Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I like the intro quite a bit but the outro music didn't quite work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Sorry when I said "previous version" I meant "preview version" ie this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rizcm_Q4l2U

There's some extra percussive stuff (especially over the end credits) and it doesn't sound as clean.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 26, 2023

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I really liked the new intro and outro lol. Was wondering what the almost percussive vocal element added was, I dig it.

I guess someone had to.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
New intro was good. Felt like an update of the rtd era intro mixed with a little bit of the first matt smith intro.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Big and enthusiastic and fearless and mad and going a mile a minute! Both RTD and the episode.

Well, we got the “good scientist in a wheelchair” in the first story, and while the gamemaster in me is thinking “RTD, do you really want to make the Sonic even more effective,” I prefer this fearless boldness over Chibnall’s timidity any day.

quote="Jerusalem" post="536159644"]
Big ups to Shaun, who loves his wife and daughter very much and just takes absolutely everything in stride :)

I loved the little aside between him and Donna when they were in the attic.

Doctor: This is a Sonic Screwdriver, one thing it's great at is resonating with concrete.
Shaun: That's not concrete, it's mortar.
Donna: Thank you, Bob the Builder.
[/quote]

Shaun drives a cab in London. I’m pretty sure he always takes everything in stride.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Beep the Meep is trending on Twitter, thank you RTD

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Pleasantly suprised so many people who knew the meep plot twist kept it a secret. I mean it was very easy to find if you really wanted to know but on social media people were largely pretty good.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
That was loving DELIGHTFUL. Just good old fashioned fun Doctor Who.

I cackled when The Doctor asked the Meep about pronouns and when told that they always "The Meep" and he response "Oh I do that.":

Tennant and Tate back together is just wonderful, and I am sad probably won't get a tone of time with Rose but I adore her.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Fantastic stuff. And apparently I have a new all-time favorite console room, just from that few minutes. Sorry, 12.

Adorable how excited the Doctor is over it. Or should I say how excited Tennant is. After all, he never got his own console room.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Confusedslight posted:

Pleasantly suprised so many people who knew the meep plot twist kept it a secret. I mean it was very easy to find if you really wanted to know but on social media people were largely pretty good.

Finding out that it was based on a comic was a big surprise.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I thought some of the Piss Off Twitter bits were clunky but as the man says, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT I THINK. Sometimes you really do gotta drop a few anvils.

It's great seeing Tennant and Tate back in the saddle. And I dig the hell out of the control room, it's way more "what we think the 70s thought the future would look like" than it is Apple. Like they took the computer room for the Nostromo and blew it up by 300%.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

That was loving DELIGHTFUL. Just good old fashioned fun Doctor Who.

I cackled when The Doctor asked the Meep about pronouns and when told that they always "The Meep" and he response "Oh I do that.":

Tennant and Tate back together is just wonderful, and I am sad probably won't get a tone of time with Rose but I adore her.

started watching some of the old making-of series afterwards and this was in the first episode.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Charming! I'm much more looking forward to the next Doctor and new feelings but... this was completely charming. I want to echo whoever said that I wasn't 100% on board with RTD back in his first era, but it feels so good to have him back.

It was absurd, and awkward, and not 100% tightly scripted... but I did not give one solitary poo poo about any of that. It was charming. I care about a lot less, now that I'm a lot older. It's such a remarkable step up, in terms of raw vibes, from the Chibnall era. Whitaker was fantastic, but the show... was not. And now it is. It didn't need to be more coherent. It just needed that ineffable energy.

I didn't get too invested in the able bodied Davros conversation here, but I hope whoever was upset about lack of disabled representation an able bodied Davros represented can appreciate that RTD really has his heart in the right place.

And along those lines- while the binary/nonbinary stuff didn't really land, even for me, someone who feels pretty solidly nonbinary, I don't give a heck. I feel what RTD was saying so firmly was so incredibly positive that I'm just beaming.

Someone said the twitter discourse was poo poo and like... isn't it great that we don't have to loving care? There's nothing we have to say. The showrunner has our back. Anyone who is influenced by their love of Doctor Who is being told in no uncertain terms- gently caress all that poo poo. Respect folks. gently caress off. It's completely heartwarming.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My one complaint is they have too much budget. They need to pare it back at least 40%, I don’t want to see any goddamned visual manifestation of the sonic doing stuff aside from an appropriately colored flashlight beam

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wolfechu posted:

Adorable how excited the Doctor is over it. Or should I say how excited Tennant is. After all, he never got his own console room.

Jesus, you know I never really thought about that but you're right, he had 9's and it stayed with him his entire run.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus, you know I never really thought about that but you're right, he had 9's and it stayed with him his entire run.

Writing him running about when he first goes in must have been easy; just lead David up to the set with a blindfold on.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
So... does anyone have ANY guesses as to what the next episode is actually about?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Had a quick rewatch and in the end my only real complaint is the engines shutting down repairs the road in reverse :laffo:

https://i.imgur.com/H74a2Im.mp4

"Oh I know some roads even taxi drivers don't, trust me. Grand Master of the Knowledge!"
"That says Grand Mistress.."
"Oh.. *slaps Psychic Paper* Catch up!"
:allears:

lines posted:

So... does anyone have ANY guesses as to what the next episode is actually about?

