Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Asbestos doesn't discriminate. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Half-way through Scott Pilgrim takes off and it's rad, I love that they're still stuffing brand new memes and throwbacks into the series. The Lucas Lee episode was my favorite so far, loved when the Tony Hawk music hit, the only thing that would've made it better if it was Superman

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Just binged BES and wow, how much did Netflix spend on this? Absolutely stunning. Also Swordfather opening up with "It would be nice if someone made tea" is gold and I'm gonna use that as the new "Would you kindly"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Just got around to looking at it as well and people do be fukkin.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Someone posted it earlier in the thread but the actual Great Fire of Meireki was started because a priest was burning an allegedly cursed kimono to dispose of it and did so in the middle of a hurricane-force windstorm and within a week Edo was basically burned to the ground and over 100,000 people were dead. So yeah, kinda.

I watched a horror anthology with an ep set in Taiwan, where priests have a prosession to bring a cursed item to the beach before burning/cleansing it. Guess they were on to something there.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also was looking through all the cast and saw Ringo was voiced by Masi Oka, from Heroes. No wonder he was so likable.

Peaches!

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

nine-gear crow posted:

Someone posted it earlier in the thread but the actual Great Fire of Meireki was started because a priest was burning an allegedly cursed kimono to dispose of it and did so in the middle of a hurricane-force windstorm and within a week Edo was basically burned to the ground and over 100,000 people were dead. So yeah, kinda.

Some things never change lol. When I lived in Colorado we loved to blame our wildfires on imaginary homeless campers and their illegal campfires, when in reality it was always some redneck burning trash in his yard on a windy day costing himself and all his neighbors everything they had to lose

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Reminds me of the Great Gender Reveal Fire that happened a few years back.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Phy posted:

Why Edo burned to the ground was already covered, but just cause I thought it was interesting:

Japanese (and Chinese) lacquer is made from the sap of the Chinese lacquer tree, a type of sumac. A compound in the sap, urushiol, polymerizes as it dries, which is what creates such a tough coating. I don't know that it's particularly flammable, but it is a serious skin irritant when it's fresh. The tree is closely related to poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac, and urushiol is the compound in all of those that gives you a rash when you touch it. Of course, when it's dried and polymerized, it's not really the same molecules any more and it's a lot more inert.

Good god. As someone who had a full-body encounter with poison ivy a few years ago that took like a month to get over, just hearing the word "urushiol" makes me start twitching. Just imagining being a lacquer artisan having to work with it in liquid form, poo poo would have been like plutonium

mystes
May 31, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Reminds me of the Great Gender Reveal Fire that happened a few years back.
I'm not sure that narrows it down

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I like the part in Scavengers Reign where they just straight up in universe acknowledge just that weird hosed up sequence of that alien dude being born then pushing a button and dying only to be reborn again.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

apatheticman posted:

I like the part in Scavengers Reign where they just straight up in universe acknowledge just that weird hosed up sequence of that alien dude being born then pushing a button and dying only to be reborn again.

It's fun that Ursula's reaction is basically what the viewer is going to feel- No idea what just happened but it felt profound?!?
Sam's reaction is understandable. Poor guy just keeps getting bitten and parasitized in the arm.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Finished Blue Eye Samurai. Dang it's awesome how each episode is a self-contained story that plays like a movie, each with kind of its own genre, its own structure, its own conceit. The flashback one with bunraku puppets was just a beautiful russian-nesting-doll of a story. The assault on the castle played so much like a bunch of video game set pieces that that had to be the intent (right?); and I loved the "security cam" system with the mirrors.

One thing I minorly would gripe about is that for all its attention to detail, some seemingly minor bits seem to stretch plausibility for no particularly good reason. I'm not buying that she was able to roll up her tool-pack and stash it on her back in the split second while the water overwhelmed her at the gate where she was lockpicking; and I don't see how she could have recovered all the shards of the sword. And I'm also not on board with Fowler being a physical badass who can beat the crap out of both Mizu and Taigen just by punching and dodging, when we've been through eight episodes of Mizu just steamrolling through highly trained sword-wielding armies. Yeah he's big and imposing and all, but with this presentation of where he is in his career he comes across like Mecha-Hitler in Wolfenstein 3D; only a physical threat because everything else has been a physical threat and the game mechanics don't have any other way of having the boss fight, or something.

