Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Atopian posted:

If you drill right down to it, there was a point when (white, middle class) people could assume that most systems weren't out to gently caress them.

That is no longer true, so now (white, middle class) people no longer trust the systems around them, and that includes schools and teachers.

This may be a local-ish thing but it also feels like the prevalence of charter schools clamoring for your kids (and the associated tax revenue) means that public schools are having to try and keep "customer satisfaction" high, even if it's not actually in the child's best interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Tarkus posted:

I've been thinking about the topic of schools and teachers. Do you think that schools, public ones in particular, are incentivised to appeal too much to parents? I mean, when I went to school the teachers were the authority figures and that was a ripe ground for certain kinds of abuse to an extent but the scales seem have slid to the point where teachers are expected to kowtow to parents and every move is scrutinized. This is a lovely situation and I do not envy teachers.

As a student back in the 90s and 00's I had plenty of teachers myself who were kind of rear end in a top hat power tripping types. I think they will always exist on some level. I think in general teachers are better now than in the past, or at least more cognizant of what kind of poo poo would be absolutely unacceptable. I think that progress has generally been made. My roommate back in university still got beat back in highschool by teachers in the 00s, in the US. I don't think that happens anymore, but I don't teach in the US, I'm at an international school. Like at the very least I have openly gay and trans students and back in my day I would have expected the teachers to ridicule kids for that.

I think public school teachers might have a bit more power than private school teachers, because in private rich kid schools the management knows that the parents are customers and can much more easily jump ship (cuz they rich) to another school that would bend over for them. Public school parents don't always have that option so they can't vote with their wallets so easily.

I think Covid made things worse in that parents often got way more involved. They would often sit in on online lessons and help the kids cheat on tests. Sometimes it was quite obvious, I imagine the really clever ones can pull it off without being caught. They would watch the lessons alongside the kid and complain if I didn't call on them, which I often didn't, because it is hard to track 28 tiny little face windows in a Zoom lesson while also managing all my other poo poo at once. Felt more like running a DnD session for way too many loving players and things were always chaos in online. Once we went back to school, a lot of the online expectations remained and parents had grown to love all the endless continent packaged for their consumption, so even if I am teaching in a physical classroom I still have to prep powerpoints full of bells and whistles for the parents to look at in their homes at night.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I think public school teachers might have a bit more power than private school teachers

im not a teacher, but i have a family full of em, all public, and trust me they think parents suck too

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I think

I think in general teachers are better now than in the past, or at least more cognizant of what kind of poo poo would be absolutely unacceptable.

I think

I don't think

I think

I think

You sure do think a lot egghead

What are you basing this on?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It came up in another thread before, but teaching is one of the few jobs that has a strong union (depending on where you are), so things like “weekends/ holidays off” being guaranteed, not having to travel to work when it’s unsafe, etc are viewed upon with envy, which leads to anger.

A common “thing” for teachers who get poo poo about having summers off (we get paid for 12 months of work over 10 months, so “getting paid for nothing” is bullshit) is to tell people that it isn’t a special club, anyone can do it.

I like to inquire about the educational background of the complainant because if they have most types of undergrad it means that they can be a teacher in 12 months. 100% of the time they say that they would never be able to be teachers because of how hard the job is, completely negating their arguments.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

It came up in another thread before, but teaching is one of the few jobs that has a strong union (depending on where you are), so things like “weekends/ holidays off” being guaranteed, not having to travel to work when it’s unsafe, etc are viewed upon with envy, which leads to anger.

Mostly just at public schools, though. My partner works at a private Montessori school and the admin has literal spies on the staff who will report to the head of schools if they catch a whiff of unionization. It's loving gross.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

A common “thing” for teachers who get poo poo about having summers off (we get paid for 12 months of work over 10 months, so “getting paid for nothing” is bullshit) is to tell people that it isn’t a special club, anyone can do it.

I like to inquire about the educational background of the complainant because if they have most types of undergrad it means that they can be a teacher in 12 months. 100% of the time they say that they would never be able to be teachers because of how hard the job is, completely negating their arguments.

Teaching does not make number go up and it doesn't produce commodities either so it gets poo poo from reactionaries, vulgar Marxists, and :airquote:"""dirtbag left""":airquote: types alike. A huge proportion of people hate that humans require care and nurture and wish we could just mass produce workers like iPhones to eliminate the "drag" of teaching and raising children.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 26, 2023

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
uhhh what

Could you explain your post, Mr. Wool?

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Teaching does not make number go up and it doesn't produce commodities either so it gets poo poo from reactionaries, vulgar Marxists, and :airquote:"""dirtbag left""":airquote: types alike. A huge proportion of people hate that humans require care and nurture and wish we could just mass produce workers like iPhones to eliminate the "drag" of teaching and raising children.

