Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Can you elaborate? I was wrapping the meat and putting the wrap in the foil tray

If you fully wrap the brisket in foil, it will sog up any bark that has been developed, and give a little more of a pot-roast texture, still great, but in the rare case that I need to finish in the oven (glow rod burns out, run out of wood/pellets) I do my way now.

Sheet tray with the food side completely lined in foil, brisket on there, then a single big sheet, or two smaller sheets to completely encase the brisket. Ideally no foil is actually touching the brisket, but it's not a big deal. This allows it to finish cooking relatively dry, with a little steam, instead of braising inside a full foil wrap.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Has anyone ever made a gravy from the drippings of smoked meat? Smoking turkey for thanksgiving and tempted to have a roast pan under it with onion/cellar/carrots and the neck/giblets but not sure if it will end up too smoky.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Alright so my dad had been a Kickstarter backer for one of the 'arden indoor smoker' and he died so it got shipped to me. So I guess I'll try it out soon and post a video here.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

born on a buy you posted:

Has anyone ever made a gravy from the drippings of smoked meat? Smoking turkey for thanksgiving and tempted to have a roast pan under it with onion/cellar/carrots and the neck/giblets but not sure if it will end up too smoky.

It's the best, making gravy from the drip pan is essential IMO. Huge article, but if you scroll down to step 21 Meathead talks about it here: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/turkey-recipes/ultimate-bbq-turkey-recipe/#pans

In related news, my folks and my brother and his whole family got the Covid this week, so it's a surprise solo Thanksgiving for us. Fortunately, the local grocer had some thawed turkeys for sale, so I picked up a little 9lber to smoke on Thursday. I'm still working out how to get a decent skin on a pellet smoker, last two attempts have been ok but not great.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 21, 2023

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm still working out how to get a decent skin on a pellet smoker, last two attempts have been ok but not great.

Do you use baking powder in your dry brine? That can help skin crisp up.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doom Rooster posted:

If you fully wrap the brisket in foil, it will sog up any bark that has been developed, and give a little more of a pot-roast texture, still great, but in the rare case that I need to finish in the oven (glow rod burns out, run out of wood/pellets) I do my way now.

Sheet tray with the food side completely lined in foil, brisket on there, then a single big sheet, or two smaller sheets to completely encase the brisket. Ideally no foil is actually touching the brisket, but it's not a big deal. This allows it to finish cooking relatively dry, with a little steam, instead of braising inside a full foil wrap.

I see, thank you.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Is it worth trying to do drip pan gravy if I'm just smoking a turkey breast rather than a whole turkey? I don't have a lot of turkey cooking experience and am unsure how much juice to expect out of the breast alone.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

Is it worth trying to do drip pan gravy if I'm just smoking a turkey breast rather than a whole turkey? I don't have a lot of turkey cooking experience and am unsure how much juice to expect out of the breast alone.

I wouldn’t expect much. Definitely not enough to rely on for gravy. I’d make alternate gravy, and just add whatever does end up in your drip pan to end up with a nice little Smokey accent.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Alright so my dad had been a Kickstarter backer for one of the 'arden indoor smoker' and he died so it got shipped to me. So I guess I'll try it out soon and post a video here.

Condolences, man :smith:

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

born on a buy you posted:

I just did that. I put nothing in my drip pan whereas normally for pork shoulder I put water in there. I used drippings in the broth to hydrate the stuffing then came back later at the end to get more for the gravy. The onions and carrots in the stuffing I just sauteed heavily in butter but I think your vegetables in the pan idea could be good.

I had chicken stock concentrate already on hand before so these drippings were just a smoky booster. Still worthwhile.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Condolences, man :smith:

It's okay it was a bit ago but then I received a giant box in the mail with this smoker so might as well give it a shot

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Warming up the smoker...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Annath posted:

Warming up the smoker...

Hell yeah love my thermPro

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Joked with a coworker that - in light of the beautiful weather - I'd have nothing else to do but fire up the smoker after getting home. He continued the joke by saying he was having guests tonight and they'd probably enjoy some smoked ribs.

I - kinda instinctively - responded that ribs were not feasible due to the time constraint, but I could do some sausages and pork belly. It was around that time that his demeanor went from joking to "hold on, is he seriously offering?", so I ended up coming home from work, bought some pork sausages and Cevapcici along the way (alas, no pork belly), and turned myself into a takeaway catering service.

