Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Space vent it is, then!
Though I will note the wiki suggests an interesting use of Natural Gas Generators as a heat source in a steam turbine (the polluted water they excrete will instantly boil too, purifying it)

Because of math rounding errors, the polluted water released that instantly boils will not release any dirt either (as less than 1g can't exist).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Polluted water is good too. Nice to have a reliable source for it outside of piss.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah but although I’ve probably played 100 games of ONI, this is the first one I’ve taken to (close to) cycle 1000.
It’s nearly post-scarcity (boo sulfur). Water is the least of concerns.

Now, apparently, so is oil, petroleum (got over 150 tons of plastic), coal, solar panels, even rocks (no more hatches, switched to farming as a way to get rid of excess water),

But maybe I’ll pipe the gas through the teleporter thingy and just make waste power to heat up the cool slush geyser so the water is warm enough to sieve. But then I end up with even more water I don’t need, lol.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Clearly the next step is to melt open a rocket capsule and store an entire loving ocean in there

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
And fill it with 30 hot tubs, a jukebox, and 300 tons of barbecue.. Then blast off.

I think I’ll just do three things I’ve never done — make super coolant, LOX, and liquid hydrogen — then call it a wrap.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

From latest patch notes:

Patch Notes posted:

Removed from Industrial Machinery category: Conveyor Loader...

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Jesus loving finally christ it’s only been seven years

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The new thing everyone is complaining about is the high pressure air vents are now industrial. Bricked a few people's rocket layouts.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Double posting: the new new thing to complain about is this latest patch ruined everyone's pacu ranches.

Never built one so I really don't care.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Been 3 years since I looked at this place

Get the feeling it will be significantly harder to remember everything going on vs just starting over

Was it a mod that let me zoom out way further? I don't remember it being this bad

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Yeah there’s a mod. I also logged into an end game world and saw everything was broken so I just bailed.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Alt+S puts you in screenshot mode.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey folks I've been following Magnet's ONI playlist https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlhN4dECgNlAiXIRKbXn4YbUJ49CunFsN&si=4HNXMg6Wg0Hxow_8

Thing is, my base is kind of overheating now as the mealwood is too hot (86F) to grow. What to do? I just found the ice biome if that matters.

Any help much appreciated!

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Research tempshift plates and build them out of ice for emergency cooling of crops.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

For a medium-term solution you can circulate water or another working fluid through the area around your crops and then via insulated pipe to the ice biome to radiate again (use regular granite pipes for heat-exchange sections).

Crops are your main temperature vulnerability, they need to be removed to a contained area pretty quickly once you’ve got some basic stability. If you choose to try and farm something which needs light, pay attention to how much heat lighting radiates.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah heat is usually #3 on the list of things that kill bases (after oxygen and food). If you have radiant pipes unlocked you can run some through your farming area and your main water tank, which will help for a bit; even without radiant pipes you can still move some temperature around with regular pipes.

Insulate off any areas of your base that generate heat - your dupes can take a little heat, even if the plants can't. This includes batteries which are often an unexpected source of heat, but also power generation, kitchen, and pretty much any machine that makes things. You also want to wall off areas that are naturally warmer, and/or leave as much abyssalite in place as you can; doors will conduct heat but vacuum won't, so it's very common to have double liquid locks (or sealed airlocks, if you run one of those mods) with a vacuum in between to traverse between hot and cold areas. The hydrogen/chlorine/drecko biomes are the most likely warmer biome you'll encounter early on.

For a quick fix you can dig out 800kg of ice (probably about 2-3 tiles) and build a tempshift plate out of ice in the problematic area. This will almost instantly melt into water so make sure it won't leak out into areas that would be problematic to get wet; once the temperature of the water and the surrounding tiles evens out you can mop it up.

Ice, like every material in full tile form, loses half its mass when excavated. So the ideal situation is to run heat directly into the ice biome, melting the ice in place, since then you retain the full amount of thermal mass (and also get twice as much water out in the end). It can also help to run your oxygen pipes through the ice biome, but for the most part you want to be using liquids to move heat around. You can just run pipes through the open spaces in the biome, but this has the issue of having to constantly rebuild pipes as the ice melts, since air won't conduct the heat very quickly. I found it's best to drip the water over the ice, and pump the water back out the bottom later.

