Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ok Comboomer posted:

Lord Bude, what do you even use your Mac Studio for?

Did you spend ~$4000-5000USD to play Baldurs Gate at 5K/60?

Halsin's hairy bear rear end has never looked so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Ok Comboomer posted:

Lord Bude, what do you even use your Mac Studio for?

Did you spend ~$4000-5000USD to play Baldurs Gate at 5K/60?

I mean it didn’t cost that much, excluding the display it was like 3800 AUD. But yes. I work front end in a grocery store, I don’t do like work stuff on it or anything.

My old computer was dying, I’d been wanting to ditch windows for ages, but I wasn’t willing to do it until I could get at least acceptable gaming performance out of a Mac (which the M1 Max solved) and my computer died right as GPU prices were going through the roof (fun fact, had I built a new PC instead, a 2080 alone would have cost me $3k).

honestly, of the 5 computers I’ve had since the beginning of 2008 I’m pretty sure this was the cheapest of them. Even if you add the apple studio display it’s not the most expensive.

American McGay posted:

lmfao brother come on...

what? the poster I quoted cited TF2 as a specific example of a game he would want to play on a lightweight laptop, but thought he couldn’t and I was pointing out he actually could.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Lord Bude posted:

I mean it didn’t cost that much, excluding the display it was like 3800 AUD. But yes. I work front end in a grocery store, I don’t do like work stuff on it or anything.

My old computer was dying, I’d been wanting to ditch windows for ages, but I wasn’t willing to do it until I could get at least acceptable gaming performance out of a Mac (which the M1 Max solved) and my computer died right as GPU prices were going through the roof (fun fact, had I built a new PC instead, a 2080 alone would have cost me $3k).

honestly, of the 5 computers I’ve had since the beginning of 2008 I’m pretty sure this was the cheapest of them. Even if you add the apple studio display it’s not the most expensive.

what? the poster I quoted cited TF2 as a specific example of a game he would want to play on a lightweight laptop, but thought he couldn’t and I was pointing out he actually could.

why would you exclude the $1600USD (unless you got the fancier base, and then it's $2K) display? That seems a bit cagey to me when you consider how many posts you've made defending it explaining how intrinsic it is to the high end Mac experience because Apple, a multi-trillion dollar company with enough resources to roll their own desktop chips, does OS scaling in a consumer-hostile manner in order to push discerning morons to their bespoke display offerings with profit margins wider than a goon

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Twerk from Home posted:

The patchwork of different ways to run games puts Mac OS in a worse than Linux position for gaming, which is pretty comical.

I was curious how the Game Porting Toolkit handles AVX instructions, because I know it uses Rosetta, and it looks like it just doesn't and you cant run games that need AVX/AVX2: https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/Game_Porting_Toolkit

It also looks like it's downright nasty to work with, you get to deal with the whole host of wine tricks and flags, and it still won't let you run a whole bunch of low system requirements games that I want to be able to play on a portable laptop, like Team Fortress 2 or Counter Strike.

In general I agree with this, but you're also ignoring that Apple has quietly allowed Codeweavers to essentially integrate the D3DMetal conversion from the GPTK into Crossover, and apparently worked with them some on optimizing it, and so Crossover could very well become the de-facto standard long-term for Proton-type Mac gaming, at least until Apple may or may not get their poo poo together someday for gaming (my guess is they'll just continue to make hardware improvements and occasionally software options while pushing Codeweavers or others to do the actual work).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Ok Comboomer posted:

why would you exclude the $1600USD (unless you got the fancier base, and then it's $2K) display? That seems a bit cagey to me when you consider how many posts you've made defending it explaining how intrinsic it is to the high end Mac experience because Apple, a multi-trillion dollar company with enough resources to roll their own desktop chips, does OS scaling in a consumer-hostile manner in order to push discerning morons to their bespoke display offerings with profit margins wider than a goon

