Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

This article is a banger

Biden refused to commit to winning!

May as well have stabbed Ukraine in the back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

VoicesCanBe posted:

I've been meaning to play it. How true is the claim that it's basically a historical materialism simulator?

It's Imperialism the highest stage of capitalism the game.

You're just trying to give your people a higher standard of living but you can't get cheap medicine so you invade Afghanistan for their opium and oh look the markets made me do it.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Egg Moron posted:

This article is a banger

Biden refused to commit to winning!

May as well have stabbed Ukraine in the back!

The Blinken wince clip is great.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Votskomit posted:

You're just trying to give your people a higher standard of living but you can't get cheap medicine so you invade Afghanistan for their opium and oh look the markets made me do it.

They're not exploiting their natural resources efficiently enough, we must bring the superior production methods to them.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Which of these strategic games can be played on Xbox? That soviet game is not on sale during capitalist holiday. Hows Anno?

If by soviet game, you mean Worker and ressource soviet republic, it is on sale until the 28th.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/784150/Workers__Resources_Soviet_Republic/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Which of these strategic games can be played on Xbox? That soviet game is not on sale during capitalist holiday. Hows Anno?

on an Xbox, you want to pick up Age of Empires 2, whose entire economic model basically hinges on Ricardian Labor Theory of Value

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

on an Xbox, you want to pick up Age of Empires 2, whose entire economic model basically hinges on Ricardian Labor Theory of Value

three people hitting the ground with a hammer makes cement dry faster than one, this is a fact

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Zelensky doesn't need any of this communism stuff, he needs strong open markets

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Votskomit posted:

Lostconfused posted:

They're not exploiting their natural resources efficiently enough, we must bring the superior production methods to them.

it's lol of course, but a bunch of friends here got the whole idea about imperialism after watching a couple of streams. There's something absolutely pedagogical about the game making you realize the thinking process that resulted in imperialism and how it is driven by structural forces

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://open4business.com.ua/en/metinvest-cuts-steel-production-by-43-pig-iron-by-46-and-coke-by-31/

quote:

“Metinvest reduced steel production by 43% year-on-year to 1.531 million tons in January-September this year, according to a press release from the parent company Metinvest B.V. on Wednesday, following the results of the third quarter and nine months of this year.

During this period, pig iron production decreased by 46% to 1.344 million tons, coke production by 31% to 948 thousand tons, and commercial coke production increased by 7% to 644 thousand tons.

At the same time, it is noted that due to the outbreak of Russia’s large-scale military aggression against Ukraine on February 24, 2022, Metinvest decided to suspend production at a number of its enterprises in Mariupol, Avdiivka and Zaporizhzhia, including Azovstal, Ilyich Iron and Steel Works of Mariupol, Avdiivka Coke and Zaporizhzhia Coke. Later, Zaporizhzhia-based enterprises of the Group resumed production.
So the largest steel production locations in Ukraine are(were) Mariupol and Dnepropetrovsk?

https://www.gem.wiki/Metallurgical_Plant_Kametstal

Does not seem good for western Ukraine.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 17:23 on Nov 24, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Doing science

Edit:

genericnick has issued a correction as of 17:49 on Nov 24, 2023

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Kadyrov on Telegram: feeling disloyal, might delete later idk.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Anyway, that's where it's from
https://twitter.com/Volod_Ishchenko/status/1722551098416734255#m

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!

Tankbuster posted:

they at least make their politics fun to watch.

when i say that south korean political culture is what caused me to start drinking this isnt what i meant

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thank you. Its already on my consumerist gamer pass.

Also is there a game for the IMF Washington Consensus connoisseurs? lower the interest rate to zero and lend money to small cpuntries with the condition of abolishing protectionism policies; buy up natural resources when you force them put up state resources and function for sale; raise the rate and call in the debt and make the countries sell more resources for cheap or declare bankruptcy; rinse and repeat.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

SimCity and Cities Skylines are the biggest rules based international order economics fans last time I checked.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

stephenthinkpad posted:

Thank you. Its already on my consumerist gamer pass.

