Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

On my laspistol I have infernus and dumdum and it is wild. Highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

canada jezus posted:

Bought the game this week on sale, got my zealot up to level 26. It's been rough going. Heresy is kinda hard, but i keep wiping even on uprising maelstrom missions. Tough going. I'm doing martydom and trying to be as tanky as possible. i'm not good enough to carry my team mates. Fun game though. Fun game.

As a Zealot, your running slide has a 100% damage reduction if you still have stamina. Mean, you can approach enemies slide up to them to get in their faces.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Potato Salad posted:

Okay, is Misozi a heretic?

She is your dropship pilot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why does the mourningtstar take upwards of a minute to load on an SSD. Who designed it this way. Why is fatshark

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Other fun slide tricks: With Ogryn swinging the mk3 club, you move slower when you're charging a heavy swing, but if you slide and start charging it, you'll move almost as fast as if you were walking normally. You can get into a sort of rhythm with swinging and dipping and sliding to cover ground quickly and still clobber trash on your way to, say, an elite you need to clobber. (I mean, I guess you can do that with any weapon with heavy attacks but the mk3 swinging horizontally on repeat makes it an easy pattern to keep going while you're doing the slides.)

With Psyker, when you lock onto Brain Burst, you don't need to retain line of sight on the target, but you walk slower while charging it. A thing you can do is lock on with Brain Burst and then do a sliding back dodge to get faster movement than you normally would to get around a corner or if you're on high ground, put some terrain between you and the target, etc.

Also, a non-Ogryn carrying an ammo capsule/crystals/energy core will move faster sliding than running. Handy on the bridge event on Throneside, the ammo train raid, and the repair mission.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Arc Hammer posted:

Why does the mourningtstar take upwards of a minute to load on an SSD. Who designed it this way. Why is fatshark

Presumably it's network related rather than asset loading, like Diablo IV you gotta download everyone's inventory, talent trees and all of their load outs.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Artificer posted:

She is your dropship pilot.

I mean have you LISTENED to her

this game is so loving good

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Okay, is Misozi a heretic?

She’s as much a heretic as “skulls for the golden throne” psyker.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
New record for speedy loss. Loaded directly into the Mission failure screen. Got a mission payout of 5000 dockets, 100 plasteel and 80 diamond thingies for not even seeing an enemy.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ninjoatse.cx posted:

New record for speedy loss. Loaded directly into the Mission failure screen. Got a mission payout of 5000 dockets, 100 plasteel and 80 diamond thingies for not even seeing an enemy.

I enjoy the lore implications of this.

They're flying in reinforcements, see the situation on the ground and straight nope you back to base with half a day's pay.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Caros posted:

I enjoy the lore implications of this.

They're flying in reinforcements, see the situation on the ground and straight nope you back to base with half a day's pay.

That's not the WH 40K Lore way of doing things.

They're flying in reinforcements, see how things are going on the ground, and your blood runs cold as you hear the pilot scream "FOR THE EMPORER!!" and does a nose dive straight for a group of crushers.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Hush, Misozi's working on a good mood today, she wouldn't ruin it like that

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I've been leveling Zealot and I'm pretty comfortable with a Eviscerator/Revolver build using the Holy Relic and eventually Martyrdom. I want to try a Crucis Thunder Hammer build also using Holy Relic/Martyrdom but also knives for popping snipers. What gun should I use with this build to deal with hordes? I was going to use the Flamer but it doesn't seem strong enough. Shredder Autopistol? One of the Autoguns?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
either braced or infantry autoguns are good, former is killier, latter lets you take out far off specials since braced autogun accuracy goes to poo poo past a certain range. i use agriipiina for both, but the columnus infantry is much speedier and has more ammo than its peers; basically an SMG vs the others being ARs, along with its firing sound being surprisingly similar to counterstrike's mp5

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Hallowete is my favourite. Love a Bristol accent and it is just funny to hear it in this universe.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

I've been leveling Zealot and I'm pretty comfortable with a Eviscerator/Revolver build using the Holy Relic and eventually Martyrdom. I want to try a Crucis Thunder Hammer build also using Holy Relic/Martyrdom but also knives for popping snipers. What gun should I use with this build to deal with hordes? I was going to use the Flamer but it doesn't seem strong enough. Shredder Autopistol? One of the Autoguns?

So it sort of depends on what you mean. The Crucis actually deals with hoards just fine; it's heavy attack is just a constant back and forth sweep. In fact, the thunder hammers in general are meant to be a one-stop shop for almost all of your close range needs, they do assassination reasonably well and they do hoard management reasonably well. There's a couple of things to keep in mind for either one of these roles. The heavy attack sweep deals most of its damage to your first target but impacts everyone in its path, so as long as you plant yourself you can keep standard enemies controlled indefinitely but you mostly don't kill them, and rather just kind of knock them around. Make sure to spend a little time cleaning up your mess. This will feel slightly less powerful than your evisc because of it. If you want more stopping power, use an autogun in place of a flamer. The autopistol is fun actually but it's magazine is too small to control hoards very well. Which autogun is mostly a matter of taste though I'd err on the side of the Columnus or Graia because what you want is close range with high rate of fire.

