Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I liked half of Halo's single player campaign, the more open levels are fun to stomp around in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

tango alpha delta posted:

I was playing Quake 2 Threewave Capture the flag in 1997 with my Voodoo1 and then later dual Voodoo 2s. Halo came out four years later and offered a very inferior experience.

yeah it sure is inferior chilling on a couch with your bros playing coop halo, giggling and eating chips

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
lmao, Quake and Unreal Tournament are in a completely different league than Halo.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Most of my memories growing up were of friends bringing their PCs over and networking them up, it was still a communal thing. Maybe not as comfortable as a couch, at least for whoever sat their PC on top of the bar.

Photo was taken during the move out so I added some detailed drawings. Red tables were where the PCs usually sat, the bar was overflow. There's a sink underneath and we used to just sit the keyboard over that.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 25, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

tango alpha delta posted:

I was playing Quake 2 Threewave Capture the flag in 1997 with my Voodoo1 and then later dual Voodoo 2s. Halo came out four years later and offered a very inferior experience.

literally :same: w/r/t Quake 2 CTF on Voodoo 1 / dual Voodoo 2s. Quake to Quake 2 to Tribes to Tribes 2 to BF 1942 made Halo look like weak dumb poo poo for babies. I got dragged into coop with my roommate and low-key hated it but I eventually got an S controller and it sorta 'clicked'. The bar to being a good FPS on a console was extraordinarily low before that, competing against things like 3rd person SOCOM :barf:

Halo 2 had some of the best multiplayer maps ever designed, and dual wielding was a fun gimmick, but Halo 2 is a pretty lovely game in retrospect (especially the cut/paste :lol::lmao: single player campaign). Halo 3 was an absolute banger.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Amicia has become immensely unlikeable in Plague Tale Requiem when I liked her character in Innocence. Also, the game feels worse than the first one and a big example of more does not always equal better.

Alien: Isolation puts one of the hardest sections in the game at the beginning and most of the game plays nothing like that section and I always felt it was a dumb thing to do, especially when it is most players first encounter with the alien and it led to a lot of frustration instead of tension.

I didn't play it on release but Alan Wake remastered is a 2-3 hour game that feels stretched to 10 hours of that makes any sense. The game doesn't really get more interesting gameplay wise until the last episode or the last dlc.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

that reminds me I gave up on Alien Isolation because I really hated dealing with the Alien near the start. Maybe I should give it a second chance.

For reference I loved Mr. X and generally like stressful stalker characters, the Alien just felt really arbitrary about where it was/what it was doing and avoiding it was too big a pain even for me.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

Amicia has become immensely unlikeable in Plague Tale Requiem when I liked her character in Innocence. Also, the game feels worse than the first one and a big example of more does not always equal better.

I like it a lot still tbh, I like how Amicia is an absolutely brutal psycho. I like the team you rolled with in number 1 though, with like 5 people in it. Game is seriously hosed up in parts.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It's a really annoying and frustrating part that I usually exploit the game scripting on replays. Don't be afraid to drop the difficulty to get through that part. The AI can be really goofy about it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Physical media needs to be of a certain size, if it exists. These tiny Switch carts, they're so easy to lose!

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

deep dish peat moss posted:

I used to work with a guy whose entire personality was centered around being a "gamer". His fun fact he shared about himself was that he's a bigtime gamer. He loves games. Spends all of his time playing games. He asked everyone what games they played. If you went on break at the same time as him he would talk your ear off about his favorite game.

The only game he played was Clash of Clans.

He sounds cooler than me

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

There are four consoles:
Xbox
Sony
Nintendo
Steam

Tho their interfaces are different for video games there's really only minute differences in controller layout or design. Nintendo made the wiimote, Steam has the mouse and keyboard, and Sony uses symbols instead of letters. But they're all fine consoles.

Steam can do Nintendo games though. Even wiimote stuff.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

Most of my memories growing up were of friends bringing their PCs over and networking them up, it was still a communal thing. Maybe not as comfortable as a couch, at least for whoever sat their PC on top of the bar.

Photo was taken during the move out so I added some detailed drawings. Red tables were where the PCs usually sat, the bar was overflow. There's a sink underneath and we used to just sit the keyboard over that.

That room looks like it has a whole secondary mode upside down with a bench and table, everything all ready to go. Like the joker rollercoaster rooms at six flags.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
The end of Isolation sucked., Having to run back through the entire game as everything blew up felt like it loving took forever. The ending was just a kick in the nuts after all that.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Steam can do Nintendo games though. Even wiimote stuff.

There's lots of cross platform games these days, it's the best thing about how, at least hardware wise, all the consoles are p much the same, just with slightly different grades of chippy things.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

credburn posted:

The XBox 3 is called the XBox 1 :v:

My ex girlfriend made a good argument about the benefit of consoles over PCs: "They just work. I turn it on and I can play."

Getting some things to work over the Steam link, AND it being able to sync with all the controls was sometimes a hassle.

