Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Haha, sorry.

Don't apologize to nerds who can't keep it in their pants.

You are blazing through this show at an impressive pace!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say that Quiet Zero looking like the literal loving fortress of Satan while ominous chanting plays is not what I expected.

It's weird when the show goes back to the Witch themes, it kind of comes and goes seemingly randomly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Finished it.

Honestly my final thoughts on it is that the show has a lot of individual scenes I like a lot but I didn't really like how everything fit together. The whole things feels weirdly disjointed in a way that somehow makes it feel less than the sum of its parts. I didn't hate it or anything like that and it was overall a fun watch, but it felt like it really was something that needed to trim maybe 1 or 2 plotlines. (

What I liked:
Suletta and Mio are really cute together and make a good pairing. The show does a good job with them and if I had a big criticism it would be that I wish Season 2 had them spend more time together because they are the star of the shows.

Guel has a good character arc and became a really likable character.

Chuchu is a lot of fun. Good character, no complaints.

Prospera is a pretty good villain. She's awful and kind of sympathetic at the same time which is hard to balance. I do wish she'd actually gotten one genuine conversation with Suletta that wasn't about Eri but if she could actually get that conversation she wouldn't be Prospera.

What I was middling on:
The Earth/Space divide really feels like it is either too important or not important enough. I really like when it gets focused on but it really feels like the thing the show is least interested in

Earth House as a whole felt just kind of there. They weren't terrible but they kind of meandered as characters.

The 'witch' theming is neat but like the Earth/Space divide I felt like it needed either more or less focus because I never really feel like it comes together.

The duels are, in theory, a cool idea but I never really feel like they are well used. Especially the one team duel, though I do like how that one ended for what it's worth.

How Miorine's mom's hidden message ended up paying off. I get why plotwise it is that but it feels so sudden that it took me a moment to even figure out why it could possibly be relevant there.

What I disliked:
The show had a really bad habit of just kind of shelving characters for a while until they suddenly have their plot beat. Nika, Fakelan and Norea are probably the biggest symbol of this where they all have a a compelling reason to be involved with the plot but they just sit in a literal locked room doing nothing until suddenly Norea has her big plot beat which ends in the most cliched way possible. Nika in particular just feels like a huge amount of wasted effort.

Aside from one or two standouts the fights just weren't very good. The Darilbalde is weirdly enough the standout here in that it gets a ton of really great choreography and fantastic use of the swarm/bits concept. Suletta on the other hand feels really underused and honestly feels like her wins (and loss) are basically plot and not anything she does herself as a pilot.

The obligatory Gundam super laser with the obligatory boring soldier villain. I get they wanted to give a big moment to the sisters but so much plot weight and focus is on Suletta's family that anything coming after that just feels unnecessary. It doesn't help that it ends up making me think of Unicorn's ending.

Guel's brother just doesn't feel like an actual character which drains a lot of the weight out of Guel's plot ending. You really needed to do stuff like introduce the brother hug sometime before it becomes plot relevant. I'd be a lot more negative on this if not for the anticlimax part of it, which puts it well above Norea's plot for me.

The Head of Earth House loving suuuuuuuuuucks and I hate how much time the show wasted on him.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 25, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

That said I'm not sure exactly what advantage physical weaponry might have since it seems like lasers are just kind of better.

on the one hand i wish there was a bit more to how dawn of fold uses physical weaponry and big solid blades than "it makes them look more like tekkadan"

but also i quite like the aesthetic extension occurring there

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've gone back and forth on a lot of things about the show in my head and while I'd love to see the setting fleshed out more I think my biggest problem is ultimately how little interaction Suletta actually gets with her loved ones. The first season builds up her relationship with Miorine pretty well but the structure of the second season means they have almost no time together and half that time is incredibly traumatic thanks to Mio making a really horrible decision. Prospera's duality as a sympathetic mother and a reprehensible piece of poo poo for how she uses her daughters is super compelling but she again barely has time with Suletta in season 2 because she and Miorine need to play into the other plot lines for a while leaving Suletta in the dumps. Ericht is a major part of the story but as a character she doesn't really have much going on besides "loves her sister" and "will kill for momma without hesitation." and her big fight/talk with Suletta isn't actually resolved because it just stops so we can cut between the Jeturk-brawl, Prospera and the death Haros, and the obligatory space laser. I'd watch an entire episode that is just Suletta and Eri talking.

