Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

CelticPredator posted:

Thanksgiving really is that good. It hits all the notes you want. If you dont want to support stupid rear end eli, which fair, pirate that poo poo. But it's def a new holiday classic imo

Man, I'm going to have to disagree heavily on that. There was nothing new with it at all. It felt like a packaged up movie that didn't even try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I just thought it was novel for playing all the slasher tropes 100% straight. Like, it's weirdly refreshing to see a slasher movie in 2023 being completely unironic.

Plus some real good goop.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Philthy posted:

Man, I'm going to have to disagree heavily on that. There was nothing new with it at all. It felt like a packaged up movie that didn't even try.

I wasn’t looking for anything new. Like what was said above it’s nice to see a straight up slasher with all the tropes and the gore. It was nice

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Its kinda just a My Bloody Valentine remake with a new hat but that’s not the worst. I’ll forget about it by Xmas but it was a fine enough watch.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

alf_pogs posted:

waiting for australia to export LABOUR DAY as holiday horror

*bursts through the door, panting and screaming* LABOUR DAY - You will work yourself to death!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Saw the recent Candyman. There's some cool stuff in there, and it looks pretty good (not amazing, but pretty good)... but that editing was for absolute poo poo.

It felt like the final version kept half heartedly dipping into a subplot about the girlfriend and her relationship with her dad (and maybe something spooky there I dunno) but nothing there was particularly developed. There's this one bit where the film just randomly cuts away from scenes with the main dude to have a literal two second shot of her chilling on a train and then it cuts back to the main guy.

Am I missing something there, or is it just a bit wonky?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Opopanax posted:

Oh hell yeah, they just added Bruce Campbell to my local con next year. Now to decide if I should get him to sign my falling apart necronomicon edition Evil Dead, or hit up ebay for an AoD VHS

I met him twice, watched Army of Darkness with him in 95ish and again in 2017...had him sign the same newspaper. :D

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

I met him twice, watched Army of Darkness with him in 95ish and again in 2017...had him sign the same newspaper. :D

I love this. I hope you got a good bemused look/furrowed brow from him too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crescent Wrench posted:

I love this. I hope you got a good bemused look/furrowed brow from him too.

He actually remembered the event. It was shortly after AOD came out and he came to the University of Michigan and did a small screening in a classroom of it where he talked about a lot of things that happened during filming.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

He actually remembered the event. It was shortly after AOD came out and he came to the University of Michigan and did a small screening in a classroom of it where he talked about a lot of things that happened during filming.

Fair enough. He probably won't start getting suspicious until you show up again in 2041.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

Saw the recent Candyman. There's some cool stuff in there, and it looks pretty good (not amazing, but pretty good)... but that editing was for absolute poo poo.

It felt like the final version kept half heartedly dipping into a subplot about the girlfriend and her relationship with her dad (and maybe something spooky there I dunno) but nothing there was particularly developed. There's this one bit where the film just randomly cuts away from scenes with the main dude to have a literal two second shot of her chilling on a train and then it cuts back to the main guy.

It's a little muddled but I like it for retroactively making the original better, which is still a great flick but also pretty White when it comes down to it. My biggest complaint was the teenage girls seemed being there for body count or proof of concept and the gallery owner doing a weird Jurassic Park referenced while Candyman is coming for him that sucks some tension from the scene.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

NAGA is cool as hell and hits Netflix on the 7th!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Medullah posted:

this kicks so much rear end lol

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Medullah posted:

You lucky gently caress

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

man The Messengers is really dogshit, just peak ScreenGems 2000's horror jump-scare laziness

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Shrecknet posted:

man The Messengers is really dogshit, just peak ScreenGems 2000's horror jump-scare laziness

I don't like the Pang brothers. The way Re-Cycle treats abortion is garbage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Medullah posted:

Hell yes

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

There was a lot wrong with that movie, it was dire.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

TheMopeSquad posted:

There was a lot wrong with that movie, it was dire.
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is really doing work as "guy in a reboot that leaves me disappointed even though I liked his performance" between the Matrix, Watchmen, and Candyman

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Candyman was good, it just wasn't great. Mostly the side characters being lovely cartoons.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

As said last time it was brought up I thought it was beautifully-shot but my opinion, while still positive, has waned over time, but the way it fleshed out the original Candyman legend is fantastic, and while I'm not fond of the last act twist, the actual ending is incredible.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

