Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big ups to Shaun, who loves his wife and daughter very much and just takes absolutely everything in stride :)

I loved the little aside between him and Donna when they were in the attic.

Doctor: This is a Sonic Screwdriver, one thing it's great at is resonating with concrete.
Shaun: That's not concrete, it's mortar.
Donna: Thank you, Bob the Builder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Dongicus posted:

the conversation between donna and her mum seemed genuine and sweet but the other stuff was really dumb imo

It was extremely clumsy in a way that feels grindingly familiar from rusty's writing in this and other shows, yeah. But for me I guess I was just like - yeah fine whatever. I forgive this show a lot worse.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
All I'm saying is, there's precedent for the ending...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"I am on my knees. How much lower do I need to sink before I'm in frame?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's a foreshortening trick with the camera. RTD is actually 35 miles away.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Big dumb silly fun. I was not a fan of this back then but I have a much softer heart now (but even then, I loved Donna and the Doctor).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Watching the Unleashed for the Star Beast and Tennant and Tate are joking that he could've done something original for Fourteen rather than play it as Ten again, like changing the accent, and now I kinda wish they'd gone with that, just to lean into that something about the whole thing is weird, like every other Doctor is Scottish for some reason

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

10 but Ginger

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

GigaPeon posted:

Even better then!

From Unleashed

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ignis posted:

From Unleashed

:hmmyes:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Absolutely loved that. Vibes were immaculate after being off for the almost the entire Chibnall run. Whittaker deserved a better showrunner. RTD Tennant and Tate haven’t missed a step. Also as someone who only a couple weeks ago had my own um gender identity revelation, I really liked the stuff towards the end with Donna’s daughter even if it was a little clunky. It was nice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ignis posted:

From Unleashed

Love that the console room is well lit again, and love the size and verticality. But also it reminds me how much I miss Capaldi's console room with the book cases, it felt like a very lived in/used space.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Ignis posted:

From Unleashed

Niiiice.

So I got my Brother in Law type person in the family secret Santa. In his wishlist/interest list he listed Doctor Who and through snooping I found that Capaldi’s his favorite. Any ideas on gifts? It seems right now none of the audio stories actually have Capaldi as the Doctor. Is that correct?

Edit: Just realized that him knowing me and similar ages probably puts him in prime Goon demographic, so ignore this if you think you’re him.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 26, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Jerusalem posted:

Love that the console room is well lit again, and love the size and verticality. But also it reminds me how much I miss Capaldi's console room with the book cases, it felt like a very lived in/used space.

Or McGann's movie TARDIS...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was kind of hoping the distributed metacrisis could mean they could stay as time-lord hybrids in case of emergency or something. I really hope RTD brings Jodie back for a 13 adventure because she really would shine in this kind of fun who action.

I loved this, I love Doctor Donna is back, coffee spill perfect. Sylvia was a surprise, obvious in hindsight but fun dynamic and I liked her and Donna getting along better with some natural combativeness.

I can't believe how big the TARDIS room was! Especially since I'm expecting a new one when 15 shows up soon. If it's that big I fully expect some episode where they have a huge crowd of folks onboard for some reason. I kind of miss the world of warcraft crystals but I appreciate the drastic change.

Infinitum posted:

Rose actress was real good though. Didn't understand why she didn't get a whirl in the TARDIS? But also Doctor Donna is back :3:

Historically, a Rose in the TARDIS doesn't end well so at the very least I get why Donna wasn't having it. I do expect she will end up onboard one way or the other now that the trip immediately went obviously wrong to the outside. Who knows how much they actually get to remember of technobabble stuff, Rose is also aware of UNIT at this point so there's always that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pops Mgee posted:

Also as someone who only a couple weeks ago had my own um gender identity revelation, I really liked the stuff towards the end with Donna’s daughter even if it was a little clunky. It was nice.

Love and solidarity :love:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GigaPeon posted:

Niiiice.

So I got my Brother in Law type person in the family secret Santa. In his wishlist/interest list he listed Doctor Who and through snooping I found that Capaldi’s his favorite. Any ideas on gifts? It seems right now none of the audio stories actually have Capaldi as the Doctor. Is that correct?

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge he hasn't done anything really Who related since leaving the show, presumably just to give himself some distance after putting so much into the role.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Or McGann's movie TARDIS...

Yeah, that absolutely rocked too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Watching the Unleashed for the Star Beast and Tennant and Tate are joking that he could've done something original for Fourteen rather than play it as Ten again, like changing the accent, and now I kinda wish they'd gone with that, just to lean into that something about the whole thing is weird, like every other Doctor is Scottish for some reason

Honestly, it would've been fun if he played it as basically Ten but just using his normal accent. But on the other hand it's also amusing that he's the only Scot to play the Doctor who hasn't been allowed to use a Scottish accent. (From the little we've heard of Ncuti in the role, it sounds like he's using his normal speaking voice/accent as well)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Yannick_B posted:

Loved it! The metacrisis resolution sort of bothered me, because "we can just let it go" feels like a pretty easy solution because it's presented so quickly BUT that's essentially worrying about something that happened on tv in 2008 so I can understand they're solving it in a very quick way.
It's a kludge, but the Metacrisis "Donna has to forget thing" was a kludge in the first place because RTD had trouble imagining why a long-term companion might elect to leave and so tended to go for kludgey metaphysical reasons why they had to leave. (Happened to Rose too.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly the modern aspect of the TARDIS actually being able to hit where the Doctor wants to go kinda wrecks the easy answer to that: The Tegan, where they get caught up in an adventure, and whoops, oh no, the Doctor can't get them back home (of course this would prevent half the season being set in modern London/Cardiff)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder if Tentwo's the result of Twelve borrowing from his future in Extremis

quote:

"The thing about the universe is, whatever you need, you can always borrow, as long as you pay it back. I just borrowed from my future. I get a few minutes of proper eyesight, but I lose something. Maybe all my future regenerations will be blind. Maybe I won't regenerate ever again."
Yes, yes, we know that last bit to be a big ol' lmao, but still...

