Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Quote-Unquote posted:

But streaming still looks and sounds shittier than literally any other way of viewing media because the providers refuse to make use of the network technology in order to save money.

Yeah streaming is dependent on everything going on with the cables so Video On Demand might not be viable everywhere, but you can just access your own 4k/8k stuff via your own network infrastructure easy via the lovely router your ISP gave you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not buying physical media but I get the feeling they'll kick us off the internet one day and physical media havers will become feudal lords in the vacuum.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

If the only way to watch a movie in 4k/8k is to buy a disc, pirate it. There must be an offline download option in your streaming service.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I love contributing to e-waste so I can see a movie in slightly higher resolution

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There are videos online of adult men firing up N64's and losing their poo poo at the GoldenEye intro jingle. Children whose first few games where digitally distributed will never have such a sharp slap of nostalgia, even if the executables are perfectly forward ported. It's why seeing your old stuffed toy that's been hiding in a storage box is such an wonderful thing, but seeing a new one in the store window is less so.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

pixel bitches posted:

Why is it only PC gamers who constantly insist on PC gaming being superior? Console gamers just be like whatever man just chill and play some games who cares how you do it :cool:

Why do PC gamers say PCs are superior while console gamers don't say consoles are superior? Hmm, it just doesn't make sense unless PCs actually are better...

I used to do both but consoles just feel pointless in 2023. I don't even know what the Xbox 4 is called.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
console players dont even think about pcs

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Serephina posted:

There are videos online of adult men firing up N64's and losing their poo poo at the GoldenEye intro jingle. Children whose first few games where digitally distributed will never have such a sharp slap of nostalgia, even if the executables are perfectly forward ported. It's why seeing your old stuffed toy that's been hiding in a storage box is such an wonderful thing, but seeing a new one in the store window is less so.

Honestly can't tell if poor emulation is the reason why Goldeneye sucks so much on my rpi4 or if it's just a poo poo game

I mostly only use it for speedball 2

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

But streaming still looks and sounds shittier than literally any other way of viewing media because the providers refuse to make use of the network technology in order to save money.

Streaming does suck I liked when HBO made a super duper dark and snowy episode of game of thrones and the compression absolutely murdered it and of course the download files were all source from the stream.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

Streaming does suck I liked when HBO made a super duper dark and snowy episode of game of thrones and the compression absolutely murdered it and of course the download files were all source from the stream.

lol so your options are buy the disc or pirate it from someone that bought the disc

Did the Stadia look as poo poo as streaming media? I never tried one. Everyone was talking about streaming games being the future and just lol if you think any company is going to spend enough to make modern games look good on streaming when they can't even get movies right.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Streaming is not the point. It's using the available throughput to acquire the data they would otherwise plop on a plastic coaster. Being able to keep the stuff you bought.

Being able to own the data isn't tied to the plastic coaster nor it should be.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

The Moon Monster posted:

I used to do both but consoles just feel pointless in 2023. I don't even know what the Xbox 4 is called.

The XBox 3 is called the XBox 1 :v:

My ex girlfriend made a good argument about the benefit of consoles over PCs: "They just work. I turn it on and I can play."

Getting some things to work over the Steam link, AND it being able to sync with all the controls was sometimes a hassle.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
That's... a comparison between a console and a steam link. Not a console and a pc

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

"It just works" has been true of PC gaming too ever since the advent of digital distribution ~18 years ago. I can't remember the last time I had to do anything to run a game aside from download it on Steam and click Play

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

lol so your options are buy the disc or pirate it from someone that bought the disc

Did the Stadia look as poo poo as streaming media? I never tried one. Everyone was talking about streaming games being the future and just lol if you think any company is going to spend enough to make modern games look good on streaming when they can't even get movies right.

Yeah that episode in particular seemed deliberately designed to gently caress with people who stream/those who pirate. Of course you can get a better quality now but not all things end up having blu-ray releases at all.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I don't think anyone ever argued that PCs are simpler to use than consoles. That's THE reason you'd want to buy a console.

But check this out:
I own a PS2 slim. Bought it way back when. My copy of Ratchet and Clank doesn't read anymore. The DVD drive might be getting old, or the DVD itself might be disintegrating.

I used my pc to burn a DVD that allowed me to make a usb flash drive that overcomes PS2 copy protections and I can play all my PS2 games easier and faster than using the DVD drive by just reading them off the USB slot PS2 came with.

