Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Yeah you’re right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

I do get that, but this game omits really basic features that the developers themselves have included in their previous games. Games from two decades ago!

Plus Yuke's is a studio that has been in existence for 30 years. it's not like they don't have any clue what they're doing, despite their attempts to prove otherwise with this game.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

buy Slay The Princess

This is correct general life advice.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'll probably never play that - I enjoy watching streamer's play it. Woolie's run was great.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The WWE 2K series cut features when going between console generations…

I can’t say that I am more interested in playing WWE 2K games than Fight Forever. I love the FF gameplay. But it just needs like a basic career mode

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I honestly don’t see it. Gameplay wasn’t super reminiscent of the good old games when I had it, though tbf I only played single-player (I had neither the desire nor the ability, given how unpopular the game is, to play online). And they massacred my boy (read: turned Ricky Starks into Gollum). Then Stadium Stampede, which was supposed to turn things around, did not.

This second gimmick game mode doesn’t inspire much hope that new basic modes are around the bend… It was weird to me that they advertised the sub-Warioware minigames as actual features to expect, given that. A game this spare, you should probably present as though all possible effort were going into the core game modes and Gunn Club Duck Hunt or whatever were just things the devs slapped together for fun on their downtime.

In short,

Basic Chunnel posted:

Starting to think YUKES might not be cut out for this work

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I was all for giving Yukes another chance considering the insane schedule/budget WWE was giving them plus WWE just being WWE in general but after seeing what they're capable of given a blank check and basically unlimited time I gotta say yeah, they don't have it.

Just hire Mat Dickie at this point and make an AEW-themed port of Wrestling Empire.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
If Mat Dickie was in charge, all those restaurant scenes would lead into a crazy brawl with the waitress and leave you injured for the rest of the campaign.

They should hire him.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Kennel posted:

If Mat Dickie was in charge, all those restaurant scenes would lead into a crazy brawl with the waitress and leave you injured for the rest of the campaign.

They should hire him.

Wrestling Empire is kind of a low-key horror game because every time you enter a room like 30 people start gravitating towards you and you have no idea which ones are gonna be friendly and which ones are gonna start trying to murder you on the spot, it's a great game.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mdickie, bring back limbs getting blown off in explosions that you can pick up and hit people with

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The gameplay is fast moving, the moves feel good and the chain grappling looks really good, I don’t think there’s a thing wrong with the gameplay.

Despite the game already being delayed quite a bit I think they didn’t have enough time to flesh it out- just making the core game work probably took most of their time, wrestling games are hard and that’s why you don’t see a lot of small indie ones- and so there was probably a point where the publisher said to go to market, and so the actual release was lacking. It’s the same thing that’s happened to a lot of games lately, the attempted Saints Row reboot was one of them. It’s hard to make B-level games, one that require more resources than an indie but don’t quite have the audience for AAA budgets.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

all they need is more match types like idk tornado tags and 3 way ladder matches?? These not being in the dlc or patches is baffling

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Just making the existing wrestler's clothes selectable as CAW parts would do so much for the customization but they couldn't even get to that level. We'll have a t-shirt for every flag on earth but hope you like one of the 2 pants you get.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

also 7 different varieties of camoflauge

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i would trade the entire caw system for tag team cage matches

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

i would trade the entire caw system for tag team cage matches

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Alternate Take: FF should have just been a DLC pack for Fire Pro World

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

fire pro would finally be fun to play

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Drakkel posted:

honestly yeah.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Drakkel posted:

I would have preferred that, yeah

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

The gameplay is good in theory but wasn’t nearly tested enough, I blasted through most of the story mode as Abadon just hammering out strikes. It doesn’t measure up to the AKI games, and the matches being very short (with no option to extend health) makes acting out a big match pointless because once people take enough moves the next pin is guaranteed.

The cartoony style of the graphics is all over the place, doesn’t help the game run better, and doesn’t appear to make it easier for them to keep the roster up to date.

How much work went into Stadium Stampede, and is there a point in an awful battle royale if they can’t even use it to milk whales?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

keithy george posted:

How much work went into Stadium Stampede, and is there a point in an awful battle royale if they can’t even use it to milk whales?

Excuse me

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 24, 2023

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Games: Is there a point if they can't even use it to milk whales?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I saw the Milk Whales play at Lollapalooza back in 1994.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Minidust posted:

what are some examples of the superior gameplay mechanics in Fight Forever? I'm skeptical because it feels like the "barebones presentation but BEST GAMEPLAY IN A DECADE" narrative was decided like a year before release. And it may very well be true! I ask in good faith, I haven't bought a WWE game since '12 on the Xbox 360 and that arcadey one (I think "All Stars"?) on 3DS

I haven't played the last couple wwes but AEW isn't really much better imo. I like that there's no qte for getting out of a pin but that's all I can think of that's better

I went from AEW to Wrestling Empire and honestly think it's pretty equal to WE gameplay, but WE has a way better career mode ofc

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

keithy george posted:

