Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

the yeti posted:

That sounds really cool—do you mind going into what the hardware situation for that looks like?

The HA stack including frigate are Docker images on my 8700k home server, some old Reolink POE cameras, and a m2 coral module, though that’s not strictly necessary anymore since the detection stuff runs on gpus, including intel integrated ones now.

5 cameras, something like 8% cpu usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

cstine posted:

The HA stack including frigate are Docker images on my 8700k home server, some old Reolink POE cameras, and a m2 coral module, though that’s not strictly necessary anymore since the detection stuff runs on gpus, including intel integrated ones now.

5 cameras, something like 8% cpu usage.

That's pretty lightweight, I wasn't sure how essential the coral module was but if it keeps cpu that far down.

I haven't even begun to look at cameras yet but it sorta seems like they can run 60-70$ up to infinity?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

the yeti posted:

That's pretty lightweight, I wasn't sure how essential the coral module was but if it keeps cpu that far down.

I haven't even begun to look at cameras yet but it sorta seems like they can run 60-70$ up to infinity?

Yeah. I'm on "team $60 camera". I have a bunch of reolinks that are POE and weatherproof. They work great, but call home to china CONSTANTLY, so they are in their own VLAN that has no other devices and no internet access. The only other thing in there is the secondary NIC of my recording setup (I use Blue Iris).

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

devmd01 posted:

Cool, apparently the Reolink RLC820A doesn’t work with milestone at all, it is out of spec from onvif from my research. This one is going back, anyone have a different, reasonably priced brand for a 4k Poe camera that is onvif compliant?

E: amcrest looks decent

What draws you to XProtect? Legit curious as I start to dip my toes into the "license per cam" tier of software beyond Dahua DSS.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I used to install milestone ip camera systems for a retailer. The free version was the path of least resistance when I started to run wiring for cameras at my house.

I just switched to Blue Iris this week though, still need to do some tweaking.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Suggestions for dimmer switches? Preferably something that doesn't require the cloud. My wife has gotten more on board with using Home Assistant so want to get a few dimmer switches.

And what about a robot vacuum or is local only worthless?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

calandryll posted:

Suggestions for dimmer switches? Preferably something that doesn't require the cloud. My wife has gotten more on board with using Home Assistant so want to get a few dimmer switches.

And what about a robot vacuum or is local only worthless?

Im using a mix of honeywell or GE z-wave and zigbee switches which connect to the zigbee/ z-wave dongle on my Pi running HA. These are local only and have worked great for 3 years now.

GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RRD92T8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

That Works fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 25, 2023

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've been pretty happy with a mix of Kasa and Shelly for local control.

Side note: it's a right pain in the rear end that only some manufacturers cover certain market segments. In this case the only smart floodlights/high lumen (over 1k) bulbs I can find are Hue, and I have zero other Phillips products. (Many of my switches do not have a neutral so smart switches are out)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Plugged in all the Christmas lights, enabled the HA automations and everything worked flawlessly. Absolutely worth the money spent on z-wave adapters last year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

FunOne posted:

Want to get started with Home Assistant, my house has a mixture of existing smart home stuff from various brands and I have no idea what band/system/whatever they're on.

Is there a recommended all-in-one USB dongle that'll handle everything for me?

Not really but you can set up HA and see what it finds, you might need anything else. If you do need a unifying hub, most things work with an echo as a hub without you having to decouple things from the original control system, and HA will work nicely with it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

toplitzin posted:

I've been pretty happy with a mix of Kasa and Shelly for local control.

Side note: it's a right pain in the rear end that only some manufacturers cover certain market segments. In this case the only smart floodlights/high lumen (over 1k) bulbs I can find are Hue, and I have zero other Phillips products. (Many of my switches do not have a neutral so smart switches are out)

Yeah I ended up buying some Kasa switches because they were dirt cheap for a 3 pack.

