Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
oh poo poo, someone already made a multiple marriage mod

https://www.nexusmods.com/mytimeatsandrock/mods/48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

buglord posted:

Also is there any point with going in blind for gift giving or should I just consult a gifting guide like with Stardew?

Thread consensus seems to be that you’ll get plenty of friendship levels from commissions and events so gifts are optional. I still give gifts. Even with a guide it is a giant pain. People like things less if you give them the same thing twice in a row. So you have to, at minimum, alternate gifts. My experience has been that just alternating doesn’t work. I’ve experimented with a lot of approaches and nothing seems to work consistently. Also the game seems to bug out sometimes and either not give you any points or just not show them sometimes. Not sure which. But I I’ve reloaded on a few birthdays to try again until it worked.

So probably use a guide or mod if you bother with gifts, but maybe you don’t need to.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'm almost in Winter and I've just found how useful mounts really are for getting around. Also realized there was a fast travel system, but maybe I accidentally skipped through some pop up for it.

I finished the bridge repair recently and apparently I'm only 30% through the main story according to the ps5 menu, y'all weren't kidding when you say this game is huge.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Thanks to the friendship gained from doing commissions and the ripple effects of raising reputation, gifts are only important for animals, children, and people you want to suck up to in a hurry because they give real good friend bonuses, like Yan's "more money for commissions" or Trudy's "cheaper land." I've never done any kind of hangouts for most of these chumps, only giving them their orders and saying hi while I was next to them, and I still managed to get almost all of them to at least three stars (or hearts, in some cases). Heidi asks for stuff regularly, and she has a fairly robust social network, so you get plenty of knock-on reputation just for that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The children should be more useful, able to be sent on mining commissions. Times are tough and it's all hands on deck to save the town and rain telesis upon them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MechaCrash posted:

Thanks to the friendship gained from doing commissions and the ripple effects of raising reputation, gifts are only important for animals, children, and people you want to suck up to in a hurry because they give real good friend bonuses, like Yan's "more money for commissions" or Trudy's "cheaper land." I've never done any kind of hangouts for most of these chumps, only giving them their orders and saying hi while I was next to them, and I still managed to get almost all of them to at least three stars (or hearts, in some cases). Heidi asks for stuff regularly, and she has a fairly robust social network, so you get plenty of knock-on reputation just for that.

Heidi and Dan-bi are your big relationship farms, yeah. Heidi constantly commissions stuff to the point that you can realistically hit BFF with her by the second or third month just on commissions alone, and once you've got some farming going Dan-bi will regularly request produce and is friends with all of the church people + Ri-an and Zeke.

Also any time there are "extra" commissions for main quest events or festivals you should always load up on them: not only do they not count against your daily commission total, but a lot of them give a relationship boost with near everybody in town.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
some of the main story quests give points with everyone. this includes characters that have yet to join the town.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Khanstant posted:

The children should be more useful, able to be sent on mining commissions. Times are tough and it's all hands on deck to save the town and rain telesis upon them.

All day long, I listen to people give me excuses why they can't work... 'My back hurts,' 'my legs ache,' 'I'm only four!'

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Sending them to the mines also helps broaden their horizons because they'll meet all kinds of anthropomorphic animals!

I guess it would get old when the rats won't stop complaing about Deputy Captain.

That reveal is one of my favorite moments in the game, I couldn't stop laughing! They even hint at it a few times.

This game can have some good but utterly bizarre humor.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is there a way to make Cooper and Hugo sing more? the song is a bop

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LLSix posted:

Also the game seems to bug out sometimes and either not give you any points or just not show them sometimes. Not sure which. But I I’ve reloaded on a few birthdays to try again until it worked.

You know how when you do multiple things that give you money, xp, etc, it sums the notifications? If you accrue more of something while the existing notification for it is fading out, it doesn't display (but you get the points).

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Tired Moritz posted:

is there a way to make Cooper and Hugo sing more? the song is a bop

Once you're about 80% of the way through the game, a stranger will roll into town who will eventually have a song-off with Cooper and Hugo. Same stranger as in Portia, if you played that through.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Just unlocked the factory and man this game is so long. But it hasn't worn out it's welcome yet, outside of a couple of points where I ran out of things to do except wait for new story missions to pop up. I'm really impressed by the writing this go around, the main quest goes pretty hard and the characters are all memorable and have so much going on. I do feel like they could have cut the map size in like, 1/2 or 1/3rd and it would have improved the game. You do a lot of big projects, but they're all spread apart that you don't really get the sense of looking around and seeing all you've built like Portia had.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I just repaired the stage and had Mason's farewell party. However, I also did the prep for Mi-an's builder cruise, and the next day the game told me two events were happening. I did not catch the rest of the tooltip, and when I tried to reload the autosave the tooltip did not appear, but currently it is making me do the Mi-an event first. Now I am not sure if things are screwed up or if things are working as intended; I have not traveled back to the front of my shop yet because, well, I got stopped by another side quest and I am a little afraid on progressing. I still have the autosave on the day before at least.

EDIT: Okay, nevermind, I got the event (The one with Logan) once I went back home and exited again.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 26, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My coffee tea tree finally finished!

