Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

RedneckwithGuns posted:

New MGMT album out 2-23-24, Loss of Life

First single - Mother Nature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDzIO5ahGE8

More like Mom + Pop Nature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I saw The Dear Hunter (along with Delta Sleep and All Get Out) at Irving Plaza in NYC

drat glad to have finally heard them live

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

kalel posted:

I saw The Dear Hunter (along with Delta Sleep and All Get Out) at Irving Plaza in NYC

drat glad to have finally heard them live

What was their setlist? I saw them last year where they did all of Antimai and then some greatest hits, and i'm seeing them again tomorrow so i want to know what to expect this time around.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

The Jumpoff posted:

What was their setlist? I saw them last year where they did all of Antimai and then some greatest hits, and i'm seeing them again tomorrow so i want to know what to expect this time around.

I wasn't there, but setlist.fm is a good resource for this.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-dear-hunter/2023/irving-plaza-new-york-ny-1ba049e4.html

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The Jumpoff posted:

I'd say 3/5 migrant returned and 2/5 random stuff. they did 3 tracks off act 4 (I can die happy having seen bitter suite 4-6 live), something from color spectrum, and a track off their upcoming record. was also hoping for something off antimai or act 5 but alas

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

The Magnetic Fields touring Europe right now and it's one week until the Helsinki gig. Been going through the back catalogue and I'm just so loving stoked for this poo poo. Didn't think Stephen Merritt would even come to tour here anymore and was very happily surprised by the gig announcement during summer.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/computer_gay/status/1723743725078118778?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Matt Healy is someone’s mom?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lunsku posted:

The Magnetic Fields touring Europe right now and it's one week until the Helsinki gig. Been going through the back catalogue and I'm just so loving stoked for this poo poo. Didn't think Stephen Merritt would even come to tour here anymore and was very happily surprised by the gig announcement during summer.

:hellyeah: The Magnetic Fields. My avatar text is a lyric from them.

I wish they would release a live album. The cello-forward live versions take songs like The Flowers She Sent and Smoke and Mirrors to the next level

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Absolutely disgusting. Who would ever admit to watching SNL.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Yard has made it's way into my regular rotation, good stuff, thanks RedneckwithGuns! And another thanks to Rageaholic for making me aware of American Analog Set's existence, not sure how I managed to miss them up until now. Been listening to their latest quite a bit.

As for a contribution of my own, https://mangelrecords.bandcamp.com/album/s-t-4

Don't think it's on youtube or spotify yet.

Also enjoying Mellie,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9ngEHwYCbs

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The new bombay bicycle club album is really good.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Karl Tremblay, lead singer of Quebec band Les Cowboys Fringants, dies at 47

Probably not all that well known in English circles but, this is very sad news. Here's a decent playlist of some of their work.

edit: Short clip of their appearance at the FEQ this summer

edit 2: For context I guess, it was announced yesterday he will be receiving a state funeral, minus the religious component.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 24, 2023

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Don't remember if I already posted this but the full album's out now and it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nMPl9_72u0

Pitchfork gave it a positive 7.7 ensuring no-one will listen to it since it's not best new music.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I can't stop listneing to Nation of Language, wow what an album

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Did the Yeah Yeah Yeahs ever make an album as approachable as It's Blitz! ?

I know they never made an album as popular. And I don't think they made one as critically celebrated.

But is there anything else they made that you can just find, well, good, right from the start?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

I know they never made an album as popular. And I don't think they made one as critically celebrated.

But is there anything else they made that you can just find, well, good, right from the start?

That’s their best album imo

But their first album is a stone cold classic

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

bows1 posted:

Hell yeah

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

bows1 posted:

Saw them last Saturday and they were incredible. It was a show that as a millennial I was expecting to feel old at but 90% of the crowd was gen x/boomers lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Big City Drinkin posted:

Saw them last Saturday and they were incredible. It was a show that as a millennial I was expecting to feel old at but 90% of the crowd was gen x/boomers lol

Many of their tracks are basically disco and I'm extremely here for it as a millenial.

I missed out on their LA show and I'm super bummed about that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bright Bart posted:

I thought their newest one was really impressive and I’m not a huge fan

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

The self-titled EP is my favorite YYYs release.

Generally, I'm of the opinion that the YYYs are really best appreciated as a singles band. They made some great singles, but their albums always had a few too many clunkers for me to really put any of their albums up as classics.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

BigFactory posted:

I thought their newest one was really impressive and I’m not a huge fan

Yeah I was really surprised how good it was. Definitely worth checking out.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Date With the Night still gets me amped up. Those first two albums are pretty much great cover to cover but its probably been a decade since I gave them a spin.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Not sure if this is the right thread but I didn’t see another obvious one.

