Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Caesar Saladin posted:

I just started this and the main guy is awesome, but the other host just seems to scream all the time, even over the clips that he plays. Does he ever like, settle down?

Did you find the OP useful? I haven’t updated it in a while. Since the court rulings, Alex has been slowly evaporating in Xeno’s bankruptcy hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Formulaic Objections are infinitely replayable

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Morter posted:

Formulaic Objections are infinitely replayable

I've gone through all of them three times I think? Maybe four? They're a balm for my soul. Listening to Jones get force-fed some curb via liberal application of legal boot to back of skull is just refreshing. They've even aged well with more recent episodes where you can see him breaking down and cracking under the pressure.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

bird food bathtub posted:

I've gone through all of them three times I think? Maybe four? They're a balm for my soul. Listening to Jones get force-fed some curb via liberal application of legal boot to back of skull is just refreshing. They've even aged well with more recent episodes where you can see him breaking down and cracking under the pressure.

Seriously listening to alex stumble into all of bankston’s word traps, knowing how poorly it goes, is like eating a piece of candy

His repeated attempts to whine about clips being edited is super funny

Edit: paul joseph watson makes me want to eat glass, his testimony in the deposition is super loving frustrating when he is trying to argue that the journalistic standard should not be applied to infowars

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 21, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Xakura posted:

Jordan reacting to stuff is mostly fine. Jordan trying to explain stuff or offering solutions is insufferable.

Yeah, I'm a pro-Jordan who finds him invaluable to the show but he has no idea what he's talking about most of the time. Fortunately it often leads to Dan having a "uh??? the gently caress no" reaction which I always laugh at.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jordan is a human Golden Retriever and I will take no questions on this

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

rotinaj posted:

Edit: paul joseph watson makes me want to eat glass, his testimony in the deposition is super loving frustrating when he is trying to argue that the journalistic standard should not be applied to infowars

Ah, you see, Alex wears many hats and journalist is only one of them. Ergo, he is not a journalist. I hope this makes sense

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

rotinaj posted:

Seriously listening to alex stumble into all of bankston’s word traps, knowing how poorly it goes, is like eating a piece of candy

His repeated attempts to whine about clips being edited is super funny

Also been listening to those early FO episodes, and it's funny how in the first of those episodes Dan doesn't even know "the prosecutor"'s name, and years later Mark and Bill would come guest on the show.

God, though, parts of those are just that meme with Patrick being shown a picture. Mark will will be walking Alex or some Infowars guy through some very simple cause-and-effet and it'll go like...
"Do you agree that X?"
"Yes."
"And that if X, therefore Y?"
"Yes."
"And if Y, then (something damning to Alex and Infowars)?"
"...Listen, I didn't kill those kids."

Alex depositions really highlight how he seems incapable of acknowledging that he's harmed people in any way. Reminds me of the way he constantly says poo poo like "I'll be the first to say I'm not perfect", but when providing examples it's always things like eating and drinking too much, behaviors that at the end of the day hurt him way more than anyone else.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fred is on posted:

Alex depositions really highlight how he seems incapable of acknowledging that he's harmed people in any way. Reminds me of the way he constantly says poo poo like "I'll be the first to say I'm not perfect", but when providing examples it's always things like eating and drinking too much, behaviors that at the end of the day hurt him way more than anyone else.

Its a joke in the trump lol thread but it’s because he has that conservative mindset where there are Good People and Bad People, and only Bad People do Crimes or Hurt People. If someone who is a Good Person Did a Hurt Someone, then that is an outlier and totally being taken out of context and a zillion other excuses.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Yeah, i love beholding alex squirm but it's frustrating how much he fell back on the 'I don't lie ON PURPOSE like THE MEDIA does'. I was out-yelling Jordan in certain moments.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Xakura posted:

Jordan reacting to stuff is mostly fine. Jordan trying to explain stuff or offering solutions is insufferable.
Jordan's an anarchist at heart, so he falls into the trap of "Why do we as a species do this?" "A bunch of very practical reasons" "Yeah but why though?" very easily.

