Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

A couple games have been showing some stats or something on screen. Never had this happen on the LCD Deck.

How do I disable this?
That's not the usual Steam Deck performance overlay; are you sure it's not some Decky mod you've installed acting up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Detective No. 27 posted:

A couple games have been showing some stats or something on screen. Never had this happen on the LCD Deck.

How do I disable this?

I don't have an OLED but this user was having the same issue, it's apparently in settings: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/s/mYW81DqQU7

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
That's the HDR Visualisation, near the bottom of the Display settings.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Where in Europe is recommended to go for switch oled skins? Realise it’s only been out for a week so there’s probably not a huge market for them, but I’d appreciate having a website I can keep an eye on

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

ColdIronsBound posted:

Where in Europe is recommended to go for switch oled skins? Realise it’s only been out for a week so there’s probably not a huge market for them, but I’d appreciate having a website I can keep an eye on

Hmm.

But if you meant the Steam Deck OLED, I am assured the dimensions being the same mean that any already available ones should work. The bigger screen is simply eating into the bezel on the OG, so the physical size of the device is identical. Dbrand should have all sorts.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am getting a gaming PC for my kid. He's ten though and it looks like for Steam you need to be at least 13. Should I just create an account and adjust the birthday? It looks like I can do a family link to give him access to the games I already have of my choosing, does anybody have experience with that, is it really easy?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

uiruki posted:

That's the HDR Visualisation, near the bottom of the Display settings.

This was it. I must have turned it on when messing around without knowing what it did.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I am getting a gaming PC for my kid. He's ten though and it looks like for Steam you need to be at least 13. Should I just create an account and adjust the birthday? It looks like I can do a family link to give him access to the games I already have of my choosing, does anybody have experience with that, is it really easy?

it's time to teach your child how to lie

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I wonder if putting a skin on it is enough insulation to make the thermals start looking more like a regular Deck again. Almost undoubtedly not, but I'm curious how much hotter it will run.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Fuzz posted:

I wonder if putting a skin on it is enough insulation to make the thermals start looking more like a regular Deck again. Almost undoubtedly not, but I'm curious how much hotter it will run.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is it the same SSD form factor and analog stick replacements for the OLED?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Heran Bago posted:

Is it the same SSD form factor and analog stick replacements for the OLED?

SSD yes, Sticks no

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I’ve dealt with child accounts the past few years and it’s just easier to set up an adult account, I haven’t met a child account that isn’t a pain in the rear end. Steam library sharing is easy to set up.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

SSD replacement: there's now a black tape that runs across the bottom of the shield that covers the SSD. The SSD itself is at the bottom left of that shield area, facing down now instead of to the right as in the OG LCD - the screw is at the bottom.

So I chose not to remove the tape from the shield or to remove the shield entirely. There's enough wiggle room with the tape on to remove and replace the SSD. Valve put two bends in the tape on either side of the shield just so you can lift the shield with the tape in place. Great design all around - the orientation of the SSD is thoughtful too for replacing it with the shield still on the tape.

Don't forget to put the Deck in battery storage mode first! And disconnect the battery as the first thing you do. Keep a charger handy to bring it out of battery storage mode when you're done replacing.

I forgot to have the battery below 80% before going into battery storage mode this time around, as Valve recommend. Had no problems bringing it out of that mode, but should have drained the battery a bit first.

I wonder if there will be an issue if you're so fully charged up the Deck won't even register the charger and leave you stuck in battery storage mode.

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug
Does anyone have wake on LAN working for the deck when it's docked in the Valve dock? Searches seem inconclusive as to whether it works at all.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there a way to make a folder on my windows 11 desktop shareable to my deck over my home network? I want to move my ROMs over to EmuDeck but I don’t have any hefty USB drives and my desktop won’t recognize the SD card once Steam formats it.

I can do it over a USB stick in several per-system transfers but I’d like to not.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

Is there a way to make a folder on my windows 11 desktop shareable to my deck over my home network? I want to move my ROMs over to EmuDeck but I don’t really have any big USB drives and my desktop won’t recognize the SD card once Steam formats it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/ta8bv8/how_to_transfer_files_from_windows_to_steam_deck/

this makes your Steam Deck discoverable on your home network to SCP/FTP clients. I use WinSCP on my laptop and AndFTP on my phone

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Perfect!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Well my quick trip report in my attempt to play AC4 using Ubisoft Connect. I used NonSteamGameLauncher to install Ubisoft Connect without any issue, but everytime I try to start AC4 it asks for my password (online or offline mode) and when I enter my password it freezes up on the first loading screen. :negative:

In case anybody cares or has the same issue, I switched compatibility to proton experimental and AC4 now works. :toot:

It did not have cloud saving so I had to transfer over my saves with a USB stick, but that was pretty straightforward.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

OLED deck out for delivery today! Just wanted to let everyone know :D

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

John DiFool posted:

It’s real good.

I am like 10 hours into spider man on the deck and the battery life is so much better it’s kinda ridiculous.

