Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

i am harry posted:

yes turn everything on in your homes so you can be sent €1.34

3x25A main fuses allow for around 15kW/h usage. For 10 hours that makes 150kWh. You earn maybe 40-50 cents for each so that's 60-75€. Some people get less from their day job after taxes.

People mine bitcoins with less profit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

kmao

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Bitcoin cyberhackers setting the price of each kwh to negative infinity so they can solve capitalism

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Aside from being a dumb mistake, negative prices do happen occasionally in Denmark when the wind picks up just right, because the grid is essentially overloaded with nowhere to offload. I'm pretty sure certain big companies have ways to overcool or whatever when this happens.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/freddie_poser/status/1727725749023420723

aight how the gently caress does capitalism "solve" the problem of "enough people suddenly and unexpectedly want broccoli to be well outside the range of however much broccoli was already grown"

Capitalism doesn't give a poo poo about want, and only cares about demand.

Want = desire for something

Demand = desire for something and ability to pay for said thing

Bingbong, so simple, problem solved.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

3x25A main fuses allow for around 15kW/h usage. For 10 hours that makes 150kWh. You earn maybe 40-50 cents for each so that's 60-75€. Some people get less from their day job after taxes.

People mine bitcoins with less profit...

Would people actually get paid? Wouldn't the distributors pocket the difference and charge customers anyway?

Elman has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Nov 24, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elman posted:

Would people actually get paid? Wouldn't the distributors pocket the difference and charge customers anyway?

There are absolutely power companies that pass on the spot prices to the consumer like that, though it's kinda uncommon since usually you wind up with the opposite problem like what happened in texas where everyone was paying $9999/kWh or whatever

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cooking your rear end off?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Milo and POTUS posted:

Cooking your rear end off?

Killing in My rear end Off

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BonHair posted:

Aside from being a dumb mistake, negative prices do happen occasionally in Denmark when the wind picks up just right, because the grid is essentially overloaded with nowhere to offload. I'm pretty sure certain big companies have ways to overcool or whatever when this happens.

Yeah, i run a small home solar setup and was looking to add one of those little 400w wind turbines, just as a lark. Turns out that an important part of a wind system is having a power sink for when you're using less electricity than you're producing, because otherwise the turbine overspins and the bearings get damaged. Solution: a 400 watt power resistor that the controller can switch in to slow it down.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, i run a small home solar setup and was looking to add one of those little 400w wind turbines, just as a lark. Turns out that an important part of a wind system is having a power sink for when you're using less electricity than you're producing, because otherwise the turbine overspins and the bearings get damaged. Solution: a 400 watt power resistor that the controller can switch in to slow it down.

think of all the bit coins you could create with a 400 watt mining rig instead

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wow fractions of a rainforest!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Elman posted:

Well they would not literally pay you money. The maximum you can achieve is an electricity bill of 0€. All companies in Finland will add or deduct the price of consumed electricity, so it was very possible to “reset” your month’s electricity bill yesterday.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

What about using the power for chatgpt

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

*syncopated heavy guitar riff*

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

lol good, outsource it all to incredibly expensive, fragile totems of neoliberalism

well, ai is just all about whitewashing monstrous decisions the powerful make so they can have even less direct a connection to them

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thing of note: most households (about 90% I think) in Finland don't pay market price for electricity, they have fixed-price contracts. Mostly completely insufferable people who will not shut the gently caress up about the price of electricity have market-price contracts.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Lyesh posted:

well, ai is just all about whitewashing monstrous decisions the powerful make so they can have even less direct a connection to them

which sounds scary and bad until hamas comes flying over the horizon in modified lawnmowers and wipes out billions of dollars of terminator tech in a single morning

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lyesh posted:

i cant believe lib national politics is just an a scaled up version of your average office politics

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ihmemies posted:

Some dickwad company claimed they can provide roughly 6000MW of electricity production today in Finland..

Production the company definitely can't provide out of thin air. Probably an error in their AI algorithms or something. Anyways, as the result, electricity price in the "electricity exchange" is -500€/MWh for around 10 hours today.

That means, for every 1kWh you use, you earn 50 cents + tax (62 cents total) minus electricity transmission fees. So the incentive is to use as much electricity as possible, since you get paid for using it.

