Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Alright, I'll let the basket warm up as well.

The reason I am asking is because I am getting inconsistent results. One shot will yield 19 g, while another will yield 42 g, even though all other parameters are fixed: 17 g of grounds (from the same bag of beans), grind setting (Turin DF64), pre-infusion time and extraction time. The only thing I am changing is the physical basket (same make/model/batch) and puck screen (same make and model).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

It could be an issue with puck prep, if everything else is going as expected you may just be getting some channeling

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

theHUNGERian posted:

Alright, I'll let the basket warm up as well.

The reason I am asking is because I am getting inconsistent results. One shot will yield 19 g, while another will yield 42 g, even though all other parameters are fixed: 17 g of grounds (from the same bag of beans), grind setting (Turin DF64), pre-infusion time and extraction time. The only thing I am changing is the physical basket (same make/model/batch) and puck screen (same make and model).

I’m lazy and not looking back to remember, but are you doing wdt at all? I find it really helps me with consistency

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

For puck prep I use, WDT, another distribution tool, and a spring loaded tamper.

I also stopped using this grinder for my moka pot, and the grind setting has not seen large changes in grind sizes in a long time.

Edit: I use an in-out kind of motion with the WDT. Is it possible that this plugs up some of the holes of the basket? Should I use a different motion?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 23, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Spiggy posted:

I admittedly bought a puck screen when they were in vogue and even though they don't really help with extraction, they are great for keeping the group head clean. If you do get one I would recommend getting a teasing needle as well to make it a little easier to pry the screen it because those things like to get snug in the portafilter.

For what it's worth I tap my basket against the handle of a spare portafilter and it immediately and cleanly knocks just the puck screen out. It has to be something with a 'sharp' impact, not a cushioned knockbox bridge or something, as that will knock the grounds out with the screen.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Has anyone in the US figured out how to take advantage of the 15% off deal for the Profitec Go on idrinkcoffee.com? I’m happy to pay the CAD price but it kicks me over to the US store as soon as I put in my shipping info.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I find bottom paper filters and a top screen are a sweet spot for me. The bottom filters seem to reduce channeling at least

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Google Butt posted:

I find bottom paper filters and a top screen are a sweet spot for me. The bottom filters seem to reduce channeling at least

Are there good pre-made 58mm paper filters out there yet? I think the last time this came up people were still making them themselves. I'm curious to try it but I'm also way too lazy to make them.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

For puck prep I use, WDT, another distribution tool, and a spring loaded tamper.

I also stopped using this grinder for my moka pot, and the grind setting has not seen large changes in grind sizes in a long time.

Edit: I use an in-out kind of motion with the WDT. Is it possible that this plugs up some of the holes of the basket? Should I use a different motion?

I can’t visualize at all what an in-out WDT method is.

Here is a video on how to use a WDT.

https://youtu.be/xzrs7hj7Sto?si=2S1LgR9mPcl0KdSK

Is the leveler removing coffee from the basket? If it is that’s probably the reason.

Also, while the holes in a basket and puck screen should be consistent, I would not expect that same consistency between different baskets and puck screens.

When it comes to espresso, guaranteed, exact as possible repeatability is what you’re aiming for. You want to use the exact same tools, methods, and techniques for each shot unless you’re aiming to change a specific variable. So doing all these swapouts and poo poo is going to lead to variables. This is why all of these nitpicks tools exist; to ensure all of these little things are exactly the same each time.

Outside of this, I’d guess your issue is down to something you’ve not noticed. Maybe the water isn’t as hot (or is hotter) shot to shot due to back to backs. Maybe something is wet when you put the grounds in. Maybe there’s more grinder retention than you expect.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I can’t visualize at all what an in-out WDT method is.

Here is a video on how to use a WDT.

https://youtu.be/xzrs7hj7Sto?si=2S1LgR9mPcl0KdSK

Is the leveler removing coffee from the basket? If it is that’s probably the reason.

Also, while the holes in a basket and puck screen should be consistent, I would not expect that same consistency between different baskets and puck screens.

When it comes to espresso, guaranteed, exact as possible repeatability is what you’re aiming for. You want to use the exact same tools, methods, and techniques for each shot unless you’re aiming to change a specific variable. So doing all these swapouts and poo poo is going to lead to variables. This is why all of these nitpicks tools exist; to ensure all of these little things are exactly the same each time.

