Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Edmund Sparkler posted:

If you have sex while pregnant, the baby gets a dent in its skull.

Dangerops? Prangent sex??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

InediblePenguin posted:

This is fairly accepted in the mainstream; would you like to share more, or are you just here to drive through and be vague and smug?

:hmmyes:

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
It has been 0 pages since the last stupid argument in the IOSM thread.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

emSparkly posted:

I find it hard to believe a Buddhist symbol was totally ubiquitous among the population of the US in the 19th century US dude.

It's not just a Buddhist symbol, is the thing. It was worldwide, independently arising in cultures with no contact with each other, and it was indeed a massively popular symbol in the late 19th-early 20th century in America. It was everywhere, greeting cards, coins, badges, jerseys for sports teams, Coca-Cola advertisements.

It seems hard to believe now because that's how thoroughly it was erased from society after America entered World War 2.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Byzantine posted:

It's not just a Buddhist symbol, is the thing. It was worldwide, independently arising in cultures with no contact with each other, and it was indeed a massively popular symbol in the late 19th-early 20th century in America. It was everywhere, greeting cards, coins, badges, jerseys for sports teams, Coca-Cola advertisements.

It seems hard to believe now because that's how thoroughly it was erased from society after America entered World War 2.

The more you know.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

they weren't, there was a whole load more poo poo going on, but I get it, it feels good to repeat it to feel like One Of The Good Americans

Hitler did enjoy western novels, that part is real

heinrich krieger researched american indian laws extensively and was instrumental in the nuremburg laws

edit: didn't see this post or I would've just emptyquoted it

InediblePenguin posted:

This is fairly accepted in the mainstream; would you like to share more, or are you just here to drive through and be vague and smug?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Any poster concerning Hitler and the nazis is tiresome notwithstanding any numerical patterns present.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

emSparkly posted:

The more you know.

It was an important symbol among some indigenous Americans, used in religious rituals and also heavily featured in Native American jewelry, which became really popular among white Americans, so there were a bunch of white Americans with swastika belt buckles and whatnot in the first quarter of the 20th century. The Navajo (I think, might have the tribe wrong) officially retired its use in ceremonies either during the war or very shortly after.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Navajo/Diné called it the "whirling log" and they retired the symbol in 1940.

https://www.navajorug.com/blogs/news/whirling-logs-motif

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Len posted:

One of my coworkers heard my partner was going to get an epidural and immediately started on a rant about getting this baby started on chemicals. He also has a rant about how baldness isn't because of genetics it's because of the chemicals in our shampoo and conditioner clogging our pores and killing the hair follicles. Oh and if you drink milk straight from a cow it'll cure lactose intolerance.

In the end we didn't get an epidural because like her dad this kid has zero patience and said it's time here I come

I will tell anyone with opinions about how my wife chooses to give birth to gently caress a cement mixer, using those exact words.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The Only Fans shill accounts are completely out of control

https://x.com/ruduraro/status/1728237080315298293?s=20

(In response to the Wallace and Gromit news tweet)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Thotbots

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

emSparkly posted:

I find it hard to believe a Buddhist symbol was totally ubiquitous among the population of the US in the 19th century US dude.

I think actually it really was, it's not just buddhist, designs similar to it are found all across the world into very early antiquity. There's stuff like kids sports teams adopting it as a logo pre-nazis. Like it's not everywhere but my understanding is that it used to be sort of just like a sunburst, or a chevron, just a fairly normal old shape that people sometimes used for things.

E: beaten.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you listen to podcasts Behind the Bastards has a pretty good episode covering the history of the swastika.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
okay i know we're moving on but lol

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Coke got real weird in the 60s

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Truly, it was the little flags that people reviled the Nazis for, not anything else.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Something tells me this lawyer may not be in good standing with any bar association, or if they start bringing nuisance suits over this they certainly won't be for much longer. The courts absolutely love it when you waste their time with cute poo poo like this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

Something tells me this lawyer may not be in good standing with any bar association, or if they start bringing nuisance suits over this they certainly won't be for much longer. The courts absolutely love it when you waste their time with cute poo poo like this.

Can't basically anyone fill out that form and register anything, and it doesn't actually mean anything except being a useful cudgel against the uninformed until you try and enforce it in court, at which point it would get immediately dismissed?

