Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GotLag posted:

Quality of components has no bearing on the quality of a product, to the best of my knowledge. What gem does it require?

Lapis. I just got access to the other side of the bridge. From what I read, you need to travel to dome completely new place with environmental damage to get Lapis (which I assume comes up in the story).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Lapis. I just got access to the other side of the bridge. From what I read, you need to travel to dome completely new place with environmental damage to get Lapis (which I assume comes up in the story).

Lapis is all over the other side of the bridge, blue crystal formations near the rock mounds.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

Lapis is all over the other side of the bridge, blue crystal formations near the rock mounds.

Ah my bad, I meant Spinel.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ytlaya posted:

Ah my bad, I meant Spinel.

Follow the train tracks east then north past the Yakmel ranch until a long break in the fence before a bridge, there should be some sleeping coyote things around and a path you can take to the right. Follow that path east under the rock arch (don't turn left) until you hit a cliff, then turn right again and keep going south until you see a path down into the valley with all the green vapor to your left. Hugging the right wall on the side of this downward path should be a handful spinel nodes. You can't go all the way down into the green fog without an item from later in the game, but there should be a couple nodes before the fog you can hit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sydin posted:

Follow the train tracks east then north past the Yakmel ranch until a long break in the fence before a bridge, there should be some sleeping coyote things around and a path you can take to the right. Follow that path east under the rock arch (don't turn left) until you hit a cliff, then turn right again and keep going south until you see a path down into the valley with all the green vapor to your left. Hugging the right wall on the side of this downward path should be a handful spinel nodes. You can't go all the way down into the green fog without an item from later in the game, but there should be a couple nodes before the fog you can hit.

Ah, nice. Apparently an Iron Pickaxe can quarry it, and I can make one of those. I'm currently using a fully-upgraded Qi's Pickaxe since IIRC I don't have the resources to upgrade an Iron, but I can still craft a normal one.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I went a long time before building the refinery, it is bullshit how suddenly people want perfect bars/ingredients and it seems to not really pay more for the way more effort you have to get that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Sydin posted:

You can go down, you just take poison damage. One of Fang's medicines that you can unlock negates poison damage for 60 seconds. It's actually what I used to get access to some of those materials early before the story gave me a better way to go about it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

I went a long time before building the refinery, it is bullshit how suddenly people want perfect bars/ingredients and it seems to not really pay more for the way more effort you have to get that.

Thing is, refining your tools and machines is incredibly powerful. Tools become much, much stronger, machines get nice bonuses to production (or useless discounts to fuel/water usage), and if you can afford it, weapons/armor become much stronger as well. Water catchers are just about the only thing you don't get a benefit out of refining, though it is convenient to have higher rank ones when it's raining and you don't have a helper to empty them out before they fill up. Even the generators are nice to level up because they can store more fuel.

Also, with machines, you can refine the low level version of a machine, and then upgrade it using the button at the top of the screen and it'll retain its characteristics without needing the more advanced gems. It's also easy to miss, but you can upgrade your water tank to store a truly staggering amount of water.

Even furniture is nice to upgrade if you need to get more stats, but you can get so much furniture that it's not as relevant.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

It's not worth upgrading large batches of stuff they want, but if they ask for a weapon or a machine or a piece of furniture, they pay noticeably more for it, especially with some social upgrades, and it's not too onerous to upgrade.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Megazver posted:

It's not worth upgrading large batches of stuff they want, but if they ask for a weapon or a machine or a piece of furniture, they pay noticeably more for it, especially with some social upgrades, and it's not too onerous to upgrade.

Yeah the machines/tools commissions and refinement is fine. It's the "8 perfect steel bars" commission that pays the same as the old 8 regular bar ones that annoy me.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The game is also expecting you to be regularly feeding the massive quantities of excess stone materials and ores into the ore refinery, which spits out a decent quantity of gems that you can use to upgrade stuff. The civil corps also usually has enough gems in stock to get you through a higher quality commission in a pinch, although you need ruins tokens to buy them.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, I had an NPC teleport to a different location on me for the second time. Like, not for a cutscene or event or anything. I mean I was trying to go to them to interact then they literally teleported to a different part of the map. Is that just something that will be happening that I should get used to?