I think of the cost of buying a monitor as a seperate expense to buying a computer because you don’t replace your monitor every time you replace your computer. Had I wanted to, I could have continued using the monitor I had before for example. It’s a separate thing on a separate replacement cycle. I also didn’t factor in the cost of buying the Magic Keyboard or Magic Trackpad or AirPods Max for the same reason. Or the speakers that I already owned and am still using.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MarcusSA posted:

I’m paying extra because the Mac has the best drat trackpad you can get

Absolutely worth the CAD $150 I paid for mine.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Dude, I’m sad to see you’re still this mad about Apple’s Prosumer Display for Rubes. They make some good products, and they also make overpriced things that are good enough for a lot of people in their ecosystem as well as people who want to show they’re with it by spending money. It works for some people; it really doesn’t hold my interest at all; it provokes wrath within you. It’s all fine. I just don’t know why you’re haunting the chapel, moaning about Apple’s products being bad value when a lot of us are talking about Macs specifically, and not about That loving Monitor Again.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
macs are bad actually

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
is he still mad about one of the only 5k displays you can buy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Deal chat

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

MarcusSA posted:

Deal chat

Yes, if legitimate, that is boner

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

MarcusSA posted:

What’s your angle here?

I'm not really sure what this question is supposed to mean, but I'll do my best. I read this thread because I think Apple hardware is interesting and innovative. I'm curious to see how it develops and how people like to use it. I think it's good for there to be consumer alternatives to x86, and to Windows. However, for various reasons I am not a Mac user. I'm cheap, I like to be able to alter my machines, I don't like when the OS stops supporting my hardware for arbitrary reasons (Windows 11 is bad at this too, but can be worked around), I want to be able to play Windows games, and honestly I mostly used PCs as a kid and in school so inertia has played a large role. I can see how other people would have different priorities though that would lead them to a different decision, and good for them. Again, it's good to have alternatives out there.

So, again, if you prefer Macs I'm not going to say you're wrong, or you're wasting your money, or anything like that. But often, when I read this thread, I see posters insinuating or saying directly that PCs categorically have worse performance, or they are badly made, or that using Windows is an impossible drag (and maybe it is - for you, not everyone). I disagree, so here we are.

Corb3t posted:

Maybe he works for Microsoft?

I don't and never have - I work for a networking OEM. Most of my coworkers use Macs. If that's how they get their work done best, good for them.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 24, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

TwoDice posted:

is he still mad about one of the only 5k displays you can buy

Ironically everyone had hoped that Samsung's ViewFinity S9 would prove a cheaper, nearly-capable alternative to the Studio Display, and then it released at the same price, with bugs, but albeit a few more features (height adjustment, matte coating, etc.), but is still a step down in terms of build quality.

It's been going on sale now though, and with the sales, it's a decent alternative to the Studio Display at 5K, with the bonus that it has multiple inputs so you can have more than just one system connected to it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

Dude, I’m sad to see you’re still this mad about Apple’s Prosumer Display for Rubes. They make some good products, and they also make overpriced things that are good enough for a lot of people in their ecosystem as well as people who want to show they’re with it by spending money. It works for some people; it really doesn’t hold my interest at all; it provokes wrath within you. It’s all fine. I just don’t know why you’re haunting the chapel, moaning about Apple’s products being bad value when a lot of us are talking about Macs specifically, and not about That loving Monitor Again.

