Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Slavvy posted:

Basically every bike has an O2 sensor + cat nowadays, the majority of efi bikes have a MAP sensor from what I've seen. They're primitive in that sense, but they also have far more sophisticated systems than cars when it comes to improving rideability and response like secondary butterflies, showerhead injectors, variable length venturi systems and so on

I worked on a Trident 650 the other day and was stunned when I pulled the tank off and saw an intake plenum terminating at just one TB like a car

Driven almost entirely by emissions. And at that, euro emissions. Though it's not the "lots" of bikes, it's still quite a few bikes that are running grandfathered "emissions" systems.

Primitive might be the wrong word. Specialized? Lets go with that. Modern sportbikes have multiple maps you can select from, adjustable horsepower, etc... which are really neat tricks.

The secondary butterflys are an electronic version of vacuum slides on carbs. It's there, in a large part, to compensate for problems with having digital fuel controls. Some early EFI street bikes still had the vacuum slides! Others just had awful off-idle throttle control. But if you have a servo driven throttle valve.... now you can do torque limiting and throttle response tuning.

Yeah MAP is not great for drivability, but it is good for power. So they're not completely blind. But given the space constraints of a bike, you can't really get proper MAF readings. You'll notice that on cars, the MAF is frequently disconnected from the plenum by a very large volume, and frequently a long hose. MAP also means the bike isn't always going to be able to compensate for changing air conditions. EG: it starts raining, or you go up a big hill.

Bikes have always had the high performance aspects of engine sophistication. Big pressurized plenums. Individual throttle bodies. Showerhead injectors were a thing back in.. 94 or 95? Variable length intakes were pioneered (at a production level) on cars. I thought the snap down throttle body extensions were neat when I saw those on the.. R1? Neat stuff, is that common now? Exhaust valves too, were a car thing first? I remember the first bike I rode with an exhaust valve, it was a Triumph 675. The transition from quiet to "Yeah, i'm gonna eat you now" was really fun, and you could feel the change in engine torque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nerobro posted:

Exhaust valves too, were a car thing first?

Well, it really depends on whether you classify the Daimler Reitwagen as a motorcycle or as a car. It's generally a motorcycle configuration, but it also has permanently affixed outriggers for a total of four wheels, and the front wheel has no rake or trail. So while you straddle it like a motorcycle, and it superficially looks like one, it really shares its dynamics more with a car. In any case, it was the first internal combustion vehicle to use an exhaust valve.

:v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yamaha had servo tuned exhaust runners back in the 80s. exup, etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nerobro posted:

Driven almost entirely by emissions. And at that, euro emissions. Though it's not the "lots" of bikes, it's still quite a few bikes that are running grandfathered "emissions" systems.

Primitive might be the wrong word. Specialized? Lets go with that. Modern sportbikes have multiple maps you can select from, adjustable horsepower, etc... which are really neat tricks.

The secondary butterflys are an electronic version of vacuum slides on carbs. It's there, in a large part, to compensate for problems with having digital fuel controls. Some early EFI street bikes still had the vacuum slides! Others just had awful off-idle throttle control. But if you have a servo driven throttle valve.... now you can do torque limiting and throttle response tuning.

Yeah MAP is not great for drivability, but it is good for power. So they're not completely blind. But given the space constraints of a bike, you can't really get proper MAF readings. You'll notice that on cars, the MAF is frequently disconnected from the plenum by a very large volume, and frequently a long hose. MAP also means the bike isn't always going to be able to compensate for changing air conditions. EG: it starts raining, or you go up a big hill.

Bikes have always had the high performance aspects of engine sophistication. Big pressurized plenums. Individual throttle bodies. Showerhead injectors were a thing back in.. 94 or 95? Variable length intakes were pioneered (at a production level) on cars. I thought the snap down throttle body extensions were neat when I saw those on the.. R1? Neat stuff, is that common now? Exhaust valves too, were a car thing first? I remember the first bike I rode with an exhaust valve, it was a Triumph 675. The transition from quiet to "Yeah, i'm gonna eat you now" was really fun, and you could feel the change in engine torque.

Those vacuum slide Tb's had a really sweet response, I like them a lot. Simple system that gets great results.

The snap down velocity stacks are pretty common on sporty bikes now, the Daytona 675 you rode would've had them.