As said last time it was brought up I thought it was beautifully-shot but my opinion, while still positive, has waned over time, but the way it fleshed out the original Candyman legend is fantastic, and while I'm not fond of the last act twist, the actual ending is incredible.

the actual ending is basically the ending of Rogue One right down to the awful de-ageing cgi

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

yeah and it was cool :shrug:

that also really trivializes the context and themes of that scene but look I'm not immune to hooting and hollering

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 24, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’ve only seen it once but I loved it and felt like a lot of the criticism stemmed from the entire core plot of the film. That the original as great as it is is a bunch of white people talking about racism as seen through the experiences of a white person. And the new one addressed the same ideas from the perspective of the actual black people with all it’s complexity and unresolved frustrating aspects. And not pointing any fingers here but I think a lot of people wanted a cleaner spooky story like the first film and weren’t interested in the deeper elements that were present in the first film and expanded on in the new one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
To a certain extent appropriation is what that story is about, going back to the original short story. The protagonist is specifically being punished for coming into this environment and trying to explain away a powerful force.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The new one didn't have a complicated or nuanced thesis. It's a hodgepodge of general ideas about race and class thrown in a blender, and turned out to be pretty shallow in the end. Turning Candyman into a Freddy's Revenge type inhabiting spirit that can be summoned to become the avenging angel of the projects, who wordlessly hacks away at the oppressors, seems weirdly blunt and schlocky considering how much it feels like it wants to be taken as a serious commentary on something. A better, tighter version of that idea is the racist cops segment from Tales from the Hood. The new Candyman turned the whole Candyman idea into a kind of easy morality play and little else.

In interviews with the director, you get the sense that she was pulled in a lot of different directions about how she should approach it, needing to please horror audiences, black audiences, the studio, Jordan Peele, herself, etc, and I think it shows. The most interesting aspect of the movie for me was her directly confronting the pressure black artists are under to explicitly address black pain in their art and say something profound about it, which is exactly what she's trying to do in the making of the movie itself (and why she seemed relieved to be directing a Marvel movie immediately afterward).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah but it's still a movie written and directed by a white man.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Man rewatching The Lighthouse and what an absolutely amazing piece of cinema. Every single scene, every single conversation. Everyone lies. The whole movie is lying.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Tomie vs Tomie
Or, how to stretch 30 minutes of content into 90 and make it feel like 300.
Every single thing in this movie is slow. Every shot, every line, every reaction, SLOW. It's unbearably boring.
You'd think in a movie called Tomie vs. Tomie a couple Tomies would fight, right? Nope.
There are two Tomies who don't like each other. They try to kill each other, but they do it as slowly and boringly as possible.
It's also maybe 10 minutes of the whole movie. The rest is this super bland, unbelievable soap opera love story.
Maybe this is done in the style of a Japanese soap opera? Maybe that's why it's so slow?
There's one scene at the very end that's good. It is not worth waiting for.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Doltos posted:

Man rewatching The Lighthouse and what an absolutely amazing piece of cinema. Every single scene, every single conversation. Everyone lies. The whole movie is lying.

Not about me lobster though right? You fond of me lobster?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Worse, the update has their statement which outright says there is no ethnic cleansing or genocide happening in Israel-Palestine. This is significantly more than just shying away from controversy

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Doltos posted:

Maybe the best film ever to feature farts as a central plot point.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

WeaponX posted:

Maybe the best film ever to feature farts as a central plot point.

It mattered

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Doltos posted:

It mattered

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

FAAAAAAAAART, TRITON!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
this still bugs me years later

in The Fog they establish the pirates are coming after descendants of (I forget?) but the pirate knocks on main character's door near the start and then fucks off without even leaving a pkg note but iirc main guy isn't even a descendant or connected

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Alan Smithee posted:

in The Fog they establish the pirates are coming after descendants of (I forget?) but the pirate knocks on main character's door near the start and then fucks off without even leaving a pkg note but iirc main guy isn't even a descendant or connected

Iirc, since there were originally six conspirators, they just wanted six lives and not necessarily their descendants. The whole town is a beneficiary of the injustice, so I suppose any six in town will do.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Freddie Kruger rules, gently caress the whole town

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Doltos posted:

Freddie Kruger rules

No, I think he's a bad man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alan Smithee posted:

No, it just says "6 MUST DIE" on the plank. It doesn't specify who the six are. We don't actually know if any of the victims are descendants of the original conspirators apart from Father Malone, who admits guilt.

I got a backdated pay raise, so I ordered All These Haunts Be Ours in the Black Friday sale. It's half price today only on the Severin site.