I may have overfuelled the engine room at some point

Stole away a couple of finished items for myself tomorrow but my colleague was happy as hell about the results of our casual discussion this morning.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
you must like your coworkers a hell of a lot more than I do

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

NomNomNom posted:

I would assume so. Do you even know his coworkers?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Turkey

Wet-brined overnight, as is tradition at my house. It went on the smoker about an hour ago. It's at 120° now and I just wrapped the drum and wingtips in foil.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I forgot to take a pic of the carved deliciousness, but my turkey turned out moist and amazing despite spending 3 of 4.5 hours at 225F instead of the apparently more appropriate 325F-350F :v:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Have I ever actually posted pics of my finished turkeys itt? Normally I say I'm going to and then don't because I'm embarrassed about some minor cosmetic thing like the skin being super dark.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Have I ever actually posted pics of my finished turkeys itt? Normally I say I'm going to and then don't because I'm embarrassed about some minor cosmetic thing like the skin being super dark.

Mine didn't turn out as nice looking as I'd hoped, I used a bit too much rub and probably should have gone with a 12lb or so bird vs the 9lb I got. Skin was super crispy though, if a bit overpowering flavor wise. The meat tasted great so I can't complain.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 24, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Thinking about picking up a leftover duck or goose and trying my hand at smoking them for the first time. Does anyone have any recipes they liked for either, or any tips / stuff I should look out for?

100 pages or so later, I finally ended up smoking the goose I picked up after Easter.

It turned out pretty good. I get why it's not a super popular thing to make. My wife and I aren't always the biggest poultry fans and I probably won't go out of my way to do it again.

The roasted potatoes in goose fat, though, those were pretty amazing.

Since there's not a lot of goose talk in the thread, here's the recipe I used - https://www.thespruceeats.com/smoked-goose-recipe-335509

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Welp, here it is. Done turkey.

The skin shrank back from the thigh a little bit during cooking.

Some of the meat during carving.

It came out juicy and delicious as gently caress. Easily one of my best turkeys.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Second year smoking the turkey this year and it went very well.

Spatchcocked and dry brined two nights in the fridge with just a nice heavy dusting of Lawry’s.

Before smoking I made a compound butter and spread it under the skin on the breasts and thighs. With a little of the extra butter I rubbed it all over the turkey and added a little extra Lawry’s, BBQ rub, and coarse black pepper.

Tossed it on the WSM at 275 degrees. Smoked over Kingsford and a couple chunks of cherry wood. Kept the temp between 260-300 degrees for most of the smoke. Brushed with melted butter every hour until it was done. This kept the skin from becoming leathery. About halfway through, I loosely covered the turkey with some tinfoil to stop the color getting too dark.

Light smoke flavor without being too overwhelming. Came out excellent!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

I have a lot of really good ones :shobon:

It's not like I would do this for the bad ones

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Smoked our turkey again this year. 20.6 lbs, took about 5 hours.

Might be the best turkey I've made, I hit it a lot more aggressively with the smoke (apple) this time.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
First year smoking the turkey. The turkey was pre-brined, so I skipped any additional brining and just salted the skin and rested it ~24h in the fridge. I spread compound butter under the skin, which was also a first for me and I have no idea how Bloodfart McCoy was able to keep it looking so nice. Probably 2/3 of my slices lost the skin as I cut.

I tried to mostly follow the Amazing Ribs technique, although I couldn't fit the drip pan under the grate - so instead I roasted the veg, wingtips, neck, and backbone at 450 and then threw them in a pan with the giblets, some water, and a couple frozen cubes of stock concentrate. Put that on the smoker next to the turkey and hoped for the best:

If I'm honest it looks better than it tasted, although with a strong reduction it was still an ok jus. Just kind of weak. Even with boiling water, it did have the effect of knocking the smoker down to 275 for the middle portion of the cook, which probably kept the skin - which was fine but far from my best work - from browning and fully crisping.

Learnings for next year - make the gravy a separate process and practice the butter thing on some more chickens.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Discussion Quorum posted:

First year smoking the turkey. The turkey was pre-brined, so I skipped any additional brining and just salted the skin and rested it ~24h in the fridge. I spread compound butter under the skin, which was also a first for me and I have no idea how Bloodfart McCoy was able to keep it looking so nice. Probably 2/3 of my slices lost the skin as I cut.

I think if you have a pre-wetbrined turkey you may need to salt it and rest it for more than 24 hours. I did about 36 hours, no wet brine. Make sure it’s uncovered so the skin can actually dry out. By the time I took it out of the fridge on Thanksgiving morning, the turkey was already taking on color from that dry brining process, and the skin was very tight and dry by then. Like beef jerky around the wing tips.

My skin came out much better this year than last year, and the only thing I did different this time was brush on the melted butter every hour during the smoke. It helped keep the skin tight. I’ve heard you can also pin the skin down tight with some toothpicks after you rub butter underneath it. I’ve never had to do it, but it can’t hurt.

Also, for slicing the breast I used a VERY sharp knife. If your blade is getting dull it just won’t work. I try to go for a thickness a little thicker than a #2 pencil. Too thin and the skin won’t have as much breast to hold onto while you slice it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
To make cutting turkeys and other poultry easier, I always try to pry out the wishbone either before or after cooking, and always spatchcock. I also use an electric fillet knife to separate the meat from the carcass, and it turns out really nice slices of breast meat with intact skin bits.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Kinda got bored, and figured I should try my hand at a homemade stuffing recipe, so I did.

