Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Man, the Scott Pilgrim series kinda drew attention to the fact voice actor work is a p different skillset than live action acting, and I kinda think you can hear JK Simmons (despite a very cool voice and some good moments) is not operating at his best when alone in a recording studio.

While this may be somewhat true, it's not like this is Simmons' first rodeo, he's done a ton of voice roles over the years. Not quite as many as a performer who primarily does voice acting, but enough that he should be pretty used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm kind of curious what's going to happen with Mark's half brother and Nolan's second wife. I could see him taking them to Earth for protection, so that he will be able to keep an eye on them, although how Debbie would react to meeting a second family of his is hard to predict (although the awkwardness around the second wife would only last a few weeks :v:). It would be amusing for Mark to come across other half-Viltrumites and get to them before their parents can radicalise them, so you have a generational thing of the kinder children vs the rear end in a top hat parents.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 26, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Honestly, the bug lady is kinda cute in an alien sort of way. Provided she doesn't do anything too insect-like as part of a daily routine, I could understand how they hooked up.

Why bug lady have boobies? :confused:

Also, I want to see Allen pull through and get some monumental payback. :argh: But I know that's not the kind of story this is. :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I could honestly care less about most of the stuff that isn't directly following Mark and Nolan.

I don't think I would go that far, but I don't give a single gently caress about what's going on with Donald. Complete waste of screentime.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like Donald. He's just a guy who is alone standing among giants and is wrestling with an existential crisis while trying to get through a really tricky situation. His scenes kind of keep things grounded.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Lmao at the Maulers and Donald. This show has great subplots.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Donald ends up going to the Maulers to discuss the nature of being a clone now that he's found out he may be one. That could be cute, them just acting as clone therapy for him helping him cope with the revelation.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm kind of curious what's going to happen with Mark's half brother and Nolan's second wife. I could see him taking them to Earth for protection, so that he will be able to keep an eye on them, although how Debbie would react to meeting a second family of his is hard to predict (although the awkwardness around the second wife would only last a few weeks :v:). It would be amusing for Mark to come across other half-Viltrumites and get to them before their parents can radicalise them, so you have a generational thing of the kinder children vs the rear end in a top hat parents.

I saw someone suggest that the fast growth of the bug people was going to be the key to beating the viltrumites. Mark would simply have sex with every bug lady on the planet to create an army of half viltrum bugs.

I really do not think that's going to happen but it gave me a good laugh.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Why bug lady have boobies? :confused:

e:
Realtalk, apparently it's kind of hard to find species with which Vilts can interbreed, so bugfolk must be pretty close to both them and humans biologically...

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 26, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

While this may be somewhat true, it's not like this is Simmons' first rodeo, he's done a ton of voice roles over the years. Not quite as many as a performer who primarily does voice acting, but enough that he should be pretty used to it.

Funnily enough his performance as Nolan in MK1 is way flatter than the show. Maybe it depends on how invested into the part he is? Probably just sees recording canned lines as another paycheck.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Whenever I see Donald I just think that Bobby Hill grew up and got a government job and it just makes me happy to see him.

More Donald content plz.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I'm really enjoying their attention to multiple subplots. It's nice to see non-main characters getting fleshed out a bit more.

Poor Donald.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Realtalk, apparently it's kind of hard to find species with which Vilts can interbreed, so bugfolk must be pretty close to both them and humans biologically...

I thought in season 1 Nolan said that the vilturmite dna is so strong they can basically interbreed with any species and produce something similar to a viltrumite.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. I don't think the problem is that its hard to find species they can interbreed with. I think the problem is that only so many species can make something that you can plausibly deny as anything besides a Viltrumite. They're willing to look the other way on Mark's heritage and pass him off as a full Viltrumite if he finishes Nolan's job. They can't really do that with his brother, who is bright purple and grew up raised by bugs.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I remember them saying something about limited compatibility, isn't that why Nolan was waiting around to see if Mark ever got powers? But maybe that's a self-imposed limit like Bee said. Otherwise you wouldn't think they'd keep crying about a low population after PURGing themselves if they could start churning out 'real' Viltrumites on every planet they visit.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

BioEnchanted posted:

Donald ends up going to the Maulers to discuss the nature of being a clone now that he's found out he may be one. That could be cute, them just acting as clone therapy for him helping him cope with the revelation.

if not something like this I could see him confronting Cecil about it and then Cecil having a sort of "well, every Donald finds out about this eventually. Alright, let's talk about how you're actually Donald #27" and then Donald just accepting it and going back to work.