Outside of this, I’d guess your issue is down to something you’ve not noticed. Maybe the water isn’t as hot (or is hotter) shot to shot due to back to backs. Maybe something is wet when you put the grounds in. Maybe there’s more grinder retention than you expect.

Alright, I'll start with that WDT method first, and if this persists I'll try using just one basket+screen multiple times, though I don't like the idea of having to clean+dry things between shots.

Edit: And I do measure the beans before and after grinding. The grounds are almost always within 0.2 g of the input.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

Alright, I'll start with that WDT method first, and if this persists I'll try using just one basket+screen multiple times, though I don't like the idea of having to clean+dry things between shots.

Edit: And I do measure the beans before and after grinding. The grounds are almost always within 0.2 g of the input.

Don’t clean. Shouldn’t need to unless you’re done for the day.

Just wipe with a towel. Any residual coffee oils will be fresh enough to not taste gross & be small enough to not have an impact.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Yegor posted:

Speaking of the Technivorm, I see that it has numbered amounts on the water chamber but the Amazon description says only half and full pot settings. Could you use it for 2 cup brews?

Remember that a "cup" in the coffee world is like some miniscule amount of coffee, not 8oz of water. I make 2 standard coffee mugs of coffee at the "6" line (maybe a little under) all day with 22g of grinds on "half" mode twice a day.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Maybe it's the number of cupping spoons.

My 3-cup moka pot did like 1 demitasse.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hello, thread. Freezing green beans- Pros and cons? My son in law and I like to roast, and he ran across a great black Friday deal on a 25lb lot of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe last year, which we split. First several months was some of the tastiest, but then the flavor seemed to diminish.

I've seen info where freezing roasted ☕ beans is sometimes recommended, but I wonder at the effects of that on green coffee, as it still retains moisture in the beans.

Any knowers?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

theHUNGERian posted:

Changing your WDT technique as above is the right call. I would also stop using the wedge distributor on top of it. They are better than nothing, but they are worse than WDT alone. At the end of WDT your coffee is evenly distributed and fluffed as much as it ever can be.

Temperature of the basket itself is tiny compared to everything else. Are you doing naked portafilter? That'd help you see uneven flow and channels. A couple videos of shots would help diagnose!

How big are the WDT needles?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Changing your WDT technique as above is the right call. I would also stop using the wedge distributor on top of it. They are better than nothing, but they are worse than WDT alone. At the end of WDT your coffee is evenly distributed and fluffed as much as it ever can be.

Temperature of the basket itself is tiny compared to everything else. Are you doing naked portafilter? That'd help you see uneven flow and channels. A couple videos of shots would help diagnose!

How big are the WDT needles?

I changed my WDT technique, but I don't see how I can get the grounds to be as evenly distributed as with the wedge tool, so I kept using it. And yes, naked portafilter from Day one.

Grinder setting: 11.5
Shot 1: 6 g
Shot 2: 5 g

Grinder setting: 13
Shot 1: 31 g
Shot 2: 44 g
Shot 3: 40 g

I assume that at the larger grinder setting, the first shot may have contained some grounds from the previous grinder setting, hence the smaller output? Shots 2 and 3 are close enough in output for me.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Mr. Mambold posted:

Hello, thread. Freezing green beans- Pros and cons? My son in law and I like to roast, and he ran across a great black Friday deal on a 25lb lot of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe last year, which we split. First several months was some of the tastiest, but then the flavor seemed to diminish.

I've seen info where freezing roasted ☕ beans is sometimes recommended, but I wonder at the effects of that on green coffee, as it still retains moisture in the beans.

Any knowers?

I know George Howell is a big advocate for freezing beans, and I was reading recently about a roaster in Europe somewhere that freezes all his green coffee so he can roast small batches throughout the year.

https://perfectdailygrind.com/2021/10/can-you-freeze-green-coffee/ This article goes into more depth, but there have been a few cases of people assembling tasting panels to assess frozen coffees and the results seem fairly positive.

That said, I do remember hearing somewhere that Yirgs are a specific example where tasters felt the quality of the coffee had changed in freezing. I'm not super interested in home roasting myself, but I'd definitely want to experiment with frozen green beans if I had a set up!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I wonder if anyone’s tested vacuum sealing at room temp and vacuum sealing in the freezer

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

I changed my WDT technique, but I don't see how I can get the grounds to be as evenly distributed as with the wedge tool, so I kept using it. And yes, naked portafilter from Day one.