The ice biome is just a patch; eventually you'll run out of cold stuff and be back into having heat problems again. So you'll want to look into sustainable cooling solutions. An aquatuner cooling loop is generally the best way, but to really do that effectively you need steel. Next best thing is a cool liquid geyser of some kind (polluted water or salt water are most common); these can provide a decent amount of cooling but can't really sustain a large base long-term. Don't bother with liquid CO2 geysers unless you need the CO2 for something; the thermal mass is just too minuscule to make a difference.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Adenoid Dan posted:

Research tempshift plates and build them out of ice for emergency cooling of crops.
To help, if your crops are one big line of like 10 or more tiles, build one raised tile at both ends (so your farm tiles are essentially a bowl), then build the shift plate out of ice in the middle. Then when it instantly melts, the ice-cold water will be contained and more mass will continue to cool your farm tiles for a while. Plus obviously it’s easier to mop up eventually.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks everyone! I'll give this a shot. While I have 73K of food, it's steadily going down so I gotta do something before they starve.

One note: I'm on the No Sweat version so everything happens more slowly than in a normal game. Just want to figure out how to do stuff without having to constantly restart.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
this game has gotten me good. my first base had a food death spiral around day 102 and 18 dupes. I decided I had too many and am around day 70 with 7

my current problem is that I sealed the base and forgot about my algae terrariums. pressure in the base is now low 4k and everyone's mad about their ears

my next problem is cooling and getting to a geyser I can barely make out. I'm not sure what the actual goal of this game is but disaster simulator is it

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Just to make it clear, ice biomes do not produce any cold or chill. It is cold and once you pump enough heat into it, it won't cool down again. Seen some people who think ice biomes make more cold. It's a finite heat sink.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Thanks everyone! I'll give this a shot. While I have 73K of food, it's steadily going down so I gotta do something before they starve.

One note: I'm on the No Sweat version so everything happens more slowly than in a normal game. Just want to figure out how to do stuff without having to constantly restart.

You do not want to be stockpiling that much food typically no way a chunk of that isn't going stale/bad before you use it.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Mayveena posted:

Hey folks I've been following Magnet's ONI playlist https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlhN4dECgNlAiXIRKbXn4YbUJ49CunFsN&si=4HNXMg6Wg0Hxow_8

Thing is, my base is kind of overheating now as the mealwood is too hot (86F) to grow. What to do? I just found the ice biome if that matters.

Any help much appreciated!
Think of the game as a bit of a slowly ticking timer with a few phases of challenges. Most require researching, building, and exploring.

1) Make food before the starting and "free" (hexalent) food runs out. Mealwood is easiest, about 3 plants per dupe.

2) Make oxygen before the starting oxylite disappears. Oxygen diffuser with algae is easiest, though water->electrolyzer is more sustainable.

3) Deal with any toxic waste building up; setup a plumbing loop to purify water, scrub CO2 building up at the bottom of the base, and harvest hydrogen gas building up at the top.

After this point the game slows down and stabilizes a bit, with less immediate pressures threatening collapse. You can go more slowly and research a ton of techs, for instance. You can also build more industry (refining metal, power plants)

4) As you build industry, deal with waste heat. Digging into the cold biome and finding a way to pipe heat there will last you a long time. Insulating away the hot parts of the map helps too.

Throughout you can adapt your designs to run more efficiently in various ways, including fully automating some tasks through conveyor rails and sensors if you like. Your dupes will also get better at their jobs through skills, move through your base quicker, etc.

Eventually, some resource may run low. There are exotic biomes with usable resources but other tradeoffs (germs, extreme heat, toxic gasses). There are also various renewable resources (geysers, volcanos, etc), as well as weird production chains you can setup to produce something (eg coal becomes renewable via hatch ranching).

The game keeps rewarding exploration and tweaking designs, right up to the end game when you're exploring deep space and unlocking other techs or bringing back space supplies.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Dunno-Lars posted:

Just to make it clear, ice biomes do not produce any cold or chill. It is cold and once you pump enough heat into it, it won't cool down again. Seen some people who think ice biomes make more cold. It's a finite heat sink.
The wheezewort plants there do generate negative heat, but you can move those elsewhere. Aside from helping magic away some heat, they're a very convenient source of controlled "free" radiation, which is useful for a radbolt generator or even degerming a wastewater tank.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Mayveena posted:

No Sweat mode is interesting, as it makes all the implied timers slower - dupes use less oxygen, eat less food, etc. The other systems in the game work the same; there's just as many germs, they're just less likely to make the dupes sick.

The "heat" timer, however, functions similarly - the same as crops fail at the same temperature - though you do have less resource pressure forcing you to expand to hotter areas of the map.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ShadowHawk posted:

The wheezewort plants there do generate negative heat, but you can move those elsewhere. Aside from helping magic away some heat, they're a very convenient source of controlled "free" radiation, which is useful for a radbolt generator or even degerming a wastewater tank.