Last night I saw Parcels and Jungle back to back at a festival in Mexico City and godamn what an absolute banger pairing that was!

I’d seen Parcels once previously and they were the reason we made the trip, but somehow I’d never heard of Jungle before. Glad I caught them there because it looks like they’ve not got any more North American tour dates through next year. Definitely on my radar going forward, would love to see them in a smaller venue with a longer set.

The crowds were great, fantastic vibes for both and we had plenty of room to dance despite being surprisingly close at a massive festival main stage.

The love between the city and Parcels was palpable, they emphasized that this was the only festival they’d play all year, how they’d been in town a month already, and would definitely be returning. Those Aussie boys can really groove.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

bawfuls posted:

Last night I saw Parcels and Jungle back to back at a festival in Mexico City and godamn what an absolute banger pairing that was!

I’d seen Parcels once previously and they were the reason we made the trip, but somehow I’d never heard of Jungle before. Glad I caught them there because it looks like they’ve not got any more North American tour dates through next year. Definitely on my radar going forward, would love to see them in a smaller venue with a longer set.

Jungle had a moment this summer after their music videos started going viral on instagram and tiktok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3lX2p_Uy9I

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
yall are crazy, Fever To Tell is the best YYYs album

I GOT A DATE WITH THE NIIIIIEEEEGHT

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSTBwWa0FcQ

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bawfuls posted:

The crowds were great, fantastic vibes for both and we had plenty of room to dance despite being surprisingly close at a massive festival main stage.

The love between the city and Parcels was palpable, they emphasized that this was the only festival they’d play all year, how they’d been in town a month already, and would definitely be returning. Those Aussie boys can really groove.

ughhhhh I would love to see Parcels. So jelly

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

BonoMan posted:

ughhhhh I would love to see Parcels. So jelly
The bad news is they’re playing only one headlining show in the US next year.

The good news is it’s at Red Rocks.

The bad news is it sold out in 3 days.

They might play more festivals next year though :shrug:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

High Vis fucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DG3Tuvu6E0

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Oh my god, that Reverend Kristin Micheal Hayter “SAVED!” album. I thought her previous album (“Sinner Get Ready, from her other name”) was great, but to me this is a perfect album.

I love the direction of the album, stripping it back to her incredible vocals and a prepared piano filled with god knows what (antique silverware and nails? Lacquered bones?), all recorded on a 4-track so haunted that I may have a curse now.

The final song on the album is one of the… Well, I want to talk about it but I really don’t want to spoil anything. Just listen to it!!

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 25, 2023

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Album reminded me of Marble Hornets the record. But also that’s from Lingua Ignota who had me apologizing to vegetables while cooking dinner listening to Caligula.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

first track didn't endear itself to me but I kept going and ended up picking this up. I'd like to thank you, Automata, for making me poorer. :tipshat:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I don't spend much time listening to Arcade Fire. Not because I dislike them. But whenever they come on I realize I could be listening to The Suburbs. And then after listening to the solid openers, I realize I can skip to the magic outro run of We Used to Wait/Sprawl/The Suburbs Continued.

I do spend time listening to Apologies to the Queen Mary because it is ace.

e: boygenius tax. I like Graceland Too but cannot stand hearing about how it's written as a love song to one of the Phoebe's bandmates. She has had to, on several occasions, remind people that it's a song about doing drugs. In general and on a specific occasion. It's a reverse Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds situation.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 25, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bright Bart posted:

I don't spend much time listening to Arcade Fire. Not because I dislike them. But whenever they come on I realize I could be listening to The Suburbs. And then after listening to the solid openers, I realize I can skip to the magic outro run of We Used to Wait/Sprawl/The Suburbs Continued.

I do spend time listening to Apologies to the Queen Mary because it is ace.

e: boygenius tax. I like Graceland Too but cannot stand hearing about how it's written as a love song to one of the Phoebe's bandmates. She has had to, on several occasions, remind people that it's a song about doing drugs. In general and on a specific occasion. It's a reverse Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds situation.

Songs about drugs are cool and the arcade fire is for nerds

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Arcade fire should have called it quits after The Suburbs honestly

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Arcade Fire has about 3 or 4 really good songs per album which isn't a bad track record this long into it to be honest.

Off the field though.... uhhh...

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
will butler should’ve died in an arcade fire after funeral imo

(it’s okay to wish that he’s a sex pest)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Automata 10 Pack posted:

will butler should’ve died in an arcade fire after funeral imo

(it’s okay to wish that he’s a sex pest)

I'm assuming you mean win?