I say this as a fellow anarchist that falls into those traps a lot.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I'm a staunch Jordan apologist, but even I will admit that his attempts at analogies completely miss the mark at least half the time.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Always when the boys try to take a break:

https://www.rawstory.com/alex-jones-sandy-hook-2658729035/

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

This is from last year?

quote:

Brad Reed
November 21, 2022 1:13PM ET

The linked article is from 2022 too

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Huh. My news aggregator some how let that float to the top. Mia culpa.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It always happens a year before vacation

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am sure this has all been exhaustively litigated in the past, but I figure more convo about the formulaic objections episodes is a good thing.

Wolfgang Halbig was literally having a mental breakdown during his stalking of the sandy hook parents, right? I don’t want to go so far as to call him schizophrenic, but the lines from his stalker letter about the “filthy and deplorable school” where he repeatedly uses that phrase is coming through as a truly crazy person ranting. I have seen a few mentally ill folks in the past handing out handwritten sheets of paper with what they saw as incredibly important truths, and they very often will have one or two magic phrases they keep circling back to.

Also, Daria and her “i want to hope that the children are alive” song and dance is insulting.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I only recently listened to FO for the first time, so I'm down for talking about it. The Halbig letter was so bizarre. I genuinely thought I got an audio error that made Jordan read over the same passages. Daria is also just a monster for that comment.

One bugbear in my mind is that I wonder how much different the punishment would have been had Alex and his people just shown actual remorse. Their guilt is undebatable, but I could have possibly imagined punishments equaling less than a billion dollars had their lines been "We're sorry and what we did was awful" Instead of "I didn't kill those kids" or "I think the parents are bad people for not wanting to think their kids are still alive."

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Couldn't have loving hurt lol.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I only recently listened to FO for the first time, so I'm down for talking about it. The Halbig letter was so bizarre. I genuinely thought I got an audio error that made Jordan read over the same passages. Daria is also just a monster for that comment.

One bugbear in my mind is that I wonder how much different the punishment would have been had Alex and his people just shown actual remorse. Their guilt is undebatable, but I could have possibly imagined punishments equaling less than a billion dollars had their lines been "We're sorry and what we did was awful" Instead of "I didn't kill those kids" or "I think the parents are bad people for not wanting to think their kids are still alive."

Their monstrous behavior and lack of remorse definitely had to do with why the punishment was so severe. A big part of sentencing afaik hinges on whether or not it seems like the person being punished is likely to reoffend. The fact that alex constantly redirected into “i didn’t kill those kids but I think everybody should look into sandy hook for themselves” meant that if he is not kept from being able to reoffend, he will absolutely do so. The company line that anyone who doesn’t want those children to have been alive at the superbowl and not shot to death in newtown doesnt have love in their heart or whatever the gently caress nutso christofascist bullshit daria was spewing means there is no institutional feelings that what they were doing to the parents was wrong. So, drop the hammer, they flat out will do this again.

That’s my take at least.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Alex can't give any substantive, figurative ground to the idea that what he said was 'wrong', so that way as he's punished, he's attacked/punished for 'opinions'/'questions'/'asking people to research'.

"I'm not SAYING [x] but (proceeds with 3 minute diatribe directly implying [x])"

This way, any consequences are unfair/unjust.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Morter posted:

Alex can't give any substantive, figurative ground to the idea that what he said was 'wrong', so that way as he's punished, he's attacked/punished for 'opinions'/'questions'/'asking people to research'.

"I'm not SAYING [x] but (proceeds with 3 minute diatribe directly implying [x])"

This way, any consequences are unfair/unjust.

Yep.

rotinaj posted:

Its a joke in the trump lol thread but it’s because he has that conservative mindset where there are Good People and Bad People, and only Bad People do Crimes or Hurt People. If someone who is a Good Person Did a Hurt Someone, then that is an outlier and totally being taken out of context and a zillion other excuses.

I am so glad that we have gotten those mental breakdown on air episodes recently to kinda capstone the bullshit he was doing in these depositions

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Halbig definitely feels like someone with a mental issue instead of just a grifter/rear end in a top hat.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

rotinaj posted:

Their monstrous behavior and lack of remorse definitely had to do with why the punishment was so severe. A big part of sentencing afaik hinges on whether or not it seems like the person being punished is likely to reoffend. The fact that alex constantly redirected into “i didn’t kill those kids but I think everybody should look into sandy hook for themselves” meant that if he is not kept from being able to reoffend, he will absolutely do so. The company line that anyone who doesn’t want those children to have been alive at the superbowl and not shot to death in newtown doesnt have love in their heart or whatever the gently caress nutso christofascist bullshit daria was spewing means there is no institutional feelings that what they were doing to the parents was wrong. So, drop the hammer, they flat out will do this again.