Also was it just me or did Branagh give a few really questionable line deliveries? I loved all his flowery monologues, just delightful turns of phrase, but occasionally he would say something like "We starved. Everyone starved." and the stress is all fucky. We STARVED. everyone STARVED. Instead of "we starved. EVERYONE starved." I can't tell if it was an intentional choice, the character being weird, or if Branagh somehow didn't get the gist of the line. (I doubt it's the latter because all the other odd stresses he gives are all clearly him chewing every bit of juice from the scenery)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Also was it just me or did Branagh give a few really questionable line deliveries? I loved all his flowery monologues, just delightful turns of phrase, but occasionally he would say something like "We starved. Everyone starved." and the stress is all fucky. We STARVED. everyone STARVED. Instead of "we starved. EVERYONE starved." I can't tell if it was an intentional choice, the character being weird, or if Branagh somehow didn't get the gist of the line. (I doubt it's the latter because all the other odd stresses he gives are all clearly him chewing every bit of juice from the scenery)

he's stressing the casualness of his tone to make the worst ordeal of his life seem light and airy. like with his "request" to shindo to handle mizu, fowler tends to talk like that when he's at his most volcanically pissed off

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Data Graham posted:

And I'm also not on board with Fowler being a physical badass who can beat the crap out of both Mizu and Taigen just by punching and dodging, when we've been through eight episodes of Mizu just steamrolling through highly trained sword-wielding armies.

I may be overthinking/overjustifying this but they made a point of Mizu knowing the techniques and styles of each dojo, and therefore knowing the weaknesses of each and the proper way to counter them

but then you have Fowler who is basically an alien, coming from a culture she knows nothing about and fighting in a style she's never encountered

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Here's a fun thought for (I hope) next season: BES takes place in 1657. If we spend a little time kicking around, Mizu could be in London for the end of the world that is 1666.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Really enjoyed Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, really tried to patch up the knives being 17 thing that was a major red flag, turned it into a good self aware thing, while having plenty of Sonic the Hedgehog references and for some reason, Lucas Lee skateboarding the entire Americana at Brand.

Also appreciated having Will Forte's voice in it, even though it sounded a little **too** much like a Adult Comedy Cartoon with the voice, would've just preferred Michael Cera gravely or if they went into a Will Arnett for arrested development comedy.

But also, my favorite cameo was Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, even if their lines were very whack.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Das Boo posted:

Here's a fun thought for (I hope) next season: BES takes place in 1657. If we spend a little time kicking around, Mizu could be in London for the end of the world that is 1666.

Lol at the possible narrative of Mizu being responsible for two of the most cataclysmic fires in the history of two separate continents.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

And her granddaughter or whatever just happens to be in Chicago a century or two later.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mizu O'Leary

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Modern Leper posted:

Lol at the possible narrative of Mizu being responsible for two of the most cataclysmic fires in the history of two separate continents.

I bet the irony of a woman whose name means water being responsible for a massive fire was not lost on the showrunners at all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Btw I thought it was interesting and cool how the two creator credits swapped places each episode.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://youtu.be/HW-MMu4GLWk?si=LnEqq8W80R64PxX5

Theme song MV, good rear end OP. For those of us who were a little disappointed at how much of the movie’s soundtrack was missing there’s a nice little surprise at the end

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

https://youtu.be/HW-MMu4GLWk?si=LnEqq8W80R64PxX5

Theme song MV, good rear end OP. For those of us who were a little disappointed at how much of the movie’s soundtrack was missing there’s a nice little surprise at the end

theory holds true:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbvxlvSIIww

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's been like a month and I still jam out to this song on the regular. :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUaU5d9xERE

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Fishy Flip posted:

It's been like a month and I still jam out to this song on the regular. :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUaU5d9xERE

I took my time watching, but finally finished BES, this was so much better than all of you made it seem. The assault of the fortress was just amazingly badass. This whole show was on another level. Outstanding.

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Finished Blue Eye Samurai. Dang it's awesome how each episode is a self-contained story that plays like a movie, each with kind of its own genre, its own structure, its own conceit. The flashback one with bunraku puppets was just a beautiful russian-nesting-doll of a story. The assault on the castle played so much like a bunch of video game set pieces that that had to be the intent (right?); and I loved the "security cam" system with the mirrors.

Completely agree, I loved those aspects of it.

Data Graham posted:

One thing I minorly would gripe about is that for all its attention to detail, some seemingly minor bits seem to stretch plausibility for no particularly good reason. I'm not buying that she was able to roll up her tool-pack and stash it on her back in the split second while the water overwhelmed her at the gate where she was lockpicking;

She tried but wasn't successful. She lost all her supplies except for a couple hand grenades and a garrote. If she did get her tool pack rolled up in time she'd probably have all of her supplies still.

Data Graham posted:

and I don't see how she could have recovered all the shards of the sword.

I didn't pick up on this but you're right. Maybe Taigen grabbed the other pieces or something. Probably just a overlooked polt hole.

Data Graham posted:

And I'm also not on board with Fowler being a physical badass who can beat the crap out of both Mizu and Taigen just by punching and dodging, when we've been through eight episodes of Mizu just steamrolling through highly trained sword-wielding armies. Yeah he's big and imposing and all, but with this presentation of where he is in his career he comes across like Mecha-Hitler in Wolfenstein 3D; only a physical threat because everything else has been a physical threat and the game mechanics don't have any other way of having the boss fight, or something.