Also, I too dig that the Viltrumites are becoming more dynamic in their designs. You've got the one that's kind of let himself go, but he can still beat the poo poo out of any other Viltrumite, or the tool with the sunglasses. I mean, they can live for thousands of years

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also my God Cecil, get better password security. At the very least reset it every time you have to Tahiti Donald.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Takes No Damage posted:

I remember them saying something about limited compatibility, isn't that why Nolan was waiting around to see if Mark ever got powers? But maybe that's a self-imposed limit like Bee said. Otherwise you wouldn't think they'd keep crying about a low population after PURGing themselves if they could start churning out 'real' Viltrumites on every planet they visit.

Well, they're fairly obviously close to humans so there's probably a lot of weird aliens out there they can't reproduce with. Like, if they landed on a planet of rock people, I doubt they'd be able to make an army of half viltrumite kids no matter how hard they pounded sand.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Honestly, the bug lady is kinda cute in an alien sort of way. Provided she doesn't do anything too insect-like as part of a daily routine, I could understand how they hooked up.

She has a hot voice also I just found out it's Rhea Seehorn!!!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

breadshaped posted:

Are you sure? Sounds more like Hearhorn to me.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Don't synetheshame me.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think the 9-month lifespan would be the hardest thing to get past. Like drat, that ain't even long enough to share a full season of TV if there's a mid-season break.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

if their lifespan is only a year, shouldn't it be like regular bugs and have many eggs and halfbug/half vitrumite brothers and sisters at once.
like she lays her eggs, and he fertilizes them up like fish.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

As with almost everything related to reproduction in sci-fi and fantasy the answer is: don't think about it, or it'll get weird.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
But getting weird about thinking about it is half the fun!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Scifi mating descriptions really need put in the literary bin. Looking at you mister Niven. All it proves is that your average scifi author is a weirdo.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

breadshaped posted:

Yup yup yup yup yup

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm trying to imagine how you develop into a spacefaring civilization when your people only live 1 year. Also you'd think that would be the first hurdle they'd try to overcome.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Collateral posted:

Scifi mating descriptions really need put in the literary bin. Looking at you mister Niven. All it proves is that your average scifi author is a weirdo.

Niven proved he was a weirdo even without the mating stuff. I'm baffled that the Ringworld series is seen as a classic sci-fi series.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

I'm trying to imagine how you develop into a spacefaring civilization when your people only live 1 year. Also you'd think that would be the first hurdle they'd try to overcome.

Theoretically they also develop at an accelerated rate so even living 1 Earth year they get a comparable amount of poo poo done during it. Shuttling Mark back over from Earth was like a 10 year mission for that one guy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Takes No Damage posted:

Theoretically they also develop at an accelerated rate so even living 1 Earth year they get a comparable amount of poo poo done during it. Shuttling Mark back over from Earth was like a 10 year mission for that one guy.

He actually says when he collects Mark that he has traveled most of his life to get there.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Niven proved he was a weirdo even without the mating stuff. I'm baffled that the Ringworld series is seen as a classic sci-fi series.

The first one is a classic, take it on its own. The ones with the rish stuff were just comfortably bad.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Collateral posted:

All authors are weird perverts, hate to break it to you.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Brandon Sanderson just felt a chill as he polished off a very steamy scene (wherein two characters in their thirties held hands)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BioEnchanted posted:

A clone who can dent a knife when he stabs himself with one.

He's a terminator - living flesh over metal endoskeleton.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Collateral posted:

The first one is a classic, take it on its own. The ones with the rish stuff were just comfortably bad.

And the main character has sex with a child. And the part with the rape vampires* who eat you while raping you. And the orgy traders.

* who aren't sapient, so when people go to the rape brothel to gently caress one, they're basically having sex with livestock.

Good old 'classic' sci fi!

:eng99:

Nuebot posted:

All authors are weird perverts, hate to break it to you.

:emptyquote:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nuebot posted:

All authors artists creatives people are weird perverts, hate to break it to you.

Took a few tries, but I fixed it. You're welcome.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I meant uncomfortably. His scummy kinks on page.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A clone who can dent a knife when he stabs himself with one.

He's a terminator - living flesh over metal endoskeleton.

I was waffling on weather he's a robot/cyborg of some sort, or if Cecil has been doing his own little "Allen the Alien" type thing and genetically engineering him (possibly with Nolan' and/or Mark's blood) to be stronger/better as part of all those other little projects we got a brief glimpse of at the end of Season 1.

But probably robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Compared against the other big 'Super Heroes but collateral damage is real' show The Boys, can't help but appreciate how much this show sits in the trauma said damage instills. Feel like it's rare to see this much gore alongside this much empathy for the victims and heroes trying their best. Violence, but not glorified.