Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Muscle Tracer posted:

General callout to every time a game lets you answer a question "yes" or "no," but if you say "no" you just get asked again, pretty please, ad infinitum.

Bonus callout to every time a game gives you two dialogue options: "Yes" and "Sure!".
But thou must!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Make a game where you’re a farmer approached to save the world but if you say no you just play stardew valley until the world ends.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd like to see a game where the protagonist has to figure out what the great evil loving up the world is (like I saw this Harvest Moon-style thing that has like an evil 5th season or something) and finds out the world's just like that. Like the 5th season isn't caused by a malevolent god that needs fighting, it's just that the world does that normally.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Muscle Tracer posted:

General callout to every time a game lets you answer a question "yes" or "no," but if you say "no" you just get asked again, pretty please, ad infinitum.

Bonus callout to every time a game gives you two dialogue options: "Yes" and "Sure!".

The old BBC Micro "educational" game "Granny's Garden" did this. The first couple of prompts in the game are:

"Can you see the cave?" and "Do you want to go into the cave?". Replying "no" results in "yes you can" and "yes you do", presumably because as the developer knew they were writing a game for children they'd better assume they'd be obstinate fuckers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RandolphCarter posted:

Make a game where you’re a farmer approached to save the world but if you say no you just play stardew valley until the world ends.
That's just my wife in any game with an optional fishing or farming mechanic.

Anyway: https://youtu.be/G87p148EOjo

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You spend 40 hours fishing in a combat RPG and the dragon shows up to see where you are and why you aren't fighting it, and at the end of the day the hero, dragon and primary villain are just fishing together. :3:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd like to see a game where the protagonist has to figure out what the great evil loving up the world is (like I saw this Harvest Moon-style thing that has like an evil 5th season or something) and finds out the world's just like that. Like the 5th season isn't caused by a malevolent god that needs fighting, it's just that the world does that normally.

That makes this ad very very weird: https://youtu.be/wQi5EMxe3No?si=pbB1pmK1ZBinJ-FM

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OK, now I want a game where you have to defeat the abstract concept of hockey.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Attack and Dethrone Gretzky

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

well, this thread doesn't say it's solely devoted to video games so https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/141424/Nobilis-the-Game-of-Sovereign-Powers-2002-Edition

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Barudak posted:

Attack and Dethrone Gretzky
Grezky Gaiden: You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take, Attack and Dethrone Gretzky

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche posted:

I installed that pretty much from the start. Fallout 4 was a pretty dang good game

Fallout 4 was an ok game but a pretty poo poo RPG/fallout

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Croccers posted:

Grezky Gaiden: You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take, Attack and Dethrone Gretzky

You miss 100% of the shots at the king you don't take and you'd best not miss so shoot every king :guillotine:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BioEnchanted posted:

Thats just Outer Wilds

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
God of War 3: Let's operate the Ancient Greek music game using the Ancient Greek Playstation buttons!

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Just getting around to Immortals: Fenyx Rising, and while overall it's a fun, light-hearted take on the Ubisoft open world formula, boy does it have some of the shortcomings of that formula. The worst is thinking I can knock out a puzzle real quick on the way to somewhere else, only to find out that, to unlock the pieces to the puzzle, I have to do another puzzle. In a game with a lot to do around the world, spending bits of extra time all over the place adds up.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mamkute posted:

God of War 3: Let's operate the Ancient Greek music game using the Ancient Greek Playstation buttons!

They actually do something cute with that. Yeah, it's obviously the Playstation buttons, but if you look close they draw them to resemble the Greek letters pi, delta, omicron and chi.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

You spend 40 hours fishing in a combat RPG and the dragon shows up to see where you are and why you aren't fighting it, and at the end of the day the hero, dragon and primary villain are just fishing together. :3:

Don't mind me just mixing together a couple of aesthetics together in this big pot labeled "cute pixel fishing game" nothing habit-forming or addictive could possibly happen

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Darkest Dungeon has provided some of the most thrilling gameplay I've had in ages and really satisfying victories after devastating defeats, genuine leaping up in celebration when finishing off a tough boss. I'm calling it now, though. You need to beat four quests in the titular Darkest Dungeon. Fine, but win or lose, all characters you picked for that mission will refuse to ever go back. So you have to grind up new ones, which is no longer any kind of challenge since the experience, money and trinkets makes any dungeon other than the Darkest Dungeon very easy. Oh well, I had fun, I guess.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Picked up Cyberpunk on a whim and the whole game feels like a studio western set. They may be telling a compelling story (which remains to be seen) but a lot of the time i attempt to engage with something i find its a half implemented facade.

