Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Was thinking about how it was cool to see Lee Moriarty and it made me realize that despite the actual roster size it feels like the AEW roster is 9 guys who all work part time, like they're always scrambling to book anyone who might be available on that day. They're announcing matches the day of the show and it's Kris Stat vs Diamante who hasn't been on TV since August, Keith Lee against Lee Moriarty who hasn't been on since July, Julia Hart vs the Subzero jobber lady who hasn't been on TV since June. Does the rest of the roster just not want to work on a Saturday? I guess they're not booking anyone who is in the C2 outside of their league matches and they decided to just have all the RoH people show up to be jobbers.

Jobbers are cool when their match lasts 32 seconds and they get killed by a huge powerbomb or whatever. I don't want Kris Statlander fighting the wrestling equivalent of a goomba for 9 minutes. Shane Taylor has never been on TV and they're talking about his feud with Keith Lee like it's a big deal. Lady Frost earns a title shot by getting ultra killed anytime she's on TV. I haven't been able to watch dynamite much the past couple of months so maybe I'm missing something.

I'm sorry for calling Diamante a goomba I like her

I feel you on this, there wasn't any build for the Keith and Lee match, but the booking made sense from the perspective that Lee is big in his hometown. The crowd there was hot for him and there were a lot of chants for him. That's also why they brought out Lady Frost and had the Mane Event get squashed by the Neck squad.

I can appreciate Tony boosting the hometown indie talent though I can understand why it seems haphazard to someone who isn't from here. Announcing most of the matches on the card the day of with zero promos doesn't do a lot to get people invested but the local smart marks, and that's not going to cut it for a major promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

this is one of the only places online still drinking the aew koolaid

Picture this guy saying “lol. lmao even”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroo_Onoda

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

NienNunb posted:

Picture this guy saying “lol. lmao even”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroo_Onoda

lol

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
That dude basically had a 20 year Nitro Party on his own. Stuck in a cave wondering what nWo 2000 is up to.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
So I guess Ricky Starks is counting the days left on his AEW deal?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

absolutely not.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 26, 2023

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah i dunno about "coolness" factor of Cody and Punk

any time Kenny Omega is doing anything on my screen i feel like it's about 100 times cooler than whatever is going on at the fed

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Beached Whale posted:

I can appreciate Tony boosting the hometown indie talent though I can understand why it seems haphazard to someone who isn't from here.
Miro sitting on the shelf until Dynamite is in Bulgaria

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

smarxist posted:

any time Kenny Omega is doing anything on my screen i feel like it's about 100 times cooler than whatever is going on at the fed

If he’s friends with both of them he can get more money in WWE especially if the next TV deal AEW gets isn’t optimal which is always possible with a company run by dumbshits the way WBD is.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

attendance and vibes are down, but aew isn't going away.
attendance and vibes are up in ajpw and cmll.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

haven't watched aew in a year and this is embarrassing lol way to go tony

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

smarxist posted:

It is really crazy that we never got an Omega championship run as the #1 best bout machine ace of the promotion, even a six month dream match reign. I get that his body broke down and I enjoyed his heel champ run. But add that and the early losses for Cody and the Bucks to the list of well intentioned really bad decisions

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

MJeff posted:

That show was a pretty excellent case for why this "different kinds of ice cream", "wrestling is a variety show", "you gotta have something for everyone" approach sounds cute in theory but doesn't work in practice. You had three pretty good tournament matches with the crowd sitting on their hands for most of all of them, and in between you had these interminably long, goofy segments with MJF, Nick Wayne's mom, Timeless Toni Storm and Ruby Soho and Angelo Parker wanting to gently caress (and I kinda like the Ruby/Parker story, but it belongs on Rampage, not Dynamite). The show just felt extremely uneven and the crowd barely reacted to the actual wrestling parts of the show.

You can't just go from a completely different kind of show between segments and then try to cover it up with an analogy about ice cream. This is completely unsustainable.

Swerve vs. Jay Lethal was really good.

Just been reading through this thread and this post reminded me why I left the Dynamite event in Hamilton after Forbidden Door.

I was just so bored by the way they booked it and the crowd was like dead quiet for the most part. They got kind of hot for the Moxley/Ishii match then it was just nothing.

Also didn't help that I was sat in floor seats between two of the absolutely largest fellows I could have been. Was a shame because those were otherwise good seats in the 4th row on the floor.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

keithy george posted:

Miro sitting on the shelf until Dynamite is in Bulgaria

Miro only wants to be on TV when he can subject us all to his fetish I don't expect him to be booked like normal

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

Just been reading through this thread and this post reminded me why I left the Dynamite event in Hamilton after Forbidden Door.

I was just so bored by the way they booked it and the crowd was like dead quiet for the most part. They got kind of hot for the Moxley/Ishii match then it was just nothing.

