Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

1glitch0 posted:

It's kinda rich that Scorsese is yelling at the clouds over superhero movies when he's spent his entire career remaking the same east coast gangster movie for 60 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like they're probably too stupid to not get that read about any (popular) male politician they've been told they're supposed to dislike.

I think elite liberal ideology has degenerated to the degree that simply being charismatic or publicly behaving like a human who has individual wants and desires, is considered repugnant. Thus everyone able to show these qualities is all identical, regardless of how little they actually resemble each other i.e Napoleon as Trump. Its the final form of their anti-populism.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

politicians are all the same lizard person

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Nonsense posted:

politicians are all the same lizard person

idk what this alemanian is saying in that pig-mongrel language of theirs but I’m sure it's bad

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Broadlybrowsing posted:

I watched the Napoleon movie and I feel like the thing that will stick with me the most is Napoleon’s horny noises. Like, the noises he make when we wants to have sex with his wife.

Do they do a dramatic pan down to show the letter where he tells his wife not to bathe for a week before he gets home

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

Do they do a dramatic pan down to show the letter where he tells his wife not to bathe for a week before he gets home

No, but it would not have been out of place.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Marvel boys: "it's Martin Scorsese who's upset, actually"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Imagine if Michael Jackson could have been in one of the marvel movies.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

The Captain EO Extended Universe

Also I'd argue Scorcese is easily the best, most prolific, and least problematic of the big name american New Hollywood directors. S tier.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Durf posted:

The Captain EO Extended Universe

Also I'd argue Scorcese is easily the best, most prolific, and least problematic of the big name american New Hollywood directors. S tier.

Watched King of Comedy for the first time lately and that was great. Can’t think of a single Scorsese film I dislike.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Watched King of Comedy for the first time lately and that was great. Can’t think of a single Scorsese film I dislike.
i didn't care for gangs of new york, and also the aviator was kinda boring. oh yeah hugo was also really boring. but none i'd actively hate

controversial take: after hours is probably my favorite scorcese though

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Maya Fey posted:

just watch fargo season 1 again :coolslime:

i love vargo but nothing will ever top malvo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

watching Scavenger's Reign. how I hate the fat baby salamander

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i love vargo but nothing will ever top malvo

absolutely. billy bob was so fuckin' good. S1 was just a nice simple classic. kinda feel like the subsequent ones got a little too overboard but still good (besides 4)

i think i might say billy bob > mike milligan > varga

Xaris has issued a correction as of 01:39 on Nov 25, 2023

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Watched an episode of Blue Eye Samurai, it's p good and cool

But I've got some questions about its racial politics after one episode. Like, in fiction, Japan closing itself off to the world is more or less shown as a good thing, because foreigners are evil, and white people in particular are basically devils. Which, ok, yeah.

Where this gets weird to me is that the main character, Mizu, is mixed race, and is subject to intense racism over it, to the point where they (no idea which pronoun to use here) are explicitly considered deformed by every other character except one. And they seem to agree with the racism. Their overarching mission is to track down the four known white men in Japan and kill them, partially because they're all just bad people anyway, but mostly because one of them fathered Mizu (on a sex worker) and made them a monster, for which Mizu wants revenge. I find myself hoping that Mizu's arc involves growing to accept their own existence and finding some self-esteem, but, like, without the story becoming lib poo poo, and I'm not sure how that line can get drawn.

The creators are apparently themselves a mixed-race couple which makes sense for a story like this.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's only so much of your post that could be answered without going into spoilers. But having binged it over the last few days, I would say that Blue Eye Samurai's racial and gender politics are CSPAM-approved. Mizu is sort of a special case in comparison to all the other characters because she is Extremely Emotionally Damaged which the show will go into more detail about.

I will also add the caveat that while the show doesn't end on a hard cliffhanger, it does leave a fair bit open for Season 2 and Netflix has not officially renewed it yet.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

loquacius posted:

The message was that poverty forces you to be morally horrible, not the other way around. Also the villains are morally horrible by choice and they're rich

And getting money doesn't make the main character's life magically better at the end

Watch the series is what I'm saying

My posting gimmick is interpreting fiction in worse way possible, by way of using the perspectives of the most miserable people.
I cultivate the CHUD-o-VISION.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Never saw season 4 but the second and third seasons of Fargo seemed a little up their own rear end a bit in terms of the surrealism and playing with the format. Especially season 3, with the random cartoon about a robot in space and the ghosts of cossacks or whatever that just show up. Still really liked the show but Twin Peaks came back and did it so much better anyways.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

indigi posted:

watching Scavenger's Reign. how I hate the fat baby salamander

the fat baby salamander is a real nincompoop!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Xaris posted:

i didn't care for gangs of new york, and also the aviator was kinda boring. oh yeah hugo was also really boring. but none i'd actively hate

I really need to rewatch Gangs, since it’s probably been since it came out since I last saw it. watched The Aviator a couple weeks back and thought it was fine. Again, probably not seen fully since it released.

Not seen After Hours, shall have to give that a look.

Hugo? lol, forgot that event existed. Okay, maybe that one can be his one major misstep. Wasn’t it because he wanted a film his kids could see or something?