I'm barely in it though so maybe it gets better.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Walton Simons posted:

Darkest Dungeon has provided some of the most thrilling gameplay I've had in ages and really satisfying victories after devastating defeats, genuine leaping up in celebration when finishing off a tough boss. I'm calling it now, though. You need to beat four quests in the titular Darkest Dungeon. Fine, but win or lose, all characters you picked for that mission will refuse to ever go back. So you have to grind up new ones, which is no longer any kind of challenge since the experience, money and trinkets makes any dungeon other than the Darkest Dungeon very easy. Oh well, I had fun, I guess.

yeah i played the poo poo out of darkest dungeon but never actually beat it, once i realised this was the case

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Pancho Jueves posted:

Just getting around to Immortals: Fenyx Rising, and while overall it's a fun, light-hearted take on the Ubisoft open world formula, boy does it have some of the shortcomings of that formula. The worst is thinking I can knock out a puzzle real quick on the way to somewhere else, only to find out that, to unlock the pieces to the puzzle, I have to do another puzzle. In a game with a lot to do around the world, spending bits of extra time all over the place adds up.

I mostly enjoyed the game. I liked the main character and some of the characters had good dialogue and chemistry but some of the others were rough. I definitely lost my interest in puzzles and collectibles long before the game ran out of them.

I actually thought some of the puzzles and challenges were fun, I just wish there had been much less of them so that it felt fun to complete them all instead of them becoming less enjoyable before I finally gave up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

yeah i played the poo poo out of darkest dungeon but never actually beat it, once i realised this was the case

Radiant mode does a lot to clean up the grindiness, and it gets rid of that restriction! ...And replaces it with a severe stress penalty that means you're almost certainly better off not reusing characters anyway.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Walton Simons posted:

There's an accessibility setting to remove that limitation I believe, but honestly if you got there you can say you've won the game, congrats.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’ve been playing some player created maps for Starship Troopers: Terran Command and so many of the maps are just swarms upon swarms of the basic combat form, which in theory is awesome.

In practice it chugs the game a bunch, and it causes the game to sometimes not register when you’re clicking on a unit, which can sink a run if it’s bad enough.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Walton Simons posted:

Every time I reinstall that game because it's really fun and some of the mods for it are really cool, I basically play up to the final few missions then stop because of this poo poo, and also the final boss sucks. IIRC it has an attack that just kills two of your characters or some poo poo. Nothing you can do about it, they die. I don't like it very much. Rest of the game's cool though.

ZeusCannon posted:

Picked up Cyberpunk on a whim and the whole game feels like a studio western set. They may be telling a compelling story (which remains to be seen) but a lot of the time i attempt to engage with something i find its a half implemented facade.

I'm barely in it though so maybe it gets better.

I got some bad news.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The risk/reward ratio in Darkest Dungeon is hosed, it's really tense and good at first as you're trying to keep newbies alive through the meat grinder as you work your way through the initial areas. But it takes so much repetition to grind guys up that if you lose late game dudes you just resigned yourself to a ton of boring grinding to replace them. It's not challenging or threatening it's just the risk of getting a ton of homework assigned to you. Then there's the aforementioned stuff that forces you to do some re-grinding even if you succeed.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm playing X4 and I'm having some frustrations with the manager system, which is less robust than how you could control ships back in X3. I'm building a station and I want to use the resources that are produced in another station of mine, so I don't have to pay NPC traders. There is a way to set up a ship that'll go out and purchase stuff for the station's build queue, and you can then filter it so it'll only buy from your stations. Problem is that the range for that is based on the manager's skill. A brand new manager will only have 1 or maybe 2 stars, so that range is only within 2 sectors. Any further than 5 sectors and you're poo poo out of luck cause 5 is the highest rank. I can set up a repeat order for a ship to retrieve something from a station and then deliver it, but the thing is that they wont stop doing that once the station gets all it needs, you can overfill a build storage and as far as I'm aware there is no limit to how much can be stored.

