Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Axetrain posted:

I'm playing a boring UNE run, is it possible or wise to ally/federate with a gestalt machine empire next door? I haven't played in like a year+ and I can't remember if that's a thing.

Pretty sure they can be added to a federation. Non-homicidal machines are great allies, since machine empires are generally stronger/more advanced than organics when run by the AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The breaching the planes achievement image is wonderful. Well done, Paradox. Very good job well done. It's like saying hello.jpg to a very old friend.... :unsmith:

In fairness probably 99.9% of people use mods and are too lazy to mod achievements in

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
WTF Paradox?

e: also the hotkeys they chose for switching tabs are horrible, hopefully they're rebindable.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

RandomBlue posted:

WTF Paradox?

e: also the hotkeys they chose for switching tabs are horrible, hopefully they're rebindable.

I don't know what you mean by your post, it has always been like this. Trying to re-join your old save after a big update was always a crapshoot, imho

It's why I always abandon any games I had running when new DLC drops and restart fresh on the updated game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sloober posted:

In fairness probably 99.9% of people use mods and are too lazy to mod achievements in

I don't know what this has to do with that post exactly, but based on basically every game ever only a very small minority of the playerbase ever mods their games. Only a minority play games on Ironman as well though, which is an achievement requirement for this one.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Libluini posted:

I don't know what you mean by your post, it has always been like this. Trying to re-join your old save after a big update was always a crapshoot, imho

It's why I always abandon any games I had running when new DLC drops and restart fresh on the updated game.

This is a patch update though, not a major update. Maybe it's just boilerplate they put on all their patch notes. :shrug:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Playing driven exterminators and doing well. Killed off one of the fallen emps so sitting on 2 ring worlds and 3 or 4 relics, along with a ton of normals. Galactic power surge? Cool, unbidden are showing up. *unpause*
Guess its time for war in heaven too.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

RandomBlue posted:

This is a patch update though, not a major update. Maybe it's just boilerplate they put on all their patch notes. :shrug:

3.9.x -> 3.10.x Paradox considers a major update. 3.x -> 4.x is for massive changes like removing all the non-hyperdrive travel types.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

binge crotching posted:

3.9.x -> 3.10.x Paradox considers a major update. 3.x -> 4.x is for massive changes like removing all the non-hyperdrive travel types.

I'm talking about the 3.10.1 update released today.

e: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/281990/view/3882727783061095057?l=english

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

ilkhan posted:

Playing driven exterminators and doing well. Killed off one of the fallen emps so sitting on 2 ring worlds and 3 or 4 relics, along with a ton of normals. Galactic power surge? Cool, unbidden are showing up. *unpause*
Guess its time for war in heaven too.

The pro move is to kill the portal for the Unbidden and then let their ships kill everything in their path that isn't you.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

They put that disclaimer on every patch, along with the instructions on how to revert to a previous version if you have an issue. It's not a new thing

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Did they seriously not put an "all" option on the new outliner for the early game when it doesnt loving matter enough to split tabs?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

There was a dev post yesterday stating that the patch they released today is identical to the test build.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Deuce posted:

Did they seriously not put an "all" option on the new outliner for the early game when it doesnt loving matter enough to split tabs?

Lol that is an excellent point, and they did not. The division is also hard-coded, meaning (the 100% required) 1080p interface mod can't add one either.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Outliner is getting more improvement in the next patch or two too.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Outliner is getting more improvement in the next patch or two too.

Pray they do not improve it further, at this rate :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I am still actually enjoying the astral rift poo poo,

Needs some balancing lol but at least my economy is booming. Also the astral science labs not having a strategic resource upkeep is actually very nice as it allows me to pump up my physics research and get some more of the other two as well without needing to accomodate silly things like... upgrading my planet admin or making sure I have a gas plant to spare.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Astral rifts are archaeology sites done right. It's amazing how smooth the astral rift experience feels compared to never having minor artifacts to do anything interesting ever

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Yeah, getting pop ups every 3 months "time to do something with this massive pile of astral threads" sure is an improvement.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

scaterry posted:

Astral rifts are archaeology sites done right. It's amazing how smooth the astral rift experience feels compared to never having minor artifacts to do anything interesting ever

The ancient refinery is actually a pretty sweet use of minor artifacts.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ulmont posted:

The ancient refinery is actually a pretty sweet use of minor artifacts.
put them everywhere, never worry about rare mats.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I was planning to start a new game but decided to hold off for a bit while I took care of some IRL stuff that needed doing. Kinda glad I did in retrospect.

How are things looking post-patch - is it still super buggy and unstable or are things at least functioning as they should for the most part now.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I think Stellaris might be starting to lose me. Trade getting nerfed into oblivion from 3.9, the leaders getting reduced to a homogenous slurry of tiny useless percentages, and the ongoing vassal meta that sidesteps the entire economy are rather bad signs about their willingness or ability to balance things.

