Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Carmant posted:

Benn Gearman, who I just learned about for the first time today, is synth hitler IMO. Anyway I bought the teenage engineering sampler because it looks cool. Hope it actually ships and it isn't one of those things where they oversold by a million units.

if we're going to keep talking about it anyway with morons shuffling in to post nothing but how cool they are for not caring about anything beyond themselves, here's what benn jordan and apparently you think should remain unchallenged in discussion.

if you want the topic dropped then simply shut the gently caress up about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Koala is still $20 right?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

withak posted:

Koala is still $20 right?

$5 entry fee with the additional IAPs at $4 (Stems and additional effects "Samurai") $5 (Mixer) and $2 (Koala as AuV3)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Huh, I thought I remembered it being more than that. Hopefully people try that out before buying an upscaled KO.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

And it comes with an ableton live lite license on iOS at least (iirc not android?)

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Grassy Knowles posted:

if we're going to keep talking about it anyway with morons shuffling in to post nothing but how cool they are for not caring about anything beyond themselves, here's what benn jordan and apparently you think should remain unchallenged in discussion.

if you want the topic dropped then simply shut the gently caress up about it.

You should seek help for your mental health issues.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

duck.exe posted:

Teenage Engineering has a new lo-fi sampler that’s actually affordable!?

https://youtu.be/yeafE30nIC4?si=mwMgYR4HluWQpsnc

https://teenage.engineering/store/ep-133/

oh boy 😬

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Someone talk me out of (or into!) the RK-008. Anyone here have one already?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I begrudgingly have to admit I’m into the new TE sampler. Glad to see them putting out more affordable stuff after recently creeping into higher and higher price ranges.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Stan Taylor posted:

I begrudgingly have to admit I’m into the new TE sampler. Glad to see them putting out more affordable stuff after recently creeping into furniture and interior design

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Grassy Knowles posted:

As a vehement TE critic, I really like this

:same:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Stan Taylor posted:

I begrudgingly have to admit I’m into the new TE sampler. Glad to see them putting out more affordable stuff after recently creeping into higher and higher price ranges.

Yeah, I'm really digging this from what I've seen. This demo video is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeafE30nIC4

If they can keep them in stock they're gonna sell an absolute shitload of them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is it just that it is a lot cheaper than any of the other popular sampler/sequencers?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

purposefully ignoring watching anything about it til ive got more cash ready, the price seems great compared to an mpc or something

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

withak posted:

Is it just that it is a lot cheaper than any of the other popular sampler/sequencers?

It looks like its a pretty cheap, bare bones sampler with cool aesthetics and some nice touches. I've never been super interested in 404 type samplers but this one is cheap and interesting enough, I'd consider getting one. Seems like a good pairing with that minifreak I just picked up. I think they are probably going to sell a ton of these.

Now, what I really want is that weird turntable dude has in the video. 500 eurodollars tho, goddamn

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

800peepee51doodoo posted:

It looks like its a pretty cheap, bare bones sampler with cool aesthetics and some nice touches. I've never been super interested in 404 type samplers but this one is cheap and interesting enough, I'd consider getting one. Seems like a good pairing with that minifreak I just picked up. I think they are probably going to sell a ton of these.

Now, what I really want is that weird turntable dude has in the video. 500 eurodollars tho, goddamn

You can get a reissued AT sound burger for $200

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Ok Comboomer posted:

You can get a reissued AT sound burger for $200

Huh, I had no idea that existed. That's pretty dope.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1a0xuQzGG0

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Sweet. This is great. Love how Jeremy just grabs the opportunity to pick Bill's brain, and flips the interview.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
i picked up the polyend play at the new price to use as a dedicated sequencer for my polysynths. gonna pair it up with the tracker which will be used for mono, drums, and samples. seems like a really cool set up and i'm glad i've been able to buy both devices for less than 1000 total.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

This was a great listen, thanks for the link. Jeremy is fantastic.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Made a little doot doot jam as a thanksgiving treat / punishment for USA goons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvf0Qmrkz5M

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
this desperately needed one or more LPGs and boing! was sitting here unpatched but I'm happy where this landed after a night of COVID-brained anger
https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/2023-11-23-spectraphon-needs-lpg

first time recording everything as individual tracks too; this is 6 different audio tracks in ableton so in theory if I wanted to go clean stuff up I could, but I'd rather start a new patch.

I broke down and finally ordered an Eventide Misha when they went on sale for $400 various places a day or two ago. Between that and PittsMod Toad, that's the $700 I had earmarked for QuBit but HEY they didn't do a black friday sale and so now I have another month to hope they do the same EOY deal they did last year. (Last year was free Surface + another small module w/$750 spend; I want to buy Data Bender and Nautilus).