Maybe I've only ever met cool leftists, but I've never heard anyone on the left disparage teachers. The opposite, in fact.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Woolie Wool posted:

Source your quotes

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the closest thing i can get is some of the weird anti science fishhook stuff. like when cspam supposed had a thread about how astrology should be respected or some other weird moontank posters on twitter.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I'm sure if you dredge through twitter long enough you'll find some authcom weirdos that think schools are too focused on pronouns and not enough on glorious people's revolution but yeah that's a bizarre take

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
People should just be happy to pay someone willing to corral children away from the rest of us until they become vaguely functional humans.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Koburn posted:

uhhh what

Could you explain your post, Mr. Wool?
leftists bad

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Went to Texas Roadhouse for the first time in half a decade and was dismayed to discover you can’t throw peanuts everywhere anymore

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Outrail posted:

People should just be happy to pay someone willing to corral children away from the rest of us until they become vaguely functional humans.

We had the solution and it got shittier for no good reason. Mines for minors! Mines for minors! Mines for minors!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 27, 2023

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Went to Texas Roadhouse for the first time in half a decade and was dismayed to discover you can’t throw peanuts everywhere anymore

What the gently caress? Did you dems get ‘em?!?!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Virigoth posted:

post-COVID staffing, don't have enough teenagers to clean up the shells for absolute minimum wage, plus all these goddamn states raising their minimum wage above federal

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Virigoth posted:

The ceo killed himself after getting covid

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

shazbot posted:

The ceo killed himself after getting covid

cuz he got COVID tinnitus and couldn't take it because he was a real Texas soyboy

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Probably wanted people with deadly peanut allergies to be able to eat there. Selfish bastards

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Tinnitus is no joke, unlike peanut allergies

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

shazbot posted:

I realized I had COVID before I started testing positive because, before any other symptoms (and they developed rapidly afterward) I heard a new, unique type of tinnitus I've never heard before as a lifelong tinnitus-sufferer and drummer who has only ever made it worse; and I knew that COVID tinnitus is a thing.

Thankfully it went away pretty much as soon as I got on paxlovid, but I can see how that specific ring just becoming a permanent part of your life would drive you insane. It's real high-pitched and real pervasive.

Still goin Texas soyboy on that one, though.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
When I was in college I got a $50 gift card for Texas Roadhouse in a white elephant exchange, I took two of my friends and we just ordered everything we possibly could because I didn't really ever want to go there again. Then the bill came and I discovered we were inside a Texas Corral.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

shazbot posted:

Sesame got added to the list of major food allergens. I've never met anybody with a sesame allergy, but I guess they're out there. Somewhere. Waiting.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Im a high school English teacher in a “high performing” i.e. neurotic and stressed the gently caress out school district and lemme tell ya its a goddamn mess. This world has kicked the poo poo out of these kids and half of them have these dead eyes like a twice divorced alcoholic. They have structured, supervised activities all their waking hours every day. Any “free” time is spent studying or pretending to study. Everything they do is either graded, evaluated, or won/lost. They only hang out with friends inside structured activities. There are still a few kids that have senses of humor, interests, and fun, but they’re uncommon. Theyre being conditioned to work 16 hours a day just go go go perform perform win win be successful be successful. They have been sold the Great American Lie that all hard work is virtuous and will, someday far in the future, make you happy. They are, generally speaking, miserable.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Szechwan posted:

Probably a re-post but I'm here to complain about the absolute trash state of Christmas lights these days. All anyone sells are these piece of poo poo Sylvania C9 LEDs; Costco, Rona, Home Depot. I bought strings two years ago and now most of them dont work at all.

How the gently caress are we going backwards on simple technology?? (rhetorical question I know the answer)

If anyone knows of a brand that isn't garbage please post. I don't mind paying more for something good, but I don't even think that's an option anymore.

Pages back but I think it depends on the style of lights.

I've never had the 'icicle lights' last for more than two seasons. Many didn't even last one before a section fused out! No matter what brand. This year I spent a whopping :10bux: at a discount chain for 45' lighted feet of LED icicle lights. Funny part? It's not even one long string, it's three strings plugged in together from the reel.

I have Walmart brand "Holiday Time" clear and ceramic multicolor C9 strings that have lasted for about 3-5 seasons and older (8-10 seasons) 'ceramic' style LED ones that were expensive when they came out and aren't as bright, and those have still lasted too.

The small led twinkle lights, regular strings, seem to last a long time too.