Can't just cook up stuffing without actually stuffing it anywhere, can I?

Turned out pretty drat decent for a first try, gonna give it a little more broth for the next attempt.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

apologies if its been brought up a bunch in this thread but for whatever reason i was like 800 posts behind

anyone ever use or have experience with recteqs? im at the stage of my life where i think im going to get a second smoker (because i have lost all self control) and i heard really good things about these guys. i have a masterbuilt 560 so i already have a charcoal/lump wood smoker, but i want something bigger and slightly more mindless for larger cooks, and a pellet smoker is perfect for that. with the added bonus that this guy gets up to 700F so i can still grill on it if i want

https://www.recteq.com/collections/wood-pellet-grills

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Borsche69 posted:

apologies if its been brought up a bunch in this thread but for whatever reason i was like 800 posts behind

anyone ever use or have experience with recteqs? im at the stage of my life where i think im going to get a second smoker (because i have lost all self control) and i heard really good things about these guys. i have a masterbuilt 560 so i already have a charcoal/lump wood smoker, but i want something bigger and slightly more mindless for larger cooks, and a pellet smoker is perfect for that. with the added bonus that this guy gets up to 700F so i can still grill on it if i want

https://www.recteq.com/collections/wood-pellet-grills

I have had a rectec rt700 since early 2020. Its been bulletproof so far and I love the app/controls.

The probes they give are trash and I bought a modification to keep more smoke in it but I've loved it so far. I'd highly recommend.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Paul Proteus posted:

I have had a rectec rt700 since early 2020. Its been bulletproof so far and I love the app/controls.

The probes they give are trash and I bought a modification to keep more smoke in it but I've loved it so far. I'd highly recommend.

using the built in probes kinda feels like going off the old temperature gauge they used (and i guess still do) slap onto those gas grills. i dont think i've ever used masterbuilt's built in probes. i've got the thermoworks smoke (and some other thermoworks probes) so i'm not too concerned about that.

otherwise hell yeah. i'm kinda torn between the 700, the 1000, and the 1100. after dealing with a surface area of 560sqin, I dont think I can go wrong going bigger, and they're all priced about the same

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
The probes work better from other brands - the machine can be calibrated too with them- I just didn't get accurate readings after about 3 months with them. It's my only real complaint.

I do not have the shelf they've made and always had an old loaf pan for water/humidity and have never wanted for space, but it's been tight sometimes in the 700. Never had an issue with brisket. I can smoke 3 or 4 racks of ribs (but could do a ton more it I did them vertical or had the shelf). Two to three butts easily. The issues came when I did a whole turkey (not much room for anything else) or tons of chicken legs/thighs(but the shelf would solve it).

The 1100 sounds cool and just a beefier 700. I don't like the design of the 1000 with the hopper off to the side and not behind the machine so it feeds cleaner/more centrally, but it wasn't available when I bought my 700 either so my opinion is somewhat moot.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I have acquired an 11 pound brisket from the Costco for baby's first holiday party.
I intend to smoke it in the mes30
So to make this work when should I start? The night before (or midnight?) When baby has her midnight snack (4am) when I get up (7am)?
I want to eat at 5pm
What if I cut it in half?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Start at midnight imo. Should give you a finished brisket within range of not needing to reheat it at all before eating.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Ive started them anywhere from 1 to 4am in an Mes30 and theyve always taken less time than i thought. That is during summer months tho. I wouldnt start any earlier than midnight. I would not cut it in half. More of a chance to dry out. Just be have a prewarmed cooler on hand for when its done to let it rest until serving. If you dont have a smoke tube and wood pellets, id highly recommend it. It'll keep smoke rollin for up to six hours. Otherwise you'll be refillin the tiny chip tray every hour. If the brisket is too big to fit on a shelf (usually is), set one rack at the lowest level and then lean another rack angeled against the wall while on that rack. Orient the brisket point side at the bottom.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I've tried the pellet maze before and it just doesn't stay lit
that's a neat technique for getting it to fit, going to try it

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

HootTheOwl posted:

I've tried the pellet maze before and it just doesn't stay lit
that's a neat technique for getting it to fit, going to try it

I use a propane torch or a cottonball soaked in rubbing alcohol to light mine. I keep my wood pellets outside and if its recently been humid, they tend not to stay lit. Ive toasted them on a sheet pan on my grill and that seemed to help.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I saw microwaving them might help.
I keep mine in the garage, I'll try an experiment tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

HootTheOwl posted:

I saw microwaving them might help.
I keep mine in the garage, I'll try an experiment tomorrow

Go luck! Let me know how it goes. Go Bears!