I’m not mad about the display at all I’m just :psyduck: at Bude’s $4000 posting-and-only-posting rig and I didn’t want to give him the out of saying that the display isn’t essential to the experience, since he clearly thinks it is

like I appreciate pretty, nicely constructed things as much as the next guy here and, like, spend your money however you want but Jesus. At least a dumbshit gaming rig can, you know, game. Say what you will on the value proposition of a five figure Intel Mac Pro, at least those are presumably generating value for the buyer and/or at least being written off

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 24, 2023

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Eletriarnation posted:

Maybe my misinterpretation, then? This is the post I was responding to:

Really seems like trying to find a justification for intense RAM prices to me.
It was an attempt at a self deprecating joke, I’m extremely pleased with the specs and capabilities that I got for a bit under $1500 all in after trading in my old MBP. Could I have spent less on a Thinkpad? Could it play more games? Yeah sure. But I like updated versions of what I’m used to and bigger number for less money just doesn’t weigh that much for me. Stuff like the nice trackpad and keyboard (now, the butterfly era was bad for sure), battery life, and simple software that enables me to do my job without tinkering are pleasant and worth paying for. The only reason for the extra RAM was for BGIII anyway, I know 8 gb would have been plenty otherwise because it was enough on my previous MBP.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hatty posted:

macs computers are bad actually

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hasturtium posted:

Yes, if legitimate, that is boner

I posted it yesterday in this thread :(

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

gloom posted:

It was an attempt at a self deprecating joke, I’m extremely pleased with the specs and capabilities that I got for a bit under $1500 all in after trading in my old MBP. Could I have spent less on a Thinkpad? Could it play more games? Yeah sure. But I like updated versions of what I’m used to and bigger number for less money just doesn’t weigh that much for me. Stuff like the nice trackpad and keyboard (now, the butterfly era was bad for sure), battery life, and simple software that enables me to do my job without tinkering are pleasant and worth paying for. The only reason for the extra RAM was for BGIII anyway, I know 8 gb would have been plenty otherwise because it was enough on my previous MBP.

Excellent, all of that is completely valid! You're buying what you want! But when you say "The Apple premium is just what it costs to have a computer that doesn’t make you hate yourself." that comes off as hyperbolic and defensive because among other things, Apple is about a quarter of the personal computer market and I do not believe that other 75% is all buying machines that make them hate themselves. It seems more likely that they just have different priorities.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 24, 2023

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

MarcusSA posted:

Deal chat

Good luck ever actually receiving it.
BH is horrible for listing products like this and then you never actually get it and you have to cancel your order months later or they do it for you.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xgalaxy posted:

Good luck ever actually receiving it.
BH is horrible for listing products like this and then you never actually get it and you have to cancel your order months later or they do it for you.

I bought one yesterday and it's already shipped.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Macichne Leainig posted:

Halsin's hairy bear rear end has never looked so good

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

All I know is, on a 2020 rMBP with 16 GB RAM and Ice Lake CPU, just visiting YouTube for 10 minutes makes the fans spin up so fast it's like its ready for takeoff.

On a God forsaken 13-inch M1 MBP with 16 GB of RAM, I can have multiple tabs of YouTube open, Word, Powerpoint, Acrobat, and PhotoShop open and not hear the fan or feel the heat in my lap.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't know that I've heard the fan ever turn on on my 14" M3 MBP

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Well thanks again for the advice and info. Wife wanted to take advantage of some black friday pricing, so had to decide between a 14" M3pro with a 1TB drive vs a 16" M3pro with 512GB. Decided to go with the 16" since we have plenty of external drives if more space is ever needed, and Hell - she's just in the last 2-3 years had to move things off her 2014 era MBP with 256GB anyway. Easy to find more hard drive space - impossible to switch screens.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FkstFAJ-9s

24 hr CrossOver cyber monday sale

Crossover+: 1 year patch support (lifetime license to any version dropped in the next 12 months): 70% off ($22)

Crossover Lifetime: what it says on the tin, perpetual upgrades and support: 23% off ($380)

codes are in the video description

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Crossover+: 1 year patch support (lifetime license to any version dropped in the next 12 months): 70% off ($22)

Crossover Lifetime: what it says on the tin, perpetual upgrades and support: 23% off ($380)

Fantastic deal especially with the GPTK support they have.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Couple of questions about Macbook Pros --

I'm a 3D artist / Unity dev. I have a pretty powerful desktop to handle the heaviest stuff so I'm not worried about being able to render nosehairs and such on the go, but I do need it to be able to navigate projects smoothly and obviously would like it to be capable of doing more.
Right now I have a 2019 16" Macbook Pro; I went for the best processor and GPU available at the time and they definitely fall short of what I need if I want to use it for regular work, but from what I hear the M series is a lot more capable?