It’s quite AF too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Been playing Cyberpunk again and 30fps at 90hz is buttery smooth. It feels so much more responsive. Absolutely wild.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
A small screen with the right combination of a (consistent) framerate and refresh rate is really eye opening. I'm the kind of turbonerd who gets really annoyed by framerate issues and I generally found 30fps perfectly fine on most games even with the LCD deck. It's an extremely good target for a handheld device where playing competitive games is even sillier than usual.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

John DiFool posted:

Mine was out for delivery today, the tracking counted down to "4 stops ahead of you" and then it switched to "could not be delivered" :smithicide:
GLS is the worst

grieving for Gandalf posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/ta8bv8/how_to_transfer_files_from_windows_to_steam_deck/

this makes your Steam Deck discoverable on your home network to SCP/FTP clients. I use WinSCP on my laptop and AndFTP on my phone

Thank you for telling them to use ssh/scp instead of installing an FTP server

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Paradoxish posted:

A small screen with the right combination of a (consistent) framerate and refresh rate is really eye opening. I'm the kind of turbonerd who gets really annoyed by framerate issues and I generally found 30fps perfectly fine on most games even with the LCD deck. It's an extremely good target for a handheld device where playing competitive games is even sillier than usual.

The 40 FPS rate they brought about many updates back was great as a compromise between 60 and 30 in getting a good TDP and smooth gameplay for shooters etc.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

My LE is out for delivery today, I thought you all wanted to know.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

The 40 FPS rate they brought about many updates back was great as a compromise between 60 and 30 in getting a good TDP and smooth gameplay for shooters etc.

It is, but now with the OLED is even better running at 40fps/80hz. Or even better 45fps/90hz.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Also, despite what the numbers might make you think, 40 FPS is exactly in the middle between 30 and 60 FPS:

30 FPS = 1 Frame every 33.33 ms
40 FPS = 1 Frame every 25 ms (8.33 ms faster than 30FPS)
60 FPS = 1 Frame every 16.67 ms (half of 30 FPS, 8.33 ms faster than 40 FPS)

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Mine is on its way and is currently a block from me. Yes, I bookmarked the tracking website and have been following it all morning

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

actually I kinda wish I got the 512gb model instead of the LE. The body is AWESOME looking, sure, but apparently the etched glass dims the colors a tad and you can’t put a screen protector on it without downgrading the image (glossy screen protector ruins the etched glass feature, matte screen protectors in conjunction with the etched glass ruins the image quality.) so I kinda have to play with this thing naked which… is unnerving.

and in regards to space I could just take the 512gb HD out and replace it with a 2tb sd. which I’d feel pretty good doing with a generic model rather than the LE model.

ah well, the LE body is beautiful. really should just be a choice and not a limited thing.

I put a tempered glass screen protector on my LE because there's just too much chance of mucking up the screen even if you are babying the thing. I used one of these and haven't seen any noticeable downgrading of the image quality but YMMV: https://www.amazon.com/Magglass-Tempered-Designed-Protector-Anti-Glare/dp/B09X82S4XL?th=1

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wow EmuDeck really removed a lot of the learning curve of setting up an emulator front end.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Bummer, none of my screwdrivers or heads will fit the back of the OLED. Internet suggests TR6 is the right fit, looks like mine cut out at TR7 so guess I'm hopping out to the store soon.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're
Does Steamdeck support copying games over from a pc by hard-wired connection in addition to wifi? Would be great if stuff could get copied straight through usb-c instead of my particular local wireless set-up, which winds up being about 50% slower than just downloadin the drat thing fresh all over again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Play with it naked, it's hard as gently caress to scratch the etched glass.

Well made screens don't actually need protectors. Look at your average high end watch bezel.

Yeah, I haven't had a screen crack/break on a device in many years, despite never using screen protectors or cases on my phones. I think the last time it happened to me was on the iPhone 4.

I'd be more worried about the internals being damaged than the screen if I dropped my Steam Deck. I guess if someone constantly walks around while using their Deck maybe? I think it's mostly a psychological thing at this point (or people who wrongly think that the Deck's screen is easily scratched).

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT posted:

Does Steamdeck support copying games over from a pc by hard-wired connection in addition to wifi? Would be great if stuff could get copied straight through usb-c instead of my particular local wireless set-up, which winds up being about 50% slower than just downloadin the drat thing fresh all over again.

I’m gonna piggyback on your question. I use WinSCP and an official Valve dock connected via Ethernet to transfer files to and fro. I noticed the Dock has its own IP address but when I try to connect to it in WinSCP it doesn’t accept the login for the Deck user. Is there a different login I should be using or should I just be using the IP address for the Deck itself?

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Tamba posted:

Mine was out for delivery today, the tracking counted down to "4 stops ahead of you" and then it switched to "could not be delivered" :smithicide:
GLS is the worst

Hope it arrives soon.

OLED in hand, vibrant colors, deep blacks. Inhaling deep of the vent fumes. Early Christmas!

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Got mine in, swapped the HD (kind of pain with the new zif cable placement), screen looks amazing...no audio coming out of the speakers at all. Headphones work, but nothing else.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT posted:

Like a laptop, using a USB-C network adapter or dock? Absolutely!

Like a phone, using a USB-C to USB type A cable? Naw.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can the Deck not (be made to) do USB OTG? I thought Linux supported that pretty well these days, including IP-over-USB. That’s too bad if it can’t.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Has anyone tried playing 2077 with the improved trackpads? I’m doing a fresh playthrough for fun with the trackpad for aiming.

Fine aiming is working well, much better than the joystick. Quickly rotating the camera, I haven't gotten used to or gotten a feel for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

god dammit I really want an OLED steam deck..................

should I sell my LCD one and get it?!