It's a show that I want to love. It's a series that for me had the potential to be a new alltime favourite. I'm ultimately okay with where most of the plot beats land (mostly) but how it actually resolves them really sours me on the second season. So many threads are built up and then are just kinda flat in the end, if they're explained at all. Its a show that focuses a whole lot on the "what" that is happening without having much time to expand on the "hows" and "whys" and it increasingly asks you to take things on faith because it sure as hell isnt going to explain things better than it does. And while I like the last scene of the epilogue a fair bit, the rest of the epilogue irritates me more than it satisfies.

Maybe next time.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 25, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

G-Witch was a show that was very clearly failed by the producers. It was obvious that at least for the first few episodes, the staff was fully expecting a full 50 episode run, but it seems that unlike IBO, which ended up getting renewed, Witch had the rug pulled out from under it and it struggled with that. Bandai has been gunshy with AUs since the failure of Gundam Age and this is just the logical endpoint of that.

I still hold a lot of love for it in my heart because it was the first Gundam series I watched as it aired and it also essentially got me into Gundam, even if I started watching other stuff before G-Witch started. I've made entirely new friend groups as a mecha fan, experienced some amazing works in both Gundam and beyond, and started to really get into gunpla as a hobby. It kinda changed my life lmao.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 25, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

G-Witch was a show that was very clearly failed by the producers. It was obvious that at least for the first few episodes, the staff was fully expecting a full 50 episode run, but it seems that unlike IBO, which ended up getting renewed, Witch had the rug pulled out from under it and it struggled with that. Bandai has been gunshy with AUs since the failure of Gundam Age and this is just the logical endpoint of that.

This is not at all true. The show was always going to be it's original run time and the staff full knew it going in. The producers didn't cut episodes after the first few at all...if anything given the model kits sales and the fact it hit the top 10 anime ratings a few times the producers would probably look at doing more if Sunrise wasn't busy doing other Gundam stuff

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm going to blame the Meta Quest movie just because nobody is gonna show up to defend it existing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

wdarkk posted:

I'm going to blame the Meta Quest movie just because nobody is gonna show up to defend it existing.

That's up to interpretation.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

I'll defend it in comparison to the Metaverse stuff, for the moment. It's at least conceptually interesting, while the metaverse was just completely terrible, with its only value being the gunplay leak being funny.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

This is not at all true. The show was always going to be it's original run time and the staff full knew it going in. The producers didn't cut episodes after the first few at all...if anything given the model kits sales and the fact it hit the top 10 anime ratings a few times the producers would probably look at doing more if Sunrise wasn't busy doing other Gundam stuff

Those aren’t contradictory. Yes it was never greenlit as a 50 episode show. But there’s definitely hints in the first half of the show they’re leaving things somewhat open ended in case they got a sequel. It probably became clear that they weren’t getting a sequel at some point during production of season 2 so they decided to wrap everything up conclusively so there weren’t any loose ends plot wise. But they’d set up so many different plot threads it most threads became extremely anticlimactic and aborted in the rush.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it felt like they were expecting another IBO to happen and they'd get a second 2 cours greenlit

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Planning for a possibility is poor planning

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering the production was on fire and barely completing episodes before their airtime and pulling nearly 100 key animators for the finale, "poor planning" was more likely just standard operating procedure.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think it's perfectly possible for a show to have a bunch of messy open-ended stuff that is resolved hastily or not at all without there being some kind of coherent plan to hope for a miracle middle-of-the-series extension, especially in a show primarily composed by Okouchi, a guy who frequently has a lot of messy open-ended stuff that is resolved hastily in his shows.

(this isn't a slam on Okouchi)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I loved Code Geass and WfM is pretty much just slightly higher than that in terms of plot coming together satisfactorily.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
If nothing else there was clearly at least a little behind the scenes drama or the "open to interpretation" stuff wouldn't have happened. That could just be some executives not watching the show and being surprised to hear about the basic premise once the show ended (which would still be a big deal) or it could mean there was constant tension in the production between different factions at Bandai

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'd predict that rather than not getting the number of episodes they wanted some executive order changed the way they needed to approach s2 and as a result they couldn't flesh out all the plot threads they wanted to in the way they wanted to

but also it's entirely possible that they just made a plan going into s2 and then partway through as everything in the studio started catching fire they weren't able to execute on that plan the way they had originally envisioned, and started needing to make some tough decisions to get episodes out on time and looking good

or maybe the writers just, like, didn't do as good of a job as we wanted. in any case i still really like what they put out even if i still dream of a series where they got like 2 more episodes to work with.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Suletta is still one of the best Gundam leads