That PS2 would be useless without a PC I own.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pixel bitches posted:

Why is it only PC gamers who constantly insist on PC gaming being superior? Console gamers just be like whatever man just chill and play some games who cares how you do it :cool:

It's a console gamer who brings up the argument itt literally every time

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I for one like the platform wars as it allows me to switch teams to support souls games and disco elysium. And then switch again to poo poo on dark souls 2.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Serephina posted:

Lol not exactly a feeling worth being precious about, oh noo kids won't have a brief emotional reaction to old consumer software. Not to mention they absolutely will, the machine that made us into the consumers we are were never stopped or slowed. By design they will have more of those nostalgia hits.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

If you own anything faster than a pentium 120 you are contributing to e waste

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Modern games try to capture the "nostalgia" of PC gaming in the 1990s but they don't require me reduce the playing window to the size of a stamp so as to have a playable fame rate.

hell yeah

credburn fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 25, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

The only time I've ever really noticed it, personally, is in regards to games like Destiny where the devs themselves would constantly cite things like "PS3 hardware limitations" as an excuse for why they couldn't do things people kept asking them to do. But then when Destiny 2 came out they didn't do most of those things anyway and once the PS4 reached the end of its life they began to cite the same poo poo. Which, you know, really just makes it look like they don't want to do things or make their game less poo poo but also don't want to just say that.

yeah but Bungie has become a v. lovely company with no idea how to maintain their lovely code base, let alone add new features. Their sweet spot used to be really high concept Science Fiction in games with extremely good controls/gunplay, but now its :shrug:

credburn posted:

hell yeah

My eternal PC gaming shame - my very first PC was a Packard Bell 486/25SX with 4mb of RAM. I was in the BIOS screwing around with settings and somehow enabled "Shadow Video RAM". Honestly I dont even loving know why that was a setting in the BIOS, but that computer went from running Doom normally to running Doom like the picture. My nparents got stupid mad at me for :airquote: breaking :airquote: the computer (:lol: wtf were they doing, playing Doom with it?) and locked me out of the BIOS. Tbf I didn't know specifically it was that setting that borked the computer, but I spent the next six months playing Doom and Xcom like that screenshot.

Then someone at school (or maybe it was work?) told me about removing the CMOS battery, which not only cleared the password but also reset the Shadow Video RAM setting. It was like getting a new computer.

#truegamingstories

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
There are four consoles:
Xbox
Sony
Nintendo
Steam

Tho their interfaces are different for video games there's really only minute differences in controller layout or design. Nintendo made the wiimote, Steam has the mouse and keyboard, and Sony uses symbols instead of letters. But they're all fine consoles.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
you forgot the intellivision amico

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i play on pc but still use a controller for first person shooters :twisted:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

:argh: TOMMY TALLARICO

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

and you forgot the ouya, for shame

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Why is nobody mentioning the clear winning platform by numbers?

Android/iPhone

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I used to work with a guy whose entire personality was centered around being a "gamer". His fun fact he shared about himself was that he's a bigtime gamer. He loves games. Spends all of his time playing games. He asked everyone what games they played. If you went on break at the same time as him he would talk your ear off about his favorite game.

The only game he played was Clash of Clans.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

There are four consoles:
Xbox
Sony
Nintendo
Steam

Tho their interfaces are different for video games there's really only minute differences in controller layout or design. Nintendo made the wiimote, Steam has the mouse and keyboard, and Sony uses symbols instead of letters. But they're all fine consoles.

Gog is better than steam imo

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

deep dish peat moss posted:

I used to work with a guy whose entire personality was centered around being a "gamer". His fun fact he shared about himself was that he's a bigtime gamer. He loves games. Spends all of his time playing games. He asked everyone what games they played. If you went on break at the same time as him he would talk your ear off about his favorite game.

The only game he played was Clash of Clans.

I didn't know Jolly boy John had a brother.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

PC is cool because I can play Alley Cat from 1984, a reverse engineered port of Goldeneye(Perfect Dark is the one that got a port, I was thinking of the hack that injects keyboard & mouse support and overclocks the emulator so the game runs at 60fps, Goldeneye hasn't been fully RE'd yet) emulate the entire libraries of console ecosystems prior to ~2000 all on the one computer, and there's a game store that will let me play purchases I made almost 20 years ago 20+ years from now on any PC that is powerful enough to run them.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 25, 2023

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Quote-Unquote posted:

Honestly can't tell if poor emulation is the reason why Goldeneye sucks so much on my rpi4 or if it's just a poo poo game

I mostly only use it for speedball 2

As the threads officially designated N64 liker I can tell you with 100% certainty that it’s because Goldeneye sucks rear end.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i play on pc but still use a controller for first person shooters :twisted:

I play point and click adventure games on my modded Wii with the original Wii remote.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

galagazombie posted:

As the threads officially designated N64 liker I can tell you with 100% certainty that it’s because Goldeneye sucks rear end.

It's great with a keyboard and mouse. A bit easy tho.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i like having ps5 disks because i can lend and borrow games wiith my friends and family

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I just use family sharing on Steam. Or piracy.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Caesar Saladin posted:

i like having ps5 disks because i can lend and borrow games wiith my friends and family

you know you're rich when even your friends and family own ps5s

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Also physical media is going to be dropped for consoles next gen, maybe not by Nintendo but everyone else virtually guaranteed. Making the optical drive an optional component turns it into a backwards compatibility peripheral like USB floppy drives for the iMac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I was playing Quake 2 Threewave Capture the flag in 1997 with my Voodoo1 and then later dual Voodoo 2s. Halo came out four years later and offered a very inferior experience.

Oh and 4K Physical Media kicks the poo poo out of compressed streaming media. I mean cmon now, let’s not be completely ridiculous here.