The Tru Tone site seems neat. My biggest complaints about LED christmas lights are:

1. Non-standard (from brand to brand) sockets on twinkle lights- so you can't switch out a bulb from one to another
2. Fully encased/non-changeable led lights

Those really kinda suck when there's no way you can buy from a manufacturer a specific light sequence in the bulb you want (red/white, red/white/green, etc), and you're fully willing to buy a few strings just so you can pop in the sequence you want.

I almost always rush out and buy lights/decorations on clearance after Christmas so it's not a big deal if some fail. I have strands I don't know what to do with or if I'll ever use on standby.

Other than that, it's really hard to find replacement bulbs for rarer incandescent twinkle light sets. Most replacement bulbs for incandescent twinkle lights are volted for strands of 100 lights. I have a tree topper made in the 70's that uses a whole strand of 10 bulbs, and unless I really look around, the replacement incandescent lights for those are the wrong voltage. So they're dim :/

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

PhazonLink posted:

the closest thing i can get is some of the weird anti science fishhook stuff. like when cspam supposed had a thread about how astrology should be respected or some other weird moontank posters on twitter.

Yeah, for me at least the most flak I'd get from hardcore leftie types are the anti-vaxxers. Not that every anti-vaxxer is a leftie, but based on meeting the parent it was usually easy to tell if they hated vaccines because of crunchy hippie stuff vs Da Gubmint stuff. You very rarely also get the hardcore vegan types that are opposed on general principles to learning about food chain stuff relating to humans, but it is uncommon enough that I tend to categorize them as insane people that fell down the wrong youtube hole rather than a concerted effort. If it wasn't one thing, it would just be some other thing. Teaching during Covid just brought all the anti-vaxxers out of hiding while normally parents' private crazy issues don't come up in a way that they feel they need to offer opinions.

This is probably worse for public school teachers. Like I said, I teach at a rich school. I don't think rich people are any more sane than poor people, they are just often better trained as to how to maintain face in public, but not always. It doesn't mean their parents taught them, it just means their parents probably hired people to teach them.

A lot of people really like just complaining to the teachers and the school and they'll use anything as a basis for it, because if they get the school to bend to them then it counts as a win. So we've cancelled or curtailed Halloween for both left (insensitive! too American!) and right (JEEBUS!) wing assholes.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Duck and Cover posted:

We had the solution and it got shittier for no good reason. Mines for minors! Mines for minors! Mines for minors!

Have you worked in a mine? The threshold is 'barely functional human beings'.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

LEDs are awful and should be outlawed

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

LEDs are awful and should be outlawed

Yes let's outlaw all bulbs in fact and only use candles for light

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave
Just lol if you're not bioluminescing

Fake edit: I could get behind banning those eye-destroying bright blue LEDs they put in everything.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
When LEDs were first getting put onto skyscrapers as massive decorations someone here posted that this was a great example of why technology won't save us from global warming. Here is a breakthrough in lighting that is 10x more efficient, and all people are going to do is use 10x more of them, netting zero actual energy savings.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I put three light bars and use badly positioned superbright led headlights on Mah truck to blind everything with my environmental awareness.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Outrail posted:

I put three light bars and use badly positioned superbright led headlights on Mah truck to blind everything with my environmental awareness.

Modern car headlights definitely belong in this thread, and the fact that there are no standards or laws (at least in the US I think?) about how they are aimed and calibrated. So cool not being able to see when a lifted truck with its brights on permanently blinds everyone in your lane of traffic

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Trucks are getting big enough now that the headlights can go over my entire car and therefore stop blinding me.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

big mean giraffe posted:

Modern car headlights definitely belong in this thread, and the fact that there are no standards or laws (at least in the US I think?) about how they are aimed and calibrated. So cool not being able to see when a lifted truck with its brights on permanently blinds everyone in your lane of traffic

I think there's are laws on manufacturers and what's sold stock, but not at the DMV unless a cop feels comfortable calling them dangerous, case by case. And they have to be intentionally dangerous before any cop will go before a judge over headlights. So the aftermarket goes hog wild.

I'm not sure there are many regulations over repair shops, either, just manufacturer guidelines for warranty repair.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
What about things getting shittier for reasons? Reasons that are lovely?

https://x.com/LeeHepner/status/1728818448778895597?s=20

https://x.com/jakezward/status/1728032639402037610?s=20

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
"We made web search less useful and sent people to the wrong place" like it's some kind of huge accomplishment. I've never once searched for A, clicked a link for A, been presented with not-A, and thought to myself "well hold on, let me give not-A a chance here"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

With GPT-4, it can be difficult to know you're looking at not-A until you're halfway down the page and see bizarrely fictional information