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Got a DAWless going. Here's my first thing with the digitakt, microfreak and korg volca keys. https://soundcloud.com/neurocursed/...=social_sharing

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

duck.exe posted:

Teenage Engineering has a new lo-fi sampler that’s actually affordable!?

https://youtu.be/yeafE30nIC4?si=mwMgYR4HluWQpsnc

https://teenage.engineering/store/ep-133/

Seems like a sure bet for the price. Ordered one, excited to play with it.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

super nailgun posted:

Seems like a sure bet for the price. Ordered one, excited to play with it.
This guy's take on TE is interesting.
https://youtu.be/iEPttN_EYEI?si=82eEDnE_CZ_reU8t

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CPA’s must love that thing. Looks like a NES and a desktop calculator had a baby.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

xzzy posted:

CPA’s must love that thing. Looks like a NES and a desktop calculator had a baby.

It absolutely does and that's absolutely part of the appeal.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the new TE sampler doesn't seem that special to me. i already have a circuit rhythm so i don't see what it would add. it looks cool, but that only goes so far.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I grabbed a POM 400 yesterday. At $290 it seems well worth that price. Same with the price-slashed PC cases tbh.

Prolly gonna go ahead and buy the POM-16 at $60 too…

will grab a KO II whenever they become available

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Why, does he say to not buy their stuff?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Achmed Jones posted:

the new TE sampler doesn't seem that special to me. i already have a circuit rhythm so i don't see what it would add. it looks cool, but that only goes so far.

It isn't in the grand scheme of things. Its pretty basic, functionally speaking. It does look cool and it does do the main things a sampler/sequencer does and so that's going to be appealing. TE is a lifestyle brand first, synth company second. The aesthetics are the important part. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. A big part of the enjoyment of making music is the aesthetics. Not defending TE specifically, here, I think some of their choices are utterly baffling, but the fact that it's an affordable entry point to that TE lifestyle brand is probably the primary driver for the excitement over the KOII.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Mike Arthur McVein posted:

Why, does he say to not buy their stuff?

We should all buy it because it's TE and it's cheap. Also claims the field desk is $200 (it's $1600). Kind of interesting to be reviewing a product before they own it.

I've had crap experiences with TE support before, noticed is at least one video on youtube showing someone who received the ep-133 with a dead slider which they had to desolder, take apart and rebuild.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5EzA1V5X1Y

Eurorack video processing is cool. This thing (mainbow) mostly runs in the 0-1v range, can self modulate well but the only option for audio input off the bat is a built in port and pot that converts an audio signal to a 0-1v waveform.

I'm going to look to see if I can get 1v gates to come out of something to get better musical sync. But at $260 I did expect this to be a toy, LZX Chromagnon or their $2000 AIO system are the real expensive answers here but I think I need to go down this road gradually. Cool poo poo, though, and this one module is going to give me a lot to learn.

edit: I got a $120 400lumen projector for $80 on amazon black friday; I'm just gonna have this poo poo projecting next to me while I am smoking weed and making bloops in here.

I looked at the Resolme stuff, as it is indeed half off right now. Maybe next year, I recognize my time limits.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 26, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got TAL BassLine 101 on sale, and it sounds pretty dope. Wish I was more creative with it, though!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIvmxqDBCLI

I got the Mainbow to sync, to some extent, with my modular system just by loving with outputs and a voltage meter until I had things popping in the 0-1v range that Mainbow uses.

This thing is loving awesome, I have barely scratched the surface, it is definitely going to sell me down a dark 4-digit hole of video synth nonsense, and that's GREAT. I scrub through a bunch of pot changes in that video and fuckin thing is sensitive as hell to finding sweet spots, but, there's some moments of glory. Reminds me of the back drop from 90s concerts.

I have a cheap projector for this room coming this week from Amazon.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIOa0B69eVw

Just saw this Ricky Tinez video where he talks about a cool trick for using a delay as a looper. Not exactly a new idea since I know guitar players have been doing this kind of thing for a while at least, but I think he does some interesting stuff with it in the second part of the video when he switches to the Novation Peak. Fun stuff to play around with.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Boody posted:

We should all buy it because it's TE and it's cheap. Also claims the field desk is $200 (it's $1600). Kind of interesting to be reviewing a product before they own it.

I've had crap experiences with TE support before, noticed is at least one video on youtube showing someone who received the ep-133 with a dead slider which they had to desolder, take apart and rebuild.

If I am reading the specs correctly it has 64mb internal storage and no sd card slot, which makes it a no go for me even without the quality issues. But I guess I am not the market for it anyway since I don't like the design.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any recommendations for patch preset bundles? I tend to rabbit hole into sound design and not spend nearly enough time on writing, and I’d rather just prototype with some good-enough patches and tweak them later. Xpand!2 has been good for this, IME, but it’s not exactly top quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Mike Arthur McVein posted:

If I am reading the specs correctly it has 64mb internal storage and no sd card slot, which makes it a no go for me even without the quality issues. But I guess I am not the market for it anyway since I don't like the design.

It's a fairly saturated market; what seperates this from any other thing besides TE branding and a reasonable price point given TE branding?

It's still close to SP404 money.