Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I don't think keeping a (currently) mediocre coach because the next hire might be worse is necessarily the right move.

For sure, you should have faith in the notably experienced and savvy Seattle Seahawks owner *checks notes*, The Paul Allen Trust???, to successfully guide a new hiring process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

I'd like to say Pete has earned the right to retire on his own terms, but I don't think he'd ever do so voluntarily.

It'll be a big bummer when he does leave, I feel like he brings such a unique culture to the NFL and players across the board seem to really love playing for him. So many coaches are just assholes or weirdo nerds and I've always appreciated having Pete's positive energy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pete should retire a 49er.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

So that $800 price tag Collinsworth was talking about was pretty accurate?

at $36 a pound that's 22 pounds of fish, and he said he bought two fish. Alaskan King salmon, head off but otherwise whole, are easily 11lbs each and actually can get twice that at the high end. So that's totally believable that he bought two fish for $800.

So

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Edna Mode posted:

I'd like to say Pete has earned the right to retire on his own terms, but I don't think he'd ever do so voluntarily.

It'll be a big bummer when he does leave, I feel like he brings such a unique culture to the NFL and players across the board seem to really love playing for him. So many coaches are just assholes or weirdo nerds and I've always appreciated having Pete's positive energy.

Yeah, there's no chance whoever follows Pete will be anywhere near as successful or popular. When he goes, the team is going to the cellar for the next 20 years.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

Pete should retire a 49er.

Or go to the Rams for a year and then come back and still be pretty good.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Mustached Demon posted:

Deer are way overpopulated because of a lack of predators like wolves and cougars.

Results in deer wrecking up whatever they live near. Particularly agriculture and cars. Probably doesn't help with the spread of that prion disease either.

On the east coast, certainly, but that's not the case out west. And coyotes take care of deer all across the country.

I agree deer can be pests, but they certainly have predators helping cull the herd.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I don't think keeping a (currently) mediocre coach because the next hire might be worse is necessarily the right move.

Pretty much

If you're going to move on, it's always better to do it too early instead of too late. If you think you'll suck for a decade without him, while you've underperformed the last year or two (this would be three in a row) with him, underperforming another three years with him doesn't get rid of that "suck for a decade without him" option, it just adds three more wasted years onto it

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mustached Demon posted:

Deer are way overpopulated because of a lack of predators like wolves and cougars.

Results in deer wrecking up whatever they live near. Particularly agriculture and cars. Probably doesn't help with the spread of that prion disease either.

They're also probably the biggest reservoir for ticks, so gently caress them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Irrespective of whether it’s time to move on from Pete even in his current form he’s better than mediocre. He’s a good coach but no longer top tier.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Josh McDaniels will happily take over for Pete "Gum Chucker" Carroll.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Canned Sunshine posted:

They're also probably the biggest reservoir for ticks, so gently caress them.

I wish I still had the picture I took of a deer our friend harvested back in the day that was RIDDLED with ticks. I mean, they were everywhere; like clumps of them - I've never seen anything like it. It was about 65 degrees F in late November, so that didn't help. :shudder:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

I wish I still had the picture I took of a deer our friend harvested back in the day that was RIDDLED with ticks. I mean, they were everywhere; like clumps of them - I've never seen anything like it. It was about 65 degrees F in late November, so that didn't help. :shudder:

Ugh that'd give me nightmares for life. When we adopted our dog from a rescue, she wasn't house or crate trained, so we were dropping her off at the person who had fostered her. One Saturday morning I noticed a little black spec on her snout, which turned out to be a tick. We then realized that there were dozens of them, the nymphs and juveniles, crawling all over her and off of her. Found them on the sofa, chairs, the table, up some walls.

It turned out that the foster parent was one of the "nothing on or in dogs except what's natural" types, who had family in a forested/wooded area of Prescott, and so her dogs were regularly getting infested and bringing them home. She even admitted that her back yard had been treated multiple times because of tick infestations (in the Phoenix area, mind you).

Yeah, we got her on frontline for several months, treated our place, etc., but even now that freaks me the hell out.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Peachfart posted:

Quoting for the day Pete retires and his replacement is worse in every way.

