Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

lmao

I started college in 2003, my opinion there was the boilerplate liberal "they should work out a piece deal but largely both parties are to blame" poo poo.

My opinions now are mostly a reaction to the horrible poo poo that Israel is constantly doing.

I took an intro sociology class on the Middle East thought by a Gazan Christian while at an evangelical college. Seeing him throw red pills left and right and crack ping his whole class on the I/P conflict for a whole semester was a hell of a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

who the gently caress cares the US military does it all the time

oh no, the people with guns killing each other are using performance enhancing drugs

like why does D&D even care? Do they think IDF pilots are not also on high tech speed?

they were denying any of the released were even children.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
FWIW I don't think Fishbot's point was "hamas are evil druggies hopped up on the devil's weed"

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

OrangéJéllo posted:

lol hamas claims about 100 soldiers didnt make it back that day, so lets just assume they lied for whatever reason and double it to 200, then take the claim of "dozens" at its absolute bare minimum of 24, the idf is claiming these two killed more than 10% of the hamas casualties that day and still survived while just about every high speed low drag operator at their disposal ate an entire dumptruck of poo poo. Once again the lies make them look worse.

every man woman and child they aimed at was hamas once the bloodlust kicked in.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

spacemang_spliff posted:

lmao

I started college in 2003, my opinion there was the boilerplate liberal "they should work out a piece deal but largely both parties are to blame" poo poo.

My opinions now are mostly a reaction to the horrible poo poo that Israel is constantly doing.

actually according to ABC news your opinions are because of a cynical hamas information/influencer war. hth.

bullshit ABC article that made me mad: “Amid Israel-Hamas conflict, 'information war' plays out on social media, experts say”

quote:

In the wake of Hamas' unprecedented surprise attack inside Israel, a battle is being waged on the streets of Gaza, with guns and tanks following Israel's retaliatory bombing campaign. But at the same time, another clash is happening -- one using tweets and shares.

TikTokers, Instagram users and others posting online from both sides of the war -- including those witnessing the conflict up close in Gaza -- are battling it out to win the social media war and influence public opinion worldwide, experts told ABC News.

"It's particularly relevant in this instance. The military battle with Hamas and Israel is predetermined; Hamas can't defeat the IDF [Israel Defense Forces] and [the] IDF can't obliterate Hamas. So, you have a wider battle, let's call it an information war," David Patrikarakos, a war correspondent and author of the book "War in 140 Characters: How Social Media is Shaping Conflict in the Twenty-First Century," told ABC News.

Citing a disparity between pro-Israeli and pro-Palestinian social media posts, Max Boot, a military historian and a foreign policy analyst, told ABC News he believes, "Israel is losing the information war because it's the battle of victimhood."

yes. they are victimizing people. with genocide.

quote:

Daily video diaries by social media users about life in a war zone are flooding social media feeds. These accounts have some of the most harrowing descriptions of war and also some of the more mundane, detailing everyday aspects of living in an area under siege.

One Gaza-based journalist, Plestia Alaqad, recently posted to her 3.6 million Instagram followers a video of the blue sky above her filling with smoke from a dropped bomb.

"The sky always gives me hope," the 22-year-old wrote in the post, which garnered more than 200,000 likes. "I love watching the clouds and their shapes, and I enjoy watching sunsets and sunrises as well ... but now when I look at the sky all I can see is smoke and darkness ... the sky no longer gives me hope."

Alaqad often posts firsthand accounts of the war along with videos showing the aftermath of bombings, some shot from the balcony of her apartment in Gaza. In another recent post on TikTok, the sounds of loud explosions could be heard outside her apartment.

"We're inside the house right now and literally we can't breathe," Alaqad said in the post. She then went to her balcony and recorded the thick smoke filling the sky. "No view. You can't see anything," she said.

quote:

Gaza photojournalist Motaz Azaiza recently posted to his more than 14.8 million Instagram followers a photo of two Palestinian children lying on a hospital gurney, their heads and limbs bandaged and their faces bloodied. "Children in Gaza have been witnessing endless violence by the Israeli forces," Azaiza wrote in the post, which garnered more than 840,000 likes. "These children do not deserve what they are currently experiencing."

In another recent post, Azaiza is seen running through the dust of a recently bombed Gaza neighborhood, horns blaring in the background. "It was closer to my grandma's house, an airstrike near here!" he wrote in the post, which was viewed more than 700,000 times.

Hind Khoudary, a Palestinian journalist inside Gaza, has more than 825,000 followers on Instagram, gaining thousands of them after the war started, and that number continues to grow. In a recent post on Instagram that generated more than 100,000 likes, she appealed for assistance in getting flak jackets and protective clothing so she can continue reporting in the region. In a Nov. 8 post, she showed a home reduced to a pile of rubble, saying as she panned the camera over the destruction, "There are still 24 family members who are buried under this rubble."

quote:

But as Patrikarakos pointed out, there is a greater context to these posts, saying the ultimate tragedy of this war is that the suffering of the citizens of Gaza is being used by Hamas to set their narrative to the world.