Also didn't help that I was sat in floor seats between two of the absolutely largest fellows I could have been. Was a shame because those were otherwise good seats in the 4th row on the floor.

man that really sucks. sorry about your time and money on that one. have you been to any good wrestling shows since then or was that one of the rare shots

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
aew hired jeff jarrett and the show immediately went to poo poo just like when he was in the fed and wcw and tna really makes you think

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Peanut President posted:

aew hired jeff jarrett and the show immediately went to poo poo just like when he was in the fed and wcw and tna really makes you think

List of AEW House Shows since Jarrett was hired: 5
List of Championship Matches Jarrett has had in AEW: 7

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

MJeff posted:

List of AEW House Shows since Jarrett was hired: 5
List of Championship Matches Jarrett has had in AEW: 7

say sike

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

fart blood posted:

So I guess Ricky Starks is counting the days left on his AEW deal?

Has been ever since he carried Cody’s bags at the Rumble.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

NienNunb posted:

AEW right now feels like 2004-2005ish TNA: indie guys and recent fed firings putting on very good but for the most part not career defining in-ring work, coupled with mostly lousy angles. It’s got a failstink on it that they don’t seem particularly interested in shaking off.

Outside the "not career defining ring work" this is 100% accurate.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Cavauro posted:

man that really sucks. sorry about your time and money on that one. have you been to any good wrestling shows since then or was that one of the rare shots

Well I went to Forbidden Door 2 and that was excellent. The Dynamite after not so much.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

mox had only good words for HHH in his book, Shield reunion inbound

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

People keep saying AEW is TNA 2005/6 when they just had the most successful business year they ever had. This clearly is WCW 98 and Max is gonna see the Devil in the Mirror before World's end!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in response to le saboteur, haell yeah. you win some and lose some. pin some (takeshita pinned kenny omega at 'all out' and is primed to become aew world champion any day) and poo some (cm punk pooped on himself a long time ago.)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

People keep saying AEW is TNA 2005/6 when they just had the most successful business year they ever had.

It's possible for a company to be very successful, while putting out a product people are becoming increasingly disgruntled about

(see also: WWE, Star Wars, the Marvel cinematic universe)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's possible for a company to be very successful, while putting out a product people are becoming increasingly disgruntled about

Hence why I say it's clearly WCW 98 in the next sentence!

Also while I'm down on Max and AEW it's not Marvel/Star Wars as they wouldn't have anything as cool as that Hangman/Swerve deathmatch

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Historians: wasn’t 1998 the year WCW had its most successful financials while at the same time being the year it all started to collapse?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

fart blood posted:

Historians: wasn’t 1998 the year WCW had its most successful financials while at the same time being the year it all started to collapse?

People know the Hogan/Warrior stuff is bad but I don't think they realize how much it killed business and momentum for the company. Just such a monumental mistake and before they can recover and rebuild they do the fingerpoke of doom and whoops

So I'm saying Adam Cole needs to win the title that way

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

AEW is just all over the place in a few ways. World title scene is boring and stagnant. Focus comes and goes off people for seeming little reason leaving them hot and cold. Too many titles, too much product. Collision is clearly skippable despite every claim from TK and goons alike that it would not end up that way.

I could go on. It's still nowhere near the worst era of any of those products.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jack Perry is trending and it's all WWE fans going "Thanks Jack :D" and disgust at the idea of him being the Devil, lol.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

AEW forgot to pick BPD Punk up from the air port that time lol. i’d attack Tony too.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Bungle Boy Jack Perry

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MJeff posted:

Jack Perry is trending and it's all WWE fans going "Thanks Jack :D" and disgust at the idea of him being the Devil, lol.

Feels like both sides of the divide should be thanking Jack Perry. Seems to have done everyone a favor. Most people don't want AIDs, but I guess WWE's got their bug chasers.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
It’s hosed up you’re calling several hundred thousand wrestling fans “aids” because that’s what’s WWE got gift wrapped from Tiny

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
It’s ok tho Tony still has the Cope+Mental Classic for the true wrestle heads

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MotU posted:

It’s hosed up you’re calling several hundred thousand wrestling fans “aids” because that’s what’s WWE got gift wrapped from Tiny

If everyone is happy with the transaction what's the harm, really

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MotU posted:

Bungle Boy Hack Perry

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

nice

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

MJeff posted:

TBF I too express disgust at the idea of "Hollywood" Jack Perry being the Devil, it's too badass for him. He should be doing a smarmy-but-cowardly heel gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Sydney Bottocks posted:

TBF I too express disgust at the idea of "Hollywood" Jack Perry being the Devil, it's too badass for him. He should be doing a smarmy-but-cowardly heel gimmick

There is absolutely nothing badass about the Devil as it's been presented on AEW TV.

The character as presented first wanted to attack MJF's opponent, seemingly to harm MJF's reputation, then did nothing for two months, then attacked the Acclaimed, seemingly changing to want to attack people who support MJF instead. They have done each of these actions once and besides that have done nothing but stare at the camera and make glitchy effects appear, leading us to assume that they are shooting themselves staring at a camera, taking the additional time and effort to add glitchy effects in post and sending it to AEW.

As presented, they're a dumbass twerp dork who has no idea what they're actually trying to accomplish and doesn't actually do anything. Jack Perry is a perfect fit.