Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Danann posted:

Given Ukraine's experience, cluster munitions are exactly good at one thing which is shooting at a tank column stacked up against each other like it's a Wargame zero hour rush. Outside of that and :xcom:-level rng kicks in to the point that infantry in the open field can just walk out of the barrage completely fine.

Well maybe the US artillerists know how to use them as ersatz HE instead of firing them as is which will be more lethal than firing clusters as is.

I believe you can set any cluster round to just act like a HE round, its just not as good as the proper thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

atelier morgan posted:

cluster munitions are good at one thing and that's reaping an order of magnitude more deniable civilian casualties from uxo than any comparable munition, perfect for america

they're also quite good at giving an enemy guerrilla force a bunch of UXO to make IEDs out of

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

I believe you can set any cluster round to just act like a HE round, its just not as good as the proper thing

You also have to know how to do that

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

i appreciated that they didn't try to make Jake-O starfleet

Kinda funny Nog went to the academy though

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Jake was too close to the mil to want to join up; Nog was using it as a jumping off point to improve his life rather than end up like his father

tale as old as time

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nog was a diversity hire

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

poisonpill posted:

Jake was too close to the mil to want to join up; Nog was using it as a jumping off point to improve his life rather than end up like his father

tale as old as time

I bet Nog got all the diplomatic perks after Rom became Nagus though.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
The Old-School Artillery Shell Is Becoming High Tech
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-old-school-artillery-shell-is-becoming-high-tech/ar-AA1klGY1

Hell. Yes.

quote:

AUFOSS, Norway—At a factory in rural Norway, engineers are perfecting an artillery shell they say will be able to travel many times farther than the traditional ammunition currently pounding the battlefield in Ukraine.

The work is part of a broader trend among arms companies to increase the range, precision and lethality of artillery shells that have remained largely unchanged for decades.

The technological advances, giving some shells capabilities similar to missiles but with a lower cost and quicker production time, promise a dramatic change for artillery as it plays its biggest role since the Vietnam War.

quote:

Norway-based Nammo, in partnership with Boeing, is testing shells in Raufoss that use so-called ramjet engines that it says will eventually be able to travel up to about 90 miles—more than the distance from Philadelphia to New York. Standard-barreled howitzers have a range of around 15 miles with a conventional round, with longer-range cannons reaching just over 30 miles.

“This is a game changer,” said Øyvind Lien, program director for advanced tactical propulsion at Nammo. “You are putting a missile into a gun,” he said, amid the noise of grinding metal on the factory floor.

quote:

The company’s ramjet technology works by allowing air to enter through the front of the shell at high speed. The air is compressed and oxidizes the rocket fuel, allowing it to burn. Using outside air means ramjet shells don’t need to have oxidizer as part of their propellant, meaning they can cram in more fuel.

I've constantly been saying that the main thing that artillery shells are missing is an entire jet engine. I'm glad somebody is finally listening.

quote:

Nammo is developing shells fired by tanks where the operator can decide on the type of effect. For example, the shell could be programmed to explode in the air above a target or to penetrate its armor. Other companies are exploring the possibility of being able to adjust how much of a shell’s warhead detonates at the target, to potentially reduce collateral damage.

This is an upgrade available to Siege Tanks in Starcraft 2.

quote:

Both the U.S. and Europe produced about 300,000 artillery shells last year, according to the Center for Strategic and International Studies. The European Union believes its producers can increase production to one million shells by next year and the U.S. is looking at a level of 1.2 million.

It's nice to have dreams.

quote:

Manufacturing shells can be a lucrative business. Germany’s Rheinmetall said this month that it expects operating margins of 25% this year at its newly acquired Spanish shell maker compared with 8.4% for its wider business.

Triple the profits means triple the innovations.

quote:

An advantage artillery shells hold over missiles is that they are quicker and cheaper to make.

Cruise missiles can cost millions of dollars, and the rockets used in U.S.-guided missile systems, like Himars, cost $150,000 each. By contrast, a standard 155-millimeter high-explosive shell costs about $800 and a more-sophisticated guided Excalibur shell is about $68,000, according to CSIS.

A Russian-made Lancet drone is about 35,000 US dollars. Western-made 155mm HE shells are also currently a lot more expensive than $800.

quote:

BAE and Nammo haven’t disclosed how much their new shell will cost once in production, though the latter has said its ramjet shells could be considered high cost in comparison with other artillery products.

quote:

The increased complexity of shells also has its downside. For instance, guided shells have been vulnerable to Russian electronic warfare, Ukrainian artillery operators say. And new innovations, including ramjet rockets and guidance wings, take up space from explosive materials.

“There is a trade-off, as even a small ramjet engine in a shell changes how much explosive matter you can get in there,” Kotlarski said.