I have events popping up left and right now. It also seems like I'm starting to trigger some characters' romance events. Amirah has really grown on me (I just finished what I think was probably her main side quest chain, where you make the kiln), but I also want to get to know other characters more who haven't had a chance to do much yet.

Do all romance-able characters give you an option to start a romance via a quest, like Unsuur?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Megazver posted:

oh poo poo, someone already made a multiple marriage mod

https://www.nexusmods.com/mytimeatsandrock/mods/48

Turned off by polygamy but turned on at making everyone a cog in my machine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

My coffee tea tree finally finished!

I have events popping up left and right now. It also seems like I'm starting to trigger some characters' romance events. Amirah has really grown on me (I just finished what I think was probably her main side quest chain, where you make the kiln), but I also want to get to know other characters more who haven't had a chance to do much yet.

Do all romance-able characters give you an option to start a romance via a quest, like Unsuur?

no. but quest or not, you can give them heart knots.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Lol it took me almost 40 hours to realize I never actually applied the change from Quaility Mode to Performance Mode at the start. Way smoother experience now, framerate was starting to chug more often in my yard.

Is there a prerequisite to getting the chromium steel bar recipe to show up in the guild store? Doesn't seem like this time capsule quest expires at least.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
The recipe will appear in the commerce center after a certain main quest is completed. You must be pretty close. I bought all the recipes available to make it a quick peak each morning to see what's new.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

If you need a recipe and it isn't being sold/sent to your mailbox you have to advance the main story.

It is possible to get resources before the recipe by killing certain monsters. I'm assuming there is a monster that drops those across the bridge you build but I'm not 100% on that.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah there's a few resources you can get 'early' that way but the bar I need doesn't seem to be one. I mostly leave the recipes unbought until I need them, I've prioritized other stuff most of the time.

Is there a way to upgrade Qi's pickhammer so I can smash the next tier with it? I have an iron one but I use Qi's whenever possible for its bonuses.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You can get chromium bars early by beating up the big bird in the desert or going north past the yakmel ranch and beat up the gas mask baddies.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

The vulture also shows up in the cliffs above the first sandfishing pond you get access to during sandstorms.

Kind of spoiler-related question (?) relating to a chest: there's a chest under a bridge on the path to the bend that I seemingly can't access now that there's a river flowing through it. I'm sure I'm not missing a whole lot, but seeing the icon is bugging me. Am I SOL?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

FrickenMoron posted:

You can get chromium bars early by beating up the big bird in the desert or going north past the yakmel ranch and beat up the gas mask baddies.

Oh, that bird deleted my health when I tried a couple days ago and I didn't go back.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FireWorksWell posted:

Is there a way to upgrade Qi's pickhammer so I can smash the next tier with it? I have an iron one but I use Qi's whenever possible for its bonuses.

No, but you can use the Refiner to upgrade your tools to purple, which will make them have similar bonuses.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Dirk the Average posted:

No, but you can use the Refiner to upgrade your tools to purple, which will make them have similar bonuses.

Glad to hear, thanks!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

fancy stats posted:

Kind of spoiler-related question (?) relating to a chest: there's a chest under a bridge on the path to the bend that I seemingly can't access now that there's a river flowing through it. I'm sure I'm not missing a whole lot, but seeing the icon is bugging me. Am I SOL?

I'm having a related problem with a chest next to the apartments. I've looked all over and scanned the sky but can't find it. That icon is just taunting me now.

Edit: You can also keep refinising an item for 1 of whatever gem it uses to try for different stats. Its random so it might take some time to get what you need. Its great when every piece of clothing has 5% or 10% more crit chance.

I really like the weapon stat that can give you haste.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 26, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

fancy stats posted:

The vulture also shows up in the cliffs above the first sandfishing pond you get access to during sandstorms.

Theres just a basic recipe in that chest. There's a glitch that lets you spawn underwater, ride a horse/mount with high speed and just before the edge of falling into the river dismount, your mount will buck up but still slide forward and fall into the water. you will spawn under the water surface. This also works for the Oasis.

limp_cheese posted:

I'm having a related problem with a chest next to the apartments. I've looked all over and scanned the sky but can't find it. That icon is just taunting me now.

Edit: You can also keep refinising an item for 1 of whatever gem it uses to try for different stats. Its random so it might take some time to get what you need. Its great when every piece of clothing has 5% or 10% more crit chance.

I really like the weapon stat that can give you haste.

This one's on top of the giant rock above you

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Zeron posted:

Just unlocked the factory and man this game is so long. But it hasn't worn out it's welcome yet, outside of a couple of points where I ran out of things to do except wait for new story missions to pop up. I'm really impressed by the writing this go around, the main quest goes pretty hard and the characters are all memorable and have so much going on. I do feel like they could have cut the map size in like, 1/2 or 1/3rd and it would have improved the game. You do a lot of big projects, but they're all spread apart that you don't really get the sense of looking around and seeing all you've built like Portia had.

I think the big empty maps are there to make having a horse more useful and fun. If Portia even had mounts, I never really bothered, but having a summon-on-whistle mount in Sandrock is just a necessity after a certain point.

