Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DavidCameronsPig posted:

I hope we get more of badass unit science lady and her rocket launcher inspector gadget wheelchair. She owned.

My impression is that she's going to be the face of UNIT when RTD needs it and I'm good with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

DavidCameronsPig posted:

I'm kinda more excited for RTD the show runner than RTD the writer for this reason. His plots do tend to be kinda clunky, but good lord the guy can create really great, really authentic feeling characters and relationships, and the show is historically at it's absolute best when someone who is better that plots then has those characters to play with. And it's not like his plots are bad, just a bit clunky at times.

Like, just the relationship with Sylvia and Donna in this episode. How their relationship has grown and moved on so much since and there's warmth and love but still that little spark of antagonism is still buried in there that they both have to work around, just like most real family relationships usually have that little sore spot you just try to never poke. Moffatt just made all his characters magic orphans so he didn't have to deal with any of that, and I think that was a loss.

Chibnall of course kept throwing middle aged men into the Tardis instead. Write what you know, I guess. The Doctor is real, and she's your friend, and any day now you'll go on adventures together. Keep dreaming the dream mate.

I was wondering going in why a trans woman, who I assume picked her own new name when she transitioned, would have ended up being called Rose. But that's the inherited Metacrisis acting on her subconscious. Nice. Clever piece of foreshadowing, that!

I hope we get more of badass unit science lady and her rocket launcher inspector gadget wheelchair. She owned.

Well said

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

Ah ok cause the Matt Smith years had that dumb intro in the United States.
I quite like that.

"And we've been running ever since."

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Creature posted:

That was big dumb emotional fun which is 100% guaranteed to piss off hateful dickheads. I love it.

Yep. gently caress 'em.

Doctor Who is BACK

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvlCddFeFjQ

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LividLiquid posted:

I quite like that.

"And we've been running ever since."

I totally forgot about this.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I dig Ruby Sunday's theme

EDIT and someone earlier said that they got a great impression of Gatwa in the AAiSaT re-do, and I agree

He hums with Doctor-y-ness

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 25, 2023

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Also since I've been seeing it everywhere since, the new opening titles are great.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

Unsurprising. They didn't do it for the whole run. Just enough to get new viewers on board.

If it was longer, it would've bothered me, but it felt very much like "theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the quantum leap accelerator... and vanished! :aaaaa:"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Behind the scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWnPxke0row

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Tears in my eyes and a dumb smile on my face

gently caress I've missed Doctor Who

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Posted without context.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

It was lovely seeing Pat Mills and Dave Gibbons on the set for this, and I'm assuming they got checks for this too (because of the writing credits), which is a nice change from the way Disney treats the other comics they adapt.

I do really like the new TARDIS, it looks like the new series doing a take on the very first console room in a way that's very satisfying. Also I wasn't quite sure in the episode itself, but seeing the scene again in the behind-the-scenes Donna just transparently throws her coffee onto the console to trigger an adventure. :allears:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I've changed my mind re: the 15th Doctor's theme, it's actully good

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Vinylshadow posted:

Tears in my eyes and a dumb smile on my face

gently caress I've missed Doctor Who

its crazy how it's been off the air for 10+ years and that theres been no episodes since

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L4dJ8n64HE

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pocket change for bus fare, some lint, ...ooh, a stick of gum

That's enough for twenty episodes, right?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Silly chaotic fun with great performers chewing the scenery. Not the only thing that I want from doctor who but something that I'm glad to see in the mix, and absolutely the side I'd rather see the errors fall on.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Creature posted:

That was big dumb emotional fun which is 100% guaranteed to piss off hateful dickheads. I love it.

Favorite comment so far is "Of course the Doctor has a blue box and pronouns."

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

This was odd. They should have had him do that intro from 13's console room.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Vinylshadow posted:

I take back what I said about the Volume working well

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Vinylshadow posted:

I got real worried at that weird opening. Being on Disney+ that’s going to be a lot of people’s first thing they see. The episode itself was good fun though. Definitely could tell they spent some money on the Meep.

Was worried about the Volume shot Tardis but it was cool to see the “uncut” shot of him running around it and laughed at Donna instantly setting it all on fire.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GigaPeon posted:

Donna instantly setting it all on fire.

I'm so glad she's back :allears:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhv5GVexW2E

Some fun!

Bill's been doin' this bit for decades but this is definitely the classiest version

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
WERE BBAK BABEY

ok as a trans person I thought some things were handled a bit clumsily but clearly in a way designed to upset internet chuds so uh, fine, and also, it's rusty, he knows writers who use subtext and they're all cowards, and furthermore

WERE BBAK BABEY

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
watching now and lol is Nerys a common name?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Not gonna lie, this gave me Tim and Eric vibes for a few seconds before the intro got into its groove lol.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-32RxlHiGU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Khanstant posted:

watching now and lol is Nerys a common name?

She’s Donna’s annoying friend from her wedding.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

GigaPeon posted:

I got real worried at that weird opening. Being on Disney+ that’s going to be a lot of people’s first thing they see. The episode itself was good fun though. Definitely could tell they spent some money on the Meep.

Was worried about the Volume shot Tardis but it was cool to see the “uncut” shot of him running around it and laughed at Donna instantly setting it all on fire.

I thought the set was actually built? They were even bragging on the commentary about the lights having individually controllable LEDs that can be used to spell things, which struck me as a rather specific scenario that we might get to see

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Ignis posted:

I thought the set was actually built? They were even bragging on the commentary about the lights having individually controllable LEDs that can be used to spell things, which struck me as a rather specific scenario that we might get to see

Even better then!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I love The Meep.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if they use volume type screens to make a bunch of those passages extend to infinity or peek through into other rooms and the like.

Only thing I dislike with the Meep is that the cutesy thing was an act. Would have been much scarier if it was still in the adorable mode talking about killing and eating people

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lines posted:

WERE BBAK BABEY

ok as a trans person I thought some things were handled a bit clumsily but clearly in a way designed to upset internet chuds so uh, fine, and also, it's rusty, he knows writers who use subtext and they're all cowards, and furthermore

WERE BBAK BABEY

I thought the binary/non-binary bit was a little eye rolly, but it was dumb fun weird instead of dumb bad weird - so who loving cares. RTD back babyyy.

Rose actress was real good though. Didn't understand why she didn't get a whirl in the TARDIS? But also Doctor Donna is back :3:

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Love that we literally got this.

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

thrawn527 posted:

She’s Donna’s annoying friend from her wedding.

All I could think was: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Kira_Nerys

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Infinitum posted:

I thought the binary/non-binary bit was a little eye rolly, but it was dumb fun weird instead of dumb bad weird - so who loving cares. RTD back babyyy.

Rose actress was real good though. Didn't understand why she didn't get a whirl in the TARDIS? But also Doctor Donna is back :3:

It was extremely eye-rolly (at least to me, a straight person) but it felt earnest, and as other have pointed out it feels very much like a needed gently caress you to anybody jumping back on because it's not NURSE WHO anymore.

Although if I'm being honest, the character arc here basically obviates any need to actually watch any of Whitaker's run, as Capaldi getting back his memories of Clara makes a great motivation for him to regenerate into 2ennant and undo the awful poo poo he did to Donna.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lines posted:

Love that we literally got this.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

That's strange because I just listened to the theme song and it said you were the Meep's friend?

https://youtu.be/sDwUmH4F2Pg?si=6voXqsjfX1ywiHdE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lines posted:

WERE BBAK BABEY

WERE BBAK BABEY

the conversation between donna and her mum seemed genuine and sweet but the other stuff was really dumb imo