Donna fucks up
Hilarity ensues

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

lines posted:

Based on the title, I'm assuming something involving flight or being high in the sky, but that's because I have nothing else to go on and am taking a wild stab! However...

Infinitum posted:

Donna fucks up
Hilarity ensues

:hellyeah:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
To be fair they did say the double dog dare drive or whatever was reversing, not just stopping -- but yeah when all of London had the massive cracks to hell forming everywhere I was like that's still a shitload of damage to deal with even once they stop the drat ewok.

I genuinely would've appreciated even a single goofy line like that about most of the universe that time it was destroyed.

I got a kick out of the kid in the window was just having a good safe time watching all the chaos.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's kind of funny that if you excise the modern pronouns and trans talk, the ending was basically the kind of 90s-esque "battle of the sexes" stuff that Steven Moffat still writes to this day. Like in The Doctor The Widow And The Wardrobe where men are "weak" and women are "strong". Davies just replaced "man" with "male-presenting person".

Of course, excising the pronouns and trans aspects is easier said than done given how core they are to the whole thing. It's so front and centre it's straight-up confrontational. That's right bitch, we said "male-presenting" on Doctor Who, you can love it or leave it. And yet it doesn't feel like it's the show talking to the viewer and crowbarring in "woke pandering" or perhaps it's more the case that the whole show is so openly talking to the viewer (literally, at the beginning) that the woke bits(which given the political milieu the viewer is likely to be primed to interpret them as pandering that breaks the fourth wall, like that guy who ranted about a video game asking him to choose his pronouns) don't feel out of place. Commendable that Davies didn't just go there, he went there with gusto.

I liked the Doctor making the stakes clear for Donna and her accepting that she had to die without hesitation, and the resolution made about as much sense as you could expect for a 15 years later pseudoretcon and is easily handwaved in any case because aww Davies is getting to do an Everybody Lives ending. The plot was extremely thin though, and hopefully now that the fanservice is out of its system the next episodes can have some fun with new things

Vinylshadow posted:

I wonder if Tentwo's the result of Twelve borrowing from his future in Extremis

Yes, yes, we know that last bit to be a big ol' lmao, but still...
That wasn't the Doctor, it was just a simulation

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
RTD was equally, uh, unsubtle about gay representation in his first run, which is something I think he doesn't get enough credit for. Very few shows in 2005 were incorporating gay characters in a way that didn't make them cliche's or doing Gay Panic storylines, least of all family shows on Saturday evenings. Who is ultimately a show that's aimed at kids as much as it is anything else - some topics are worth being heavy handed about if it helps a 14 year old trans kid start to get to grips with how they are feeling. I know as a bi guy I certainly appreciated Captain Jack at the time, even if the whole 'he's bi, he'll bang anything' thing hasn't necessarily aged well. Although I was 19 and bi and 'this will stop you getting laid' was, sadly, my actual main concern at the time, so that was a message I kinda appreciated.

Watching his GAY AGENDA!!!! moments back now through a 2023 lens, where having gay representation on screen is far less noticeable than it was in 2005 is kinda hilarious though. Random characters just randomly kramering into frame to mention MY BOYFRIEND for, like, no reason. Here's hoping in 15 years we can look back at this episode with the similar sentimental eye roll.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Someone on Cookd & Bombd pointed out that a 'double dagger' (as in the Meep's Double Dagger Drive) is also the name of the ‡ symbol.

‡ used to be how the Radio Times would denote a repeat in their TV listings. :golfclap:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha, that's cute :)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wolfechu posted:

Writing him running about when he first goes in must have been easy; just lead David up to the set with a blindfold on.

God I hope they did that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I wonder if they’re going to just decorate that console room for Ncuti, or if he’s going to get his own too. It’s new and interesting, all iConsole and looping ramps, but it looks freezing. Also, I don’t think there’s a single seat?

Also, Wild Blue Yonder. The TARDIS is blue…

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Jerusalem posted:

Tennant is the "14th" Doctor (there have been more than 14, with Jo Martin and John Hurt being the Fugitive and War Doctors respectively), with Ncuti Gatwa being the 15th. Tennant and Tate are back for 3 specials with the latter two happening over the next two weeks. Then on Christmas Day is the first episode of the next season, kicking off the Gatwa run.

Wait, and when's the second episode of Gatwa?

Like... is this it, is it just on now?

I'm only just getting over looking at my calendar and realising that three specials and a Christmas Special (which I previously thought was the third) means it's just on now and we've got an episode every Saturday until Christmas!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The next two specials are next week and the week after, then there is a 2 week break before Gatwa's 1st episode on Christmas Day. That's a special that is "preceding" series 14 (now renumbered to series 1) so I don't think we have any official airdates for Gatwa's first season just yet, only the first episode that is all his as the Doctor.

