Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Away all Goats posted:

What is wifi calling? Isn't it the same thing as making a call through whatsapp/discord/whatever?

No, it's having your calls and texts be carried on your home or office wifi. You could be at home or in the office, put your phone on airplane mode and then turn Wi-Fi on, and have your calls and texts still work. Likely be better quality too, as your phone won't be struggling to find or maintain connection with a cell tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

What is wifi calling? Isn't it the same thing as making a call through whatsapp/discord/whatever?

When the phone's signal is poor enough, the phone automatically can fall over to your local wifi for making and receiving calls. You have to flag an address for E911 purposes, so you can't just run around using wifi calling everywhere.

I have really really poor cell service where I live. In the back yard I get Canadian towers, in the driveway I'm roaming in the US and throughout most of the house I have a single bar. Wifi calling is a Godsend.

On the iPhone, at least, the whole wifi calling process is almost invisible.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 25, 2023

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

mewse posted:

Has anyone been able to switch from the public mobile 20GB deal to the 40GB one? Customer portal is completely dead afaict

I think I changed two lines, but it took me 13 minutes the first time, and 30 minutes the second time. I'd like to confirm the first one on the website, but I cant sign in at all now :)

Don't forget to press the confirm button on the right side after selecting the plan. It goes to a sort of preview the plan change page after selecting the plan you want, then you need to press the button on the right side to save the changes.

e: context
e2: confirmed account 1&2 are changed

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 25, 2023

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

why did koodo just let me upgrade my phone plan to a plan that's objectively better and 10 dollars cheaper

what in the world do they have to gain from this move

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Justin Trudeau personally promised all of us a telecom gift horse like a year ago and you are out here taking selfies of its mouth and counting its cellular teeth

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

blatman posted:

why did koodo just let me upgrade my phone plan to a plan that's objectively better and 10 dollars cheaper

They get to keep you as a customer

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Some VP is angling for a bonus based on retention numbers

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
it's 1:30am in ontario and Public's site is still cracking under the pressure just logging in

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Scudworth posted:

it's 1:30am in ontario and Public's site is still cracking under the pressure just logging in

Robelushallah

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
ok yeah that took about 15min to go through

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

blatman posted:

I went from 50 to 100gb on my plan today for the same price lmao

mewse
May 2, 2006

Scudworth posted:

I was able to switch plans on renewal at like 2am central time

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Worked fine this morning. Thanks for getting me to check, thread - got more data and $6 off my bill monthly with PM.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I went from 50 to 100gb on my plan today for the same price lmao

I did the same earlier this week and went down $10 doing it.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Rogers finally forced my ShawMobile account to switch over to them. It actually wasn't bad coverage, but in the last couple days my data has just stopped working despite not reaching the data cap yet.

I'm waiting for my billing cycle to roll over, but if that doesn't work, I think my return to Rogers is going to be brief. So long $10/1GB plan. It was nice while it lasted.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Well I just switched to $35/50GB 4G in Koodo self serve, didn't need to call and threatening them to leave at all. I was on the $35/25GB retention plan for a total of 9 days :v:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Pretty sure koodo used to make you wait until 90 days after a plan change to change it again? I'm only on month 2 of $65/75gb but they let me change to $55/80. Also tacked 10gb onto my moms plan for $10 less. This is insanity.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

My Koodo went from $60 for 20gb 2 weeks ago to $60 for 100gb last week to $45 for 60gb today. I'll take it!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yeah i feel like this year canadian cell plans are finally starting to catch up. after discounts / before taxes i’m now at $27/mo for 40gigs fast data with public mobile

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

codo27 posted:

Pretty sure koodo used to make you wait until 90 days after a plan change to change it again? I'm only on month 2 of $65/75gb but they let me change to $55/80. Also tacked 10gb onto my moms plan for $10 less. This is insanity.

That's what they say.

I switched to a plan last week that gave me more but was slightly more expensive and that should have been it because I was still within the billing cycle of 1 change (that's all it is, not 90 days) but after waxluthor's post I was like why not at least try? Worst they can say is no.

So last night I switched to another new plan that was the same thing except at the price I used to be paying. So ultimately they upgraded my plan for no cost.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mediaphage posted:

yeah i feel like this year canadian cell plans are finally starting to catch up. after discounts / before taxes i’m now at $27/mo for 40gigs fast data with public mobile

:hfive:

mewse
May 2, 2006

mediaphage posted:

It does feel like that, I wonder what happened. There's this article from 2020 about the liberals pretending to play hardball with the cartel, I wonder if they finally came through and we're about to lose all progress with a conservative govt

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

mewse posted:

It does feel like that, I wonder what happened. There's this article from 2020 about the liberals pretending to play hardball with the cartel, I wonder if they finally came through and we're about to lose all progress with a conservative govt

I mean, I'm not sure how the cons would make it any better.

Maybe Rogers will be forced to let you pay by bitcoin.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

Maybe Rogers will be forced to let you pay by bitcoin.

When Rogers first started issuing credit cards I was still with Fido and they pre-approved me for one. I switched to Public (and then Koodo) like a month later but I'm still using the card since they have pretty good cashback and foreign currency exchange rates compare to other big bank credit cards. I feel like Rogers is paying be to be with Telus :cool:

mewse
May 2, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

I mean, I'm not sure how the cons would make it any better.

