Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

flashman posted:

Apple are scam artists, they want 900 dollars to replace my phone that's like six months old, that stopped charging overnight on a software update. Honestly what a poo poo company

Shouldn’t that be covered by Apple if it’s less than a year old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

This is what I expected as the result. It's annoying enough that there is a software related charging issue.

They are trying to charge for a screen replacement for a spal, and refuse to fix the issue I have with the phone without me paying for this first.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

flashman posted:

This is what I expected as the result. It's annoying enough that there is a software related charging issue.

They are trying to charge for a screen replacement for a spal, and refuse to fix the issue I have with the phone without me paying for this first.

Is your phone damaged as well or not physically damaged?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

My screen has a spal in it in the top right corner. They will not fix the charging issue from os 17 without me buying a new screen from them

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If your screen is broken, that seems correct. Maybe charging issues were caused by screen damage?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

flashman posted:

Apple are scam artists, they want 900 dollars to replace my phone that's like six months old, that stopped charging overnight on a software update. Honestly what a poo poo company

When they told you to take it to the fruit stand, they did not mean an actual fruit stand

I guess there has to be bad customer service experiences at Apple, but it’s still weird when people claim them

e: oh i see, lol, not quite the whole story up front

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah the small spal on the other end of the phone just happened to trigger charging issues coincidentally with a software update lol.

It has nothing to do with one another, the phone worked fine and immediately after update it will only charge when off, a complaint shared by many others.

Junk on many fronts tbh

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sorry, what’s a spal?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

When a rock hits your windshield little circle

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Why was your phone driving down the highway

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

That's the risks of having a gravel drive way. It's also unrelated to their lovely software update preventing me from charging my phone normally.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How does a screen replacement cost 900 dollars though.

Really it just sounds like you got a lovely customer service rep and should go in all hot and bothered and demand satisfaction.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Did you go to some money laundering 3rd party place or something?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Spalling is when chips or flakes come off of something from an impact. Never heard of a spal.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

This is what the lady on the phone told me it would cost for an iPhone 14 pro max screen replacement. This is other country money so probably 700?

I do not want a new screen I want iOS 16 or at least one that let's me charge my phone once again by plugging it in. Barring that I want a new freaking phone but they are not very cooperative

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

flashman posted:

This is what the lady on the phone told me it would cost for an iPhone 14 pro max screen replacement. This is other country money so probably 700?

I do not want a new screen I want iOS 16 or at least one that let's me charge my phone once again by plugging it in. Barring that I want a new freaking phone but they are not very cooperative

So why did frame it as your phone just stopped charging and they wanted 900 to fix it and leave out the crucial bit of info that the money was to include a screen repair?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Because that's what happened, I do not want the screen repaired but they will not fix my phone unless I pay them 900 dollars to repair the screen. It is an insane waste of money to pay for that.

I assume they will say the software issue for charging is unrepairable once I pay the 900 dollars and give me a different phone, why I need to pay them for a screen repair in this instance I have no idea.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Geez Louise homie take it to a third party repair place

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

A 14PM screen should cost $379. Either something is up with this story, or you got someone who gave you bad info.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Can you install the 17.2 beta? as for older versions of iOS, I'm not sure which ones are still digitally signed that could manually install.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

A 14PM screen should cost $379. Either something is up with this story, or you got someone who gave you bad info.

Yep, per https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/screen-replacement

Also, friendly reminder AppleCare+ is well worth it if you’re the type of person to get a spel or whatever.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

flashman posted:

Because that's what happened, I do not want the screen repaired but they will not fix my phone unless I pay them 900 dollars to repair the screen. It is an insane waste of money to pay for that.

I assume they will say the software issue for charging is unrepairable once I pay the 900 dollars and give me a different phone, why I need to pay them for a screen repair in this instance I have no idea.

As soon as your phone is damaged all warranty is null and void, this is the same not just for phones but all electronics.

There’s no way to ever prove that damage didn’t lead to an issue.

Also, I donno where the hell you’re going that they’re saying $900.

Soul Glo posted:

Why was your phone driving down the highway

Also also lol.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

He did say it was "other country money" so I'm assuming he is outside of the US.

He's also very convinced it's a software thing so maybe try restoring it first?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I am 100 percent sure that it's the update causing the issues, it was immediate and obvious. I will try and install the beta and see if this solves the issue.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

So just to make sure we’re on the same page: your reaction to “software update broke my phone” is to update to a software version that’s gone through less testing than the one you’re currently on?