"Hamas needs influencers to highlight the suffering of its own people because Hamas doesn't have an Air Force. So, it needs the influencers," Patrikarakos said. "You see the more Israel destroys Gaza, the more battlefield victories it has, the less the sympathy of the world because Hamas has a strategy to brandish its own people's bodies to the world. It's the goal. They can't defeat Israel with airpower, so they stack the media with images of dead Gazans and hope that the world sees."

[…]

Ben Jensen, a senior fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a think tank in Washington, D.C., said it's important for the public to use a skeptical eye when taking a close look at all the aspects that go into shaping a narrative of the war on both sides -- including social media posts, the videos and the press conferences.

"Take a close look at those emotionally laden stories. You can't just accept it, you should ask, is that really true? What's the other side? What is their perspective?" said Jensen, who authored the book "Information at War: Military Innovation, Battle Networks, and the Future of Artificial Intelligence."

"It's important that we do it because if we don't do it soon, we are literally going to be tearing ourselves apart jacked up on emotion. TikTok is the ultimate emotional drug," Jensen added.

take a close look at those people being relentlessly bombed and buried under rubble. losing limbs before they hit puberty. unable to find bread or drinking water while hospitals and refugee camps are deliberately targeted and destroyed. you can’t just accept it, you should ask, is that really true? and then when you see that it is, you should say, death to the occupation entity and its allies, and gently caress you and everyone else who defends and apologizes for it, “Ben Jensen”

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Walla, the israeli news site that is owned by the Jerusalem Post, with shocking and breaking news that Hamas treated Israeli and other prisoners humanely and without abuse.

https://twitter.com/DrHamami/status/1728419464213893256?s=20

https://x.com/QudsNen/status/1728424116603215934?s=20

https://x.com/ShaykhSulaiman/status/1728421139381199272?s=20

Compare that to the majority of Palestinian children who get arrested suffering major injury during it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

actually according to ABC news your opinions are because of a cynical hamas information/influencer war. hth.

bullshit ABC article that made me mad: “Amid Israel-Hamas conflict, 'information war' plays out on social media, experts say”

take a close look at those people being relentlessly bombed and buried under rubble. losing limbs before they hit puberty. unable to find bread or drinking water while hospitals and refugee camps are deliberately targeted and destroyed. you can’t just accept it, you should ask, is that really true? and then when you see that it is, you should say, death to the occupation entity and its allies, and gently caress you and everyone else who defends and apologizes for it, “Ben Jensen”

You have to give the bomb equal time

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

there is a war on for your mind. join the info wars at infowars dot com.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Israel really is a scorpion lol

https://twitter.com/MayadeenEnglish/status/1728448517369143499

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Guess we'll have to destroy Israel then.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Al-Saqr posted:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Willa Rogers posted:

Stories like this explain why Israel is clamping down on Haaretz:

Reminder that Gideon Levy can't go outside without bodyguards.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

quote:

"Hamas needs influencers to highlight the suffering of its own people because Hamas doesn't have an Air Force. So, it needs the influencers," Patrikarakos said. "You see the more Israel destroys Gaza, the more battlefield victories it has, the less the sympathy of the world because Hamas has a strategy to brandish its own people's bodies to the world. It's the goal. They can't defeat Israel with airpower, so they stack the media with images of dead Gazans and hope that the world sees."

This is literally insane.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

what is it with these guys and foreskins

https://twitter.com/mattlieb/status/1728450937944154276?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

https://twitter.com/haaretz/status/1728434016590913613?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Thought it was common knowledge that most if not all males in Western Asian countries are circumcised.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Death By The Blues posted:

Thought it was common knowledge that most if not all males in Western Asian countries are circumcised.

Fascists are very dumb yes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Jenin is currently under attack by israel

Al-Arabi correspondent: The occupation besieges Jenin Governmental Hospital and sends additional reinforcements from its forces to the city

Al-Arabi correspondent: Armed clashes in the city of Jenin in the West Bank

Director of Jenin Governmental Hospital to Al-Arabi: The occupation forces stormed the city of Jenin, surrounded the hospital and closed all its entrances

https://x.com/alarabytv/status/1728453441343688925?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

hosed up bit of synchronicity, I remember exactly when I learned Muslims generally practice circumcision:

during the Bosnian war ethnic cleansing decades ago I recall an anecdote about refugees being made to drop trousers by death squads to ferrit out those trying to pass as Serbs for their safety.