This is the last sentence of the article. They're really burying the lede.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

BearsBearsBears posted:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-old-school-artillery-shell-is-becoming-high-tech/ar-AA1klGY1

Hell. Yes.

I've constantly been saying that the main thing that artillery shells are missing is an entire jet engine. I'm glad somebody is finally listening.

A Russian-made Lancet drone is about 35,000 US dollars. Western-made 155mm HE shells are also currently a lot more expensive than $800.

How to build a lovely rocket artillery.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

No need for RDX when we can just have bigger KE impacts from bespoke, artisanal ramjet power plants in each shell, lovingly 3D printed for mere thousands of dollars.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

No need for RDX when we can just have bigger KE impacts from bespoke, artisanal ramjet power plants in each shell, lovingly 3D printed for mere thousands of dollars.

Thousands of dollars is the cost of a single, western-made, basic HE shell. Each new German 155mm shell costs 3,300 Euros. They cost 2,000 Euros even before the Ukraine war. These new shells are going to be much, much, much more profitable.

https://en.defence-ua.com/analysis/how_much_155mm_ammunition_costs_now_an_example_of_the_rheinmetall_contract_for_10000_shells-5178.html

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Isn't ramjet vaporware? Is there a working ramjet product?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

stephenthinkpad posted:

Isn't ramjet vaporware? Is there a working ramjet product?

Ramjets are pretty common on missiles. You might be thinking of scramjets? Scramjets are like ramjets but even more faster.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1728097551692492980

china suffering from success: bicycle rush hour in the dockyards

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I hope they’re building enormous boats that launches full sized destroyers like torpedoes that would be bad rear end

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
even better if they built cannons that launched boats but idk if that’s possible to do

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Danann posted:

President Xi, chinese people yearn for massive public transport

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What if, every Chinese dock work drive a crew cab pickup?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BearsBearsBears posted:

Hell. Yes.

Lmfao

They have learned nothing

It's so absurd I don't know how anyone can even say this poo poo with a straight face anymore

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

What if, every Chinese dock work drive a crew cab pickup?

an important point, this could be so much worse if they were driving personal cars

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

double nine posted:

an important point, this could be so much worse if they were driving personal cars

They don’t feel like big tough guys because they aren’t driving F350s
:-(

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Slavvy posted:

They don’t feel like big tough guys because they aren’t driving F350s
:-(

the toughest men in the world just blow up their own guys when their hear "hamas"

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

BearsBearsBears posted:

Hell. Yes.

western military technology will eventually evolve into spending the entire GDP of the US into making the Golden Gun and a single bullet for it

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Halser posted:

western military technology will eventually evolve into spending the entire GDP of the US into making the Golden Gun and a single bullet for it

Who gets to be Oddjob?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Who gets to be Oddjob?

Some senators incompetent failkid.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Who gets to be Oddjob?

biden

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Halser posted:

thinking of how the think tanks claiming SK can effortlessly wipe NK off in this "because muh high techs" context even funnier now

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

$8400 for a no frills high explosive round :discourse:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Danann posted:

estimated date of delivery: at the impending chinese collapse

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

Leaning against the factory wall, chewing a piece of straw: "Market prices pardner."

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DancingShade posted:

Leaning against the factory wall, chewing a piece of straw: "Market prices pardner."

its totally free for ukraine as long as they loan money from the IMF

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021
Can you even get funding to build/buy a basic shell manufacturing plant?

Would be hilarious if the US/EU couldn’t ramp up production because they only funded grift plants.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

GrunkleStalin posted:

Can you even get funding to build/buy a basic shell manufacturing plant?

Would be hilarious if the US/EU couldn’t ramp up production because they only funded grift plants.

holy poo poo no, munitions are very strictly regulated

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Bastard Tetris posted:

holy poo poo no, munitions are very strictly regulated

funny how our govt run safety inspectorate over here is essentially a state run grift with all of the perks and non of the actual responsibilities

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Danann posted:

Ah but at what cost?

And also have you considered this is way worse for GDP than spreadsheet wizardry?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Lmfao

It's so absurd I don't know how anyone can even say this poo poo with a straight face anymore

Look I know we have problems, but what if we try the same thing we have been doing, but *more*?

Also no I have no idea why my wife left me.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Lmfao

You can't teach a man something that his livelyhood rests upon not knowing

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

FF kinda puts the lie to that, he just pretends not to know any of it professionally. Probably should maritally as well.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i cant speak for ff, but i feel like people like him are less taught and more crack-pinged into correct thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Cerebral Bore posted:

i cant speak for ff, but i feel like people like him are less taught and more crack-pinged into correct thought

Once reality intrudes on ideology, roll a d20. On a 20, you crack-ping into reevaluating. On a 1-19, you double down.