I also picked up a Sonoff NSPanel Pro to run HA app on for the family to use, will write up more once I get it up and running.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I’m annoyed ikea replaced their 5 button lithium battery switch with a 4 button AA. I was using all 5 buttons drat it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Hughlander posted:

I’m annoyed ikea replaced their 5 button lithium battery switch with a 4 button AA. I was using all 5 buttons drat it.

I like those too but drat they chew through CR2032s annoyingly fast. It looks like the new ones went to AAAs which is definitely an improvement there.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

priznat posted:

I like those too but drat they chew through CR2032s annoyingly fast. It looks like the new ones went to AAAs which is definitely an improvement there.

I hadn’t changed for 2 years then it stopped working. Then when I changed it didn’t start working. Not sure what I’m going to drop.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Hughlander posted:

I hadn’t changed for 2 years then it stopped working. Then when I changed it didn’t start working. Not sure what I’m going to drop.

Yeah they’re a pain sometimes too, sometimes you can just swap the battery out and it reconnects, other times you have to go thru the full pairing process again.

Overall I like the tradfri line but they have their irritating quirks for sure :haw: but they are drat cheap!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

GigaFuzz posted:

Assuming you're using ZHA for Zigbee:

It looks like the Philips Hue Tap Dial should work, with e.g. this blueprint: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/philips-hue-tap-dial-switch-zha/446636. I've not used it myself though.

If you don't need the dimmer dial and are okay with buttons instead, I can confirm that the Hue Dimmer Switch works fine. You can bind the buttons to whatever you want. I use this blueprint: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/zha-philips-hue-v2-smart-dimmer-switch-and-remote-rwl022/353143

Necroquoting this to offer thanks. Got it installed with basically no effort using a different blueprint, and it's fantastic.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Rick posted:

Not really but you can set up HA and see what it finds, you might need anything else. If you do need a unifying hub, most things work with an echo as a hub without you having to decouple things from the original control system, and HA will work nicely with it.

I don't understand. You're saying a RPi should be able to see these devices? I don't have an echo. Nothing I have now talks to the door and window sensors that I can control.

Surely I have to have some dongle to talk to these devices attached to my doors and windows. I could repurpose the security company device if there's a guide to hacking those, but I figured that would be locked down. It's not in use or enabled currently, but I don't think it is still talking to the doors and windows.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

priznat posted:

Yeah they’re a pain sometimes too, sometimes you can just swap the battery out and it reconnects, other times you have to go thru the full pairing process again.

Overall I like the tradfri line but they have their irritating quirks for sure :haw: but they are drat cheap!

Yah it wouldn't repair, that's why I went to get a replacement. And They're not so drat cheap now since they're not being sold :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

FunOne posted:

I don't understand. You're saying a RPi should be able to see these devices? I don't have an echo. Nothing I have now talks to the door and window sensors that I can control.

Surely I have to have some dongle to talk to these devices attached to my doors and windows. I could repurpose the security company device if there's a guide to hacking those, but I figured that would be locked down. It's not in use or enabled currently, but I don't think it is still talking to the doors and windows.

What dongles you need, if any, depends on what devices you have. Looking up the branding in the HA integrations database will give you useful information about what you need to talk to them, if they're listed there.

In general:
- wifi devices don't need any additional hardware assuming HA is connected to the same network
- bluetooth devices need a bluetooth controller; RPi 3/4 boards have one built in
- zigbee, z-wave, and thread devices need their corresponding dongles
- no idea on other devices

Note that there may be additional hoops you need to jump through to get them working. A lot of wifi-connected devices work by getting commands through a cloud service rather than being controllable locally, and are difficult or impossible to switch to local control. Zigbee devices will likely require you physically interact with the devices to get them to pair with a new hub. Some stuff uses proprietary short-range protocols and the only way to take control of it is to hack the hub it talks to rather than the devices themselves. Etc.