Your ex girlfriend is thinking about the SNES generation. Consoles now have more bullshit to deal with than PCs every time you turn them on. Although tbf Windows is becoming more and more of an ad platform because world is a gently caress.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

console players dont even think about pcs

Obviously untrue *points 2 thread*

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 25, 2023

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

credburn posted:

Physical media needs to be of a certain size, if it exists. These tiny Switch carts, they're so easy to lose!

You need to treat your switch games like the bathroom pass on elementary school. You need to attach it to a block of wood.

Then you can decorate the wood so you know what game it's for.

As a bonus you can now hand all your game sticks from a wall mounted key chain thing and display your collection with bludgeons instead of lining them up on a shelf like a normal.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I played Warzone for awhile some years back and after a few days of dicking around I decided to check out subreddits and poo poo to see what the community was talking about and there was tons, just TONS of bitching about cross-play because of controller aim-assist. But I'm not sure I got killed even once and thought to myself, "that was aim-assist doing the work". I think that's the only cross platform game I've played besides FFXIV, and it felt like everyone was playing a different game than me because I just didn't see the problem.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

galagazombie posted:

As the threads officially designated N64 liker I can tell you with 100% certainty that it’s because Goldeneye sucks rear end.

Well at least y'all didn't poo poo on the actual best N64 game, Perfect Dark

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

People who datamine secrets from video games are total losers. I feel like there are probably people who datamine and post stuff before even playing the game. What a lame rear end thing to do when everyone could find the secrets on their own and have fun figuring them out together.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

People who datamine secrets from video games are total losers. I feel like there are probably people who datamine and post stuff before even playing the game. What a lame rear end thing to do when everyone could find the secrets on their own and have fun figuring them out together.

Sorry, but there is big money in this for certain games so all fun has been ruthlessly extracted

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Caesar Saladin posted:

What about datamining old games?

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=38140.0

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Dataminers are cool because they let us see all the cool stuff that didn’t make it into the final product like unused models and enemy types. It’s fun to be able to see all the workings of the sausage factory.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

"It just works" has been true of PC gaming too ever since the advent of digital distribution ~18 years ago. I can't remember the last time I had to do anything to run a game aside from download it on Steam and click Play

I had to jump through a lot of hoops to run a PC game the other day.

Admittedly, it was a Windows 3.1 game, but it was still a lot of hoops.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
losers who comb through the code of ancient games to find glitches or other easter eggs no one has/would ever stumble upon or notice when it happens are cooler and more talented than I am and I wish I had their skills and tenacity

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yeah I mean what would a game be without easy as poo poo "secrets" for people to feel smart about or insanely difficult secrets for nobody to figure out. They might have to focus on gameplay and we wouldn't want that best get people to look behind every waterfall in hopes something is there.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
this is my review of Sea of Stars.

it's like superstar saga but bad. don't play it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ravus Ursus posted:

You need to treat your switch games like the bathroom pass on elementary school. You need to attach it to a block of wood.

Then you can decorate the wood so you know what game it's for.

As a bonus you can now hand all your game sticks from a wall mounted key chain thing and display your collection with bludgeons instead of lining them up on a shelf like a normal.

I like this, I want to hang my switch carts off of a coat rack

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Datamining is cool after a certain point but along with other modern habits can really suck the winds of discovery out of new things.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Fur20 posted:

this is my review of Sea of Stars.

it's like superstar saga but bad. don't play it

Counterpoint: it's really cool and good.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah I mean what would a game be without easy as poo poo "secrets" for people to feel smart about or insanely difficult secrets for nobody to figure out. They might have to focus on gameplay and we wouldn't want that best get people to look behind every waterfall in hopes something is there.

I like it when things are hidden behind waterfalls, it's always disappointing when there isn't anything there.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

SCheeseman posted:

I like it when things are hidden behind waterfalls, it's always disappointing when there isn't anything there.

hard agree

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Game publishers who want you to set up an account on their service so you cannplay a single player game on your own computer can go gently caress themselves. Doubly so when it was a sixty gig install to find out they wanted you to make this account for their data harvesting.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Random Stranger posted:

Game publishers who want you to set up an account on their service so you cannplay a single player game on your own computer can go gently caress themselves. Doubly so when it was a sixty gig install to find out they wanted you to make this account for their data harvesting.

Want to find out who these game publisher executives are and harvest their data!* See how they like that!

comb their trash for anything edible because I am poor

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

At one point it was clever it's now like finding cereal in the cereal aisle. Worse though because the cereal will be there, while waterfall secrets may or may not be behind any given waterfall let alone have something I want. I'm not sure when the last time was when I played a game with waterfalls.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 26, 2023

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Don't go chasing waterfalls.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
No way! No scrubs!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

They can't get rid of waterfall secrets because you're a jaded nerd in your 30s. There are still 12 year olds out there who feel joy when they find something behind a waterfall in a game, and there always will be.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Haha that's why I refunded rockstar cowboy game, bought it on Steam and then it tried doing another launcher I had to make another account to get in the game I thought I'd just installed. gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
in sekiro a demon rips your guts out and shoves them up his own rear end