Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Need to find an old anime of demon hunters that encounter a village where everyone parties all day and night. Some people vanish but no one cares and want to have a party again to celebrate life etc. When they discover a demon they say how everyone who came to him was sad and miserable but with his enchantment they’re all happy, why shouldn’t he feed on them as they were gonna die any way? They kill the demon and then find everyone in the village has killed themselves with the enchantment broken.

Wanted this for an October movie night but I’ll settle for a November watch with a group of friends if anyone can help me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Hughlander posted:

One that came up today...

1980s type movie. Military/FBI/Government rolls in on suburban town and sets up a mobile command center. Specifically stabilizers come out of the command post at a right angle and people run up with bolt guns to bolt them into the concrete.

I feel it's something like ET, or The Manhattan Project something like that, but couldn't find it in quick searches.

Great, now it's not letting me rest too. I'm almost certain I've seen it, but I can't quite place it. The Blob and Phantoms don't seem to be it.

Maybe The Crazies or the remake? Jurassic Park: Lost World? One of the Resident Evil films? It feels like something out of a Bay/Emmerich/Bruckheimer movie, or a lower budget rip-off of those.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hughlander posted:

1980s type movie. Military/FBI/Government rolls in on suburban town and sets up a mobile command center. Specifically stabilizers come out of the command post at a right angle and people run up with bolt guns to bolt them into the concrete.

I feel it's something like ET, or The Manhattan Project something like that, but couldn't find it in quick searches.

Could it be the first Universal Soldier film?

Hannibal Rex posted:

Great, now it's not letting me rest too. I'm almost certain I've seen it, but I can't quite place it. The Blob and Phantoms don't seem to be it.

Maybe The Crazies or the remake? Jurassic Park: Lost World? One of the Resident Evil films? It feels like something out of a Bay/Emmerich/Bruckheimer movie, or a lower budget rip-off of those.

It's occasionally done with heavy weaponry too, like in The Winter Soldier and Superman Returns

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The main characters somehow get a look into the brain/mind of another character and it's an insane acid trip, explaining why said character behaves the way they do.

I feel like it's possibly animated, maybe there's a scene like this in South Park with Mel Gibson or Saddam Hussein.

Darkman had the viewer go inside Peyton's mind

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 15, 2023

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Crackmaster posted:

I think you had the right idea from the beginning, this sounds like Cartman in South Park S4E13, "Helen Keller! The Musical":

https://southpark.cc.com/video-clips/gt3p68/south-park-in-cartman-s-mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL02_RvqJ8E

I think it's this!

Thanks for all the other suggestions though!

Hughlander posted:

Possibly Return of the Living Dead II or The Crazies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MariusLecter posted:

Need to find an old anime of demon hunters that encounter a village where everyone parties all day and night. Some people vanish but no one cares and want to have a party again to celebrate life etc. When they discover a demon they say how everyone who came to him was sad and miserable but with his enchantment they’re all happy, why shouldn’t he feed on them as they were gonna die any way? They kill the demon and then find everyone in the village has killed themselves with the enchantment broken.

Wanted this for an October movie night but I’ll settle for a November watch with a group of friends if anyone can help me out.

That sounds like something they'd do in Demon Slayer, but I assume that's too recent. So, throwing out the names of other anime where the characters frequently come to a village with a demon situation, Dororo, Inu-Yasha, Slayers, Mononoke?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Davros1 posted:

It's occasionally done with heavy weaponry too, like in The Winter Soldier and Superman Returns

Die Hard has the first iteration of it I can remember.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gripweed posted:

That sounds like something they'd do in Demon Slayer, but I assume that's too recent. So, throwing out the names of other anime where the characters frequently come to a village with a demon situation, Dororo, Inu-Yasha, Slayers, Mononoke?

This was definitely an older movie sorry forgot to say that. Don’t think it was a series. The style definitely felt like 90s era or so.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Looking for a movie that's right at the tip of my tongue.

On criterion channel maybe half a year to a year ago. Plot concerns a young woman disappearing in what I want to say was a native community in Alaska? Kind of a hauntological ghost story, long takes I think. Opening shot was a little wooden shack/church on an icy plain. Might have had 'St." In the title somewhere. Shot on film Doesn't seem to be on criterion anymore, at least that I can find.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

magic cactus posted:

Looking for a movie that's right at the tip of my tongue.

On criterion channel maybe half a year to a year ago. Plot concerns a young woman disappearing in what I want to say was a native community in Alaska? Kind of a hauntological ghost story, long takes I think. Opening shot was a little wooden shack/church on an icy plain. Might have had 'St." In the title somewhere. Shot on film Doesn't seem to be on criterion anymore, at least that I can find.

Your description sounds a lot like The Pledge.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Origami Dali posted:

Your description sounds a lot like The Pledge.

I don't think that's it. The plot had something to do with a young native girl who vanishes and then reappears in the community like a decade later, and it's from the last year maybe two at most. I distinctly remember this being on the criterion channel's "streaming premieres" section, but it seems to have vanished.

Thanks though!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Torquemada posted:

Die Hard has the first iteration of it I can remember.

I could vividly see that bolt gun shooting into the ground but couldn’t think what it was from and it was definitely die hard.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

magic cactus posted:

I don't think that's it. The plot had something to do with a young native girl who vanishes and then reappears in the community like a decade later, and it's from the last year maybe two at most. I distinctly remember this being on the criterion channel's "streaming premieres" section, but it seems to have vanished.

Thanks though!

Found it. It's Ste. Anne.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Origami Dali posted:

Found it. It's Ste. Anne.