Other problems with having an AI determine orders for a station's ships is mining. Say you have a station that needs both ore and silicon, which mineral miners gather. The manager doesn't split the labor between those minerals, they'll focus on one mineral and will only gather that unless you set the storage to only allow a certain amount. Oh but if say you have 5 miners out there and the third one hits the limit, not only will it only fill up to the limit and keep the excess ores in its hold (so it'll collect less of the other mineral), but the 2 remaining ships will just sit around until the station goes below the limit. You can work around this by setting up repeating orders to only mine a certain mineral type, but 2 problems:

1: The ship will remain in your "unassigned ships" list, bloating it if you do this with multiple ships

2: This will only mine around the area you select, not the entire sector. Its possible to mine out all of a resource in an area, requiring you to manually go back to the orders and move the mining area.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Darkest Dungeon needed to be about a third of the length even after the radiant mode changes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

The risk/reward ratio in Darkest Dungeon is hosed, it's really tense and good at first as you're trying to keep newbies alive through the meat grinder as you work your way through the initial areas. But it takes so much repetition to grind guys up that if you lose late game dudes you just resigned yourself to a ton of boring grinding to replace them. It's not challenging or threatening it's just the risk of getting a ton of homework assigned to you. Then there's the aforementioned stuff that forces you to do some re-grinding even if you succeed.

Yeah, it's just way too long for its own good. While the gameplay is decent enough in the beginning, it really doesn't have enough meat on its bones to sustain the game for nearly as long as the game seemingly wants to be. I still remember when I tried to give it a go and eventually came up on the point where it felt like I'd pretty much seen and done all the game had to offer and that it would be a good moment to head into the endgame.

Except then I talked to the guy in the village who tracks your progress and saw that I'd only gotten through perhaps 30% of the content. Even if a whole bunch of that is optional, who in the world is gonna play all that?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Arivia posted:

related bitch: why do farming games need those action rpg caves. i just want to farm, i don't want to have to do the caves bit. just let me do the gathering and farming parts please.

It's a contrast. I specifically seek out RPG/Farming hybrid sims; it gives you more choice of activity (farm vs mine vs go fight); farm money is used for equipment and equipment is used to get stuff to upgrade farm tools with. Whenver I get bored of the caves I make my farm better, and vice-versa.
Farming/RPG hybrids also tend to have more crafting and magic systems, which gives me my cozy fantasy of escaping climate change by getting isekai'd and being a self sufficient little weirdo doing magic and getting strong.

Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town is pure farming, with a mine (cave) but no enemies. I don't recall if Pioneers of Olive Town had any enemies in the mine.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lunar Suite posted:

It's a contrast. I specifically seek out RPG/Farming hybrid sims; it gives you more choice of activity (farm vs mine vs go fight); farm money is used for equipment and equipment is used to get stuff to upgrade farm tools with. Whenver I get bored of the caves I make my farm better, and vice-versa.
Farming/RPG hybrids also tend to have more crafting and magic systems, which gives me my cozy fantasy of escaping climate change by getting isekai'd and being a self sufficient little weirdo doing magic and getting strong.

Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town is pure farming, with a mine (cave) but no enemies. I don't recall if Pioneers of Olive Town had any enemies in the mine.

I think the origin of this as a distinct divide is probably Rune Factory, in 2006, which literally started as 'Harvest Moon but there's some combat'.