Usage spiked at 3PM and people are already warming ovens, saunas, hot water reservoirs, pools etc. since the earnings incentivize to use electricity as much as possible. A grand system we have here.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/trader-error-causes-huge-plunge-in-finnish-power-prices-1.2002604

BonHair posted:

drat, slam that poo poo directly into batteries or thermal storage and then when the price spikes bleed it back out into the grid, get em coming and going

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

drat, slam that poo poo directly into batteries or thermal storage and then when the price spikes bleed it back out into the grid, get em coming and going

Now go a few more steps and you arrive at the smart grid where Teslas and server farms function as temporary storage. Just slap some AI in it and I'm sure it'll all work out

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
here we have a net metering system you can sign up for and if you produce more than you use you do get actual money, except the price regime is absolutely designed to completely gently caress you and make it borderline impossible to pay less over time than you would if you just accept fate and agree to never produce back into the grid, unless you were some sort of weird small or midrange actual energy producer of some kind, in which case I don't think you'd be using this process anyway.

The only real exception I can think of would be if you had some sort of substantial picohydroelectric system that you also used as pumped energy storage and you were able to figure out a way game the system pretty precisely. Last time i looked into it it was pretty finely divided into different brackets and stuff, not just cost of watt-hours based on the amount used/sold, but the time of day. This would almost certainly not be legally within code to set up.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, but what I want to know is can we give the a gun or a knife and speed them up? Maybe have them painted green? And then just air drop a million of them in Ukraine or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNfRgZMWyCI

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

here we have a net metering system you can sign up for and if you produce more than you use you do get actual money, except the price regime is absolutely designed to completely gently caress you and make it borderline impossible to pay less over time than you would if you just accept fate and agree to never produce back into the grid, unless you were some sort of weird small or midrange actual energy producer of some kind, in which case I don't think you'd be using this process anyway.

The only real exception I can think of would be if you had some sort of substantial picohydroelectric system that you also used as pumped energy storage and you were able to figure out a way game the system pretty precisely. Last time i looked into it it was pretty finely divided into different brackets and stuff, not just cost of watt-hours based on the amount used/sold, but the time of day. This would almost certainly not be legally within code to set up.

The shipyard saves a bit of money with electricity production because when the big-rear end boom cranes lower something, they're generators.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
This actually makes a ton of sense & it's probably what it would be for

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

most/many heavy industrial systems are being basically “hybridized” in that way.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The weird thing is if you have enough capacity to mostly handle your own residential use you hosed yourself because it's illegal not to be tied to the grid and this means your either need to have it set up as net metered and get hosed on cost or gently caress you you're giving them free electricity if the dial runs backwards enough

Some dude was so pissed about this he decided to just fully cut all the way off of electric and they sent the cops out to tag his property as unlivable

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

The weird thing is if you have enough capacity to mostly handle your own residential use you hosed yourself because it's illegal not to be tied to the grid and this means your either need to have it set up as net metered and get hosed on cost or gently caress you you're giving them free electricity if the dial runs backwards enough

Some dude was so pissed about this he decided to just fully cut all the way off of electric and they sent the cops out to tag his property as unlivable

no Amish where you live? Here they buy houses in cash and immediately rip out the wiring to sell for scrap.

Also that dude should have Kept His loving Mouth Shut*

*Some day I will write a book or story or something about what happens when you actually "live off grid" and "Keep Your loving Mouth Shut" in modern society. Spoiler alert: it can be socially and psychologically damaging lol

apatite has issued a correction as of 20:13 on Nov 27, 2023

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
yeah idk if this is indicative of america being a third world country but there's large swathes of people who live with no electricity (intentionally)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

that doesn't sound very freedom™︎

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

In Finland electricity is not mandatory. You don’t need to be connected to grid, and you can disconnect from grid any time. So situation is not luckily dire everywhere!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Similar thing as water. they sell by bracketed amounts, not gallons, unless you also have your sewer metered. i think you gotta pay to have that retrofitted which is not cheap. They also got sued for some situation iirc. Because it's technically a city you technically must be connected.