Ice biomes also contain AETNs, which don't run on their own but are generally pretty easy to get going if you already have electrolyzers running for oxygen generation. It's not the best source of cooling (it's equivalent to about 7 wheezeworts), but like wheezeworts it does do straight up heat deletion rather than simply moving it around. It also has a tricky property that it will delete the heat of the hydrogen used to fuel it as well (since it just removes it from the map when consumed and has no byproducts), so you can get more out of it if you have some kind of cooling setup that transfers the heat from your base into a room full of hydrogen which is then pumped into the AETN to be removed from the map. It does not consume it very quickly, however so you want to make sure the pipes used to supply the hydrogen are insulated and ideally short, since if they're full of hot hydrogen it may end up leeching more heat back out into the environment than is being removed by the AETN.

Ultimately though all of that is just a stopgap solutions since the best way of dealing with heat in the game is using steam turbines, which don't make things cold but do delete a ton of heat energy as part of their normal operation (they require input steam at 125 degrees or higher, and no matter how hot the input will output water at 95 degrees, taking 10% of the heat energy lost into itself and removing the rest). So real endgame cooling setups tend to involve a cooling loop that uses aquatuners to pull heat energy out of the coolant and dump it into an insulated steam room, where turbines will be used to convert the heat energy into electricity (the turbines themselves also get hot so they tend to require their own cooling loop).

GCFungus has a great tutorial series of short videos that cover pretty much every topic in the game, here's the video on cooling which has a good setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DreW0beBZGo

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I'm using the polluted water/liquid reservoir/deodorizer trick for oxygen, seems like an exploit though, I wonder if they'll nerf it so when you deconstruct the liquid resevoir, the water will go everywhere instead of into convenient bottles.

Question, I used to store slime in water so it wouldn't gas. But Magnet didn't do that, he basically puts a bunch of deodorizers around it. Why not store slime in water?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
They’re doing the same as you are with the polluted water. Using it as a source of “free” polluted oxygen.

Me, I use water submersion because I’m going to want to keep that slime for something later, and slime runs out.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 26, 2023

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

They’re doing the same as you are with the polluted water. Using it as a source of “free” polluted oxygen.

Me, I use water submersion because I’m going to want to keep that slime for something later, and slime runs out.

I was thinking the same thing. I was considering harvesting dark caps to grow because they can stand a higher temperature and they need slime. Thanks.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Mayveena posted:

I was thinking the same thing. I was considering harvesting dark caps to grow because they can stand a higher temperature and they need slime. Thanks.
Yep, mushrooms are a really good 2nd food to move to. Bit of fuss handling slime/germs, but no water required is a big plus.
Pro tip: instead if boxing in your base, just box in your farms to keep them cool. Build an ice machine somewhere, and a single ice temperature shift plate in the middle will drop the room by several degrees when you need to.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I got past the initial heat hump and completed the colony's water filtration system. polluted water first cycles through chlorine dunked fluid reservoirs then sent to the cold zone to serve as cooling medium for the rest of the base. lots of trial and error messing with automation but the whole thing is hands off and the only thing that requires power is the water sieve at the end before storing the water

til; liquids from a reservoir don't need a pump to get things moving just an output. the basic signal switch can be toggled manually and would have saved some dupe time if I had incorporated them earlier

next goals are to start using more automation, conveyors and robots to get to serious excavation projects

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

til; liquids from a reservoir don't need a pump to get things moving just an output. the basic signal switch can be toggled manually and would have saved some dupe time if I had incorporated them earlier

This is a general concept to get the hang of with both liquid and gas pipes - any pipe that has both an output and an input on it will cause the fluid to flow from output to input. If you have a loop of pipe, and the pipe is completely full except for one tile, you can make it flow by having a bridge somewhere along it. This also applies to cooling loops when you get to aquatuners.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Some unintuitive physics that becomes very relevant in this game: water carries a lot of heat.

Like, 2 liters of boiling water is more embedded heat vs room temperature than a liter of molten steel, even though the steel is about a thousand degrees hotter.

And, conversely, a relatively small amount of cold water can cool down a lot of things. It's just a fantastic radiator fluid all around, unless you need something colder than 0 or hotter than 100.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
at above 100, high pressure steam is also probably by far the best fluid you can use until you get access to supercoolant

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah there's a lot of weird stuff you can do entirely mechanically by taking advantage of this. There's a way to set up liquid/gas filters that don't actually use the built-in "filter" object at all, by taking advantage of some of the weird quirks of pipe flows and packets.

Another important thing to learn about pipes is that a 3 or 4 way intersection of pipe will behave differently than a straight pipe with a bridge off of it - intersections will split packets evenly between the "downstream" pipes (in a "one packet goes left, the next goes right" way rather than dividing each packet in half, the middle pipe in the image below), but packets entering a pipe section with a bridge or other type of input on it will always travel off via the bridge, unless the output end of the bridge is blocked (the right pipe in the image below). This distinction is important and both options are useful for different things - the intersection behaviour is what you want if you want to distribute a single flow evenly across multiple different things (although bear in mind that because of the splitting behaviour you need to lay it out very carefully if you want the distribution to be truly even), and the bridge behaviour is useful if you want to set up an "overflow" behaviour where you normally want all the liquid/gas going to one place, but able to be routed off somewhere else if that place is full.