That was just my cynicism talking but if robellus are finally dropping prices because they're being threatened with losing out on spectrum somehow, that seems like something the conservatives would instantly reverse because they are "business friendly"

e: and I don't want to start a politics derail, I'm genuinely curious why the carriers dropped prices when they've been price fixing for my entire adult life

mewse fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 27, 2023

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think you're vastly overestimating the gap between how "business friendly" the conservatives are versus the liberals

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

mewse posted:

e: and I don't want to start a politics derail, I'm genuinely curious why the carriers dropped prices when they've been price fixing for my entire adult life

They been running single-day intra-brand competitive deals for like a decade now. I got my XR iPhone for nothing and a gift card when Wind put it an ad directed at getting launch-window chatr customers to switch or something equally petty. But it’s grown to include more open flanker v. Fighter brand combat and it’s now important enough to become newsworthy again. You’ve just forgotten our shameful past like that time the rumoured expiration of a mobilicity 2gb deal was the lead story on the nightly Chinese news on cable 4.

The only difference is now we discovered we can goad the carriers into it by spending two weeks chanting “fight fight fight” like a showdown between bullies outside a high school lunch room.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Wait so Telus owns Koodo AND public mobile? Why do they have two budget brands?

If the service coverage is the same it looks like public has the best offer available to me; $34 for 30gb at 5G speed, vs everyone else offering $34-35 for 30gb at 4g speeds.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

If the service coverage is the same it looks like public has the best offer available to me; $34 for 30gb at 5G speed, vs everyone else offering $34-35 for 30gb at 4g speeds.

Public Mobile used to be separate but Telus bought them out intending to move the users to Koodo which went over very poorly to say the least.

At this point, not only has Telus completely backtracked, Public Mobile sometimes gets things faster than Koodo (like 5G). If only they'd implement Call Control into PM as well.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Rogers owns Fido and Chatr too.

Public's "monthly" plans are technically 30-day prepay plans, so it works out to be a little bit more than traditional monthly plans advertised at the same rate.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
PM seems to be positioned as their super budget brand as opposed to koodos merely budget brand. Like how Rogers has fido and chattr I think?

Maybe they roll some things out on PM to try to pull people in, then hope to upsell them to Koodo later.

PM also has no option for phone support afaik so if you're experiencing any kind of issue you are stuck with email, forums or twitter for getting help. Presumably that's one of the 'perks' of going up to koodo

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Squibbles posted:

PM also has no option for phone support afaik so if you're experiencing any kind of issue you are stuck with email, forums or twitter for getting help. Presumably that's one of the 'perks' of going up to koodo

Yeah and Koodo has tabs if you want to get a phone with a discount, although the tab plans are getting worse.

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 27, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i agree they probably planned on mostly shuttering it but koodo is postpaid isn’t it? while pm is prepaid. seems reasonable to have both of those sorts of services

mewse
May 2, 2006

waxluthor posted:

Public's "monthly" plans are technically 30-day prepay plans, so it works out to be a little bit more than traditional monthly plans advertised at the same rate.

Oh that makes sense why they didn't check my credit rating then. Good.

Squibbles posted:

PM also has no option for phone support afaik

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Just realized that public mobile's 40gb@5G / $34 offer is actually 40gb / 90 days, not per month. Sneaky sneaky.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Away all Goats posted:

Just realized that public mobile's 40gb@5G / $34 offer is actually 40gb / 90 days, not per month. Sneaky sneaky.

? No it isn't. It's 40GB/30 days. You have to subscribe for 90 days minimum, though.

I am a bit confused as to how they enforce that, just bill you regardless if you port out? I did sign up for a $50 plan for the first two cycles and will switch to the $34 plan on renewal which hopefully means $50 + $50 + $34 for the minimum 90 days.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 27, 2023

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

"data usage resets every 90 days" makes it sounds like you get 40gb for those 90 days? Would be great it if someone who actually signed up for this plan can confirm.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
For 90 day plans it's just to to reiterate you get all the data upfront. The $34 plan is a 30 day prepaid plan, not 90 day so it shouldn't apply hopefully

Squibbles posted:

PM seems to be positioned as their super budget brand as opposed to koodos merely budget brand. Like how Rogers has fido and chattr I think?

Maybe they roll some things out on PM to try to pull people in, then hope to upsell them to Koodo later.

I consider not dealing with shyster phone customer support a net positive. Calling these people is a waste of time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

For 90 day plans it's just to to reiterate you get all the data upfront. The $34 plan is a 30 day prepaid plan, not 90 day so it shouldn't apply hopefully

correct, this is a monthly plan

Away all Goats posted:

"data usage resets every 90 days" makes it sounds like you get 40gb for those 90 days? Would be great it if someone who actually signed up for this plan can confirm.

i'm reasonably confident that got left in there from a copy paste. they now delineate on their site between 30/90 day plans, the latter of which mostly seem these days to be 30 day plans that you get for 5/mo cheaper if you do 3 months at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
PM also doesn't sell phones, they're plans only. Which again