Grinder setting: 11.5
Shot 1: 6 g
Shot 2: 5 g

Grinder setting: 13
Shot 1: 31 g
Shot 2: 44 g
Shot 3: 40 g

I assume that at the larger grinder setting, the first shot may have contained some grounds from the previous grinder setting, hence the smaller output? Shots 2 and 3 are close enough in output for me.

If you watch the video above, you’ll see exactly how.

Starting at the base of the basket, make little circles around the whole edge of the basket. Slowly move the WDT upwards until you’re whisking just the top layer of the bed. Do these little circle motions around the outside until you have a flat, even (or close to even) bed.

Are you changing beans/grind setting every day? That’s also going to cause problems.

Agree with above that videos of both shots should help.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you watch the video above, you’ll see exactly how.

Starting at the base of the basket, make little circles around the whole edge of the basket. Slowly move the WDT upwards until you’re whisking just the top layer of the bed. Do these little circle motions around the outside until you have a flat, even (or close to even) bed.

Are you changing beans/grind setting every day? That’s also going to cause problems.

Agree with above that videos of both shots should help.

Let me play with it a bit more, and if I still get inconsistencies I'll come back with a video. But no, I do not change beans/grind settings daily. But when I do make changes make an attempt to take out backlash. So rather than go from 11.5 to 13, I instead go from 11.5 to 15 and then to 13. I doubt this matters one way or the other.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Freeze your beans people. I usually let my beans degas for 7-10 days before every bag goes in the freezer and gets used straight from the freezer. Have a decent collection of samples built up of fun naturally processed and co-fermented coffee.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Crystal Lake Witch posted:

I know George Howell is a big advocate for freezing beans, and I was reading recently about a roaster in Europe somewhere that freezes all his green coffee so he can roast small batches throughout the year.

https://perfectdailygrind.com/2021/10/can-you-freeze-green-coffee/ This article goes into more depth, but there have been a few cases of people assembling tasting panels to assess frozen coffees and the results seem fairly positive.

That said, I do remember hearing somewhere that Yirgs are a specific example where tasters felt the quality of the coffee had changed in freezing. I'm not super interested in home roasting myself, but I'd definitely want to experiment with frozen green beans if I had a set up!

Thanks. That's exactly what I was considering, like freeze a pound or 2 early and thaw them a few months later, then roast. The batch we got last year's Black Friday was exceptional, but seemed to meh off a bit after 4-6 months. So

Steve Yun posted:

I wonder if anyone’s tested vacuum sealing at room temp and vacuum sealing in the freezer

My son in law mentioned that. I said I don't know if coffee beans off-gas some even when they're green.

Corb3t posted:

Freeze your beans people. I usually let my beans degas for 7-10 days before every bag goes in the freezer and gets used straight from the freezer. Have a decent collection of samples built up of fun naturally processed and co-fermented coffee.

This is for green though, which still contain all the moisture?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Freezing might not be helpful for me because I never have more than 5 months of green beans at a time

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

This is for green though, which still contain all the moisture?

Sorry, yes my suggestions are for roasted beans, but a friend of mine has a roasting business and definitely freezes some of his bulk green beans.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I think the benefit to freezing green beans is specifically that the lower temperature slows or stalls the chemical processes that lead to stale or bland beans, I don’t think vacuum sealing does the same.

It’s still a benefit, and I’ve worked with roasters that received samples that way, but I don’t think it’s helpful in the long term.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I think the benefit to freezing green beans is specifically that the lower temperature slows or stalls the chemical processes that lead to stale or bland beans, I don’t think vacuum sealing does the same.

It’s still a benefit, and I’ve worked with roasters that received samples that way, but I don’t think it’s helpful in the long term.

Yes. Freezing “slows” the release of volatile compounds by slowing them down. Since exposure to oxygen increases the release of the compounds, a vacuum seal would likely make it take longer, but wouldn’t stop it as long.