Also, are Cactus Trees okay for me to chop down? Is Burgess going to show up one morning to break my legs if I do?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the first time you try to cut down a tree near the town burgess will pop up to warn you. afterward, it is only penalized if you get caught. there's not much reason to bother though. wood stops being scarce as soon as you make a bronze axe and start clearing deadwood.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

So, I had an NPC teleport to a different location on me for the second time. Like, not for a cutscene or event or anything. I mean I was trying to go to them to interact then they literally teleported to a different part of the map. Is that just something that will be happening that I should get used to?

NPC pathing breaks after roughly one hour played, I'll just save and restart the game at this point. Happens to everybody.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, are Cactus Trees okay for me to chop down? Is Burgess going to show up one morning to break my legs if I do?

Teleporting is very awful in the game, especially when it's your gd mount who you are running to and happens to teleport behind you

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of teleporting and other NPC shenanigans, the Civil Corps jail cell has by far been the buggiest experience in the game so far for me. Off the top of my head:

-It took a really long time for the final part of the magic mirror quest to trigger, so it just sat turned off in the back of the cell through a ton of story events it clearly wasn't supposed to be there for, causing multiple NPC's to stand/clip through it.

-There's a quest that causes Unsuur temporarily lock himself up in the jail, except when I went there to visit him and continue the quest another side-quest involving the jail triggered instead, one where Unsuur has lines while standing outside of it, so he's now on the outside chatting like he hadn't just committed himself. As the scene ended and faded to black, he de-materialized and re-materialized back inside the cell.

-There are supposed to be a bunch of dialogues you can have with Pen and Miguel after some late game plot reveals while they're in prison, but they weren't triggering at all which is a shame because some of them are really good.

-Yan couldn't seem to decide if he was actually locked up or not, and sometimes was just chilling on the bottom floor of the Civil Corps, I guess he was compliant with house arrest.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

A good rule of thumb: if you can kick it, don't chop it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, I had one day I was trying to track down Unsuur during a sandstorm, and the fucker kept teleporting to the opposite end of town every time I got close.

Don't chop down trees (other than deadwood) in Sandrock proper. Once you leave the area of the city, trees are free game. Chop down trees in the desert, the canyon beyond the hyenas and other story unlocked areas to your heart's content.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, I had one day I was trying to track down Unsuur during a sandstorm, and the fucker kept teleporting to the opposite end of town every time I got close.

This is because Unsuur's mysterious past prior to coming to Sandrock is that he was a genetic experiment from the Age of Corruption who developed great superpowers and was ultimately responsible for its destruction

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
actually, he's a marble eater.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
One thing a little offputting is how the characters don't change their facial expressions at all. I guess it's to keep things simple but it makes them behave in a Muppet like manner during emotionally charged moments.

Rocky: :shepface: "I am VERY ANGRY that my son is green and you are giving him yellow medicine! This is my angry face!

Catori: :stare:"It feels so nice to be able to love again. Thank you so much BUILDER."

At least Unsuur nails it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This smell... it gives a nostalgic, sentimental feeling. Sometimes memories of your home are the greatest inspiration. And a good dish is a novel in itself... A heated introduction, the rising tension of the mouthfeel, and finally, a conclusive aftertaste that leaves you stunned...

where do these buckets of food fit in you Ernest

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Can you throw rocks at people you don’t like? I’ve collected a handful of throwing rocks and they all have Burgess’ name of them. I only met this dude a few days ago but I feel like he’s gonna recruit me into Turning Point USA.

Also is there any point with going in blind for gift giving or should I just consult a gifting guide like with Stardew?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Thr wiki has a list of all the liked gifts for people. Though unlike stardew you get diminishing returns if you give the same gift repeatedly. This is kind of relavent because it's possible to give multiple gifts to a single person; give them a gift as normal, then invite on a play date and at both the blue moon and oasis bench you can give gifts for 2 social energy.

Festivals give 2x the bonus and birthdays 3x. Most loved gifts are predictably hard to come by but I've found exceptions--Elsie absolutely loves shiny scorpions and they're not too hard to find when foraging rocks/bushes. Trudy loves steel plates which are pretty easy to make when you unlock the tech. And MI-An loves chromium steel bars which you'll find tons of ore from in the gecko station ruins after fixing the bridge.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the characters that post commissions regularly don't need gifts. the ones that rarely/never do probably won't max out without gifts. pets in particular really need gifts.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
re: cutting down cactus trees - you can chop down the ones in the desert (over the bridge going towards the Gecko Station, basically everything past the bridge) without getting Burgess or any townspeople mad at you. There are a few items like a cactus flower you can only get by chopping down a flowering cactus, so I had a moment of panic when I needed one for a quest and thought "wait, but how can I get one without chopping down a cactus?" 'cause they weren't dropping from kicks

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Unlucky7 posted:

As mentioned, after a few hours of play, NPC pathing can begin to break down, but if you're talking about them popping around on your map then it's because NPCs can use yakmel stations for longer trips instead of walking all the way.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

GotLag posted:

As mentioned, after a few hours of play, NPC pathing can begin to break down, but if you're talking about them popping around on your map then it's because NPCs can use yakmel stations for longer trips instead of walking all the way.

