Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmfao. Video essay makers owm so incredibly hard. Second only to podcast hosts in their insanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its been like a decade and i still think about the time the podcast opened with an ad where Jeff says "Heyyyyyy Smalll Businessmaaaaaaaaaaan" in tune with the royalty free song Vinny picked out that week that's like, a fake ska song singing about money

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
In their limited defense (I don't like Second Thought very much, they take good arguments about American authoritarianism and stretch them into defense of social credit systems, etc) they were upfront about having money/payroll problems and actively propositioned their fanbase for whether it was better to patreon or take ad money. A surprising number of ppl were like, "take the ad bag, we'll just fast forward thru it" instead of chucking some dollars at praxis, which like lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know there are various reasons why it can't happen but man I wish Ben Pack would just be a regular co-host of The Jeff Gerstmann Experience. When it is just Ben and Jeff together they have this kind of unhinged comedy energy.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Captain Invictus posted:

here's an interesting one, Seth Everman, an extremely popular youtuber with over 4 million subscribers and half a billion views, has decided to leave the internet forever. his final livestream(it's 6 hours and I'm just posting it for posterity) and he ends it with saying "goodbye, thanks for everything" and turns it off, that's it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUdTPE1SG_A&hd=1

honestly impressive that he's walking away from it all. He doesn't have a ton of videos, but his videos all have a shitload of views. probably my favorite is his "music genre: video game" video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uCEeCUecNI&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp2W_7ph4wY
:allears:

He's one of those pretty oldschool youtubers that dropped a video that tended to go viral a few times, leave for a while and pop up again like 2 years later, repeat. Best to go out on a high, can't blame him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I know there are various reasons why it can't happen but man I wish Ben Pack would just be a regular co-host of The Jeff Gerstmann Experience. When it is just Ben and Jeff together they have this kind of unhinged comedy energy.

Ben is Jeff's Large Son

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the hitler page

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

shitler imo

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
It's actually pronounced Hit-LEHR

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

muscles like this! posted:

The Ben era was easily my favorite span of GB. Every time Ben would say something funny, nobody would react, and then it'd sink in and Jeff would lose it...gold.

And without Ben we wouldn't have Ghost Cup!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also instead of relitigating Capitalism for eight more pages can it simply be that "Youtube is an ethics nightmare" and "that publisher complaining about coverage is kind of a tool" are both true??

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

what was hitlers stance on endorsements and reviews

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

John Murdoch posted:

Also instead of relitigating Capitalism for eight more pages can it simply be that "Youtube is an ethics nightmare" and "that publisher complaining about coverage is kind of a tool" are both true??

i'm sorry but josh grundleman is my favorite smol sweet boy and he deserves to secure that bag--

--sorry, sorry. The carbon monoxide was building up again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jamie French discovered a slice of fried magnificence with the best talent show (by which I mean creepiest) on a local UHF station filmed in a carpeted basement in Staten Island. You do yourself a disservice the longer you don't watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFOrtnL3sgM

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the hitler page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zpYQJkBQp0

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ho ho ho...yet he participates in capitalism. Curious!

I am very intelligent.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
This website made tens of dollars off of the Dangan Ronpa LP, so really we're all complicit.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

John Murdoch posted:

no. i want to discuss online creation in the online creators thread

fun hater
May 24, 2009

every time this thread discusses anything with more depth than a puddle it starts acting like its an unbearable hell

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

maybe you should break up the serious posts by dressing up and doing skits to retain reader attention

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I have noticed that Silent Hill Ascension is still going on thanks to James Stephanie Sterling's coverage. I must ask, who is still paying money to be in this game or vote? It's an ai generated script of random bullshit and shovel ware grade minigames.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 27, 2023

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
It's still so weird being one of the zeniths of mocking online creators. And that was over a decade ago.

I think a good chunk of what has happened has been the consumption of media has really changed.

Media is made
Media is consumed

But then, thanks to social media, your consumption is now vomited out, through tweets, YouTube videos, twitch steams, whatever.

And of course, now you consume, said vomit, by watching the consumption, the review the let's play, etc.

Which, in turn, makes you produce a vomit of a vomit when you see amateur retsupurae, or as is most usual the case - the drama/hell dump style poster. Where you review a review of a game. And it just gets into this swampy poopy mess.

I'm glad the thread has not reached that area yet, and it's just people posting awesome creators to check out. I think that's the only way to really survive in this terrible social media area is to continue to amplify the people that need the boost, and just, ignore the terrible ones that just need to punch down.

