Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Doctor Who went down hill after Jon Pertwee finished.

Ftfy

E: Jon Pertwee was the Doctor in the 327th episode of Doctor Who

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Oh dear me posted:

Ftfy

E: Jon Pertwee was the Doctor in the 327th episode of Doctor Who

Jon Pertwee was ok too.

Apropos nothing whatsoever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAcYS-_8L2s

(Yes, I do know before someone chooses to inform me :) )

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Allegations that Rosie Duffield has not made the Labour selection list for election next year are doing the rounds online.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

serious gaylord posted:

Allegations that Rosie Duffield has not made the Labour selection list for election next year are doing the rounds online.

Oh great now I have to decide whether to hope the terf isn't deselected, or whether I have to hand it to Keith :mad:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
the only thing you have to hand to keith is [redacted]

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The only thing Keith wants to be handed is another bottle of whisky, if the rumours are true

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Very much looking forward to watching new Who. I'm still not getting a TV license though, I'll find somewhere else to rewatch it, the TV licensing people can eat my loving poo poo.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Classic from The Grauniad. I’m sure we’d all be a lot cosier and jollier if we could actually afford to put the loving heating on you smug twats

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Huffing Mr Sheen to make the phone calls go away

smellmycheese posted:

Classic from The Grauniad. I’m sure we’d all be a lot cosier and jollier if we could actually afford to put the loving heating on you smug twats

Perfect encapsulation of what this loving country is like. A columnist trying to normalise wearing arctic clothing in your own home instead of asking why gas is so expensive.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

I hope this is true for a number of reasons, not least is that she would absolutely do a tell-all designed to embarrass Keith, and the cognitive dissonance of the Graun commentariat faced with a "TERF being mean" vs "this is bad for Keith" situation could be fun to watch

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Finally got round to reviewing the lengthy email my labour MP sent me about the ceasefire vote:

quote:

I don’t think there is anyone here who doesn’t want an end to the violence. But sadly at this moment in time both sides have made clear they will not agree to a ceasefire. Hamas says it wants to repeat the massacre of October 7th “again and again”. And hostages remain captive in Gaza. In reality, voting in Westminster last Wednesday will not change that. 

Nine days.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

It's like if harry potter was made by one of those infinite churn ghostwriting outfits.

That sounds better than Harry Potter made by a hypocritical ghoulish bigot.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

josh04 posted:

Finally got round to reviewing the lengthy email my labour MP sent me about the ceasefire vote:

Nine days.

https://consortiumnews.com/2023/11/24/the-thanksgiving-truce/

Somewhat cynical* article arguing that the Thanksgiving weekend was deliberately chosen by NuttyYahoo because Americans are more likely to be watching tv over their long weekend so it's a chance to change perception by US citizens.

*nothing wrong with cynicism at all and it makes sense to me that it could be a good reason why they waited til this weekend.

quote:

Thanksgiving is infamous for family fights about politics. It’s a time when overworked Americans take a breather and start reflecting on the world. They have time to watch the news criticially.

The last thing Biden and Netanyahu need during these four days are Americans being confronted with more images of genocide and deprivation as they overeat.

Biden needs this pause during Thanksgiving as much as Netanyahu does. They both need to stop the support of the American people slipping away. It’s no wonder then that Netanyahu issued this video message to the American people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

That sounds better than Harry Potter made by a hypocritical ghoulish bigot.

Sure, but I don't enormously like harry potter just as a work of fiction, I find it simultaneously twee and overwrought which is also how I feel about doctor who. And then you add on top the problems of excessive serialization.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Kellogg’s flagrant ripoff of Sugar Puffs there

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

smellmycheese posted:

Kellogg’s flagrant ripoff of Sugar Puffs there

You'll get a sugar smack if you carry on like that in this household.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
sugar smacks predate sugar puffs by 4 years.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

smellmycheese posted:

Lol it's a fluff piece, calm down.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

sugar smacks predate sugar puffs by 4 years.

Well you learn something everyday on this website

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I miss Kellog's Start

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They should make a modern 'healthy' version of sugar smacks with entirely synthetic sugar and call it Kellogg's Shart

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mega Comrade posted:

We call them Marshmallows

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Mega Comrade posted:

Thanks. I thought it was a hard hitting investigation by a crack team of reporters. Glad you set me straight.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Laurence Fox, crack reporter.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lady Demelza posted:

I didn't think Catherine Tate had done any sketch comedy for a decade or more, but I can't be bothered to check.

My legs have started aching and I'm excited to find out if this is now a permanent Getting Older thing or if it's Covid again.

You don't take a statin medication, do you? If you do and you've started getting unexplained muscle aches, please stop taking it and call your doctor.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Instant coffee, cheap rear end pair of socks, and a good wank.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I haven’t seen toys in cereals for years. Did it get outlawed?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

happyhippy posted:

Save the sock money and buy a grade of instant coffee that’s more expensive and imperceptibly “better”.

My JOHN LEWIS (landlord owned) fridge has decided to start screaming throughout the night because it just loves icing over and trying to kill itself. I’ve turned it off opened the freezer now and am slowly realising it is probably colder in the flat than inside the freezer so it might physically be impossible to de-ice it lol. Barmy Britain innit

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Thanks. I thought it was a hard hitting investigation by a crack team of reporters. Glad you set me straight.