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Yup. I fully recognize that the next HC/FO could be bad. But Pete is also bad, right now. The last time they got past the wildcard was 2019. The last time they got past the divisional was 2014.

It’s been seasons of Seahawks teams that are beautifully wildcard tier. This has given fans the illusion that the team has been *so close* to turning the corner and becoming a contender again. But it has not been the case and will not be the case.

I want to win championships and that’s not going to happen with PCJS in the modern nfl.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Irrespective of whether it’s time to move on from Pete even in his current form he’s better than mediocre. He’s a good coach but no longer top tier.

Even if we assume he’s a good coach, which I think is a stretch of an argument in 2023, he’s a poo poo de facto gm.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Pete Carroll will neither retire, nor die, until he can achieve his ultimate goal.

The purest scorigami.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Even if we assume he’s a good coach, which I think is a stretch of an argument in 2023, he’s a poo poo de facto gm.

Yep, and ask the Pats fans here how infuriating that can be to deal with. Especially knowing the only way to get rid of the GM is to get rid of the HC because he'll never just stop being the GM part willingly

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Getting a team to the playoffs consistently is really hard. There’s like a dozen people who can do that and if your coach is one then they’re pretty good. There’s just another tier of truly elite coaches who make the merely good ones look pretty bad by comparison.

I also think calling Pete the de facto GM isn’t really true. It’s not a Belichick situation, Schneider is very involved and I don’t think he’s a hostage to Pete’s whims, I think he’s doing what he wants.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Getting a team to the playoffs consistently is really hard. There’s like a dozen people who can do that and if your coach is one then they’re pretty good. There’s just another tier of truly elite coaches who make the merely good ones look pretty bad by comparison.

I also think calling Pete the de facto GM isn’t really true. It’s not a Belichick situation, Schneider is very involved and I don’t think he’s a hostage to Pete’s whims, I think he’s doing what he wants.

Pete is the executive vice president and has final control over personnel decisions. He’s the de facto gm.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Pete is the executive vice president and has final control over personnel decisions. He’s the de facto gm.

Pretty much every established coach in the league has finally control over personnel decisions. That’s not the same as being the GM.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Canned Sunshine posted:

Ugh that'd give me nightmares for life. When we adopted our dog from a rescue, she wasn't house or crate trained, so we were dropping her off at the person who had fostered her. One Saturday morning I noticed a little black spec on her snout, which turned out to be a tick. We then realized that there were dozens of them, the nymphs and juveniles, crawling all over her and off of her. Found them on the sofa, chairs, the table, up some walls.

It turned out that the foster parent was one of the "nothing on or in dogs except what's natural" types, who had family in a forested/wooded area of Prescott, and so her dogs were regularly getting infested and bringing them home. She even admitted that her back yard had been treated multiple times because of tick infestations (in the Phoenix area, mind you).

Yeah, we got her on frontline for several months, treated our place, etc., but even now that freaks me the hell out.

That's brutal.

People who don't take care of their pets are awful people. :(

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Given the ownership situation being in transition, I think the only realistic option would be to gently recommend to Pete that he retire, and to hand over the keys to the kingdom to Schneider. Let him hire a coach and find out what he has learned in the last decade.
It's not like the ownership trust can evaluate and hire a good coach and GM starting over from scratch.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

DancingMachine posted:

Given the ownership situation being in transition, I think the only realistic option would be to gently recommend to Pete that he retire, and to hand over the keys to the kingdom to Schneider. Let him hire a coach and find out what he has learned in the last decade.
It's not like the ownership trust can evaluate and hire a good coach and GM starting over from scratch.

They could hire someone to run a search.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pete is fine. His qb is not. If he had a better qb, he would look like a better coach.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chris James 2 posted:

Pretty much

If you're going to move on, it's always better to do it too early instead of too late. If you think you'll suck for a decade without him, while you've underperformed the last year or two (this would be three in a row) with him, underperforming another three years with him doesn't get rid of that "suck for a decade without him" option, it just adds three more wasted years onto it

This is unbelievably bad logic. It’s not like there’s an actual timer and you just get a good coach and roster automatically after x years of penance. The point is there just are not all that many good coaches so if you have one and ditch him to try and get a “great” one you will likely fail and go a long time before you get another good one. In fact you may never

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Redeye Flight posted:

Pete Carroll will neither retire, nor die, until he can achieve his ultimate goal.