...which I just found out came out one month after Persona 3, which basically found the same formula from the other direction. Neat!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The last time I played a farm Sim (rune factory 4) I started cancelling all the in-game holidays and festivals because they were cutting into my precious farming time

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Moonstone Island keeps making me do stuff like "explore beautiful sky archipelagos" and "spelunk ancient temples/ruins" or "find, tame, and train 60 different pokemon through a lite deckbuilder battle system" instead of farming stonefruit and catching fish :mad:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

This one set of spirits in Ghostwire Tokyo is driving me insane - near the Hoarder's House there is a single set of spirits that are on the main road but about 6 feet underground, visible through the pavement. How the hell do I get to those? So weirdly placed and there isn't much of an underground section, unless that set of spirits is actually in that big underground cavern that's off the subway in chapter 2 and has erroneously been placed on the overworld?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The Last Spell is probably my favorite non-linear-storyline game. The replayability and roguelike elements mesh phenomenally well, the graphics are rad and the music fuckin rips hard.

The short description is that it's a hero defense/town defense FF-tactics-like. One of the great aspects is when you build a hero right, they become awesome blenders that mulch the hordes that show up (and in harder towns, you *need* a few heroes who can consistently blend 10+ mobs per turn).

The only problem I have is the combat barks the heroes say. On each kill, there is a chance one of your heroes (up to 6) will say something; you know what it's like. Well, that means there might well be 200+ opportunities per night (up to like a dozen per turn) for 1-6 folks to quip one of WAY TOO FEW lines. They're fine lines, don't get me wrong, but holy bones they need to add more lines. Duplicates lines per night are unavoidable; duplicate lines per *attack* are common. I almost just want to email the devs a doc with 300 new barks. Like, the game is so important to me that I'm almost ready to do this completely unprompted just to help improve the game I like.

As a minor side note, the tone of these barks are all over the place. There's no personality/consistency checks, so one guy might say "oh no there are so many! Don't panic!!" Then the next line "I'm an unstoppable god of BLOOD". The game's overall tone is "fighting a nearly-hopeless fight against the end of the world, and we have to be ready to sacrifice our lives to end the threat to humanity"... But there is also a "folks REALLY HATE the mages for ending the world" theme, so the heroes who spend all game defending the mages (fighting alongside them for the same goal) also treat them like poo poo, often out of nowhere since the common barks are so wildly tonally different. (And because the only meaningful interaction with mages is at the end during a victory, where everyone should be celebrating, or at least relieved)

Lastly, each time you beat a town, you unlock a new difficulty/'Apocalypse' level. My problem is that Apocalypse Level 6 is the most interesting/fun one to play, and nobody plays it because it's hard to even unlock.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

The Last Spell is probably my favorite non-linear-storyline game. The replayability and roguelike elements mesh phenomenally well, the graphics are rad and the music fuckin rips hard.

The short description is that it's a hero defense/town defense FF-tactics-like. One of the great aspects is when you build a hero right, they become awesome blenders that mulch the hordes that show up (and in harder towns, you *need* a few heroes who can consistently blend 10+ mobs per turn).

The only problem I have is the combat barks the heroes say. On each kill, there is a chance one of your heroes (up to 6) will say something; you know what it's like. Well, that means there might well be 200+ opportunities per night (up to like a dozen per turn) for 1-6 folks to quip one of WAY TOO FEW lines. They're fine lines, don't get me wrong, but holy bones they need to add more lines. Duplicates lines per night are unavoidable; duplicate lines per *attack* are common.

I think that enemy got THE POINT!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Also putting an in-depth hero portrait editor into a roguelike is just mean

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Evilreaver posted:

Also putting an in-depth hero portrait editor into a roguelike is just mean

:lmao:

Do they at least let you reuse the character you worked on, so they can have a bunch of doomed adventures across multiple timelines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

BG3 spoilers:

I made it to act 3 and now I've got awesome mindflayer powers, specifically, I can fly. As can Karlach and Shadowheart. But not Asterion, because he chickened out, loving coward. This makes navigating across the maps a chore sometimes because while we can just zip and zoom everywhere he has to walk.

Also some minor bugs like I couldn't talk to Jaheira after the big fight at the Moonrise Towers, so I probably missed some rewards and lore stuff.

Still, this game is so loving good, these are minor gripes.