Another useful pipe trick is "bridging on", which you'll see a lot of in tutorials for setting up liquid/gas loops of all sorts. You can set up a closed loop using a bridge/valve somewhere on the loop to control the direction, and then have a second bridge that outputs from some main line into to the loop to fill it up. That setup will always fill the loop exactly perfectly without clogging, so it will be a continuous circuit of packets that keep moving within the loop (the left pipe in the image below).

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 27, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah there's a lot of weird stuff you can do entirely mechanically by taking advantage of this. There's a way to set up liquid/gas filters that don't actually use the built-in "filter" object at all, by taking advantage of some of the weird quirks of pipe flows and packets.

Another important thing to learn about pipes is that a 3 or 4 way intersection of pipe will behave differently than a straight pipe with a bridge off of it - intersections will split packets evenly between the "downstream" pipes (in a "one packet goes left, the next goes right" way rather than dividing each packet in half, the middle pipe in the image below), but packets entering a pipe section with a bridge or other type of input on it will always travel off via the bridge, unless the output end of the bridge is blocked (the right pipe in the image below). This distinction is important and both options are useful for different things - the intersection behaviour is what you want if you want to distribute a single flow evenly across multiple different things (although bear in mind that because of the splitting behaviour you need to lay it out very carefully if you want the distribution to be truly even), and the bridge behaviour is useful if you want to set up an "overflow" behaviour where you normally want all the liquid/gas going to one place, but able to be routed off somewhere else if that place is full.

Another useful pipe trick is "bridging on", which you'll see a lot of in tutorials for setting up liquid/gas loops of all sorts. You can set up a closed loop using a bridge/valve somewhere on the loop to control the direction, and then have a second bridge that outputs from some main line into to the loop to fill it up. That setup will always fill the loop exactly perfectly without clogging, so it will be a continuous circuit of packets that keep moving within the loop (the left pipe in the image below).

I wish I saw this post before I went on my session last night. I spent an hour trouble shooting pipes and direction problems and came to a lot of the above conclusions

til you can build a heavy-watt joint plate with over a regular wire and it won't get replaced. this caused me to tear apart my electrical grid trying to figure out what was going on

I also made a huge mistake in opening up the cavern too early and causing slime lung to get everywhere. it's like 50 cycles later and there are still pockets floating around. I'm now at day 200 with a relatively stable colony tho. I moved to Bristle Blossom hydroponics for a food source and my Hatch farms are going great. I think my biggest issue with starting this game was trying to rush up the tech tree too quickly. I'm making better low powered solutions to my problems and am now focusing on automating the lower level tasks away

next is steel production I think and figuring out how to make plastics. I need a more permanent solution to dealing with heat

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

This is a game which generally rewards being really clever (as long as you’re also paying attention to detail anyway)

Once you’re generating oxygen with regulated pressure by some means or another, handling all the basic undesirable gases, and get heat heat managed the asteroids are your fucken oyster. Lots of ways still to gently caress up, but heat death is the primary “something you did or missed 200 cycles ago became an unstoppable problem 10 cycles ago but you’ve just now noticed it” problem. Things like interruption to oxygen or food are much more obvious and alerted pretty well by the interface.

If you don’t have them out yet, gander at smart batteries and how you can stop burning coal except when you actually need the electricity.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

LonsomeSon posted:

This is a game which generally rewards being really clever (as long as you’re also paying attention to detail anyway)

Once you’re generating oxygen with regulated pressure by some means or another, handling all the basic undesirable gases, and get heat heat managed the asteroids are your fucken oyster. Lots of ways still to gently caress up, but heat death is the primary “something you did or missed 200 cycles ago became an unstoppable problem 10 cycles ago but you’ve just now noticed it” problem. Things like interruption to oxygen or food are much more obvious and alerted pretty well by the interface.

If you don’t have them out yet, gander at smart batteries and how you can stop burning coal except when you actually need the electricity.

guess who just moved their battery storage to the ice biome and didn't see this option :smith:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

It will cut your heat from power generation dramatically, always recommended for babby’s first automation.

You do get full materials back for deconstruction so all you lose is time (a lot of it, to construct and deconstruct batteries, of course).

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
do you lose the power that was in the battery when they get deconstructed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

do you lose the power that was in the battery when they get deconstructed?

Yes, but I can't imagine it being worth the mental effort of waiting until it's drained to deconstruct it.

I suppose if you really want to transfer the power from a bank of batteries to a new one you could connect them to the new ones by a transformer and deconstruct them after they drain fully. I think that would work.