Two big questions:

- How does the portability compare between the 14" and 16" models? Some days I'm on my feet for hours at a time so this might actually be my biggest concern, even more than performance (since I do most of my work on the desktop anyway). I definitely find the 16" I have to be enough of an encumbrance that I leave it behind unless I know I'll need it, but I'd much rather have a decent laptop available to me wherever I am.

- What's prompting this purchase is the Vision Pro headset coming out next year -- apparently it needs an Apple Silicone chip to make apps for. Kind of has me wondering if it isn't worth just going for a used M2, or even like, bottom of the barrel M1 regular Macbook or something just to fullfil that requirement, since the headset by itself is obviously a pretty major expense. But I've heard much better things about 3D work in the newer models (also the black looks cool so) and if I'm already dropping $1000 on a laptop I'm unhappy with I'd sort of rather spend $3000 on one I might actually really like. But if the M2s especially are nearly everything I'd need, I wouldn't pass up saving some money.

Any advice would be appreciated! Especially if anyone happens to have a similar usecase, or knows good benchmarks or something. Right now I've been looking at the 14" M3 Max with the processor at the baseline, but they don't have any of the new models available for demos near me so that's more of a guess for what I might need than me actually knowing.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 27, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Koramei posted:

Couple of questions about Macbook Pros --

I'm a 3D artist / Unity dev. I have a pretty powerful desktop to handle the heaviest stuff so I'm not worried about being able to render nosehairs and such on the go, but I do need it to be able to navigate projects smoothly and obviously would like it to be capable of doing more.
Right now I have a 2019 16" Macbook Pro; I went for the best processor and GPU available at the time and they definitely fall short of what I need if I want to use it for regular work, but from what I hear the M series is a lot more capable?

Two big questions:

- How does the portability compare between the 14" and 16" models? Some days I'm on my feet for hours at a time so this might actually be my biggest concern, even more than performance (since I do most of my work on the desktop anyway). I definitely find the 16" I have to be enough of an encumbrance that I leave it behind unless I know I'll need it, but I'd much rather have a decent laptop available to me wherever I am.

- What's prompting this purchase is the Vision Pro headset coming out next year -- apparently it needs an Apple Silicone chip to make apps for. Kind of has me wondering if it isn't worth just going for a used M2, or even like, bottom of the barrel M1 regular Macbook or something just to fullfil that requirement, since the headset by itself is obviously a pretty major expense. But I've heard much better things about 3D work in the newer models (also the black looks cool so) and if I'm already dropping $1000 on a laptop I'm unhappy with I'd sort of rather spend $3000 on one I might actually really like. But if the M2s especially are nearly everything I'd need, I wouldn't pass up saving some money.

Any advice would be appreciated! Especially if anyone happens to have a similar usecase, or knows good benchmarks or something. Right now I've been looking at the 14" M3 Max with the processor at the baseline, but they don't have any of the new models available for demos near me so that's more of a guess for what I might need than me actually knowing.

i like the big computers so i wont comment on portability but i will say that its likely that the low-end macbook air will be faster than your current macbook. this isn't to say you shouldn't go for the speedier options, just a setting of expectations

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ok Comboomer posted:

Oh that’s pretty cool. Is there much benefit with messing with this vs a Parallels VM?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Warbird posted:

Oh that’s pretty cool. Is there much benefit with messing with this vs a Parallels VM?

Yeah it's much easier IMO to get games running esp DX12 ones.

