Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Octopath 2 has the same "party members don't really interact with each other" problem as the first game? Well there goes most of my interest.

everyone else gets zapped to the phantom zone for each member's chapter scenes with very limited skit-type dialogues throughout, which only trigger if you have the appropriate people in your active party. it's like Tales with a severe head injury

at least OT2 lets you view all the skits you missed once you've completed the chapter in question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

pixel bitches posted:

Like who cares? I honestly have no idea why ppl are stuck up on this so hard. All 8 characters are always together yet simultaneously they're not. Just accept the game as it's presented instead of wishing it was something else. Play a different game if it bothers you that much lol

This is a terribly stupid way to live your life. I can enjoy playing something and really feel let down by parts of it. I can even discuss those parts like a normal person and not desperately deflect any issues like this!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i want to be in the room where it happens, cloud strife

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

i want to be in the room where it happens, cloud strife

If I can prove that I never touched my balls will you, Maester Seymour, promise to never tell a soul what you saw?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is a terribly stupid way to live your life. I can enjoy playing something and really feel let down by parts of it. I can even discuss those parts like a normal person and not desperately deflect any issues like this!

Lol wtf are you talking about

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

pixel bitches posted:

Lol wtf are you talking about

You responding to people saying "Yeah the story is still an unconnected blob" with "just play another game!"

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You responding to people saying "Yeah the story is still an unconnected blob" with "just play another game!"

I really genuinely don't understand why "the story is an unconnected blob" is even a problem in the first place

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't think having multiple POV characters stay separate is necessarily a problem that has to be fixed in what is basically an anthology series. Not every anthology has the stories build up to something, either. I think people get tripped up because the party is a gameplay entity and not a narrative one.

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 24, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

pixel bitches posted:

I really genuinely don't understand why "the story is an unconnected blob" is even a problem in the first place

there is this thing call ludonarrative dissonance. look it up, you will get a lot farther, by being a lot smarter.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

pixel bitches posted:

it's disconnected-feeling to me. I dropped Octopath 2

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

pixel bitches posted:

Because it's lot of character focused narratives where those characters basically only exist in small vignettes hours and hours of content apart so most of the time everything feels not built up to and weak for it, where any other jrpg with a party would have had long stretches where characters are interacting with one another, often changing each other as people as they go so the character focused moments have any weight to them at all.

mycot posted:

I don't think having multiple POV characters stay separate is necessarily a problem that has to be fixed in what is basically an anthology series. I think people get tripped up because the party is a gameplay entity and not a narrative one.

The issue there is you have to instead beef up the writing in each story then to give those focal characters any arc or weight and they don't do that either.

And since the focus of the game are these very signposted and lined out character stories, that's kind of an issue. Especially since the game forces you to go out of your way to go grab other characters and have them show up to all the big moments but they just have to stand there off camera a bit. It feels lifeless and boring. Either be an actual anthology or don't, these half measures just make the writing's weaker parts stick out like sore thumbs. Live-a-live would be a lot worse if you were dragging across the full cast, lifeless and silent, through each characters' setting and story.

Also genuinely, if your reaction to people discussing what failed for them is to go "They just don't understand narrative constructs" I think you might have a losing hand.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 24, 2023

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

pixel bitches posted:

Like who cares? I honestly have no idea why ppl are stuck up on this so hard. All 8 characters are always together yet simultaneously they're not. Just accept the game as it's presented instead of wishing it was something else. Play a different game if it bothers you that much lol

I care, and I did play a different game

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

mycot posted:

I don't think having multiple POV characters stay separate is necessarily a problem that has to be fixed in what is basically an anthology series. Not every anthology has the stories build up to something, either. I think people get tripped up because the party is a gameplay entity and not a narrative one.