Exhaust valves are no longer used for performance purposes afaik, it's entirely a noise thing nowadays.

You should post more often.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Happy Thanksgiving, motogoons.

I’m thankful for cool motorcycles that go vroooom budda budda budda budda and for people here that have always been ready with advice

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I'm thankful for the way the motorcycle turns a trek across town for missing Thanksgiving dinner ingredients from a chore into an excursion in gorgeous fall weather. Also for a voluminous topbox and all those bugs that had to die so I could pick up the groceries, sorry fuckers, I hope none of those thuds was a butterfly.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Wtf is going on in Portland? There is a fatal motorcycle wreck every other week or so it seems.
2 just in the last 48 hours.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ehh I bet it’s a holiday thing, more people drinking and riding.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Daylight savings also moved back sunset back to, like, 4:15. I’m sure that’s not helping.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Russian Bear posted:

Ehh I bet it’s a holiday thing, more people drinking and riding.

Also cars drinking and driving

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here is my experience shopping for gear online on Black Friday

I was thinking of maybe buying some higher-ankle boots but everything I like has "babyfeet" or "clownshoes" stock, else sold out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've accepted the reality that electric motorcycles will never have a very good range, physics being what it is, and the ones that have the best range will always weigh 500+ pounds and cost 25 grand. So I think I'm going to quit holding out for some unicorn and just let electric bikes be good at what they're good at, which is silently and torquily ripping around a city, and now I want a Zero FXE.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I've accepted the reality that electric motorcycles will never have a very good range, physics being what it is, and the ones that have the best range will always weigh 500+ pounds and cost 25 grand. So I think I'm going to quit holding out for some unicorn and just let electric bikes be good at what they're good at, which is silently and torquily ripping around a city, and now I want a Zero FXE.

Dunno where you are but I'm in PA and selling my SR/F. Amazing bike and ridiculous fun, but the garage is just way too full.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I'm not worried about range so much as charging duration. If I could get an hour's worth of riding at speed for 15 minutes of charging, I think I could make that work.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
At best, you have the ratio inverted

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah it’s the charge time for me too. The convenience of filling a tank for 3 minutes and getting 200 miles of range cannot be overstated

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
My Zero charges at 6kW, and gets an hour of riding from an hour of charge, ish.

Most of the big bikes built after mine are capable of DC fast charging (typical equipment goes up to 150kW but the bikes will cap much lower), and should hit your 15 minute goal, though not your price goal quite yet. Unfortunately the Zero FX/FXE go in the other direction, they have smallish batteries, middling range, and tiny chargers, to keep the price and weight down. You’re not going to have your light flickable supermoto that charges fast anytime soon. You can still have a crazy fun commuter though, even if you don’t have a power plug at work it’ll probably have the range needed.

It’s still early days for electric motorbikes. They get trickle down tech from the cars and the cars are able to paper over the flaws by throwing weight (huge batteries and cooling systems) at the problem.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yeah it’s the charge time for me too. The convenience of filling a tank for 3 minutes and getting 200 miles of range cannot be overstated

pff you're acting like this would be my only motorcycle

i agree, fast charging (at least 1C) would be ideal and i can't figure out why zero has been dragging their feet on that for so long. maybe ulf knows of a technical reason. but the range of the fxe is enough to get all over the city for a few days in a row, or across the bridges and back, and that's most of my riding these days, so...

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Ulf posted:

Unfortunately the Zero FX/FXE go in the other direction, they have smallish batteries, middling range, and tiny chargers, to keep the price and weight down.

If they'd want to keep weight out of the motorcycle, could they keep it on the charging equipment? In the same way that lots of electrical appliances move their transformers out of the appliance itself and into a huge square plug. (I don't know anything about this.)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Slide Hammer posted:

If they'd want to keep weight out of the motorcycle, could they keep it on the charging equipment? In the same way that lots of electrical appliances move their transformers out of the appliance itself and into a huge square plug. (I don't know anything about this.)

This is exactly what some people do. You can stack external chargers to get up to a pretty high rate. Some leave the setup at home, some build it into a top box or similar. (speaking to gen2 bikes)

The move for fastest charging on gen3 bikes (SR/S, SR/F, probably the DSR/X soon) is to get the charge tank then also this double J plug adapter: https://www.emotodesign.com/product-page/dj-rapidcharge, since most level 2 stations top out at 6kw, this will let you use two at a time for the full 12kw. It ain't cheap though.