Also is there a game for the IMF Washington Consensus connoisseurs? lower the interest rate to zero and lend money to small cpuntries with the condition of abolishing protectionism policies; buy up natural resources when you force them put up state resources and function for sale; raise the rate and call in the debt and make the countries sell more resources for cheap or declare bankruptcy; rinse and repeat.
the scams and irl crimes get all the attention but eve online technically has emergent economic imperialism, rentseeking, hostile market takeovers & monopolization n all that sorta Capital stuff

not that exact mechanism of 0 interest loans (bc no way to force payment, can't get court to put a lien on stuff) but effectively the same practice from different ends w/ material supplies, or by rent, or tax/tariff
ultrawealthy conglomerates forcing dependencies on weaker/poorer groups & exploiting their labor/resources, applying unilateral economic or industrial restrictions or unfair exchanges once they've forced economic captivity on their target

there's blocs that rent out space to groups and require a leadership position in the renter to be able to monitor finances and make sure they're not skipping on taxes, or they'll stick a base in their stuff or demand to hold some assets hostage so they can't back out or change allegiances easily

its the only game ive ever heard of with any of that stuff really

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Nov 24, 2023

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

FirstnameLastname posted:

the scams and irl crimes get all the attention but eve online technically has emergent economic imperialism, rentseeking, hostile market takeovers & monopolization n all that sorta Capital stuff

not that exact mechanism of 0 interest loans (bc no way to force payment, can't get court to put a lien on stuff) but effectively the same practice from different ends w/ material supplies, or by rent, or tax/tariff
ultrawealthy conglomerates forcing dependencies on weaker/poorer groups & exploiting their labor/resources, applying unilateral economic or industrial restrictions or unfair exchanges once they've forced economic captivity on their target

there's blocs that rent out space to groups and require a leadership position in the renter to be able to monitor finances and make sure they're not skipping on taxes, or they'll stick a base in their stuff or to hold some assets hostage so they can't back out or change allegiances easily

its the only game ive ever heard of with any of that stuff really

eve is more a feudalism simulator where power rests on control of space, rather than ownership of the means of production.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Space included peasants in feudalism.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Zodium posted:

eve is more a feudalism simulator where power rests on control of space, rather than ownership of the means of production.

stuff changed a lot, they made holding swathes of space pretty worthless and developing individual spots w/ sov how to get money out of somewhere, passive moon mining and moon POSes went away

also player built/owned dockable stations & jumpbridges changed things

like there was a playermade trade station one jump from Jita with the lowest possible broker fees that had all of the major power blocs in on an income-share deal iirc think 5 way? goonfleet got in on the deal by threatening to blow it up if they didn't

it fueled foreverwars for like 3 years from the tax revenue from the rest of the game's playerbase trading all their PLEX and skill injectors there, a majority of the game's public market volume was there at points & its trade fee income was all deposited into a player corp wallet

Lostconfused posted:

Space included peasants in feudalism.

there were peasants and rentseeking martial elites who did nothing productive and everything

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

FirstnameLastname posted:

there were peasants and rentseeking martial elites who did nothing productive and everything

and yet all of them were in space, tumbling at hundreds of thousands of miles a second around the great old sun

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Zodium posted:

its a moron simulator, you trick people into doing the most tedious stuff in any videogame imaginable so they can make you space money, and then sell that space money for real money

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mila kunis posted:

its a moron simulator, you trick people into doing the most tedious stuff in any videogame imaginable so they can make you space money, and then sell that space money for real money

Sounds like capitalism to me

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Nix Panicus posted:

they already said that

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yeah it’s what you would expect, I love the guy that still didn’t get that Keynesianism is a thing and you can’t just “spent your way to growth.”

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

under capitalism you don't have a choice, you are exploited so that you can survive. in eve, you do it because someone made a funny video about bees. different model

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Yeah it’s what you would expect, I love the guy that still didn’t get that Keynesianism is a thing and you can’t just “spent your way to growth.”

Didn't watch the Q&A session, not sure who you're talking about?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Didn't watch the Q&A session, not sure who you're talking about?

It was one of the presenters in the Q & A, he also made a big deal about Russians only earning $500 a month.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ardennes posted:

It was one of the presenters in the Q & A, he also made a big deal about Russians only earning $500 a month.