The gameplay is good in theory but wasn’t nearly tested enough, I blasted through most of the story mode as Abadon just hammering out strikes. It doesn’t measure up to the AKI games, and the matches being very short (with no option to extend health) makes acting out a big match pointless because once people take enough moves the next pin is guaranteed.
This makes sense for a fighting game though. But wrestling is supposed to be cinematic. I don’t know how you come up with a balance that rewards you with having skill but doesn’t end up feeling like you lose because of some random number generator.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Astro7x posted:

This makes sense for a fighting game though. But wrestling is supposed to be cinematic. I don’t know how you come up with a balance that rewards you with having skill but doesn’t end up feeling like you lose because of some random number generator.
The AKI games have you in a vulnerable state, but if you can last through that and not get pinned, you can get your momentum back - like a wrestling match, really. In FF it seemed (unless they patched it) like you never recover once damage is done and so after punishment you're just in a permanent state of vulnerability to a 3 count.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AEWFightForever/comments/14p7fj5/this_could_be_the_reason_matches_ending_quick_no/

The system in the early Smackdown games was more opaque but the main difference is that it was still a chance of an unpredictable kickout. I'm not an expert on the Fire Pro system, they're all different but they all feel like wrestling. The only instance I can think of this being sort of wrong was WWE '13 never having a 2 count pin - technically it's the same result of pin/no pin but it spoiled the experience.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

stop trying to ruin the gameplay by making it longer!

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

But I like long matches

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean I don't think every wrestling game has to have the same match pacing. FPW is better for your five star classics, FF is good if you just wanna beat stuff up for a bit.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's one of those things where matches basically being the length of a fighting game set just sort of defeats the purpose of it being a wrestling game, imho

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
WrestleQuest must have bombed because it's being bundled for pennies on the dollar
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/black-friday-score-walking-dead-more-from-skybound

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

fez_machine posted:

WrestleQuest must have bombed because it's being bundled for pennies on the dollar
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/black-friday-score-walking-dead-more-from-skybound

Ratings on Steam are good but there's only 285 of them so yeah

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Gavok posted:

I saw the Milk Whales play at Lollapalooza back in 1994.

Caught them on a double bill with The Flaming Lips, poo poo ruled

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

keithy george posted:

The AKI games have you in a vulnerable state, but if you can last through that and not get pinned, you can get your momentum back - like a wrestling match, really. In FF it seemed (unless they patched it) like you never recover once damage is done and so after punishment you're just in a permanent state of vulnerability to a 3 count.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AEWFightForever/comments/14p7fj5/this_could_be_the_reason_matches_ending_quick_no/

The system in the early Smackdown games was more opaque but the main difference is that it was still a chance of an unpredictable kickout. I'm not an expert on the Fire Pro system, they're all different but they all feel like wrestling. The only instance I can think of this being sort of wrong was WWE '13 never having a 2 count pin - technically it's the same result of pin/no pin but it spoiled the experience.
FPW’s not much better in terms of flow, you can routinely see guys getting pinned off regular rear end moves (which I guess is maybe a thing more faithful to “oh poo poo a vertical suplex” puro psychology? Idk) or tapping to rest holds. It’s just that the AI tuning is granular enough that you can probably reduce the opportunities for blatant anticlimax, and at least have guys do the moves they would do irl.

But yeah, it’s fair to point out the tension between action / arcade design and simulation. AKI straddled the line better the best; Yuke’s was always on the arcade side of things and drifted over the years toward sim.

Given the choice, I’ll always go for better simulation over more arcade-y input. My issues with the 2K games are always the ways they try to split the difference and fail. Or their general technical instability, I guess. 2K games feel like second-tier AAA sports games, but FF feels more like a digital storefront budget title, like the official F1 games or FIFA manager titles, even a higher-tier hunting or bass fishing game.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Basic Chunnel posted:

FPW’s not much better in terms of flow, you can routinely see guys getting pinned off regular rear end moves (which I guess is maybe a thing more faithful to “oh poo poo a vertical suplex” puro psychology? Idk) or tapping to rest holds. It’s just that the AI tuning is granular enough that you can probably reduce the opportunities for blatant anticlimax, and at least have guys do the moves they would do irl.

You can basically eliminate later match rest holds and pin attempts of scoop slams with AI. Not everyone has the ability to mod but the FPW mod can remove all unwanted rest hold taps and pins off non finisher/signatures while playing as well.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

But yeah, it’s fair to point out the tension between action / arcade design and simulation. AKI straddled the line better the best; Yuke’s was always on the arcade side of things and drifted over the years toward sim.

Given the choice, I’ll always go for better simulation over more arcade-y input. My issues with the 2K games are always the ways they try to split the difference and fail. Or their general technical instability, I guess. 2K games feel like second-tier AAA sports games, but FF feels more like a digital storefront budget title, like the official F1 games or FIFA manager titles, even a higher-tier hunting or bass fishing game.

??? the F1 games have been high-profile, AAA games for a long time lmao

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i prefer the official F-Zero games

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's one of those things where matches basically being the length of a fighting game set just sort of defeats the purpose of it being a wrestling game, imho

Yeah, the ideal length for a match in a wrestling game (unless you're just curbstomping) is about 5-10 minutes. Fight Forever seems to aim for like 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
should sue aew because the name is false advertising, really