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Given that there has been no other indication that Bandai is walking back Suletta and Mio being a couple, I think it seems a bit overblown to assume that there was actual internal conflict over a single blundered PR tweet that doesn't seem to represent the company's durable position at all. It was a very stupid tweet made by a very stupid person but PR blunders like that aren't really super uncommon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/eggtempest/status/1728519235767615784?t=amrxyuqkTA77yZ4JA87Rvw&s=19

Lmao Chuchu

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think also given the stuff in the fan book and general leaks other Gundam shows have had if cuts were made or if an extension was given we'd have heard already if changes were made or they were hoping for changes to episode count. Plus just look across the industry right now, not even top level Shonen adaptations are getting big 50+ runs at once.

Bandai Namco gave them episodes run count and Okouchi and staff wrote the show with it in mind

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The Schwarzette is too cool for “piloted by the loser brother for 5 seconds” to be the original plan for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Schwarzette's hype was built entirely around speculation from the season 2 gunpla leaks. If it had been the calibarn revealed in the winter rather than the Schwarzette it would have had the same effect and the jeturk-mobile would have been a neat but not substantial topic of discussion.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Arc Hammer posted:

The Schwarzette's hype was built entirely around speculation from the season 2 gunpla leaks. If it had been the calibarn revealed in the winter rather than the Schwarzette it would have had the same effect and the jeturk-mobile would have been a neat but not substantial topic of discussion.

I think my favorite thing about all of that was the sheer volume of people insisting there had to be a secret like, last episode powerup for the calibarn where it'd become the excalibarn or some poo poo. The gwitch threads were full of insane people.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arc Hammer posted:

Well, it's not just the hype, it was in fact an extremely cool design in motion. It just only showed up for one fight, piloted by a character nobody liked.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nuebot posted:

The gwitch threads were full of insane people.

Sure was, I say as I nervously glance at my 40+ pages of deranged posts in that thread. All those insane people...

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 26, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I think my favorite thing about all of that was the sheer volume of people insisting there had to be a secret like, last episode powerup for the calibarn where it'd become the excalibarn or some poo poo. The gwitch threads were full of insane people.

Didn't that happen?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't that happen?

Exactly that did in fact happen, yes.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Nuebot posted:

But no, the name Caliban just fits with the themes of the show.

Or is it a stretch to say that Witch From Mercury takes inspiration from The Tempest now?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So apparently the volume 4 Blu Ray that just came out had an interview that revealed some of the original pitch for the show. Take this with a good grain of salt till we get good scans of course.
Sulleta was originally going to be a gruff woman in her 20's and already some kind of military lieutenant or some such. Miorine was going to bea 19 year old being kept as a mistress against her will and was much more docile, who Sulleta would be trying to save. You can see the hazy outline for what eventually became the whole Groom Duel system in the series here with proto-Sulleta having to save her waifu from the men who want to keep her for themselves, though it's interesting they completely swapped which of them was the gruff one and which was pushed around by others. I'm glad we got what we got, but I admit I would have been interesting to see an adult lesbian romance for once.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Fivemarks posted:

Or is it a stretch to say that Witch From Mercury takes inspiration from The Tempest now?
Wait people actually argued it didn't? The Char is literally called Prospera.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fivemarks posted:

But no, the name Caliban just fits with the themes of the show.

Two of the main characters are named Aerial and Prospera, the show had the influences in flashing mile high lights from the first episode and that comparison graphic was made on the first few episodes. You'd have to be insanely oblivious even by ADTRW standards to not realize it by the end of the run.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly am surprised it was up for debate

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It even has a happy ending where everything works out like the Tempest

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The gay space laser wasn't the real magic it was the "turn off capitalism" button.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I liked the part where Suletta's option part thruster thingy towards the end looked like a broom she was riding.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I popped off at rainbow permet lines

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Waffleman_ posted:

I popped off at rainbow permet lines

It was great. I was expecting gold or green but rainbow was so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I do want to see a Super Robot Wars with X Astray, Unicorn and G-Witch in the end so you can have the most absolutely rainbow-shooting shield ending in the history of rainbow shooting shield endings.