That’s my take at least.

On paper, sure, this sounds great. We live in Hellworld though and our :airquote: :airquote: :airquote: Justice :airquote: :airquote: :airquote: system very solidly reflects that. You'll never find it written down on paper, and you'll hear the exact opposite until the ends of the earth, but in truth Jones isn't being hammered specifically to prevent him from doing it again. He spent loving YEARS being handled with kid gloves, given second, third, fourth, fifth.....seventy second, seventy third and more chances. He absolutely had access to the platinum-member treatment by the justice system where the rich can do what they want then pay lawyers to purchase the preferred outcome from the courts. He spent, again, YEARS escaping the immediately destructive consequences that ruin the lives of normal people not in the club instantly and permanently for even thinking hard about doing a percent of a percent of the poo poo and shenanigans Jones pulled.

Part of that membership, though, is playing the game. You've got to keep the fig leaf on if you want to be at the party. Jones just absolutely refused to play and screamed in the judge's face the whole way "gently caress you, gently caress your party, you can't make me!" until the system was forced to accept that he wasn't going to abide by the upper-class gentleman's agreements that money buys access to and the system had to eventually actually do something to him.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I think the thing which will result in this heading to a endpoint sooner rather than later is that Alex is now being forced to actually pay his own lawyers, which he apparently can no longer afford to do. Alex is so spiteful that he wanted to run his creditors ragged, while also using the bankruptcy to stiff having to pay his lawyers for the work they did for him.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
On top of the remorselessness, the big takeaway from all the denialism and blame shifting was that there are no journalistic standards at FSS, Alex is the only thing resembling a gatekeeper, and he has no concept of ethics whatsoever and never even considered training anyone on the legal obligations of their jobs.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

On paper, sure, this sounds great. We live in Hellworld though and our :airquote: :airquote: :airquote: Justice :airquote: :airquote: :airquote: system very solidly reflects that. You'll never find it written down on paper, and you'll hear the exact opposite until the ends of the earth, but in truth Jones isn't being hammered specifically to prevent him from doing it again. He spent loving YEARS being handled with kid gloves, given second, third, fourth, fifth.....seventy second, seventy third and more chances. He absolutely had access to the platinum-member treatment by the justice system where the rich can do what they want then pay lawyers to purchase the preferred outcome from the courts. He spent, again, YEARS escaping the immediately destructive consequences that ruin the lives of normal people not in the club instantly and permanently for even thinking hard about doing a percent of a percent of the poo poo and shenanigans Jones pulled.

Part of that membership, though, is playing the game. You've got to keep the fig leaf on if you want to be at the party. Jones just absolutely refused to play and screamed in the judge's face the whole way "gently caress you, gently caress your party, you can't make me!" until the system was forced to accept that he wasn't going to abide by the upper-class gentleman's agreements that money buys access to and the system had to eventually actually do something to him.

That was one bit that stuck with me, in one of the interviews with Bankston. That they walked into the default judgment assuming that Alex's lawyers would show up with cases full of the "sources" just in time to drag everything out for another 6 months or year. I guess hitting the financial stuff in CT just flipped a switch and they felt like they couldn't stall anymore.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I've started listening to the Formulaic Objections episodes from the start. I'm about 45 minutes into the first one.

I don't know how long I'll be able to last through them all, to be honest. Hearing Alex and his lawyers act monsterously, dismissively, and try to run semantic circles to deflect, even for this short about of time, is exhausting, soul-draining stuff. "It's an edited video, this is out of context, that was years and years ago, etc." as a last ditch attempt, in every single sentence, would have me absolutely screaming.

Kudos to everyone who's gotten through all of them. Kudos to the lawyers and their patience to see this through.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I've started listening to the Formulaic Objections episodes from the start. I'm about 45 minutes into the first one.