It's more than just that though - sometimes the way the game spawns in NPCs can be borked and you can have them teleport around without using any yakmel station. The most hilarious spawning bug I've encountered so far is seeing my builder's newborn lying down in the middle of the town square. The game was clearly spawning her just like the other NPCs, but it was nonsensical for a wide variety of reasons.

Hailfire
Sep 11, 2011
During festivals Matilda regularly ascends to the heavens before slamming down further along her path, a feeling of tremendous threat is generated when she ODST's infront of me.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Hailfire posted:

During festivals Matilda regularly ascends to the heavens before slamming down further along her path, a feeling of tremendous threat is generated when she ODST's infront of me.

That's explained later

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Panfilo posted:

One thing a little offputting is how the characters don't change their facial expressions at all. I guess it's to keep things simple but it makes them behave in a Muppet like manner during emotionally charged moments.

Rocky: :shepface: "I am VERY ANGRY that my son is green and you are giving him yellow medicine! This is my angry face!

Catori: :stare:"It feels so nice to be able to love again. Thank you so much BUILDER."

At least Unsuur nails it.

On the discord they said they're looking into motion capture for their next game both for cutscenes and expressions maybe.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

This single Coffee/Tea Tree has made me more money than almost anything else in the game. Highly recommend planting one as soon as you unlock planting.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I dunno why Sandrock is clicking for me way more than Portia. The latter felt oddly sterile and cold. This game is a good game, questionable anime VA, more questionable facial expressions.

Burgess is most likely to happily tell me all lives matter. Gotta find my husbando. 2 guys so far in mind. Also Mort is gonna be my first best friend.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the characters that post commissions regularly don't need gifts. the ones that rarely/never do probably won't max out without gifts. pets in particular really need gifts.

How do pets work? Do they actually become *your* pet past a certain affection level?

socialsecurity posted:

This single Coffee/Tea Tree has made me more money than almost anything else in the game. Highly recommend planting one as soon as you unlock planting.

I'm looking forward to mine finishing. Always see these coffee bean and tea leaf commissions.

Just around 3 more days until first harvest...

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

How do pets work? Do they actually become *your* pet past a certain affection level?

I'm looking forward to mine finishing. Always see these coffee bean and tea leaf commissions.

Just around 3 more days until first harvest...

Yes they do, you have 4 different "missions" you can send them on daily to get you like water/scrap or whatever. Ever since getting my second pet I have never had to buy water again it's amazing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

buglord posted:

I dunno why Sandrock is clicking for me way more than Portia. The latter felt oddly sterile and cold. This game is a good game, questionable anime VA, more questionable facial expressions.

The cast is so much better fleshed out in Sandrock it's unreal. I scanned over the list of Portia NPC's and couldn't tell you fuckin' anything about their personalities, goals, wants or needs, etc unless you're talking about Higgins and like, Nora I guess but that's only because I still remember the time she somehow telepathically knew I fired a gun in the ruins and sent me a lovely letter about how I'm a heathen to the Light. I think they also stand out better because Sandrock as a setting is much more informative of their agencies. Portia was a pretty nice place already when the builder shows up, and you just spruce things up for everybody. Sandrock meanwhile is in capital "D" decline when you and Mi-an roll into town, which means there's something intrinsic being said about the people who choose to stay there anyway and tough it out/make things better. Everybody has a motivation just by being there because it means they're choosing to cling to the idea that Sandrock can bounce back.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's a side quest which enables pet adoption. once you are at buddy status with an unattached animal (so not x, captain or sandy) there's an option to adopt them.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you don't adopt CoCo there's something wrong with you and I don't think we can be friends

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd adopt him if there was a perch i could buy. what is an owl going to do with a pet sofa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'd adopt him if there was a perch i could buy. what is an owl going to do with a pet sofa?

The cutout opening in the Animal House is unexpectedly appropriate for CoCo