I only have zigbee devices, and I control them with this dongle which I've been quite happy with. But if your devices don't use Zigbee, that won't help you at all.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Dropping in to say my first home assistant automation is working flawlessly.

Xmas lights on our charlie brown norfolk island pine turn on at sunset, turn off at midnight.

:cool:

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

TheDK posted:

Dropping in to say my first home assistant automation is working flawlessly.

Xmas lights on our charlie brown norfolk island pine turn on at sunset, turn off at midnight.

:cool:

I was surprised how easy it was, after I fixed how my devices were organized.

ToxicFrog posted:

What dongles you need, if any, depends on what devices you have. Looking up the branding in the HA integrations database will give you useful information about what you need to talk to them, if they're listed there.

In general:
- wifi devices don't need any additional hardware assuming HA is connected to the same network
- bluetooth devices need a bluetooth controller; RPi 3/4 boards have one built in
- zigbee, z-wave, and thread devices need their corresponding dongles
- no idea on other devices

Note that there may be additional hoops you need to jump through to get them working. A lot of wifi-connected devices work by getting commands through a cloud service rather than being controllable locally, and are difficult or impossible to switch to local control. Zigbee devices will likely require you physically interact with the devices to get them to pair with a new hub. Some stuff uses proprietary short-range protocols and the only way to take control of it is to hack the hub it talks to rather than the devices themselves. Etc.
Bolded an important part. Anything you automate will fail on those devices if you lost internet or if the mfg updates to a subscription model.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One advantage of HomeKit- it specifically does not do that, devices must support local control to claim they're compatible

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I currently use a Reolink NVR with some 4k cameras - very happy with it. Then I saw I could get the new Reolink colour night vision camera for £66 in the sales so grabbed one.

I have to say I am super impressed with it. The resolution is lower (2560*1440) but the colour night vision is really quite impressive. I've got it in a location with no direct light at all - The only light is just street lights reflecting off other houses, and the picture is great.

I haven't enabled the built-in lights yet, but saw they can be configured to trigger based on movement, or detection of people/animals/cars. All of this is local - no cloud AI needed for the detection.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I have a Schlage Encode Plus dead bolt that allows you to unlock with Apple Home Key. I would like to the do same thing but for my garage door, have a little keypad or something that you could hold up an Apple Watch or iPhone to and it would open the garage. Mostly so that my kid can open the garage door without having to memorize a code or whatever.

Anyone else have something like this set up?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think you'd have to figure out some kind of automation. Chamberlain finally made a smart keypad for their garage doors that has a built in camera and the capability to assign people temporary PINs and whatnot, but aside from that I don't think anyone has made anything for the keypad side of things

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Boner Wad posted:

I have a Schlage Encode Plus dead bolt that allows you to unlock with Apple Home Key. I would like to the do same thing but for my garage door, have a little keypad or something that you could hold up an Apple Watch or iPhone to and it would open the garage. Mostly so that my kid can open the garage door without having to memorize a code or whatever.

Anyone else have something like this set up?

You might be able to do something like this with a SwitchBot which I think work with HomeKit. Set up a keypad outside the garage and create an automation to trigger the SwitchBot which sits on the garage button inside.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

So, smart lighting. I got addicted to having voice-controlled lights, but originally I just bought whatever was on sale so I was juggling several different apps. When I moved, I figured I'd consolidate, so I bought a total of 14 Wiz bulbs between March and May of this year.

So far nine of the loving things have failed. The company's been good about replacements, but every time one of the bastards packs it in it's several days of back-and-forth with customer support and a week of waiting for the replacement to arrive, and I have a feeling if the replacements suck too they're going to eventually stop being cool about warranty service.

