Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I've got friends in Michigan who live on a flag lot with a long, straight 10' wide drive with flat, soft grass shoulders like OP's, and it's just been a magnet for dipshits (not just delivery drivers) to get stuck in. Their drive is off of a busy road that for some reason people keep going the wrong way on, so they'll pull in head-first and be averse to backing out because how busy the road is.

Drivers must be afraid of going up their lane any further to find a spot to turn around, so they'll hang a 90 turn and drive over the grass to the left, then crank the wheel 180 and back up over the grass on the other side. Wheel back around and gun it, leaving ruts on both sides 8" x 8". If they're lucky.

My friends have come home once to find a van parked sideways and abandoned across their lane, drive wheels hopelessly dug into a mud pit. No card or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Nitrox posted:

This long continuous driveway looks like an obstacle every step of the way, so why not just install a drop off container where your driveway meets the public road? Where your mailbox already is, I presume?

Ah yes, a sure fire way of having packages stolen. The box would have to be 450 feet away and not visible from the house.

The UPS driver has zero issues with my driveway. It’s not an obstacle, it’s a matter of driver skill at this point.

Are you telling me this looks difficult to navigate?

Note that they don’t have difficulty at the top, where the woods are. It’s all in the lower half where it’s straight and open.

Midjack posted:

Drivers will ignore any and all delivery instructions and leave your boxes wherever they feel like it.

This is also true. We’ve had FedEx throw packages from the still-moving truck into the driveway instead of stopping. A container at the top wouldn’t even register to people like that.

Our current USPS rural delivery driver didn’t even know where the front door to the house was and would just leave “sorry we missed you” notes in the mailbox instead of coming down the driveway and attempt delivery.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 25, 2023

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Rack it up to what people are paid to do the same job.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Colostomy Bag posted:

Rack it up to what people are paid to do the same job.

Yeah I honestly think this is the answer. UPS pays a fair wage and Amazon, well, doesn’t...

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If you pave that grassy area and cover the rightmost half of it with a garage extension, you could buy two more cars

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes, it might hit a delivery drone.

ok, but what are the downsides

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cactus Ghost posted:

ok, but what are the downsides

It's pretty mean to talk about employees this way

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

lol blows through a stop sign @ 1:50 minutes in then attempts to drive into a row of cars.

The dude in the driver's seat going on about how good Tesla's approach is while it tries to drive them into oncoming traffic - holy gently caress just admit you backed the wrong horse with your stupid loving yoke-equipped car.

Collateral Damage posted:

The most aesthetical solution is probably a big boulder on the corner, then a line of light posts along the road. If that doesn't work, dig a 1 foot deep, 2 feet wide ditch along it. When they get stuck only offer to call a recovery service, not pull them out yourself.

You know who they call when they get stuck?

That's an alley that some maps (including Amazon's) still mistakenly call a road. Dipshit in the rental van tried to keep going through, realized they couldn't make it, did a 30-point turn and then got it stuck.

Their plan was for one of them to gun it in the driver's seat while the other hung off the bumper and bounced the rear up and down.

In reverse. Four feet from a block wall.

At that point we called the cops - not because they were on our property or anything (they weren't), but because we wanted a first responder there to give EMS directions if they managed to maim themselves.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

You know who they call when they get stuck?

That's an alley that some maps (including Amazon's) still mistakenly call a road. Dipshit in the rental van tried to keep going through, realized they couldn't make it, did a 30-point turn and then got it stuck.

Their plan was for one of them to gun it in the driver's seat while the other hung off the bumper and bounced the rear up and down.

In reverse. Four feet from a block wall.

At that point we called the cops - not because they were on our property or anything (they weren't), but because we wanted a first responder there to give EMS directions if they managed to maim themselves.
So you're saying he should also set up a bunch of cameras to record the comedy and make some money from posting it on youtube?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It worked for 11'8, after all.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I'd put reflective driveway markers along the sides.

And send Amazon a bill for a lawn roller. You already have the camera.

Or put a box for packages at the road end of your driveway so they don't need to come down at all. They're easy to build or not expensive to buy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Didn't he say there's springs on his property? That has got to be annoying as hell to always have soggy rear end muddy grass, I ran a campground that had areas like that, if you tried mowing it with anything other than a weed wacker you'd put ruts in the grass and/or get stuck. Made the mistake of trying to run a zero turn through it and had to pull it out with the XJ.

I'd just put up some kind of a steel barrier if possible, or large boulders, basically anything that would damage the poo poo out of their van if they decided to ignore it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Leave the corpse of the last delivery van as a warning.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Didn't he say there's springs on his property? That has got to be annoying as hell to always have soggy rear end muddy grass, I ran a campground that had areas like that, if you tried mowing it with anything other than a weed wacker you'd put ruts in the grass and/or get stuck. Made the mistake of trying to run a zero turn through it and had to pull it out with the XJ.

I'd just put up some kind of a steel barrier if possible, or large boulders, basically anything that would damage the poo poo out of their van if they decided to ignore it.