It's a steal at 22 if you want to play windows games.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

mediaphage posted:

i like the big computers so i wont comment on portability but i will say that its likely that the low-end macbook air will be faster than your current macbook. this isn't to say you shouldn't go for the speedier options, just a setting of expectations

Huh wow okay, that definitely sets my expectations differently. How much faster are we talkin', here? Maybe I should think with more futureproofing in mind here but if they're that good, the performance hit for extra portability is a tradeoff I'm kind of down for. I honestly wasn't even considering a non pro option but like I said my desktop is for the heavy stuff, 90% of what my laptop is for is notes etc.

Big concern for me is thermals, I guess -- Airs are entirely passive cooling right? Especially if it's a bit slower a Unity build could take it a long time (like hours at times), is that something it'll be able to pull through or is a sustained load likely to be a problem?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it's much easier IMO to get games running esp DX12 ones.

It's a steal at 22 if you want to play windows games.

Were you able to get D4 going on it? I've been having a hell of a time getting it to install and run consistently.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Canned Sunshine posted:

Were you able to get D4 going on it? I've been having a hell of a time getting it to install and run consistently.

I haven't but the dude in the video seemed to be able to do it. I might try it tomorrow if I get time though.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Koramei posted:

Huh wow okay, that definitely sets my expectations differently. How much faster are we talkin', here? Maybe I should think with more futureproofing in mind here but if they're that good, the performance hit for extra portability is a tradeoff I'm kind of down for. I honestly wasn't even considering a non pro option but like I said my desktop is for the heavy stuff, 90% of what my laptop is for is notes etc.

Big concern for me is thermals, I guess -- Airs are entirely passive cooling right? Especially if it's a bit slower a Unity build could take it a long time (like hours at times), is that something it'll be able to pull through or is a sustained load likely to be a problem?

The 14” MacBook Pro (with an Mx Pro/Max chip) is God’s own perfect computer. You are giving up almost no performance (there’s some boost that the Max can do in the 16” when plugged in) for the perfect portable form factor. After years of work buying me 16” laptops that always felt just a bit heavy in my backpack I am in love with my 14”.

I have an M1 Pro w 32 GB of RAM and I have run unity while running multiple Docker containers and I have never heard the fan on this thing.

An Air could probably do it but yes might slow down a bit.

Riven fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 27, 2023

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Apple have their Christmas returns policy so you could buy one now and have 4-6 weeks trying it out to see how it meets your needs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Koramei posted:

Get a 14”, either with an M3 Pro or M3 Max (if you can get a deal on an M2 Pro/Max, or even M1 Pro/Max, and you want to save money, you can go with one of those). You could make do with a base chipset machine like an Air or the new M3 14” Pro (the one that replaces the old touchbar 13” in the lineup) but I think you’ll find the limitations too great WRT connectivity and external displays, etc.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
honestly i think the m3 non pro pro is even less worthwhile than the touch bar intel 13-inch machine

Koramei posted:

given your desires to be honest i think it would be worthwhile considering an air and putting it through its paces then returning it with their liberal two-week return policy and buying a macbook pro if it doesn’t work out. if you have the credit for it buy one of each and keep the best one for your situation.

it’s true that airs are passively cooled and that you will eventually hit throttling but unlike an intel machine it takes like ten minutes of sustained load and then the performance hit is actually not very large.

the biggest downside most nerds here have with the m* non pro/max chips is that you’re limited to a single external display with them versus multiple with the pro/max chips. personally i wish the airs had an sd slot but meh

the screens are nicer on the pro machines but i think for most people it’s not so great a distinction that they care too much

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Canned Sunshine posted:

I just bought & installed Crossover on my new Macbook Pro M3 and it just worked. There is a list of suggested games when you fire up Crossover, I just picked D4 from the list and it did everything by itself, no configuration necessary. Performance is...fine. You have to turn down the settings but it's still absolutely acceptable on the 14 inch screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Canned Sunshine posted:

D4 is one of the games that it shows by default as being a popular app so they apparently have a preconfigured solution that should just work.