I've heard that Zigbee is a much more reliable standard than wifi (it's the wifi that dies on these loving things every time, they all still work as dumb bulbs, but they're uncontrollable and unsyncable). Is there a mid-range or should I just bite the bullet and go straight to Hue? I'm hesitant because Wiz and Hue are both Philips and Wiz is a goddamn trash fire-- can anyone reassure me there's a night-and-day difference in the reliability of these things?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I've been using Hue bulbs and hub for probably about 4 years now and have only had 1 bulb die on me out of 32 bulbs, 11 switches, and 1 button. And that bulb may have died due to using it in one of those older style lamps where you can change the intensity of the light by rotating a rod on the side of it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hue’s warranty rocks too. They replaced my pedestal lights around my pool because one ground stake snapped off when a skunk or some poo poo ran into it, and the other just straight up died. Had 2 new lights a week later.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Scruff McGruff posted:

You might be able to do something like this with a SwitchBot which I think work with HomeKit. Set up a keypad outside the garage and create an automation to trigger the SwitchBot which sits on the garage button inside.

I’m cool with automations, I have Home assistant and was using the Liftmaster myQ integration until they blocked access. I’m mainly looking for a keypad that would work and I can trigger the door opening once I get my ratgdo.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Pulling the trigger. Going to set up my home theater/gaming room with Hue bulbs for ambiance and see how they go, and then move ahead from there.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

For balance, I've had a similar size Wiz setup work near flawlessly for about a year now, but being wifi it really does depend on a huge pile of variables that are sometimes out of your hands so if you want to be sure a standalone network on a band you control is always going to be more reliable.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Some WiFi devices that are based around ESP chips can be re flashed to work locally with MQTT if there isn’t another implementation for you using Tasmota . Some work involved there but it may be a way to rescue some things that want cloud services or some other hook to work.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Most white box smart bulbs that are Tuya compatible can be flashed with OpenBeken using tuya-cloudcutter as well. It's a bit of effort but so far (11 bulbs, 10 in outdoor fixtures, about two years) no issues.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tuya has updated a lot of poo poo so the ota reflash is a no go.

To the garage door by/phone person:
Tailwind.
https://gotailwind.com/

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I've been toying with the idea of replacing the couple homekit/logitech cameras I have with a full Synology NAS/Surveillance Station setup with some Reolink cams. After our neighbor's house got broken into last night my timeline for this has been expedited a bit, so trying to piece together the components of what I'll need here.

Presumably, a relatively basic 2-bay NAS, a couple 8(ish) TB hard drives, my cameras of choice, and someone who can wire them up will cover my bases. I've read through most of the Surveillance Station site, and it seems like the software set up should be relatively straightforward. Is there anything major I'm missing?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Hue’s warranty rocks too. They replaced my pedestal lights around my pool because one ground stake snapped off when a skunk or some poo poo ran into it, and the other just straight up died. Had 2 new lights a week later.

FYI for the thread, Hue is currently locking down local-only control. Hubs will no longer function soon without an associated connected account.

The only reasonable explanation that I can think of is subscription based feature lock, a la myQ, or data harvesting. Maybe they’ll back down after how brutalized myQ is getting but I doubt it.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/28/23892761/philips-hue-app-account-changes

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 30, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think it's because they're developing security devices like cameras. My Hue app has a Cameras section in the settings. I'm guessing they're going to be selling cloud storage subscriptions for that or something. I highly doubt they'll start loving with subscription light access. But hey, I could be wrong, especially after seeing myQ doing myQ things.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Extremely glad that I migrated my Hues to zigbee2mqtt recently. They work exactly as well as before and have considerably strengthened my mesh, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

FYI for the thread, Hue is currently locking down local-only control. Hubs will no longer function soon without an associated connected account.

The only reasonable explanation that I can think of is subscription based feature lock, a la myQ, or data harvesting. Maybe they’ll back down after how brutalized myQ is getting but I doubt it.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/28/23892761/philips-hue-app-account-changes

Thanks for posting. Now I'm thinking I should just straight up switch to native ZigBee... I already have a mesh and don't use the hue app at all anyway (using the bridge from HomeAssistant).