How much does staying alive cost per month in Russia?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ardennes posted:

More than anything else, there must be no other alternative to neoliberalism even when it's blatantly incapable of matching the productive forces of opponents that are supposedly inferior by orders of magnitudes.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

life is cheap in the orient

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

Russians prefer their bone meal lean

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Nix Panicus posted:

It depends where you are but there are places you probably could pay taxes/food/rent for about $300-400 (12% flat tax, $150 rent, $120-200 in food). That you also include health care and education. It would be just the basics essentially (you are going to be eating at home and may have a roommate) but life is quite low in dollar terms because everything is either price controlled or a public service or just is in such quantities (such as housing) that it isn’t backbreaking. Even the Moscow property market has cooled off a lot over time and rent for a studio is like $300-350 bucks. This is comparison to New York where it may be 6-8 times that.

It explains also why the Russians can put up a force for “nearly nothing” because wages/materials/land etc is so much cheaper in terms of direct exchange and it is being done by the state directly.

Danann posted:

More than anything else, there must be no other alternative to neoliberalism even when it's blatantly incapable of matching the productive forces of opponents that are supposedly inferior by orders of magnitudes.

I think also that in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union that the only type of economics being taught after 1991 was strict neoclassical “a government’s ledger is like a checkbook” style economics. It would literally blow the mind of these guys that you could spend money to make money.

Also one of the presentations bemoaned inflation because of “a labor shortage” ie wages are actually rising in Russia. Some of it is just overt bias but I don’t think Western academics can’t literally figure out even how state capitalism works at this point.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:31 on Nov 25, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Very obvious conclusion here that one round of shock therapy was not enough to teach the slavic mind the superiority of free market democratic economies.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I wonder since we have a cease fire in Gaza if Ukraine will start mattering again

It does seem like things are getting more difficult for Ukraine in the area of Avdiivka, with news of Ukrainian soldiers more or less withdrawing from the southern industrial subdivision closest to Donetsk city..

https://twitter.com/Suriyakmaps/status/1728202677392179443

just looking at this area on google maps and you can see that every building looks more or less leveled and there's an incredible density of those zig-zaggy trench lines and fortifications.. it's pretty impressive that Russia was able to push the defenders out of their positions, but maybe pressuring the supply lines with the threat of encirclement and worsening weather conditions leading to difficulties for Ukraine in bringing in reinforcements played a part.

(also there's speculation that the footholds that Ukraine is holding on the left bank of the Dnieper river are about to be a thing of the past, but I haven't seen alot of concrete evidence on that front outside of the claims of difficulties facing the Ukrainian marines by Russian sources, so it's a wait and see on that front)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Looking at these maps the 'gains' are areas I could cover on a morning walk. The front lines are essentially static and there doesnt seem to be a lot of value in going over the day to day sub 1 km ebb and flow

There was a story on Russian sappers digging a tunnel *under* the Ukrainian trenches and setting off a bomb, so thats interesting I guess. Can't wait for the big tunnel carvers to be the next wunderwaffen

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Watcbing WWI tech and tactics be adopted over the course of nearly two years of a 21st century war has been a hell of a ride.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Nix Panicus posted:

Looking at these maps the 'gains' are areas I could cover on a morning walk. The front lines are essentially static and there doesnt seem to be a lot of value in going over the day to day sub 1 km ebb and flow

There was a story on Russian sappers digging a tunnel *under* the Ukrainian trenches and setting off a bomb, so thats interesting I guess. Can't wait for the big tunnel carvers to be the next wunderwaffen

Only Ukrainians may have Wunderwaffen. Russians have to make do desperately improvised weapons and tactics.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Nix Panicus posted:

yeah it's probably a fair point.. I was considering posting something about the problem with only advancing a few blocks over a week is that by the time you get to the other side of the hamlet there's just an entirely new set of trenches and strong points waiting for you.. but i couldn't quite figure out how to word it. I just hadn't seen an update posted in a while so I figured I'd pipe up :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's an urban area full of concrete buildings, there will always be new strong points.