I can't find a citation now and maybe it's apocryphal but it stuck with me as a hosed up artifact of that madness.

not for nothing one of the fiercest campus allies for palestine I know is an Albanian immigrant

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Attacks in Eilat tonight as well, looks like the ceasefire maybe crumbling

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1728452240841560442

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
called it. Israel would take the ceasefire in Gaza as an excuse to murder Palestinians in the West Bank.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This is....I'm not sure what to call it; delusional?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/11/22/netanyahu-moderate-on-gaza-war/

If Netanyahu can be considered """""moderate""""" I hate to see what Willock would consider right wing.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Jenin is currently under attack by israel

Al-Arabi correspondent: The occupation besieges Jenin Governmental Hospital and sends additional reinforcements from its forces to the city

Al-Arabi correspondent: Armed clashes in the city of Jenin in the West Bank

Director of Jenin Governmental Hospital to Al-Arabi: The occupation forces stormed the city of Jenin, surrounded the hospital and closed all its entrances

https://x.com/alarabytv/status/1728453441343688925?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

find someone who looks at you like israel looks at unmolested hospitals

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

statement from Hamas official

https://twitter.com/aryjeay/status/1728456049022116093?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Death By The Blues posted:

Attacks in Eilat tonight as well, looks like the ceasefire maybe crumbling

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1728452240841560442

yemen has been the one to hit eilat and they weren't party to the ceasefire

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Egypt says that they're getting good signals that the ceasefire might get extended:-

=========================================

Egypt: We received positive signals regarding the possibility of extending the truce in Gaza
Egypt said today that it had received positive signals from all parties regarding the possibility of extending the truce in Gaza for a day or two.

Egypt announced that it is holding intensive talks with all parties to reach an agreement on extending the truce for 4 days.

She explained that this may mean the release of more Israeli prisoners in Gaza, and Palestinian prisoners in Israeli prisons.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...?update=6064565

Maybe Israel has realized it'll be harder to brainwash coach their freed hostages, and they need more time to get them to give warmongering level interviews for their PR.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://x.com/ryangrim/status/1728421640592130236?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

https://x.com/nathanjrobinson/status/1728427598672273916?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

lol imagine saying that and living with yourself

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

i dont know about those battlefield victories, PoopyKaKarakos.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

bobtheconqueror posted:

My assumption is that they've agreed to this mostly because they didn't get the coup they wanted in Al Shifa and want to appease the hostage families in Israel, so that they can then turn around and go back to murdering Palestinians. If they don't have to worry about creating the impression they're trying to rescue hostages they can just blow up hospitals going forward.

I think it's a lot more simple than that: sometime in the last week an IDF commander passed Bibi a report describing the state of the IDF and it was just a picture of a sad Israel with its pockets turned inside-out and moths flying out. This is the longest high-intensity war Israel has fought ever (as far as I know), when the entire country is built around winning wars within days.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Zionist response

https://twitter.com/IsraelWarRoom/status/1728459912068440257

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

the reason why the prisoners arent released is because youre not allowing aid into north gaza and not releasing the prisoners you have yourself.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

the reason why the prisoners arent released is because youre not allowing aid into north gaza and not releasing the prisoners you have yourself.

It's called the Turd Blossom/Lee Atwater projection strategy, OP.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Oh the hostage swap was a huge backfire. Better cancel the ceasefire for spurious reasons

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Blarghalt posted:

This is the longest high-intensity war Israel has fought ever

Depends on how intense you consider the first Lebanon war up to the withdrawal from Beirut to have been, but while the rot was already creeping in by the 80's, the IDF was still a very different beast back than.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

The government will try to pretend that they've been given no choice but to stop the talks and resume the ground operation, Bibi wants so badly to not negotiate and effectively sacrifice the hostages and he thinks that pretending Hamas is breaking the ceasefire is how he'll be able to get away with it without everybody getting even angrier at him.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

The contrast is very clear, just abject joy at the reunification of family members and on the Israeli side strictly managed militarized compartmentalization to make sure the hostages don’t say anything that fucks with their narrative.

Honestly I would have expected more out of Israel’s propaganda elements but as we’re learning from recent events they’re just absolute dogshit at anything that doesn’t involve indiscriminately murdering civilians

:hai:

Israel's equating the celebrations of the release of prisoners (who were found guilty thru kangaroo courts) with terrorism is a reactive response that only highlights Israel's repression of Palestinians.

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Word on the street is, our boys are back at it again with another captured Israeli ship

https://x.com/army21ye/status/1728421437570998366?s=46

HOUTHISFTW
ANSARALLAH4eva

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

what a surprise the fascist state has numerous ceasefire violations 5 minutes in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Al! posted:

how many kangaroo wranglers

the remake changed the boyfriend into an anthropomorphic mercat