Yup several springs in the yard. Most of the time they’re no issue and you can play with the dogs or walk on it or mow with a riding mower at full blast, but if you try and get a multi-ton delivery van on the grass it’s a different story.

If the summer is particularly wet like this year though, certain patches have to stay uncut. We left the entire lower yard un-mowed this year til all the flowers died off and the ground hardened up a bit anyway because we have bees, and I think we might just keep doing that in the future.

As far as the delivery vehicles, I might just have to get a decorative boulder or two for the corner. It’s like CINDERBLOCK+ in terms of damage

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Can I interest you in the quiet power of bell bollards for stopping idiots from cutting corners?

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1726192055830094011?t=XkJo5DHYAWV7ywFTJXH2tw&s=19

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1723425415409156196?t=PRTbw4YDlFj3FmtCFbA7tA&s=19

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1703716439293624647?t=Tb2TaOdwuKBBdsdn9_47xg&s=19

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

That one is designed to be evil.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

you have a weird definition of evil

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's a hazard perception and vehicle handling test all in one convenient package.

*edit: and the amount of new cars fitted with parking sensors I've seen with nice big creases in the back from standard sized bollards is slightly worrying. :v:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Yup several springs in the yard. Most of the time they’re no issue and you can play with the dogs or walk on it or mow with a riding mower at full blast, but if you try and get a multi-ton delivery van on the grass it’s a different story.

If the summer is particularly wet like this year though, certain patches have to stay uncut. We left the entire lower yard un-mowed this year til all the flowers died off and the ground hardened up a bit anyway because we have bees, and I think we might just keep doing that in the future.

As far as the delivery vehicles, I might just have to get a decorative boulder or two for the corner. It’s like CINDERBLOCK+ in terms of damage

I'll second (or third or whatever) the big rear end boulder idea. It will do the job just as well as a big pile of mortared together cinderblocks, but it should look a bit nicer.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
as someone who used to work for amazon, so i know how easy it is to get fired, call them up and complain especially if you have video footage and that driver will be gone in like 30 minutes. the driver will be happier after they get fired too

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cripes, just how big is this drat thing.

Stolen from Musk thread.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Colostomy Bag posted:

Stolen from Musk thread.

hopefully it's being taken to a scrapyard

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'll second (or third or whatever) the big rear end boulder idea. It will do the job just as well as a big pile of mortared together cinderblocks, but it should look a bit nicer.

Good point. Big limestone blocks in the neighborhood of like 3x4x4 and such are pretty cheap. Though frequently it's more for delivery than it is to buy them so you might as well buy a whole bunch!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Big enough that you won't be able to drive it on a normal car license in Europe, if it gets approved for sale here at all.

It weighs over 3500kg, which means you need at minimum a C1 (mediumweight cargo vehicle) license.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Yeah boulders look way better and natural, even better if you can manage to get some from a local creek bed, or "native" boulders from a landscape place.

Something steel sounds like a great idea but would look so out of place and weird in that yard

Would kinda suck tho if some of your own vehicles got nicked by them :v:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Large Testicles posted:

as someone who used to work for amazon, so i know how easy it is to get fired, call them up and complain especially if you have video footage and that driver will be gone in like 30 minutes. the driver will be happier after they get fired too

My wife did submit the video but she feels dumb complaining about some cinder blocks. I told her the cinder blocks aren’t the point, but I haven’t gotten an answer/resolution from her.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah boulders look way better and natural, even better if you can manage to get some from a local creek bed, or "native" boulders from a landscape place.

Something steel sounds like a great idea but would look so out of place and weird in that yard

Would kinda suck tho if some of your own vehicles got nicked by them :v:

Yeah, I think full-blown WWII tank traps would be pretty intimidating for the delivery guys, but they may be a bit out of place :v:.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Yeah, I think full-blown WWII tank traps would be pretty intimidating for the delivery guys, but they may be a bit out of place :v:.

It'd be kinda cool tho to just have your driveway lined with these.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

wesleywillis posted:

Good point. Big limestone blocks in the neighborhood of like 3x4x4 and such are pretty cheap. Though frequently it's more for delivery than it is to buy them so you might as well buy a whole bunch!

See if they can be bought on Amazon Prime

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

TheBacon posted:

See if they can be bought on Amazon Prime

Free prime shipping on 1500lbs of bricks

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Large Testicles posted:

goons get a guy evicted for Christmas

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

That one is designed to be evil.

Not all bollards are bastards

https://x.com/worldbollard/status/1720449720311492636

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Bollards are the only good kind of cop. They can never steal nor oppress minorities and only stop people actively being a danger to others.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

And they can be used as dildos.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes but they stop me from driving where I want so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Might as well go full Toblerone.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

wesleywillis posted:

And they can be used as dildos.

Kinda NWS?

:nws:

:nws:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Seen the same one, but I think it was for KY.

The goatman wouldn't need any lube for that.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

The goatman wouldn't need any lube for that.

This is absolutely wrong thread material, but I saw this in the wild in Pasadena a couple weekends ago and pulled over so my fiancée could get out and get a picture for me. The red circle sticker is :discourse:

charliemonster42 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

That fuckin rules.