My solution to not seeing everything I've built has been to take pictures of everything big I've made and use those as decorations for my home office and office waiting room. Come in, have a seat next to the artifacts I've dug up and underneath all the pictures of monumental bridges and water structures I've built! Now, let's talk about what I can do for you.

I feel like I've earned my 10% gols advertising bonus.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Gonna be honest I spent like two hours trying to get the factory to work and ultimately just gave up. I designated a building as a factory, put a kiosk inside and one outside, put all my machines in the building, it showed I had production available, queued up work and then it just... never happened. No matter what I did the factory never actually produced anything, unless it was a workbench item that could be made instantly. I queued up tons of different things and just slept for days and none of it ever got made. I then went searching in the steam threads for answers, and found none but did find a bunch of complaints that even when the factory does work you have to be particular with it because if you run multiple queues in parallel it has a tendency to just eat your inputs.

Not like anything late game so far has required me to massively scale up production anyway, so I'll just stick with manually tending the machines I guess.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sydin posted:

Gonna be honest I spent like two hours trying to get the factory to work and ultimately just gave up. I designated a building as a factory, put a kiosk inside and one outside, put all my machines in the building, it showed I had production available, queued up work and then it just... never happened. No matter what I did the factory never actually produced anything, unless it was a workbench item that could be made instantly. I queued up tons of different things and just slept for days and none of it ever got made. I then went searching in the steam threads for answers, and found none but did find a bunch of complaints that even when the factory does work you have to be particular with it because if you run multiple queues in parallel it has a tendency to just eat your inputs.

Not like anything late game so far has required me to massively scale up production anyway, so I'll just stick with manually tending the machines I guess.

Do you have the fire-powered generator?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Btw how exactly do mounts work in Sandrock? It seems like random ones show up, and I just rent them? Can you get a mount permanently? Some mention "loyalty" - do that mean that if you rent out the same one repeatedly you can get it permanently or something?

Am I basically waiting on RNG for a mount I want to appear in the mount shop?

edit: I'm looking at the wiki and it's just making me more confused. After you build a stable, can you permanently buy mounts from the mount shop instead of just renting them? And it seems like the implication from this wiki is that you don't want to upgrade mount quality until they hit max (or at least high) loyalty, at which point you can save-scum good stats/buffs?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 26, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Daztek posted:

Do you have the fire-powered generator?

Yep, fully upgraded FPG and water tank, the factory UI showed both up in the top right as being there and having available power. :shrug:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ytlaya posted:

Btw how exactly do mounts work in Sandrock? It seems like random ones show up, and I just rent them? Can you get a mount permanently? Some mention "loyalty" - do that mean that if you rent out the same one repeatedly you can get it permanently or something?

edit: I'm looking at the wiki and it's just making me more confused. After you build a stable, can you permanently buy mounts from the mount shop instead of just renting them? And it seems like the implication from this wiki is that you don't want to upgrade mount quality until they hit max (or at least high) loyalty, at which point you can save-scum good stats/buffs?

If you have a stable you can pick between renting and buying a mount. Don't buy anything above grey quality, its expensive and you can just upgrade them with fangs medicine if you do the trials. thats what you need to do toupgrade.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Ytlaya posted:

I was able to rent the same gray mount like 3 weeks in a row and then I bought it once I got a stable and I had continuity of loyalty the whole time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I got a commission for Copper Bars that I did not realize had a requirement for Perfect quality, and I do not have the refiner yet and I do not know where to get marble (I just gained access to the Breach). Is there any other way to boost item quality, other than starting with better mats? Also, is the Rep penalty for letting the clock run out any different than giving up on the commission?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you're on a date with someone and walk, you start holding hands! That's cute.

Unlucky7 posted:

So I got a commission for Copper Bars that I did not realize had a requirement for Perfect quality, and I do not have the refiner yet and I do not know where to get marble (I just gained access to the Breach). Is there any other way to boost item quality, other than starting with better mats? Also, is the Rep penalty for letting the clock run out any different than giving up on the commission?

It's really not worth it, just cancel the Perfect items order IMO. The extra penalty, I suspect, is mostly that it'll take up a commission slot until it runs out.

You get marble from the Hard Rocks in the desert near your workshop.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 27, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
In the talent tree there's a couple skills that increase the chances you'll get perfect quality items, that helps a bit. Most of the things I make in the assembly station are perfect quality now.

Also last patch has a funny bug where if you upgrade a station to the next higher tier it gives you a duplicate of the original tier station lol. So upgrading from T2 to T3 gives you BOTH a T2 and T3 station now!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Unlucky7 posted:

I do not know where to get marble (I just gained access to the Breach).

In addition to the hard rocks as Megazver said, you get them very occasionally mining dirt in the Eufala Salvage Mines (where you get copper / tin / artifacts), and every few days there's a giant marble pillar amid the boulders behind your house which can be broken up for marble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Megazver posted:

You get marble from the Hard Rocks in the desert near your workshop.

There's also, just a bit behind your workshop (heading away from Sandrock), a half-pillar looking ruined monument thing that gives a large amount of Marble; it respawns after like a week and can be harvested with a bronze pickhammer or higher