I have the slowest charger on my SR/F, 3kw, which means 4hrs for a full 0-100% charge. It's absurdly expensive to even upgrade to 6kw, let alone 9-12kw, so I just deal with it. It means it's a local toy instead of something I can do any kind of distance on. But the fact that I can realistically only go 50 miles (max if I ride easy, less if I ride the way I do my other bikes) in any direction before turning home is one of the reasons it doesn't get ridden as much as my other bikes and I'm selling it. They make amazing commuters or around town bikes, but just ain't there for longer rides unless you splash out some serious cash for faster charging and even then you're going to be stopping pretty often.

Super fun bike but I'll buy back in in 5-10 years when all the stats are improved.

opengl fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 26, 2023

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
It was a few seconds of Fortnine riding a Zero on a forested road that made me first start thinking about making the leap from riding my scooter around to getting a motorcycle but I haven’t even considered an electric bike since then.

Range concerns and price were my immediate concerns. Even electric scooters, where range isn’t much of an issue, are still too pricey for what they are unless you’re doing a super cheap electric conversion on something you already own.

I really like being out all day or for days at a time, so the tech just isn’t there for what I want yet. If I ever get really serious about off-road riding, I wonder if an electric dirt bike I can throw on the back of the Hiace might be a good option but even that is probably years away.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I see an occasional electric bike at Brown's Camp, but it's very rare

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

pff you're acting like this would be my only motorcycle

Right but I’m coming from a goldwing where my use case is traveling, not commuting. No second bike on a road trip.

For commuting, sure, it’s much less of a problem.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Right but I’m coming from a goldwing where my use case is traveling, not commuting. No second bike on a road trip.

For commuting, sure, it’s much less of a problem.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not a dirtbike. Shameful

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Popped into the local BMW dealership, lots of 2023s on discount with 0% APR. Sales guy was cool, mentioned they don’t do any funny price stuff, whatever is posted on the thing plus tax and tags. Too bad BMW doesn’t make anything I’d want.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I'm surrounded by major metro areas but if I want a dealer that has any stock in anything that's Not Harley or a handful of those 125cc Honda variants, I gotta go at least 90 minutes out to find that

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
The Harley dealer near me has royal Enfields that look dope as hell but aren't functional enough for me.They also have Hondas and bmws.

I like looking at all the pretty stuff but I need a dadmudhog

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone make modern electronic gauges that fit in the round gauge buckets of old bikes?

I’m going to be getting my 75 Kawi F11 back on the road over the winter and both the tach and speedo are completely shot internally. I can buy used ones on eBay but they’ll probably just die too, plus I’d rather not mess with getting new drive cables and all that.

So this has me looking for modern gauges that look vintage enough that they won’t be wildly out of place on a 75 enduro like a trail tech vapor would be

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
:wtc:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The WCC Wikipedia page certainly has a viewpoint.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I revel in the schadenfreude of people who paid 6 figures for a dogshit bike being forced to unload them for $0.50 on the dollar or less and still not selling them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

1 OF A KIND

jesus, thank god

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

If you stop thinking of it as a motorcycle and instead as an art project… it’s kinda cool! I mean I think it’s hideous but someone thinks it’s beautiful, it’s an art installation that makes noise and can move! I sometimes think that I’m glad someone is making these, because what would they be doing otherwise :v:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

epswing posted:

If you stop thinking of it as a motorcycle and instead as an art project… it’s kinda cool! I mean I think it’s hideous but someone thinks it’s beautiful, it’s an art installation that makes noise and can move! I sometimes think that I’m glad someone is making these, because what would they be doing otherwise :v:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Raked all the way to Sturgis

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Those are the other guys

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I didn't know there were others. ::stonklol: We may have a problem.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

I didn't know there were others. ::stonklol: We may have a problem.

West Coast Choppers is the guy who started in California, claimed an Old West Bank robber as an ancestor, was married to Sandra Bullock, did Monster Garage for a while, and moved to Texas. Orange County Choppers is the family that started in New York, was shown yelling at each other a whole lot on their TV show, and moved to Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

For what it's worth, which is not fifty grand, WCC is much more highly regarded and legit than OCC