If you live in a country where Apple officially operates, that 700 local currency number seems practically impossible.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Yeah, their repair costs are famously not cheap especially if you don't have AppleCare+ but in no country where they have Apple Stores is it nearly $900 USD after conversion??

Please write your story by all means OP, but at least make it believable

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

flashman posted:

Sounds like your phone is out of date, I’d restore and update

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

flashman posted:

I am 100 percent sure that it's the update causing the issues, it was immediate and obvious. I will try and install the beta and see if this solves the issue.

You 100% have a hardware issue if you can’t charge period. Even if your upper corner is cracked, the impact could have jarred a component or solder point or cable connector lose down below.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You 100% have a hardware issue if you can’t charge period. Even if your upper corner is cracked, the impact could have jarred a component or solder point or cable connector lose down below.

He said he could charge but only while powered off

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Apples policy on physical damage is as old as the iPhone itself and shouldn’t be surprising to anyone. It doesn’t matter if the issue is supposedly unrelated.

FCKGW posted:

He's also very convinced it's a software thing so maybe try restoring it first?

Yes, this is the first step.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 25, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

He said he could charge but only while powered off

Phones turn on when plugged in don’t they?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

lol yep

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Phone charges when I plug it in and then turn it off, or use wireless charging.

I have been using the phone for months, and it literally stopped charging when the update applied. Everyone's owned smart phones for years it's insane that you think someone couldn't see this occur and it's secretly hardware broke lol.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Macichne Leainig posted:

Yeah, their repair costs are famously not cheap especially if you don't have AppleCare+ but in no country where they have Apple Stores is it nearly $900 USD after conversion??

Please write your story by all means OP, but at least make it believable

900 Cad which is ~650 usd? I donno dude it's what the lady on the phone told me, a 1400 dollar hold on cc to get a loaner and 900 to fix the screen.

I am sitting here looking at a turned off phone that's plugged in, and will be fully charged when I turn it on, so no they don't.

kri kri posted:

Sounds like your phone is out of date, I’d restore and update

Like do a factory reset and download the updates again, or use the iTunes on computer to do it?

Edit: I will follow the instructions here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252 when I get to a computer with iTunes, thanks man

flashman fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 25, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So if I don't play phone games, can barely tell the difference between 60 and 120 fps on my computer monitor, and take lovely photos regardless of my phone's technology there is basically no difference between the 15 base and upgraded models right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

flashman posted:

Phone charges when I plug it in and then turn it off, or use wireless charging.

I have been using the phone for months, and it literally stopped charging when the update applied. Everyone's owned smart phones for years it's insane that you think someone couldn't see this occur and it's secretly hardware broke lol.

It’s pretty straight forward, if the phone is damaged then nothing is covered. Doesn’t matter whether they’re related or not.

FuzzySlippers posted:

So if I don't play phone games, can barely tell the difference between 60 and 120 fps on my computer monitor, and take lovely photos regardless of my phone's technology there is basically no difference between the 15 base and upgraded models right?

It’ll still take better lovely photos. But yeah, how I like to phrase it is the 15 Pro is $200 more. Is $200 worth the faster refresh rate and better camera for you specifically ? Only you can answer that.

Personally, the refresh rate was surprisingly noticeable and also nice. That said, if you never use it, you also won’t miss it.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I never notice 120 fps on bigger displays but it’s incredibly good on a phone-sized display. Another small improvement with the pro phones is 33% more RAM over the non-pro variants, so apps and browser tabs stay in memory longer.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Tiny Timbs posted:

Spalling is when chips or flakes come off of something from an impact. Never heard of a spal.

That's because the word is spall, not spal. I'm not sure why OP continued to misspell a word he knew was misspelled.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

flashman posted:

900 Cad which is ~650 usd? I donno dude it's what the lady on the phone told me, a 1400 dollar hold on cc to get a loaner and 900 to fix the screen.

I am sitting here looking at a turned off phone that's plugged in, and will be fully charged when I turn it on, so no they don't.

Like do a factory reset and download the updates again, or use the iTunes on computer to do it?

Edit: I will follow the instructions here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252 when I get to a computer with iTunes, thanks man

Yep, I use a Mac though so I use configurator if I’m wiping something since you can very easily restore and update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think another factor is that Apple can't just put a broken screen back on if they do pop it open to fix any internals, and they're certainly not giving you a free new screen so...