The first one is old, but here is some information from Hoffman.

https://youtu.be/5uT5_IWWb00?si=E0TydnE0nSZr6o1b

https://youtu.be/hXad5XBRTcI?si=nvUCWb4pLOfZikP1

One of the things discussed here as well is that grinding and brewing directly from frozen works perfectly well.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Yes, exposure to ambient humidity and heat in normal storage are flavor killers. That article was quite helpful in pointing out you need a sealable container, no food contact or odors, no frost buildup. Gonna give it a shot (haha shot) and see if the difference is noticeable.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

The roaster i was working with pre-pandemic was just starting to experiment with freezing beans, and I was excited to help out and learn more about green coffee, but it all fell apart, so I’d be curious to hear how it goes for you.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

You might email sweet Maria's and see what they have to say about freezing greens.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

I would be curious to hear the concensus on this freezing green beans conversation myself. I currently have a 50lb sack in a tightly wrapped, plastic bag that is stored in a box in a climate controlled garage space that I roast from and now I'm curious. I haven't ever really noticed flavor degradation from this storage method, but now I'm intrigued. I usually go through 50lbs in about 6 months, so it's not like they're sitting forever, but still.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

How do you use 8 pounds a month?

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

nwin posted:

How do you use 8 pounds a month?

I roast a lot and gift it/sell it and also drink about 4 cups a day combined between me and my wife. I usually roast about 4 lbs per session and usually roast about twice a month, so the math checks out. The Aillio Bullet I have has a roast capacity of 1000g and my usual batch size is 700g so it's a pretty capable light duty commercial roaster. I love it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SlinkyMink posted:

I roast a lot and gift it/sell it and also drink about 4 cups a day combined between me and my wife. I usually roast about 4 lbs per session and usually roast about twice a month, so the math checks out. The Aillio Bullet I have has a roast capacity of 1000g and my usual batch size is 700g so it's a pretty capable light duty commercial roaster. I love it.

That's pretty serious roasting. Seems from your description, you're already most of the way where freezing is supposed to go. Idk who else is going to try this, and I don't know that we'll have an opinion until a good 5-6 months out; if then. (we consume a fraction compared to you) Maybe freeze a fiver yourself and join in?

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's pretty serious roasting. Seems from your description, you're already most of the way where freezing is supposed to go. Idk who else is going to try this, and I don't know that we'll have an opinion until a good 5-6 months out; if then. (we consume a fraction compared to you) Maybe freeze a fiver yourself and join in?

Hell, I'm game! I'm just about to make another order so I can take a couple pounds out and throw them in a sealed container in the freezer and see how they stack up against the other beans when I get to the end of the bag in a couple months. Maybe do a blind tasting for some friends. Always down for a little science!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SlinkyMink posted:

Hell, I'm game! I'm just about to make another order so I can take a couple pounds out and throw them in a sealed container in the freezer and see how they stack up against the other beans when I get to the end of the bag in a couple months. Maybe do a blind tasting for some friends. Always down for a little science!

:science::coffee::hf: :coffee: :mrgw:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks again for all the advice folks. I just had 4 shots which gave me 22, 17, 18, and 20 g of output (for 17 g in), much better consistency compared to what I was getting before.

One last question: What is the best way to dry the puck screen between shots? Since the screen has sharp edges, any cloth I have will leave behind a few individual fibers.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I got some beans the other day, I ask "Hey do you have coffee beans?" and they point at a bag, I'm like great, I don't have to walk further to get the big chain grocery store near me.

I thought they were weirdly coloured but they weren't from Italy so maybe it was just a special way of roasting.

I put some in my grinder and my grinder nearly died. I was like, the gently caress.

I look at the beans again and then it dawns on me, oh my god these are raw beans!

So I've roasted a bunch in my oven, very smokey but the resulting coffee is alright.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

theHUNGERian posted:

Thanks again for all the advice folks. I just had 4 shots which gave me 22, 17, 18, and 20 g of output (for 17 g in), much better consistency compared to what I was getting before.

One last question: What is the best way to dry the puck screen between shots? Since the screen has sharp edges, any cloth I have will leave behind a few individual fibers.

Just blot it dry with a paper towel or fold it around the screen and press together on the counter. I don't know that it's necessary, though.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looks like the Bambino Plus is on sale. $399

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I got some beans the other day, I ask "Hey do you have coffee beans?" and they point at a bag, I'm like great, I don't have to walk further to get the big chain grocery store near me.

I thought they were weirdly coloured but they weren't from Italy so maybe it was just a special way of roasting.

I put some in my grinder and my grinder nearly died. I was like, the gently caress.

I look at the beans again and then it dawns on me, oh my god these are raw beans!

So I've roasted a bunch in my oven, very smokey but the resulting coffee is alright.

Dear lord, I'm so sorry. But, this is funny.