However, apparently they're already filming (or have filmed?) season 15, so for the first time in a long time we might actually get a full season a year again!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That was exactly what I expected, and I don't know if that's good or not. The middle third was really fun, though.

CobiWann posted:

Posted without context.

The Star Beast was published in 1980, so if anything Cuddlesome is the ripoff.

Random Stranger posted:

I think when it was announced that Davies was coming back I said something like, "His highs were rarely as high as the show could be, but his lows were never that low."

And you got it exactly backwards!

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Jerusalem posted:

The next two specials are next week and the week after, then there is a 2 week break before Gatwa's 1st episode on Christmas Day.

Oh thank goodness, I miscounted how many weeks are left until Christmas then. If anyone can think of anything I can get for my parents we may still have time...

quote:

However, apparently they're already filming (or have filmed?) season 15, so for the first time in a long time we might actually get a full season a year again!

Isn't it so weird that this show and only this show hasn't been able to reliably deliver a season for ... well, god, it started in Tennant's run right? The first Specials year? I haven't felt like I can settle down and expect a normal amount of episodes since then, that year broke something. Now with Disney attached, they won't be allowed to do that again.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I can't wait to see Wilf one more time.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I can't wait to see Wilf one more time.

They got it in the can, then? They'd have had to film it more than a year ago if so...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Buml0r posted:

They got it in the can, then? They'd have had to film it more than a year ago if so...

Tennant said: "I am thrilled to say that – although very sadly he wasn't in those episodes as much as we hoped – he was on set with us and Wilfred lives on.

"Bernard is much missed and much grieved for, but I am so excited that his final screen performance will be [one] I had the great honour of being part of, and you'll see it all on your screens."

Filming for the specials wrapped July of last year

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 26, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh I'm gonna cry when it happens

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That was good, but a little cringe and uhhh gender essential-y. I think Tate's got different habits as an actor these days and I found them distracting, but I like Donna and I like her, even when I think she's hitting every note as broadly as possible.

Was surprised by how weak most of the Meep's lines were once the Meep was outed as evil (and also that's about the point where the became mostly CGI and stopped physically interacting with people and that's kinda disappointing). Also thought it was strange that for a story that was so keen to earnest to prove its politics and to be gentle with its vulnerable people, that they basically ended the story with a mentally ill being being sent to space prison for ever and ever and presented it as an uncomplicated happy ending.

The first half was really strong though, pretty much up until the Doctor pulled out that dumb wig.

Great puppet, great energy throughout, I like the new UNIT lady (though gently caress UNIT, duh) and the piece had really great energy throughout. It's so giddy and fizzy that it ends up biting the characters in the arse at the end, lmfao. Donna became an RTD Mum, which is awesome. Sylvia is great too -- I like the irony of the character's shifted relationship with Donna. Rose is lovely, but a bit of a cypher tbh, and I felt the narrative didn't do them any favours by making them quite so symbolic at the end there. (Before someone jumps down my neck, IMO the solution would have been to do more with them and to give them more shading.)

Sad they didn't end up shipping the Meep off to Saudi Arabia at the end though. Real missed opportunity for a gag there IMO.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

How is the Meep mentally ill?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Driven mad by the sun, but also I don't think it's particularly relevant to real life mental illness

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was a good fun episode of doctor who, i think i'm actually excited for next week's episode. It's been a while.

Going to assume that this episode was set a few years in the future since obviously not enough time has passed since 2008 for donna to have a 15 year old daughter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
You know, while I'm not sure that episode was exceptionally good, but I do feel like it was exactly the episode I needed to see.

I was thinking recently that I might have moved on from Doctor Who. That I was finding a lot of the things I liked Doctor Who for doing from other things, that were doing it more deliberately or with more focus, and usually doing it at least a bit better. Actually approaching Star Trek in a way that didn't repel me from it (if you're a 'start from episode 1' person like me you start with Deep Space Nine, not TNG) is giving me a good dose of episodic sci-fi, if I want weirdly convoluted action and problem-solving anime's got me covered, and it turns out the kind of horror I like seeing from Doctor Who exists more in literature than it does in more visual media. (I've even started writing some myself!) Maybe, quality of the Chibnall seasons aside, I'm less interested in Doctor Who because it's sort of served its purpose for me, and I can move on. I can just embrace Doctor Who as a thing with different eras that mean different things to me and I can take or leave any particular part of it, like I do with Final Fantasy or Gundam.

And maybe that's true. But this episode's reminded me of the one thing Doctor Who does do better than all those other things I've found in the meantime: to go big and dumb, in the most enthusiastic way possible. Yeah, other stuff can be as good as Doctor Who at its best, but whose worst impulses are as fun as Doctor Who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the other soldiers aren't held accountable for what they did (or tried to do) while they were affected by the space madness (or whatever, the magic sunlight that flips your switch to evil) so it's odd that the Meep is.