Also, even if a court upheld it, bootleg shirts are a massive industry. When I lived in Oakland I had a friend that worked at a t-shirt printing shop and during the playoffs when the series got close we'd watch the game and if the Warriors won and were still in the playoffs he'd have to run off to the print shop and print a ton of shirts for some guy who would sell them at the subway entrance. And there's all those places online that just steal other people's artwork and print them on shirts. All this would do would prevent large stores like Walmart and Target from selling shirts that say "From the River to the Sea" and given how Target responded to criticism for selling pro-trans shirts during pride month, there's no loving way in hell they'd sell those shirts.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I visited Ostia Antica in high school. It's a very well-preserved Roman port city about thirty kilometers outside of Rome. One of the highlights is a square behind the big theater, where vendors would set up stalls to sell food and drink. There's numerous mosaics that include swastika patterns in the tilework.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's a fairly simple shape, it's 6 straight lines. It's an easy pattern to come up with without having seen it, just gently caress up drawing the cool S and you have a swastika. It's not surprising that it proliferated so much before it fell out of fashion.

It's like the spectrum of no - as you go from Europe to Asia they use the same sounds roughly for no/negative reactions and it's almost on a scale from west to east with west being a sound that starts with an "N" and the east having a variant on the "e" sound. - No (English), Non (French), Nein (German), Ei (finnish), Ie (Japanese) -a lot of languages use a word that either begins with n or has the i and e vowels somewhere in it, or both, Russian has "Niet", Polish has "nie" and they all fall under the English corruption of the sound "Nah". The e sound even gets used in English slang - how many times have you expressed a negative opinion with the hedged sound "eeeehh".

Obv a lot of languages don't do this Indonesian has "tidak", Arabic has "La", but it's interesting how many languages do.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Nov 25, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

How the heck are you drawing the cool S

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
How the heck are you drawing the cool SS

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Ein Coke, Ein Sprite, Ein Fanta.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Comets can sometimes have multiple tails, and if they rotate in a certain way it produces a twisting tail that can be represented as a swastika. There's a 2nd-century BCE Han document that shows different comet shapes and one is a swastika. It's speculation but it's very possible that a prominent four-tailed rotating comet was seen by people all over the world some millennia ago and multiple cultures adopted it and used it in different contexts.

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 23:43 on Nov 25, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Hitler Comet would be a good premise for a b movie.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

It's a fairly simple shape, it's 6 straight lines. It's an easy pattern to come up with without having seen it, just gently caress up drawing the cool S and you have a swastika. It's not surprising that it proliferated so much before it fell out of fashion.

It's like the spectrum of no - as you go from Europe to Asia they use the same sounds roughly for no/negative reactions and it's almost on a scale from west to east with west being a sound that starts with an "N" and the east having a variant on the "e" sound. - No (English), Non (French), Nein (German), Ei (finnish), Ie (Japanese) -a lot of languages use a word that either begins with n or has the i and e vowels somewhere in it, or both, Russian has "Niet", Polish has "nie" and they all fall under the English corruption of the sound "Nah". The e sound even gets used in English slang - how many times have you expressed a negative opinion with the hedged sound "eeeehh".

Obv a lot of languages don't do this Indonesian has "tidak", Arabic has "La", but it's interesting how many languages do.

And then you have Greek, where "Ναι", pronounced "ne", means yes. Anecdotally, a source of confusion for people starting to learn English

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
OP is not the idiot:

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1728482093120794683

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I mean, if you think about it, ISIS bad and Hamas bad, so by the transitive property, ISIS Hamas.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

https://twitter.com/tal_412/status/1728476830267506844

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Is... Greta like, a huge threat to people? I thought she was just a young (maybe no longer so young) kid who got some news coverage for being extra sassy. The only time I ever hear about her now is when chuds just say her name and spit like it's invoking the devil

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

credburn posted:

Is... Greta like, a huge threat to people? I thought she was just a young (maybe no longer so young) kid who got some news coverage for being extra sassy. The only time I ever hear about her now is when chuds just say her name and spit like it's invoking the devil

She was on the TV news, which is the only thing that actually matters to these braindead losers, and thus it means she is the most important leftist ever and must be destroyed.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

credburn posted:

Doesn't matter. If they can "prove" anything bad about Gretta, like that she used a carbon the other day or owns an octopus plushy, it shows that all climate activists or all people who care about the climate in general are hypocritical/bad/wrong. Even if she lived in a "perfect" manner, it wouldn't be enough, since they can simply lie about her.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
remember the sticker thing with her, she has the absolute worst haters.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

lotta "liberals" getting scratched recently

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Please refer to them as “lieberals”

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

dialhforhero posted:

Ein Coke, Ein Sprite, Ein Fanta.

The little-known 1966 hit from German teetotaller Johann Lee Hooker.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

credburn posted:

In the chud cinematic universe Greta Thunberg, AOC, Jussie Smollett, Rachel Dolezal, and David Hogg are the Soros Avengers and every night you'll get a six-minute segment on their latest nefarious deeds.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
???
https://twitter.com/CalgaryPolice/status/1728271583817675007?t=MOWpdcgUiGOKMOzAMVKKVg&s=19