if it's as much an aging curve in the sense of regression? Younger umps have spent their careers in the age of umpires being electronically graded and with the current strike zone

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Just sit all rookie umps down in a darkened room, and show them a few hours of Angel Hernandez behind the plate, then tell them to do the exact opposite of that.

Problem(s) solved.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Expectations and visibility have also changed. The zone has always been ethereal, but broadcasts super-imposing a zone over the plate and stuff like instant video play back on MLB, social media, stuff like ump scorecard, etc make it very and immediately obvious to fans when bad calls are made.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There is also an assumption that the overlayed strikezone is the correct one. I buy it's accurate inside/outside edges but up/down is still somewhat subjective.

I genuinely think the solution to people getting mad about ump zones is to get rid of the strikezone overlays.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Popete posted:

There is also an assumption that the overlayed strikezone is the correct one. I buy it's accurate inside/outside edges but up/down is still somewhat subjective.

I genuinely think the solution to people getting mad about ump zones is to get rid of the strikezone overlays.

Or just make it more accurate? Why would we scrap it altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Because top/bottom is subjective, what are you making accurate?

I think people underestimate how much a difference a completely automated strike zone would make to the game. I don't think it's necessary but I understand that's probably a minority opinion.

Really people would just not care as much if they weren't being shown how a pitch might be a millimeter off the plate every single pitch and thus get increasingly more mad every time an ump makes a bad call.