Well said

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Albus Bernstein
My name is Albus Bernstein
And there's a million things I haven't done
But just you wait, just you wait

troubleshooter on sale now

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don’t think he would say that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sion Bloodwalker
My name is Sion Bloodwalker
And there's a million things I haven't done
But just you wait, just you wait

troubleshooter on sale now

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

there's a million things he hasn't done yet. pretty good chances to say that imo

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Sometimes this thread is reminiscent of the early 00s when we were teenagers and posting like teenagers.

if you don't like game mechanic your just stupid lol

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

pixel bitches posted:

I did play a different game, actually.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Video Games are not just a story telling medium. They're multimedia experiences and the writting/narrative are only a small part of that. It seems insane to me to get so hung up on a slightly unconventional narrative structure in a game like octopath 2 when everything else about the game is so strong. The writing isn't even bad lol

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
If you thought the writing was bad and flat I don't think that would change if there were 7 talking heads or everyone got recuited to the Octopath Initiative but that is sort of a tangent.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean it's not about lacking a specific singular linear story structure it's that the way octopath does it feels weird even compared to a notably weird other rpg that does a similar thing like SaGa Frontier, where you only really focus on the selected party member but the game will play around a bit with how all the different characters interact when they do encounter each other and which ones will be willing to join others and so on

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Octopath 2 was good but it would be even better if there were more interactions between characters. Some of those interstitial chapters are the best in the game, and clearly Square agreed with feedback from Octo 1 because they added more of them. I don't think it's a particularly egregious complaint, to want more party-based dynamics in a party-based JRPG.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

pixel bitches posted:

Video Games are not just a story telling medium. They're multimedia experiences and the writting/narrative are only a small part of that. It seems insane to me to get so hung up on a slightly unconventional narrative structure in a game like octopath 2 when everything else about the game is so strong. The writing isn't even bad lol

The job system in OP2 was not nearly good enough for me to get over thinking "i think these characters from eight different walks of life should maybe interact and learn from one another to solve their own personal problems"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like idk i guess i get why octopath does what it does but i have much more respect for making an anthology rpg where two lead characters are named Red and Blue, and blue will never join into red's party because he doesn't like that his name is red

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly the parts where they do interact like the little skits feel even MORE out of place because we skip the part where they meet and get to know each other and jump straight to the part where they're already kind of friendly even though they have absolutely no reason to be.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Clarste posted:

Honestly the parts where they do interact like the little skits feel even MORE out of place because we skip yhe part where they meet and get to know each other straight to the part where they're already kind of friendly even though they have absolutely no reason to be.

It's called using your imagination.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I can imagine playing a better game so I did.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Draga posted:

Good. I did notice that with a couple of trial chests that I didn't have the party members for but I'm glad I didn't miss much. I like the chest jokes.

Yeah the reason they're not in any future game after Azure (except those trial chests in CS2) is because chests in the earlier games were coded like, NPCs to interact with that a) gave you an item and b) once it did not have an item, gave you a line that said it did not have an item (which the localization changed to make those jokes), and after Azure you can't interact with chests after opening them, so

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Idk I personally would rather judge something based on what it is than what it isnt

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you would think a game about following 8 different perspective's would help others conceptualize that there are minds that could dislike the framing story. but its conflicts like these that make the rpg thread the best thread on the games forum.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

pixel bitches posted:

Idk I personally would rather judge something based on what it is than what it isnt

Come on man

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lets all try and come up with better names for octopath traveler and triangle strategy, since everyone always remarks on what bad names they are

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

They're both better than Unicorn Overload

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
unicorn overlord is an awesome name

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
can you think of anything that sounds more memorable than unicorn overlord

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Colonel posted:

can you think of anything that sounds more memorable than unicorn overlord

asuka 120% burning fest

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you tried to ask me which asuka 120% game is which i would not be able to tell you. but i definitely remember asuka 120% burning fest

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tristrat is a good name because it can be abbreviated to something snappy like Tristrat. Don't think Octopath has that going which is a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The best worst rpg title is Two Worlds 2