On Mizu's climb through the tower to reach Fowler she had to...
-Get a spike from the spike walls impaled straight through her foot.
-Fight off ~30 guards right after getting her sword stuck in the wall.
-Fight off a bunch of crazed baboons after poisoned with some kind of hallucinogenic.
-Escaping that encounter buy throwing a grenade, and sending her falling one floor down landing in a pile of debris.
-Fighting a bunch of zombies in near darkness.
-Finding Taigen who's in real bad shape and deciding to carry him all the way to the top anyway even though he can barely walk.
-Fights some kind of inhuman flame demon or something.
-Falls off the tower, barely catching Taigen in time, then she has the climb a sheer stone wall with Taigen on her back to make it back up.
-Finally reaches the top to confront Folwer, and he just shoots her. She deflects the musket ball with her sword, but her sword breaks and she ends up getting a big hunk of shrapnel from the ball in her shoulder blade.
I mean Mizu's a badass and all but she's clearly exhausted and in bad shape by the time she reached him, and her getting shot and her sword broken really seemed to turn the tables in favor of Fowler. She'd have kicked his his rear end if he hadn't worn her down with his stupid fortress traps.

Data Graham posted:

I didn't pick up on this so I don't really have an opinion on it.

Fishy Flip fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 28, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I haven't seen BES yet but its on the list, that sounds like some comical John Wick 4 levels of falling down the stairs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

I haven't seen BES yet but its on the list, that sounds like some comical John Wick 4 levels of falling down the stairs.

The John Wick comparisons are fairly app, especially between the number of people Mizu just kills the gently caress out of vs. the number of times she's also grievously wounded across the season. It does approach comical "Jesus, lady, how are you not dead yet?" levels, and yet the show is still absolutely amazing and drat-near perfect in every regard.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah. That Blue Eye Samurai really can't be recommended enough. No matter what is said about it in the topic is enough to capture how good it is. You really have to see it to believe it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BES does do the Wick thing where Mizu is exactly strong enough to defeat whoever she is facing as long as she gets the poo poo kicked out of her first.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Soonmot posted:

I took my time watching, but finally finished BES, this was so much better than all of you made it seem. The assault of the fortress was just amazingly badass. This whole show was on another level. Outstanding.

I mean there's been how many posts now like this? Dunno how else the thread can get people to watch it :v:

Seriously if you have any prejudice against Blue Eye Samurai (netflix animation, animation set in japan, whatever) drop that poo poo ASAP and get to watching it.

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, I can't think of anyone one who posted in this thread who had anything negative to say about Blue Eye Samurai, other than some minor historical inaccuracies, but, like who cares really. I feel confident in saying it's my favorite show I've watched this year. Animated or not.

Also I've not heard much buzz or talk about Onimusha. It came out around the same time as BES, and no it's not as good, but it's not bad by any means. It's still a great show and I really enjoyed it. I'd recommend watching it after BES if you want some more samurai action. I wish more people wouldn't sleep on it. Or maybe I'm the only one who likes it I dunno. I just wouldn't compare it to Blue Eye Samurai if you want to get any enjoyment out of it. It's its own thing.

Fishy Flip fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 28, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ImpAtom posted:

BES does do the Wick thing where Mizu is exactly strong enough to defeat whoever she is facing as long as she gets the poo poo kicked out of her first.

I really appreciate how the only time Mizu's not on the back foot is when she's beating up students of a style she's already dismantled. Otherwise, she's really scraping through by the skin of her teeth. She'd be perfectly superior in a well-rested 1v1 but loving no one, including Mizu, is going to fight fair because honor don't mean poo poo when you're dead.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Really enjoyed Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, really tried to patch up the knives being 17 thing that was a major red flag, turned it into a good self aware thing, while having plenty of Sonic the Hedgehog references and for some reason, Lucas Lee skateboarding the entire Americana at Brand.

Knives Chau truly was too good for all of us.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, Mizu's whole thing is that people are only probably not being literal when they call her a demon. She really is touching the edge of being an actual onryo, fuelled by hate and betrayal to become something approaching a force of nature. Kind of like how Fowler is, prosaically speaking, just a big mean clever Irish dude, but is also satanic as all gently caress in his impossible appetites, his impossible cruelty, and his impossible genius.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Data Graham posted:

Btw I thought it was interesting and cool how the two creator credits swapped places each episode.

I noticed that, too. A really good idea that we should see more often.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fishy Flip posted:

-Fighting a bunch of zombies in near darkness.

Pretty sure she just outright murked a bunch of innocent prisoners because she was still in a drug haze.

They were probably trying to run up to her to thank her for getting them out of their cells.

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Pretty sure she just outright murked a bunch of innocent prisoners because she was still in a drug haze.

They were probably trying to run up to her to thank her for getting them out of their cells.

Hadn't considered that. It's hard to tell, she's fighting them in the dark with brief flashes of light that aren't really explained. Could be Mizu drifting in and out of consciousness while still continuing to fight.
I like this theory, that's probably what's going on.

Fishy Flip fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Modern Leper posted:

I can't at all imagine them seeing this opportunity and not taking it.