You're not allowed to collect rainwater either, corrupt as gently caress. Hypothetically this is to prevent people from drinking untreated water when I have only ever known people to water plants with it. I think you can get a permit? Dunno been a while since I had to deal with any off it tbh

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Similar thing as water. they sell by bracketed amounts, not gallons, unless you also have your sewer metered. i think you gotta pay to have that retrofitted which is not cheap. They also got sued for some situation iirc. Because it's technically a city you technically must be connected.

You're not allowed to collect rainwater either, corrupt as gently caress. Hypothetically this is to prevent people from drinking untreated water when I have only ever known people to water plants with it. I think you can get a permit? Dunno been a while since I had to deal with any off it tbh
Good thing the government is here to tell us that actually if you do things like collect water, grow certain plants or try to fix something you own this is a crime, a bad thing

Edit: yes that is probably the same as a Libertarian position but at least I know the same capital they worship is causing these things to be illegal

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 12:16 on Nov 28, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if it was honest i'd be fine with it, right? Like if it was "you used 123.45 gallons of water and have to pay xyz bucks for it, here's the chart that shows how it's treated and what the contaminant levels are here's what the epa permissible levels are on the same chart" yeah ok. Birds poo poo on roofs, storing rainwater in some gross cistern or getting water from some hell-polluted aquifer -- yeah i could see how some insanely hosed up public health situation could happen if people drank that water, on its face it adds up.

i don't think that's only what it is ngl. Clearly the meters they make you use allow them to monitor more precisely than by these broad binning brackets or whatever the gently caress it's termed, i absolutely have heard people talk about getting into situations where they used enough to get to the next bracket up and get hit with the bigger bill. In order for them to give you that pricing they also want to monitor your poo poo. Presumably to be sure you're not flushing your piss with free rainwater? Who knows?

full disclosure maybe it's all a myth i don't own anymore, but honestly it seems extremely plausible.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I remember in the biosphere thread a few years back someone mentioned that they had a friend who built a planter that was fed water directly from their roof gutter. They said all the fruit and veggies that came from it tasted like roofing tar

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

God Hole posted:

I remember in the biosphere thread a few years back someone mentioned that they had a friend who built a planter that was fed water directly from their roof gutter. They said all the fruit and veggies that came from it tasted like roofing tar

I've signed up for a community project where these guys come around and install these kinda rainfed planters for free. This is useful information, here especially cause I have some asbestos in my roof tiles...

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've signed up for a community project where these guys come around and install these kinda rainfed planters for free. This is useful information, here especially cause I have some asbestos in my roof tiles...

rainwater off your roof is safe for plants unless you have molested your roof tiles in some fashion

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've only heard of rainwater collection bans in states along the Colorado River watershed and it's because that water is famously overprovisioned. A quick Google shows that with a few exceptions here and there that this is still the case, with Colorado and Nevada being most restrictive.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

if it was honest i'd be fine with it, right? Like if it was "you used 123.45 gallons of water and have to pay xyz bucks for it, here's the chart that shows how it's treated and what the contaminant levels are here's what the epa permissible levels are on the same chart" yeah ok. Birds poo poo on roofs, storing rainwater in some gross cistern or getting water from some hell-polluted aquifer -- yeah i could see how some insanely hosed up public health situation could happen if people drank that water, on its face it adds up.

more importantly it's a tragedy of the commons problem -- the states with the strictest limitations on collecting rainwater are the ones that depend the most on rivers and groundwater, and if enough people diverted enough rain away into cisterns and tanks, aquifer levels dip and wells stop working, and rivers get shallow and hydro generation suffers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Chairman posted:

more importantly it's a tragedy of the commons problem -- the states with the strictest limitations on collecting rainwater are the ones that depend the most on rivers and groundwater, and if enough people diverted enough rain away into cisterns and tanks, aquifer levels dip and wells stop working, and rivers get shallow and hydro generation suffers

Colorado is (afaik) unique in that it has a special court system that deals exclusively with water rights. They’re a big deal and yeah usually people whining about rainwater collection are ignoring the fact that the people actually getting in trouble are usually filling whole rear end ponds

But also throughout the western US like you said all the water rights are horrendously over allocated and because of the way the rights work the senior users generally have no incentive to reduce or sometimes even disincentive to reduce because your allocation can drop if you stop using your full allotment

Water is a big deal