What you'll have trouble with in your setup is dealing with a group of maulers or crushers that spawn right in your face. The activation time on the hammer is small but having to suddenly pivot can leave you vulnerable. Your F can actually deal with this pretty well, provided its off cooldown, so just keep that in mind. Also knives are fine for snipers are long ranges, but at extreme ranges you may have some difficulty.

The comedy option is a shotgun. The Agrippina Shotgun doubles as a sniper rifle with its alt fire, but may have trouble with large hoards. The Lawbringer is pretty fun to use but it may be one of the weaker shotties at the moment.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Pack a Bolter with your Crucis. Solves all your problems.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
its actually the crusher that is the best weapon now

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Can someone explain how Parry works? Are you suppose to trigger it just as an attack comes in, ie during the "sword stroke" animation of the parry action?

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Fishstick posted:

Can someone explain how Parry works? Are you suppose to trigger it just as an attack comes in, ie during the "sword stroke" animation of the parry action?

Once you press the button as long as you do the Genji pose you will parry the attack. It takes a little bit for reflexes to kick in so if you press the button when you hear the incoming melee noise it might be too late but it's possible to improve reaction times.

The parry will eat stamina like a block, block the attack, and do a sick nasty attack back. This can parry a crusher overhead at the cost of all your stamina.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mega Comrade posted:

Hallowete is my favourite. Love a Bristol accent and it is just funny to hear it in this universe.

A Bristol con artist leading a team of drunken northerners and their one psychotic Scottish friend on a murder bender through an old Victorian red-light district. Also known as Loose Cannon Vets, a Zealot and a Bone Head.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also I just realized. The Veteran is the marksman of the group who takes potshots at high value targets. The Loose Cannon vet has a very thick northern accent. I named my Loose Cannon Veteran "Sharper", gave him blond hair and I've been going for green coloured cosmetics.

I think I unconsciously had Sharpe on my mind and spliced his and Harper's names together.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I keep calling for Timmy to give 'em hell, but Timmy never shows.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Arc Hammer posted:

Also I just realized. The Veteran is the marksman of the group who takes potshots at high value targets. The Loose Cannon vet has a very thick northern accent. I named my Loose Cannon Veteran "Sharper", gave him blond hair and I've been going for green coloured cosmetics.

I think I unconsciously had Sharpe on my mind and spliced his and Harper's names together.

Remember to never lose the Emperor's Colours

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Remember to never lose the Emperor's Colours

A man who loses the Emperor's Colours, loses the Emperor's friendship.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

newer map dialogue is definitely playing out workplace ennui and politics like an episode of The Office, and that kind of rules because it adds an extra layer of Weird into the working lives of the Inquisition

edit: the game literally opens with "Throne, I'm so tired of TPS reports not purging these heretics, can't we just purge these heretics?"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Once you press the button as long as you do the Genji pose you will parry the attack. It takes a little bit for reflexes to kick in so if you press the button when you hear the incoming melee noise it might be too late but it's possible to improve reaction times.

The parry will eat stamina like a block, block the attack, and do a sick nasty attack back. This can parry a crusher overhead at the cost of all your stamina.

The counter attack is also really strong. Before the last parch buffed their health, I was able to drop dreg ragers with a counter attack most of the time (though my sword was +20% damage to maniacs). Haven’t tried it after the patch though. Knife builds are too much fun.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
I think there's a perfect parry mechanic where if you get the timing just right the stamina cost is reduced, but if that's true I can't consistently do it. Parrying is still great fun and a wonderful way to clown on ragers.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Its really fun when people talk about mechanics and playstyles I could never adopt because I'm too busy managing sheer panic. Proud of you goons.

The zealot ranged discussion is great, I just want to add that the Columnus Autogun fires multiple bullets during a crit which makes it work really well with Blazing Piety.

I just used spergcall, an incredible urge is welling within goons to say it's super easy to keep up blazing piety and stay calm playing video games.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Dalmuti posted:

its actually the crusher that is the best weapon now

What's a good crusher build with the revolver? I'm currently playing this Thunder Hammer build but the drat thing is too slow.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've also been wanting to try out the crusher on zealot but I'm curious what works best, skullcrusher as blessing 1 seems like the right call but which of the 3 impact blessings is the better one?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I am probably just a bad zealot player but I just feel more powerful playing the Ogryn in almost every way (I usually play Vet but branch out once my contracts are done for the week). The shield + rumbler combo is just amazingly fun and with my zealot I just feel like ranged units just turn me into swiss cheese.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

newer map dialogue is definitely playing out workplace ennui and politics like an episode of The Office, and that kind of rules because it adds an extra layer of Weird into the working lives of the Inquisition

edit: the game literally opens with "Throne, I'm so tired of TPS reports not purging these heretics, can't we just purge these heretics?"