Proving Bush did 9/11

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Waltzing Along posted:

Pete is fine. His qb is not. If he had a better qb, he would look like a better coach.

That’s true of every coach. Thats my entire point. The majority of his time in Seattle was built on Russ. The historical success, post LOB-era wasn’t due primarily to Pete. The success was due to having a franchise qb (and some external factors).

Teams with a franchise qb should be above .500.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Russ will have a winning record again before the Seahawks' next playoff win. I'm a Bronco hater and take no pleasure in reporting this

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/HustleChillson/status/1728480839640785349?t=MZDJ1pHqy2qoYh7H1Z5lfA&s=19

Seahawks still above .500 and people acting like we need to clean house itt lol

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

They won’t be above .500 three weeks from now. Stomping teams like the Giants to buoy up the win rate is not impressive. It’s another season where there’s no real progress made towards being a contender. They look better than the bad teams and look worse than the good teams.

Ultimately the team probably ends up somewhere around 8 wins. Maybe we get a wild card playoff loss.

Change is needed.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

r/49ers calls for Shanahan to be fired at halftime if they don’t score a TD on every play but also criticizes him if they do that since it leaves too much time on the clock. I got Facebook ads for some Broncos fanpage crowing about they are the best team in the league and how Russ is the MVP after they finally started squeaking out some wins. The insane overreactions to a couple of games or even plays is wearisome.

I don’t think Pete and the Seahawks are going to win the Super Bowl any time soon, but over performing relative to your talent is the sign that the coaching is still good.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

King Hong Kong posted:

r/49ers calls for Shanahan to be fired at halftime if they don’t score a TD on every play but also criticizes him if they do that since it leaves too much time on the clock. I got Facebook ads for some Broncos fanpage crowing about they are the best team in the league and how Russ is the MVP after they finally started squeaking out some wins. The insane overreactions to a couple of games or even plays is wearisome.

I don’t think Pete and the Seahawks are going to win the Super Bowl any time soon, but over performing relative to your talent is the sign that the coaching is still good.

I'm not a Fire Kyle after every drive, but he does need to learn to RUN THE GODDAMN BALL WHEN YOU'RE UP BY 3 SCORES or more. 28-3 should have taught him that lesson.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

trilljester posted:

I'm not a Fire Kyle after every drive, but he does need to learn to RUN THE GODDAMN BALL WHEN YOU'RE UP BY 3 SCORES or more. 28-3 should have taught him that lesson.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Also, Mitchell is pretty good and can handle clock-killing duties.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

King Hong Kong posted:

What do you think is your he evidence that they are over performing relative to their talent?

That sounds comparative but I don’t mean it that way. Curious on your outside perspective :)

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

King Hong Kong posted:

r/49ers calls for Shanahan to be fired at halftime if they don’t score a TD on every play but also criticizes him if they do that since it leaves too much time on the clock.

I think I see the reason why

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

feller posted:

Also, Mitchell is pretty good and can handle clock-killing duties.

I was happy with how much work Mitchell got against Seattle, especially in the second half. Mitchell is almost as dangerous as CMC when the lead blockers win their matchups, so it's nice to see him getting the touches. He could and should get a more when we're up by two scores

For numbers, CMC had 19 carries for 114 and 2 TDS. Mitchell had 7 for 39. 6 yd average vs 5.57. Definitely give it to Mitchell more.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

mllaneza posted:

I was happy with how much work Mitchell got against Seattle, especially in the second half. Mitchell is almost as dangerous as CMC when the lead blockers win their matchups, so it's nice to see him getting the touches. He could and should get a more when we're up by two scores

For numbers, CMC had 19 carries for 114 and 2 TDS. Mitchell had 7 for 39. 6 yd average vs 5.57. Definitely give it to Mitchell more.

Agreed. If anything, just to give CMC some rest and preserve him for postseason play.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Mitchell is made of glass but in these big blowouts it is nice to see him and Mason get carries. Shanahan used Mitchell well last game, the balance was perfect basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Redeye Flight posted:

The purest scorigami.

A 6-1 final score :aaa: