Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think by default the startup video for the Deck needs to be 30 seconds or less, that guy bypassed that restriction somehow and regretted it. And after that they added a feature to let you skip boot animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

John Murdoch posted:

If you do end up playing it, DO NOT bother with the DLC. It's uncomfortably nasty and spiteful and gross, makes the single worst story beat of the main game even worse, and overall comes off like Ken Levine burning the franchise down and salting the earth so 2K couldn't take his baby.

Uh, bugger. Here I was queuing it up to play earlier next year. I never got it cheap over the years and it's finally been part of some bundle.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The DLC was ok, but it tries to jam everything together into a timeline and be impactful and kinda fails at it. The gameplay is like Infinite itself, alright but ultimately forgettable.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Where does bloodborne fit in? I have Dark Souls 1, but bounced off it. Finished Elden RIng. I bought Bloodborne but never played it

Bloodborne is like Souls/Elden Ring if they forced you to only have an agile rolly build - art style is different too can just check out pics online. It’s all balanced and designed around it too, so it’s more difficult imo because it’s a lot more balanced around a specific play style and can over tune it.

I’ve played through every fromsoft game and it’s my least favorite, but it seems like I’m an outlier in that opinion as it beloved by all the other goons.

Even though you didn’t ask, the other FromSoft Soulslike - Sekiro is a souls/elden ring where you’re forced into a heavy shield build. I’ll get called dumb for saying that because you’re a samurai with a sword, but it plays the exact same as a shield build DS - read opponents and time your blocks to preserve stamina (DS)/break posture (Sekiro) until there’s an opening, don’t get surrounded, occasionally dodge a big gently caress you attack. Also really balanced to one play style and difficult. Personally my favorite other than Elden Ring, plays like a sword fighting rhythm game.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 26, 2023

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is there a way to see all the sales broken down (like how there's the Sega fall sale etc) like how you could see all the various sales before the fall sale ?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah personally Bloodborne is the best FromSoft title pre-Elden Ring. It has its annoyances but the game is so well put together and has some of my favorite boss fights and weapons. Trick weapons are great.

vaginite posted:

Bloodborne is like Souls/Elden Ring if they forced you to only have an agile rolly build - art style is different too can just check out pics online. It’s all balanced and designed around it too, so it’s more difficult imo because it’s a lot more balanced around a specific play style and can over tune it.

I’ve played through every fromsoft game and it’s my least favorite, but it seems like I’m an outlier in that opinion as it beloved by all the other goons.

Even though you didn’t ask, the other FromSoft Soulslike - Sekiro is a souls/elden ring where you’re forced into a heavy shield build. I’ll get called dumb for saying that because you’re a samurai with a sword, but it plays the exact same as a shield build DS - read opponents and time your blocks to preserve stamina (DS)/break posture (Sekiro) until there’s an opening, don’t get surrounded, occasionally dodge a big gently caress you attack. Also really balanced to one play style and difficult. Personally my favorite other than Elden Ring, plays like a sword fighting rhythm game.

There's no timing component to blocking in Dark Souls - Sekiro is parrying turned up to eleven.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

To me Dark/Demons Souls and Elden Ring are rpgs while Sekiro/Bloodborne are moody action games. They share third person and combat similarities but there are plenty of big differences. You can draw a pretty easy line through Kings Field to Souls (and all the way back to Ultime Underworld and some classic crpgs), but From as a company have made all kinds of games over the years and a lot of them were proper action games. Sekiro/Bloodborne seem like part of the From action game lineage rather than specifically within the Souls games vibe.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Bloodborne has the best atmosphere of any souls. That advantage cant be overstated

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, bugger. Here I was queuing it up to play earlier next year. I never got it cheap over the years and it's finally been part of some bundle.

I will say that the intro to Burial at Sea where you play a hard-boiled private investigator in pre-fall Rapture is really cool, and you should play that if you're getting it as part of a bundle anyway. Just stop when the actual gameplay starts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Put Bloodborne on Steam, you cowards :mad:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Jerusalem posted:

Put Bloodborne on Steam, you cowards :mad:

poo poo, put Bloodborne on anything at this point

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Azran posted:

Is Idlemaster still the go-to to idle card drops?
It has been discontinued for some time now. A new fork, Idle Master Extended got created, but seems dead as well.
I'm using Card Idle Remastered, which again seems abandoned, but at least it offers way more options than the two other card idlers.

The biggest issue with all of these card idlers is the lack of easy log on to Steam, as Valve changed the log on feature a couple of years ago, and none of these tools are updated to support it.
I've managed to figure out a way to get Card Idle Remastered (CIR) to work, but it's a bit of a hassle, and you need to follow the procedure every time:

When you start up CIR, you also need to lo in to your Steam account. Clicking on the login link opens up an empty dialog box with a java script error. No matter if you answer Yes or No to the pop up error box, Steam won't let you log in.
Instead, find the Settings.txt file in C:\Users\<YourUserAccount>\AppData\Local\CardIdleRemastered\ and open it in a text editor.
At the same time, log in to Steam in Chrome
When logged in, hit F12 to open the browser developer tools.
Open the tab Applications, then in the Storage section in the left side pane, find Cookies, and select the cookies for https://store.steampowered.com
In the main windows, copy the values from the following cookies into the corresponding settings tags in the Settings.txt:
- sessionid -> SessionId
- steamLoginSecure -> SteamLoginSecure
- steamMachineAuthxxxxx -> MachineAuth (I usually don't copy this, but I believe I had to set it the first time)
Save the Settings.txt file and start Card Idle Remastered, and it should automatically be logged in.

You'll need to copy a newly logged in sessionId and steamLoginSecure cookie values, every time you need to start CIR.
NEVER share these values with other people!

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
That's a lot of work to do when you could just use ASF

https://github.com/JustArchiNET/ArchiSteamFarm

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Valve just let me turn off cards and where you would normally feel like giving me stupid cards or some "free" clutter it just gives me 4 cents instead

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Koburn posted:

That's a lot of work to do when you could just use ASF

https://github.com/JustArchiNET/ArchiSteamFarm
Sure, if you've never tried it before, it could be seen as a lot of work. i guess the same could be said for following https://github.com/JustArchiNET/ArchiSteamFarm/wiki/Setting-up to set up ASF for only grabbing a few cards now and then.
Of course you can also use ASF if you want to support SteamDB's SteamTokenDumper and I'm sure there are other uses for it as well.

I prefer using Card Idle Remastered, as I can queue up bundle fodder games I'd never play, and grab cards the regular way on games I actually play.
It also only takes two minutes to copy the cookie values, the couple of times a year I remember to run it, so no big deal, really.

It's not a competition though, so use whatever tool you feel like :shobon:

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Upsidads posted:

Valve just let me turn off cards and where you would normally feel like giving me stupid cards or some "free" clutter it just gives me 4 cents instead
I really don't get who is actually buying cards up on the market. Not going to complain about the few cents I get back per bundle fodder game I guess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Upsidads posted:

but what about all the hard working money launderers?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay! I talked about it earlier but I actually picked it up and I've been playing it inbetween thanksgiving cooking and -

https://store.steampowered.com/app/431520/Age_of_Fear_Total/

I like Age of Fear. I like it a lot and I'm gonna talk about why.

First off, I really respect tiny indie games made by one person. This is a clear passion project complete with programmer art and stock sound effects I've heard in other games, and yet he's also gone back and commissioned better artwork for units over the years, as well as put in the effort of hiring voice actors to read the story cutscenes. We can discuss if the effort has been worth it, but - hey. I like seeing games made by people who care, especially after way too much time in the steam queue finding shovelware that was made for a quick buck.

Second, I adore small scale tactics. X-COM is one of my favorite games, along with Strain Tactics. I love leading little squads around and relying on positioning and skills more than worrying about strategy. This game is full of that: you have about 9~ units in your squad and that's the limit.

Third, oddly enough, the price structure? These games have been around for over a decade now and been in bundles and you can get them really cheap - or straight up free, in the case of this standalone demo thing. And then on top of that, the TOTAL edition I linked above? That's the entire dang series slammed into one launcher alongside a promise of all future content for free. That's a lot of games with full story campaigns, and at 30$, well, I couldn't resist.

So - Strix you've been typing a lot but you haven't explained what this IS.

Age of Fear is a small squad tactical turn based game with rpg mechanics and metaprogression. It has top-down graphics (which are odd but work) and some of the feel of a tabletop wargame. Movement is Phantom Brave / Makai Kingdom style - every unit has a circle around them that's how far they can move, and they can go anywhere in it once per turn. Your entire army moves in one turn, and then the enemy army moves in their turn. Units attack in standard fantasy rpg fashion - melee attack (for a percentage chance to hit), or use a skill (magic costs MP, etc) and that's the basics. Units standing next to each other can physically block the path - which is vital for protecting squishy casters. (Especially as casters cannot cast while next to an enemy unit!)

What takes this simple setup (fun in and of itself) into really interesting is the sheer variety of units and synergies. I mean, the dev has had a decade to add units and balance them, but there's over five factions and plenty of weird units. So it's fun seeing what kind of weird matchups you can get!

Additionally, the game structure itself is neat. In story campaigns, you can follow the main quest or get distracted by the oodles of procedurally generated battles ("this area is the swamp, so it's full of goblins! fight!") - I'm still playing around with this, but the dev tells me that most players spend about a third of their games doing this - but it's possible to ignore it entirely and beat the story - or go wild and grind forever and steamroll everything. Story quests (and procgen quests) scale to your level somewhat, so it's flexible.

Your other option is - yes - full sandbox mode. The open campaigns are just that, where you can do whatever you want forever. (There's also multiplayer? Wild!)

Okay I'm getting too long winded. Last bit! RPG mechanics. Units can level up, get promoted, equip gear, evolve into other units, etc. It's flexible and neat! This also means that you're incentivized to keep units alive and not just replace them as you go. Unless, of course, you're a necromancer (like I am, in the first story campaign...) and skeletons are free. So is raising the bones of your enemies. :getin:

So far I'd say the writing is passable to okay, not great. The voice acting is neat. While I'm curious about these stories, and I do love that there are neat branching paths - I died in one level and it wasn't game over, my hero unit actually became a whole new class and the story altered itself - I never lose track of how this is a game you're playing for the mechanics first. Which are solid and fun, imo!

That's Age of Fear and I'm enjoying it and want to put more hours into it - and will, as soon as I'm done hosting thanksgiving!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

I haven't played it but I've heard good things about Thronefall and it would probably work well on a controller.

This game is top tier at a good price

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Strain Tactics is a game I don't hear mentioned enough so I am immediately interested in this game. Also decade long Indie projects are great. I love the Dominions series because of it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

iGestalt posted:

Strain Tactics is a game I don't hear mentioned enough so I am immediately interested in this game. Also decade long Indie projects are great. I love the Dominions series because of it.

I fuckin love Strain Tactics and wrote way too much about it back in 2020. God I hope they do a sequel.

If you can put up with Strain Tactics' jank you should try Age of Fear. They're not quite the same, but top-down tactical stuff is a rare enough niche that it's close enough.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Fart of Presto posted:

Sure, if you've never tried it before, it could be seen as a lot of work. i guess the same could be said for following https://github.com/JustArchiNET/ArchiSteamFarm/wiki/Setting-up to set up ASF for only grabbing a few cards now and then.
Of course you can also use ASF if you want to support SteamDB's SteamTokenDumper and I'm sure there are other uses for it as well.

I prefer using Card Idle Remastered, as I can queue up bundle fodder games I'd never play, and grab cards the regular way on games I actually play.
It also only takes two minutes to copy the cookie values, the couple of times a year I remember to run it, so no big deal, really.

It's not a competition though, so use whatever tool you feel like :shobon:

CIR was last updated 5 years ago, ASF was last updated 2 weeks ago.

If you want to use it fine, but I don't see why you would recommend long abandoned software to other people. It could stop working at any time due to a steam update.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

I just wanted you to know you sold me on this, bought it and put it on my ever growing backlog. Someday....someday.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Daamn now I think *I* want to get Age of Fear. I hope it goes on sale at Christmas, I am all spent out this sale.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay! I talked about it earlier but I actually picked it up and I've been playing it inbetween thanksgiving cooking and -

https://store.steampowered.com/app/431520/Age_of_Fear_Total/

I like Age of Fear. I like it a lot and I'm gonna talk about why.

First off, I really respect tiny indie games made by one person. This is a clear passion project complete with programmer art and stock sound effects I've heard in other games, and yet he's also gone back and commissioned better artwork for units over the years, as well as put in the effort of hiring voice actors to read the story cutscenes. We can discuss if the effort has been worth it, but - hey. I like seeing games made by people who care, especially after way too much time in the steam queue finding shovelware that was made for a quick buck.

Second, I adore small scale tactics. X-COM is one of my favorite games, along with Strain Tactics. I love leading little squads around and relying on positioning and skills more than worrying about strategy. This game is full of that: you have about 9~ units in your squad and that's the limit.

Third, oddly enough, the price structure? These games have been around for over a decade now and been in bundles and you can get them really cheap - or straight up free, in the case of this standalone demo thing. And then on top of that, the TOTAL edition I linked above? That's the entire dang series slammed into one launcher alongside a promise of all future content for free. That's a lot of games with full story campaigns, and at 30$, well, I couldn't resist.

So - Strix you've been typing a lot but you haven't explained what this IS.

Age of Fear is a small squad tactical turn based game with rpg mechanics and metaprogression. It has top-down graphics (which are odd but work) and some of the feel of a tabletop wargame. Movement is Phantom Brave / Makai Kingdom style - every unit has a circle around them that's how far they can move, and they can go anywhere in it once per turn. Your entire army moves in one turn, and then the enemy army moves in their turn. Units attack in standard fantasy rpg fashion - melee attack (for a percentage chance to hit), or use a skill (magic costs MP, etc) and that's the basics. Units standing next to each other can physically block the path - which is vital for protecting squishy casters. (Especially as casters cannot cast while next to an enemy unit!)

What takes this simple setup (fun in and of itself) into really interesting is the sheer variety of units and synergies. I mean, the dev has had a decade to add units and balance them, but there's over five factions and plenty of weird units. So it's fun seeing what kind of weird matchups you can get!

Additionally, the game structure itself is neat. In story campaigns, you can follow the main quest or get distracted by the oodles of procedurally generated battles ("this area is the swamp, so it's full of goblins! fight!") - I'm still playing around with this, but the dev tells me that most players spend about a third of their games doing this - but it's possible to ignore it entirely and beat the story - or go wild and grind forever and steamroll everything. Story quests (and procgen quests) scale to your level somewhat, so it's flexible.

Your other option is - yes - full sandbox mode. The open campaigns are just that, where you can do whatever you want forever. (There's also multiplayer? Wild!)

Okay I'm getting too long winded. Last bit! RPG mechanics. Units can level up, get promoted, equip gear, evolve into other units, etc. It's flexible and neat! This also means that you're incentivized to keep units alive and not just replace them as you go. Unless, of course, you're a necromancer (like I am, in the first story campaign...) and skeletons are free. So is raising the bones of your enemies. :getin:

So far I'd say the writing is passable to okay, not great. The voice acting is neat. While I'm curious about these stories, and I do love that there are neat branching paths - I died in one level and it wasn't game over, my hero unit actually became a whole new class and the story altered itself - I never lose track of how this is a game you're playing for the mechanics first. Which are solid and fun, imo!

That's Age of Fear and I'm enjoying it and want to put more hours into it - and will, as soon as I'm done hosting thanksgiving!

Cheers for this. It’s been on my wishlist for a while but I’ve struggled to get past the art style. Might have to go for it based on your thoughts

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Phlegmish posted:

Just bought Control, Cyberpunk 2077, Wasteland 3, and Persona 5. Wishlist is down to three titles, two of which have yet to be released. :toot:

That's a good rear end list

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hello! Anyone know some shooty fps/tps games where I can shoot my friends, that aren't too violent, as in gory in any way. FFA would be the best because usually we have 3 people.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i was going to say friends vs. friends but apparently that still only has 1v1 and 2v2 formats :saddowns:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sininu posted:

Hello! Anyone know some shooty fps/tps games where I can shoot my friends, that aren't too violent, as in gory in any way. FFA would be the best because usually we have 3 people.

Screencheat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sininu posted:

There's no gore in Halo at all except little blood splatter decals

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

There's no gore in Halo at all except little blood splatter decals

How is the split-screen in Halo MCC?

repiv posted:

i was going to say friends vs. friends but apparently that still only has 1v1 and 2v2 formats :saddowns:
Yeah.. I have it, but those modes aren't suitable for 3 people :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sininu posted:

Splitgate, maybe

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Sininu posted:

How is the split-screen in Halo MCC?
Doesn't exist natively, but there is a mod for it.

Are you looking for a shooting game you can split screen with 3 people on the same PC, vs each person having their own?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Master_Odin posted:

Doesn't exist natively, but there is a mod for it.

Are you looking for a shooting game you can split screen with 3 people on the same PC, vs each person having their own?

Split-screen or cheap games c:

Why the heck isn't split-screen native to MCC?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Sininu posted:

Split-screen or cheap games c:

Why the heck isn't split-screen native to MCC?
It's native on the xbox, just not on the PC. Not sure exactly why the difference, though I feel like I don't see many AAA games on PC have split screen while they'll sometimes have it on the console, though even that's getting rarer unfortunately.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

If you do end up playing it, DO NOT bother with the DLC. It's uncomfortably nasty and spiteful and gross, makes the single worst story beat of the main game even worse, and overall comes off like Ken Levine burning the franchise down and salting the earth so 2K couldn't take his baby.

I played Infinite at one point, but I don't think I own the DLC. What did they do?

It's distressingly common for devs to make DLC or expansions that retroactively ruin the characters or story from the main game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The only thing I know about the Bioshock Infinite DLC is that it's solely responsible for the giant leap in development of open-source animation tools.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think they lobotomize Elizabeth or something? I liked infinite, but read a plot summary of the dlc ages ago and decided not to play it based on that

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I played Infinite at one point, but I don't think I own the DLC. What did they do?

It's distressingly common for devs to make DLC or expansions that retroactively ruin the characters or story from the main game

Short version?

Ken Levine is a huge auteur type who despises Bioshock 2. The idea that anyone else was allowed to touch his world/setting infuriated him, and the fact some people liked it more than Bioshock made it even worse.

Second problem? Ken Levine is actually a libertarian apparently, according to folks who worked on Bioshock 1/Infinite. The whole parasites bits and bobs from 1 was earnest, he actually thought Rapture was a utopia vision and failed to see how it'd be taken by people. He was blindsided that people saw the massive huge glaring flaws.

So he used the DLC to destroy everything and repaint Bioshock 1 to be closer to his vision for folks. All the nasty evil capitalist types from 1? They were just misunderstood, they were 100% the heroes against the awful underclass who were just trying to do as many drugs as possible and ruin his beautiful city.

And it didn't fall due to libertarianism at all! It fell due to ELIZABETH. You see MAGICAL GIRLS destroyed his utopia, and pushed the class divide further and further. She's the one who propped up Atlas and the rest! People were -happy- in Rapture!

Cue also Elizabeth acting wildly out of character, extremely weird storylines that go nowhere, some awful writing, and some really goofy poo poo designed to poison the well so noone could ever really use the Bioshock franchise again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I think they lobotomize Elizabeth or something? I liked infinite, but read a plot summary of the dlc ages ago and decided not to play it based on that

Sounds about right.

I actually liked Infinite, whereas I couldn't get into the first two games at all. Just bounce right off 'em, even though I like the themes and atmosphere. Every time I try Bioshock 1, I get to the part where you have to fight your first Big Daddy (I think), waste all my ammo, and still get completely obliterated. But I assume that that's why some people don't like Infinite, they streamlined it for babbies like me, which does make sense.