Yeah that's it! Thanks a bunch! Not on criterion anymore but oh well. Thanks anyway, appreciate it.

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 16, 2023

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

MariusLecter posted:

This was definitely an older movie sorry forgot to say that. Don’t think it was a series. The style definitely felt like 90s era or so.
Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Darthemed posted:

Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma?

This seems to be it! Thanks :)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ruddiger posted:

I could vividly see that bolt gun shooting into the ground but couldn’t think what it was from and it was definitely die hard.

Yep, I don't think that it's anything that's been mentioned to date and it's driving me crazy.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

Yep, I don't think that it's anything that's been mentioned to date and it's driving me crazy.

Edit: gently caress NVM

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ruddiger posted:

Could you perhaps be thinking of when the Bloodhound hover truck from Gundam 08th MS Team deploys it’s ground sonar?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Pete's RV from A Goofy Movie?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
How about Freejack? The abduction sequence at the beginning has then placing a future mobile time travel unit and they might have anchored it.

Edit: on check though YouTube, they don't anchor it.

Edit 2: what about the storm chaser unit in Hurricane Heist?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Dahir insaat?

https://youtu.be/lnbl9CZ9tOI?si=MNwEixseixZ0zr_d

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Could you perhaps be thinking of when the Bloodhound hover truck from Gundam 08th MS Team deploys it’s ground sonar?

I wasn’t the op with the original question, I thought I knew what movie they were thinking of but it turned out to be die hard.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Anyone know of a movie with Richard Gere where he plays a finance person that is not Arbitrage?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Pretty woman?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Looking for whatever movie or show had someone take a police badge and show that it had a pin for stabbing. I can't remember if it's actually used. I was just watching a clip from the Late Show with Stephen Colbert, and he referenced someone being stabbed with a badge, which immediately put that oddly-familiar image in my head of someone showing a badge for stabbing.

This is one where I feel crazy and weird for thinking of it, until the source is shown, and then I can be all 'see? I didn't just think of this on my own.'

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Factors into Killer Clowns from Outer Space.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

Factors into Killer Clowns from Outer Space.

I've (sadly) never seen this.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Makes me think of the "Surviving Edged Weapons" police training videos on YouTube.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Makes me think of the "Surviving Edged Weapons" police training videos on YouTube.

I have definitely not watched any of those.

"Surviving assailants carrying fruit" is way more my speed.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
are you thinking of blood wings? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_wings

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Looking for whatever movie or show had someone take a police badge and show that it had a pin for stabbing. I can't remember if it's actually used. I was just watching a clip from the Late Show with Stephen Colbert, and he referenced someone being stabbed with a badge, which immediately put that oddly-familiar image in my head of someone showing a badge for stabbing.

This is one where I feel crazy and weird for thinking of it, until the source is shown, and then I can be all 'see? I didn't just think of this on my own.'

I'm pretty sure there's a scene in The Shield where some guys had been impersonating police and Vic, the head dirty cop, picks up one of their fake (stolen?) badges and stabbed them with it.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a scene in The Shield where some guys had been impersonating police and Vic, the head dirty cop, picks up one of their fake (stolen?) badges and stabbed them with it.

That’s the one I remember too, he uses a stolen badge from a dead cop.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

Yep. That's it. I'm a huge fan of The Shield, and that's where I saw it. Thanks, all!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This one is complicated: there is a movie that uses the Beatles' "Revolution" in its closing credits with a follow-the-bouncing-ball. That's all I can remember about it (I was very young).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Edward Mass posted:

This one is complicated: there is a movie that uses the Beatles' "Revolution" in its closing credits with a follow-the-bouncing-ball. That's all I can remember about it (I was very young).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaqkqOm_mFo

Minions.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol. gently caress

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Pretty woman?
I suppose!

We'll never know, a library patron was looking for it but had only a vague idea themselves. Thanks though!

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I'm looking for a movie from the 80s or 90s. It was made in Eastern Europe and I think it's about a detective in a seemingly utopian world who is actually a serial killer.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm not sure of how much interest this is, but I wrote to Channel 4 to see if they could help locate the short I'd posted about. They couldn't, but something about the way I worded my description helped me crack the Google search and it turns out that it was Bait (1999).

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I'm looking for a movie from the 80s or 90s. It was made in Eastern Europe and I think it's about a detective in a seemingly utopian world who is actually a serial killer.

A long shot, but Dellamorte Dellamore/Cemetery Man, set in a picturesque Italian town, has a sequence where the protagonist starts killing people so he doesn't have to kill them as the Undead making a detective remark "thank god you have a gun, there's a killer on the loose!".

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Someone told me to ask this here, so here it goes. Feverdream or movie?

quote:

I have a somewhat odd movie question. It's something that is stuck in a corner of my mind and although it's super unimportant, the fact that I can't find the answer is bugging me.

In the 1980s or 1990s there must have been an action comedy movie which I watched as a child. Somewhere in there is a scene where some guy is rescued from an Iraqi or Lybian prison. The protagonist and the rescued guy both climb into the cockpit of a French fighter jet, awkwardly occupying the single seat for comedic effect (I'm inclined to believe it's a Mirage, hence I'm thinking of Lybia). The Pilot guy looks around the cockpit and is trying to push button, and frustratedly complains about "the loving French" because, well, everything in the cockpit is in French. They eventually manage to take off the runway and I'm sure there was some slap stick dogfight as they escape.

I always thought that this was a Hot Shots movie. But last year we watched both of them and to my confusion, that scene wasn't in there. So, does anyone know where this scene is from? Is it a fever dream? I'd expect it to be another one of those spoof comedies from that era, but I've searched for hours and just can't find any movie with that sort of scene.