You're welcome

happyhippy posted:

Just use a tissue

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The bad winter about 5 years back I could leave all my frozen veg on the kitchen windowsill and have it more reliably frozen than in the freezer.

That was the winning combination of long kitchen off the back, bad UPVC windows, terrible radiator and placement, and the British insulation standard of bricks were good enough for your granddad.

Red Oktober posted:

Apparently just the cereal industry, moral panics about kinder eggs, and changing social mores.

quote:

in the mid-2000s, in-box cereal prizes began to slowly die away. There isn't a clear-cut, singular reason for this; It was likely a combination of factors such as environmental reasons (less waste), the possibility that some toys could break and become choking hazards, and companies wanting to cut extra costs.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I watched the doctor who and while it was quite bad, I could also sense a disturbance in the force as Maya Forstater got increasingly enraged at a cute alien stating its pronouns.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

serious gaylord posted:

keep punching joe posted:

I could also sense a disturbance in the force as Maya Forstater got increasingly enraged
laughing at all the interterfs claiming that Duffield is being targeted by "weaponized accusations of antisemitism" after claiming that was a racist tactic not long ago.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
you might be wondering whether Labour deciding to be more transphobic might be transphobic, but don't worry, the set of "people who still think it's worth staying in the labour party" have answered a couple of very vague survey questions and so it's fine actually

The Observer posted:

Allies of Keir Starmer claim he has the backing of Labour’s grassroots over his stance on sex- and gender-based rights after a new poll of members suggested they support the party’s updated position on the issue.

The party shifted its stance in the summer, abandoning its support for self-identification – which would allow people to legally change gender without a medical diagnosis. It announced the move alongside support for making the process of obtaining a gender recognition certificate far simpler and less invasive, as well as continuing to ensure some single-sex services and places could only be accessed by biological women.

While the issue remains a controversial one within the party, Labour Together, a group closely associated with Starmer, said a new YouGov poll of Labour members it commissioned showed broad support for the leadership’s new line.

A majority of Labour members (62%) said they believed there are some cases in which transgender women should be excluded from single-sex services and spaces, with 22% disagreeing. Two-thirds (67%) approved of Labour’s new policy to streamline the securing of a gender recognition certificate by removing a panel of doctors and lawyers from the process, allowing a single doctor to diagnose “gender dysphoria”. The party has said that continuing to require a diagnosis “upholds legitimacy of applications and confidence in the system”.

if you haven't had enough of cis people telling trans people what's fine then don't worry, Sonia Sodha also has another column comparing trans rights to Iran and the Taliban

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nothing more popular in the UK right now I feel than the abstract concept of "confidence in the system"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Red Oktober posted:

Professor Weeto was outed as a sex pest and the days of toys in cereal were over

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

I don't think they were specifically banned, just a corporate decision based on cost, growing liability fears about shoving millions of cheap toys almost literally into children's mouths and the optics of aggressively marketing to kids via the medium of one-use plastic.

Much easier for Kellogg's and Nestle to appear concerned about ethics by getting rid of the toys instead of...fixing anything else they do.

happyhippy posted:

I miss Kellog's Start

Same - that stuff was so good. That and Ricicles.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Red Oktober posted:

After Chex Quest the medium has so obviously peaked that everyone gave General Mills a hearty clap on the shoulder and agreed there was nothing to be gained by continuing, so they stopped.

OwlFancier posted:

Nothing more popular in the UK right now I feel than the abstract concept of "confidence in the system"

Look it's extremely important that cis people have confidence in the system for trans people, and it's just as important for trans people to lack that confidence.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Angepain posted:

you might be wondering whether Labour deciding to be more transphobic might be transphobic, but don't worry, the set of "people who still think it's worth staying in the labour party" have answered a couple of very vague survey questions and so it's fine actually

if you haven't had enough of cis people telling trans people what's fine then don't worry, Sonia Sodha also has another column comparing trans rights to Iran and the Taliban

These questionars always seem weirdly vague to me. What is "some spaces and services", does a smear test service count? What about a prostate exam?
I sometimes feel they keep it vague to pad the numbers a certain way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Aipsh posted:

Save the sock money and buy a grade of instant coffee that’s more expensive and imperceptibly “better”.

My JOHN LEWIS (landlord owned) fridge has decided to start screaming throughout the night because it just loves icing over and trying to kill itself. I’ve turned it off opened the freezer now and am slowly realising it is probably colder in the flat than inside the freezer so it might physically be impossible to de-ice it lol. Barmy Britain innit

Standard domestic fridge freezers don't work well in cold conditions. The compressor starts underperforming below about 16 degrees, and is pretty much ineffective by around 10 degrees. This probably also explains it icing over. This is why I ended up having to buy an outdoor-rated on for my last house.

Cereal toy chat: I used to prefer the cereals where you sent tokens off for a toy. The toys were generally better, there was no fighting over who got the toy from the cereal packet, and you only got them if you actually wanted them. I used to have an entire set of land speed record toy cars.

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 26, 2023