I also wonder if Rose Noble's going to play another pivotal role against the Toymaker with her own crafts and plushies - the Toymaker makes all toys come alive, and suddenly Doctor and Co. have Daleks and Cybermen fighting for them

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wouldn't be shocked if the Ood stuffy at least was some kind of foreshadowing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if the Ood stuffy at least was some kind of foreshadowing.

Ood: Hi Doctor, just wanted to let you know I hit the undo button in that space station place, an-
Doctor: Okay let's just not mention that ever again, thanks, you can go now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Ood: Hi Doctor, just wanted to let you know I hit the undo button in that space station place, an-
Doctor: Okay let's just not mention that ever again, thanks, you can go now.

lol, I was thinking more that RTD probably can't resist this ending with some kind of Ood Sigma callback. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, but just from those gifs, I love the new console room. Not just the obvious modern take on the classic 1/2 console, but also the sheer size of it and the doors leading to who knows what.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was a bit sad that Donna immediately loved it when it was an obvious set up for the 'you redecorated?!' gag.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I think RTD has enough TV sense to not dive too deeply into the past. The was the odd TENNANT IN SPACE intro that set up the stakes of the whole Donna situation, but that stuff was also brought up a couple times in the episode itself, so I'm guessing the intro was a later addition just to make sure that people who didn't remember TV from 15 years ago knew what was going on. If that's what's getting a "previously on..." I doubt we're doing much more.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jerusalem posted:

I loved the wood panel console that 4 used in his later years. Felt very much like a place I'd like to sit and drink some tea and catch up with a very old time lord in a funny scarf.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, dumb question from somebody that hasn't followed Doctor Who for several years (I stopped halfway through Capaldi). Are Ten and Donna going to be around for an entire season or more? I thought it was just going to be a single special episode.

Not that I'm complaining.

And is he the fourteenth doctor or is the next doctor the fourteenth?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I loved the wood panel console that 4 used in his later years. Felt very much like a place I'd like to sit and drink some tea and catch up with a very old time lord in a funny scarf.

I loved the payoff for that storyline (the TARDIS was redesigning the "main" console room) was the Doctor walking into the refurbished space and going,"Ugh, this is what happens when you let a computer design your console room!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CornHolio posted:

So, dumb question from somebody that hasn't followed Doctor Who for several years (I stopped halfway through . Are Ten and Donna going to be around for an entire season or more? I thought it was just going to be a single special episode.

And is he the fourteenth doctor or is the next doctor the fourteenth?

3 Specials

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CornHolio posted:

So, dumb question from somebody that hasn't followed Doctor WHO for several years. Are Ten and Donna going to be around for an entire season or more? I thought it was just going to be a single special episode.

And is he the fifteenth doctor or is the next doctor the fifteenth?

Tennant is the "14th" Doctor (there have been more than 14, with Jo Martin and John Hurt being the Fugitive and War Doctors respectively), with Ncuti Gatwa being the 15th. Tennant and Tate are back for 3 specials with the latter two happening over the next two weeks. Then on Christmas Day is the first episode of the next season, kicking off the Gatwa run.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jerusalem posted:

Tennant is the "14th" Doctor (there have been more than 14, with Jo Martin and John Hurt being the Fugitive and War Doctors respectively), with Ncuti Gatwa being the 15th. Tennant and Tate are back for 3 specials with the latter two happening over the next two weeks. Then on Christmas Day is the first episode of the next season, kicking off the Gatwa run.

Ah, I was not aware. Sweet! Thanks!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also it's technically a new series, so we're back to Season 00/Specials ATM, and Season 1 will start next year.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

That's my favourite too. Hoping Ncuti's doctor goes for something classy like that

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

That's my favourite too. Hoping Ncuti's doctor goes for something classy like that

I am positive they're not building that monster standing set and using it for three episodes. Ncuti will use the new Tardis interior for at least one season.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You're right, but hoping for at least a surface level change, it's extremely sterile as it is.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

I am positive they're not building that monster standing set and using it for three episodes. Ncuti will use the new Tardis interior for at least one season.

They did immediately set it on fire...

Burning that Disney money?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Episode was very Rusty for better and worse. It certainly had the right kind of energy and vibe that the show has been lacking for a few years, and it felt like he heard complaints about Chibnall's era being """woke""" and took that as a challenge. Space Cadet liked the episode too despite having only seen Eccleston's first season.

The theme in the intro and credits sounded a lot worse than the previous E: preview versions though, like they'd added in a bunch of extra noisy poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I really liked the new intro and outro lol. Was wondering what the almost percussive vocal element added was, I dig it.