At least a lot of this stuff is still easy to mod.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I hope Guilli isn't abandoning their technology mod. Their excellent planet features mod got updated pretty quickly but there's been no sign of movement on the technology one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The trade nerf upgraded my enjoyment of the game by like 230%, because the amount of trade you could get was just stupid.

After some point, none of my normal empires ever needed any technicians ever again, there were just shitloads of trade rolling in, and that was me not even trying very hard to hover up trade goods.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
One of my big balance complaints is how not impactful crises are by default but you can solve that somewhat by just cranking up the slider so :shrug:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Libluini posted:

The trade nerf upgraded my enjoyment of the game by like 230%, because the amount of trade you could get was just stupid.

After some point, none of my normal empires ever needed any technicians ever again, there were just shitloads of trade rolling in, and that was me not even trying very hard to hover up trade goods.

It did need to come down, but currently trade just isn't worth it. You have to optimize every single aspect of your empire towards it and even then it barely keeps up with the techs/production buildings that technicians get.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I hope Guilli isn't abandoning their technology mod. Their excellent planet features mod got updated pretty quickly but there's been no sign of movement on the technology one.

Waiting for outliner and modifiers to be fixed, until then stellaris is dead to me.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Guilliman posted:

Waiting for outliner and modifiers to be fixed, until then stellaris is dead to me.

Your mods are phenomenal, so hopefully they get those things fixed soon.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Guilliman posted:

Haha, I had no idea you were on here. Thanks for all the memories

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Guilliman posted:

Your mods are so good I consider them must haves to start any playthrough Thanks for all the hard work to make my space map painter experience better.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
The secret scaling power of trade is that commercial agreements with allies multiply the value of trade produced in an empire by an ever-increasing amount.

The rule is basically just "10% of your trade value is created out of the ether and given to everyone you have a commercial pact with".

So if 5 empires have the same trade and all sign pacts with eachother (or are in a federation that gives one for free), then they each get 150% effective trade income.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Guilliman posted:

make sure they know how you feel about it if you haven't already. they might actually care what you think. lmao

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jabarto posted:

It did need to come down, but currently trade just isn't worth it. You have to optimize every single aspect of your empire towards it and even then it barely keeps up with the techs/production buildings that technicians get.
The problem is trade giving you straight energy. If it did something like give you spacebux that could only be used to pay wages and buy stuff in the market then you wouldn't have the direct technician/trade comparison.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Splicer posted:

The problem is trade giving you straight energy. If it did something like give you spacebux that could only be used to pay wages and buy stuff in the market then you wouldn't have the direct technician/trade comparison.

the big issue with trade value is that you CAN do really dumb things with it that you can't do with just straight technicians. More importantly it is a lot easier to get leaders that can seriously buff your trade... everywhere, not just on one planet. If they did things that would make technicians/miners more flexible than they are I feel it would help. Look at farmers and agrarian idyll/anglers, those civics both radically change how farming districts impact your empires function. If there was a civic that maybe had technicans give a low amount of science for example, or made miners into the scrap miners that show up where you can get some alloys at a low rate. Those make those jobs more interesting and potentially valuable.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Macichne Leainig posted:

One of my big balance complaints is how not impactful crises are by default but you can solve that somewhat by just cranking up the slider so :shrug:

Get Aggressive Crisis Engine. It turns the crises into genuinely existential threats by making them actually do something.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Stellaris is bound on the foundation of post-scarcity "energy" credits instead of having a real currency like we understand it. The problem is in having poo poo that gets quantified as "energy" credits despite not being energy or even a source of energy, like gem deposits or "trade goods".

Based on this very neat idea of basing the worth of your currency on your energy production should make things a lot easier, like making it possible to trade with a robot hivemind, since everyone can use energy, and transfering the equivalent of X energy credits for y resources should still be possible, hivemind or not.

But then Stellaris drops the ball by confusing its own lore with contradictory game mechanics. The result: Stupid outcomes like being able to replace power plants with traders. Like, your city has brown outs? Solution: Plop down an interstellar trading post and feed space dollars directly into the energy network. (I'm imagining some sort of elaborate pumping system here.)

Ironically, you could still have your cake and eat it too by making your energy production produce your credits, instead of being used as money directly. That way, your currency is still based on your energy production, but now you can have an economic crisis without everyone's lights going out at the same time.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Libluini posted:

Ironically, you could still have your cake and eat it too by making your energy production produce your credits, instead of being used as money directly.

I don't actually think it would be good if Stellaris modelled bitcoin

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PittTheElder posted:

Get Aggressive Crisis Engine. It turns the crises into genuinely existential threats by making them actually do something.

I am guessing this is not Ironman compatible :sigh:

gently caress me for wanting achievements for once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Macichne Leainig posted:

I am guessing this is not Ironman compatible :sigh:

gently caress me for wanting achievements for once

There are guides to making non-cheevo save games cheevo compatible via text editor. Just google it.