I don't know how long I'll be able to last through them all, to be honest. Hearing Alex and his lawyers act monsterously, dismissively, and try to run semantic circles to deflect, even for this short about of time, is exhausting, soul-draining stuff. "It's an edited video, this is out of context, that was years and years ago, etc." as a last ditch attempt, in every single sentence, would have me absolutely screaming.

Kudos to everyone who's gotten through all of them. Kudos to the lawyers and their patience to see this through.

There are some specifics you're missing out on, but that's a pretty representative sample. There are a bunch of different shitbags doing different kinds of shitbaggery, but if you don't want to listen to weasely shitbags, that's kind of the whole thing. You might want to just skip most of the Formulaic Objections.

...except for number 3, the Roger Stone one, which is a totally separate and personal thing with him. That one is instead two shitbags shitbagging each other and might be much more entertaining because there's no collateral damage. It's just two people who suck being spiteful in a bag where they can't hurt anyone else.

Also Roger Stone is the cattiest little bitch in the world.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Captain Hotbutt posted:

If part one gets to be too much you can skip to part 5. Kit Daniels could not run semantic circles around a Teddy Ruxbin doll.

If you're going to keep going chronologically just know that you don't have long before you get to the second deposition of the second Formulaic Objections episode: Rob Dew. Specifically, you will hear Rob Dew deposed as a corporate representative of Free Speech systems, and it will quickly become clear that Rob Dew does not know what any of that means. If you wanna skip straight to that it's at 49:43.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Xiahou Dun posted:

There are some specifics you're missing out on, but that's a pretty representative sample. There are a bunch of different shitbags doing different kinds of shitbaggery, but if you don't want to listen to weasely shitbags, that's kind of the whole thing. You might want to just skip most of the Formulaic Objections.

...except for number 3, the Roger Stone one, which is a totally separate and personal thing with him. That one is instead two shitbags shitbagging each other and might be much more entertaining because there's no collateral damage. It's just two people who suck being spiteful in a bag where they can't hurt anyone else.

Also Roger Stone is the cattiest little bitch in the world.

Dan really does not convey how hard Stone is gurning the entire time. I was shocked the first time I saw the video and I had listened to the episode multiple times at that point.

Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1G2hi6ODac

Full depo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJmJqhCyuJU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

If you're going to keep going chronologically just know that you don't have long before you get to the second deposition of the second Formulaic Objections episode: Rob Dew. Specifically, you will hear Rob Dew deposed as a corporate representative of Free Speech systems, and it will quickly become clear that Rob Dew does not know what any of that means. If you wanna skip straight to that it's at 49:43.

The rob dew episode, the interview with daria, and the interview with the hired corporate representstive are all a lot of fun to listen to, imo

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Dan really does not convey how hard Stone is gurning the entire time. I was shocked the first time I saw the video and I had listened to the episode multiple times at that point.

Highlights

Full depo

i know the right wing like to make fun of peoples normal tics and habits as signs of a disturbed individual or possessed by demons but im pretty sure those are videos of a summon I got in Shin Megemi 5

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Highlights

Full depo

LMAO what the gently caress it's like LA Noire.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Pretty sure Roger was tweaking out on something that whole time. From memory of that video when it came out I think he's also grinding his teeth a whole bunch too.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
The parts of Alex's testimony that would have made me lose my temper and start screaming in his face were his pauses following each question.

Mark: Mr. Jones are you aware your birthday is this date?

*35 second pause*

Alex: Well, I know that I was given cake and presents on that day a few times but I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Mark: Thank you, Mr. Jones.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

His pants have seem some crazy poo poo too

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Pennsylvanian posted:

The parts of Alex's testimony that would have made me lose my temper and start screaming in his face were his pauses following each question.

Mark: Mr. Jones are you aware your birthday is this date?

*35 second pause*

Alex: Well, I know that I was given cake and presents on that day a few times but I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Mark: Thank you, Mr. Jones.

Ridiculous amounts of dead air is just standard alex jones though

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pretty sure Roger was tweaking out on something that whole time. From memory of that video when it came out I think he's also grinding his teeth a whole bunch too.

he is absolutely grinding to the point of being medically 'in rigor' the majority of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Stone does look unhinged, but gently caress me, Clayman basically set up the worst deposition I've ever heard of.