Well, that's what happens when an inquisitor leaves their retainers in charge of a war band completely unattended for far too long. Things get wacky.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Pershing posted:

What's a good crusher build with the revolver? I'm currently playing this Thunder Hammer build but the drat thing is too slow.
This crit-build is what I've been liking for Auric HISTG missions:
https://darktide.gameslantern.com/build-editor?id=9ab30a1b-a141-4ce2-8a42-77b96d9e3d1a
I went with a crit build because the crusher is fairly fast and has really good cleave, and in practice I've got pretty good uptime on my ult. Not as good as a dagger or eviscerator with the Shred blessing obviously but it's remarkably competitive nonetheless.

The extra stamina/stamina regen on curios is for block attack spam (which is pretty strong with the crusher), but if you find yourself never running out then you can drop that in favor for more health or whatever you fancy. Also since it's a rather talent-point intensive build you kinda have to choose between Enduring Faith (toughness damage resistance) and Thy Wrath be Swift (never get stunned). Enduring Faith is great if you get caught off-guard by a surprise Rager horde, while Thy Wrath is always good.
edit: Come to think of it, you can also go with throwing daggers which would save you a couple points, though personally I find that they overlap too much with the revolver. You could go for a different ranged weapon in that case though.

As far as blessings go, Skullcrusher is a no-brainer and adds a lot of extra damage right after you've landed a charged special hit. (Against an enemy Crusher with shove attacks to the head it goes from like 600 to 1000+ damage IIRC) Thunderstrike is just what I happened to roll, and it seems to do the job well enough since I've got no problems smacking around Rager squads.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 25, 2023

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I am probably just a bad zealot player but I just feel more powerful playing the Ogryn in almost every way (I usually play Vet but branch out once my contracts are done for the week). The shield + rumbler combo is just amazingly fun and with my zealot I just feel like ranged units just turn me into swiss cheese.

That's ok, especially at higher difficulties ranged situations can feel very oppressive.

I really love the melee combat of the VT series and charging around, and that's it. No other options, just dodging and sliding and trying to close the distance.

But the zealot doesn't charge through poo poo. Does it even count as a dodge? After getting hung up on every bitch rear end heretic or a couple stray shots while ogrynns go flying past hurling poo poo willy nilly swangin giant melee weapons its like huh maybe I'll be relic boy.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Back Hack posted:

Well, that's what happens when an inquisitor leaves their retainers in charge of a war band completely unattended for far too long. Things get wacky.

It took me too long to realize that Brahms is actually the band's Shipmistress and perhaps, in the deference everyone else shows her regarding high level operational authority in the Inquisitor's absence, House Ordinator.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Shuka posted:

But the zealot doesn't charge through poo poo. Does it even count as a dodge? After getting hung up on every bitch rear end heretic or a couple stray shots while ogrynns go flying past hurling poo poo willy nilly swangin giant melee weapons its like huh maybe I'll be relic boy.
Positioning is key, always try to keep some obstacle (whether it's geometry or a pox walker horde) in between you and the enemy shooters. Also use the slide a lot since that gives you i-frames against ranged attacks.
Though lately I've just been using Chorus to stunlock every ranged enemy within a mile-wide radius, and then if my teammates haven't done the deed already I just take them all out in melee while they're all still stumbling around confused.

edit: and of course if all that doesn't help there's always Thy Wrath Be Swift, because despite what the description says it makes you immune to stuns from pretty much every source, including ranged attacks.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 25, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've only really ever played the faster roles of Zealot, but at least with that playstyle for me it's hard to not feel like you're "stuck in." Zealots get a bad rap of suiciding into stuff for a reason. Once you commit you really need those ranged things to be engaged in melee and not shooting you, you really need that toughness regen from killing stuff, you really need to use specific points for cover. I like it a lot, but for me it's definitely my most sweatiest playstyle and I usually feel like I'm riding a knife's edge.

[Edit: forgot to make the rest of my point. Where as Ogryn is most definitely not that. You're more the anchor/pivot point that the team moves around. Not slow, but certainly slower, and more ol' reliable rather than trying to consume every bad guy around for toughness like some sort of toughness vampire.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 25, 2023

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Zealot charge does not dodge things, no. Charging directly into fire will usually get you murdered. The tools for closing gaps on Zealot are sliding (zealots take zero toughness damage while sliding), cover, and suppression (i.e. fire your gun to make them cower and give you time to run at them). Well, and having competent teammates to cover your advance.

Simply sprinting also dodges ranged fire as long as you have more than zero stamina and aren't running directly towards the shooter. So you can zigzag and dodge most of it.

Conversely, it's important to have an idea of what's behind you and be able to pull out of a fight. Kiting enemies in melee is very strong, but you have to back up slowly enough - or weave in and out often enough - that they don't pull out their guns.

megane fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

megane posted:

(zealots take zero toughness damage while sliding)

Wow, that's news to me. I wish sliding felt better in this game from a control perspective - most other games are more forgiving with the timing, but I swear a good third of the time that I try sliding in DT it just doesn't register at all. More practice I suppose.