Remember Raul Julia being urged by his kids to be M. Bison and it killed him? Honourable sacrifice for art.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Xaris posted:

Gangs is by far my favorite Scorcese movie, but I haven't watched it in a long time. Although I think it was mostly Daniel Day Lewis. I remember watching it at like 22 years old and seeing Bill the Butcher and thinking oh poo poo, this is what acting is supposed to be.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

But I've got some questions about its racial politics after one episode. Like, in fiction, Japan closing itself off to the world is more or less shown as a good thing, because foreigners are evil, and white people in particular are basically devils. Which, ok, yeah.

Where this gets weird to me is that the main character, Mizu, is mixed race, and is subject to intense racism over it, to the point where they (no idea which pronoun to use here) are explicitly considered deformed by every other character except one. And they seem to agree with the racism. Their overarching mission is to track down the four known white men in Japan and kill them, partially because they're all just bad people anyway, but mostly because one of them fathered Mizu (on a sex worker) and made them a monster, for which Mizu wants revenge. I find myself hoping that Mizu's arc involves growing to accept their own existence and finding some self-esteem, but, like, without the story becoming lib poo poo, and I'm not sure how that line can get drawn.

The creators are apparently themselves a mixed-race couple which makes sense for a story like this.

oh Imma check this poo poo out

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

1glitch0 posted:

Gangs is by far my favorite Scorcese movie, but I haven't watched it in a long time. Although I think it was mostly Daniel Day Lewis. I remember watching it at like 22 years old and seeing Bill the Butcher and thinking oh poo poo, this is what acting is supposed to be.

Bill the Butcher was cinematic Solidus Snake to me when I saw it at uni and was playing MGS2.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

I think elite liberal ideology has degenerated to the degree that simply being charismatic or publicly behaving like a human who has individual wants and desires, is considered repugnant. Thus everyone able to show these qualities is all identical, regardless of how little they actually resemble each other i.e Napoleon as Trump. Its the final form of their anti-populism.

The Argentinean election apparently was Hilary vs Trump x5, liberals at this point seem to have no charisma and cannot recognise charisma, and see it as gauche and absurd and think everyone else must obviously agree.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

god please never let me be stranded anywhere with an Ursula and never let me depend on an Ozzie to have my back

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Bill the Butcher was cinematic Solidus Snake to me when I saw it at uni and was playing MGS2.

There were more scenes than not that he was on such a different level than what I had seen.

I think overall it's a good movie too.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Scorcese has made some spectacular movies that simply don’t the money that the “gangster” flicks do. After Hours and King of Comedy come up a lot, but it mystifies me why Bringing out the Dead with Nick loving Cage is just ignored, it’s wonderful.

Also Kundun, which went down Disney’s memory hole because China didn’t like it and you can’t legit buy or stream a copy anyplace. Hmm, this week on Amazon you can buy a South Korean DVD on Black Friday sale for $8, usually it’s only used VHS.

I wonder if MAYBE Disney making one of his favorite of his own films impossible for people to see irks him a bit?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
There was an NFT balloon at the macy day's parade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tCLwoPRyTY

And the back to the future musical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyNKgxHDCVM

Also Houston has their own parade thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huka2vpHix8

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

loquacius posted:

Except: Mizu is shown to be wrong and suffering because of it over and over. But also society is shown to be wrong too. Basically everyone who accepts an underlying premise about their station will end up suffering trying to fit themselves into their role. It's only when they accept that this doesn't define them can they thrive.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm not reading the spoiler, but, it's like, the lesson Mizu needs to learn is that it's ok to be (part) white, but I dunno how I feel about watching a show whose theme is that it's ok to be white

e: and also it's not like an actual IRL mixed-race couple is gonna make a show that implies that making a child mixed-race is a cruel thing to do to them, so Mizu is probably inevitably going to learn that lesson. I guess I'll just have to see how they handle it. The show has certainly grabbed my attention

loquacius has issued a correction as of 04:32 on Nov 25, 2023

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Axel. Diddy. Adams

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

loquacius posted:

I'm not reading the spoiler, but, it's like, the lesson Mizu needs to learn is that it's ok to be (part) white, but I dunno how I feel about watching a show whose theme is that it's ok to be white

e: and also it's not like an actual IRL mixed-race couple is gonna make a show that implies that making a child mixed-race is a cruel thing to do to them, so Mizu is probably inevitably going to learn that lesson. I guess I'll just have to see how they handle it. The show has certainly grabbed my attention

Just keep watching the show.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

loquacius posted:

Congratulations on finding a show that satisifies your need for promoting racial purity but not, you know, not tooooo much.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Is Beacon 23 supposed to be incomprehensible?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this fat magneto salamander is gettin on my nerves

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

pudgy baby head rear end mander

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

loquacius posted:

What episode are you on?
E: because it's shown p much from EP 1 that mizu is wrong to think the way she does

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

indigi posted:

this fat magneto salamander is gettin on my nerves
THREAD: B*rnie is like a fat magneto salamander alien and Levi is Hillary Clinton. (1/67)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

Gangs of New York would've been a classic if the focus were on Bill and not whatever the name of Leonardo DiCaprio's character was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

I think there's a broad difference between "you should not be ashamed of your ethnicity because you do not control it nor does it define you" and "it's OK to be white"