Defunctland? Like it or hate it, you see the talent that went into that last piece. And that's way better than "why would somebody waste their time on their niche, CRINGE" type posting you see everywhere else.

anyway

One of my favorite videos happening now is Jeff Gerstmann ranking Every NES Game. (I know giant bomb thread is dead, but this is to me a good series concept)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gDinOOJY0Y

It made me think of trying something similar (but also not at all) with the very lengthy PS2 game library. But I don't have the time at the moment to get that started.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Annointed posted:

I have noticed that Silent Hill Ascension is still going on thanks to James Stephanie Sterling's coverage. I must ask, who is still paying money to be in this game or vote?

i thought it was just a two week thing lol. what is even happening in that game

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://twitter.com/VoidBurger/status/1728309700788207899

Idk apparently Jam. Is there a plot? Are there themes? Is there an actual plan like good Choose Your Own Adventures games or interactive streams people have made? So far the answer I got is "no." It's all random disconnected bullshit that doesn't amount to anything other than an ongoing trainwreck.

JAM BOI

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Jam Man could be a NPC in a SWERY game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
didn't realize they were making big fancy Power Rangers for ~adult collectors~ now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFImHUoaRWs&hd=1

like I knew they did the dino megazord from the original series, but I thought that was a one-off like they do.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

The Saddest Rhino posted:

oh, no, this thing is supposed to go on for something like 4 months

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

TelevisedInsanity posted:

It made me think of trying something similar (but also not at all) with the very lengthy PS2 game library. But I don't have the time at the moment to get that started.

I'd like to see someone do a chronological review of a significant chunk of PC games (it'd likely be impossible to do all of them) starting from 1990 and ending on the year 2000. The climb from 16 colour EGA to something like Quake 3 Arena is pretty stark, I've seen lazy footage compilations but something that provides some context and history behind it all would be really cool.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SCheeseman posted:

I'd like to see someone do a chronological review of a significant chunk of PC games (it'd likely be impossible to do all of them) starting from 1990 and ending on the year 2000. The climb from 16 colour EGA to something like Quake 3 Arena is pretty stark, I've seen lazy footage compilations but something that provides some context and history behind it all would be really cool.

Errant Signal's Children of Doom series is trying to do something like that for FPS games. Each episode is about a year (starting with 1991) and focuses on the most significant FPS release of the year with smaller segments on other interesting titles.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
And if you want to know about graphics specifically, look at pixelpipes: https://youtube.com/@PixelPipes?si=AfgwLSUzqH1mpGBh

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Those types of deep dives are my favorite but they are all inevitably an insane amount of work and take forever to update.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

fun hater posted:

every time this thread discusses anything with more depth than a puddle it starts acting like its an unbearable hell

I love in-depth discussions, too bad that's not what the last several pages were.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ok Comboomer posted:

In their limited defense (I don't like Second Thought very much, they take good arguments about American authoritarianism and stretch them into defense of social credit systems, etc) they were upfront about having money/payroll problems and actively propositioned their fanbase for whether it was better to patreon or take ad money. A surprising number of ppl were like, "take the ad bag, we'll just fast forward thru it" instead of chucking some dollars at praxis, which like lol

How much would it take to get him to shave that garbage off his face.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

oh, no, this thing is supposed to go on for something like 4 months

literally how is that even possible. what on earth could they possibly be up to over there

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

fun hater posted:

literally how is that even possible. what on earth could they possibly be up to over there

That's the exact question I asked! I could see this thing being sustained for a couple weeks, or maybe a month, but then I heard they had something like 16 weeks worth of stuff planned and I just :eyepop:

But I guess it makes sense when you only release 2-5 minutes of content everyday

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fun hater posted:

a very large, very loud circlejerk to pyramid head

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dawgstar posted:

Jamie French discovered a slice of fried magnificence with the best talent show (by which I mean creepiest) on a local UHF station filmed in a carpeted basement in Staten Island. You do yourself a disservice the longer you don't watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFOrtnL3sgM

Found Footage Fest did, and does, it a million times better

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Silent Hill Ascenscion sticks to me mostly because it just feels like trying to do a piece of media about being somewhere really isolated surrounded by demons on a setting that is already really, really populated. I dunno, it just seems less spooky when I know that a couple blocks away I can imagine someone mid lunch peering down, hearing some really weird noises coming out of the building where all of this is going on, and call the NYPD to check it out.

Alaois posted:

remember when linkara did a crossover review with the nostalgia critic about superman iv: the quest for peace where they did a bit that argued nuclear weapons were good actually because without them, israel wouldn't be able to exist

OH yeah if you go to his early years on reviewing its peppered with all sorts of nonsense like that. I will give credit that nowadays he has both worked on that and the demeanor that lead to some of the worst on that comic. He's not "Halting a review on a goofy spy flick to write a screed on how the Simon Wiesenthal initiative is wrong and how they should center on Black Panthers and Palestinians instead" bad, but you can tell he had to have a bunch of awkward discussions to become what he is now. Yes I know I'm posting this on the weirdly relevant thread page number.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 27, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah, Linkara has done Atop the Fourth Wall for over 15 years now. And he has def. done reflection over that period and while he's still a sincere dude, his opinions have changed over that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I mean, how many of us didn't have stupid opinions in our late teens and early twenties, let alone now? We're just lucky that nobody has video proof of our less mature selves.