Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

IT'S LOVELY ANGELS!!!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
get in the colonial death squad shinji

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Pilot the loving drone Shinji

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Sometimes it feels like the most transgressive recent anime was Akiba Maid War, and that's a show about how women in their 30s aren't worthless.

I was a little taken aback in that I'm in love with the Villianess anime where they had to explain what a lesbian is

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

It's like if the United states had even more boomers proportionally, which hopefully means Japan will get a hell of a lot cooler in 10-30 years

Y'know if it's not underwater by then

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Starting on random stuff in my backlog. Urasekai picnic seems alright. Obviously it has Roadside Picnic parts, but there seems to be a lot of Annihilation too. Though they kind of handed out super powers to the mains so I guess it's going for a slightly different vibe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

KomradeX posted:

I was a little taken aback in that I'm in love with the Villianess anime where they had to explain what a lesbian is

It seems like a relatively recent change that sometimes in gay manga when the guy gets feelings for another guy he’s like “does this mean I’m gay?” as opposed to “I’m a man, but I feel feelings towards another man? This makes no sense! What a strange a unique situation I find myself in!”

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

KomradeX posted:

I liked the bit where Claire gets called out for casually saying she "senses danger" when Rae talks about being a lesbian. Misha's all, "how would you like it if some dude told you "don't molest me,"" and Claire gets defensive that she'd never do that, then realizes oh yeah it's lovely to assume that about someone just because you're in the category of people they're attracted to. It's something some of my queer friends dealt with a lot when they were teens so it's cool to have a show just explicitly talk about why that's a lovely attitude to take

Gripweed posted:

It seems like a relatively recent change that sometimes in gay manga when the guy gets feelings for another guy he’s like “does this mean I’m gay?” as opposed to “I’m a man, but I feel feelings towards another man? This makes no sense! What a strange a unique situation I find myself in!”

lol yeah. A lot of old queer manga seemed to exist entirely in a universe where no one had ever heard of homosexuality before and I'm glad we're moving away from that. Though I guess maybe in some parts of the world at the time it really did feel that way

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Pretty heavy episode in the latest Overtake! but they paced it well.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I finished Foreign Country Diary just now and god drat that's some powerful nostalgic pain, top tier recommend.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Kitfox88 posted:

I finished Foreign Country Diary just now and god drat that's some powerful nostalgic pain, top tier recommend.

welcome to the ikoku nikki club

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

https://x.com/mangamogurare/status/1729154163949650202?s=46&t=kbB084LXvpaC9EB66c7D6w

science saru at it again

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
started reading the manga and this is gonna rule

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

This is so dope.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

science saru don’t miss, the Scott pilgrim anime is a lot of fun

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I'm giving a late season recommendation to Migi & Dali - it's batshit insane but has the sensibility and feel of a Junji Ito one shot. "What if you adopted a kid but the kid was secretly a pair of twins?"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I feel like this is partly a function of some manga with gay men being written by straight women, where part of the "fantasy" is the confusion of the characters not understanding their feelings.

It kinda depends on the age of the characters, though. A teenager feeling that way is far more realistic than an adult.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Srice posted:

classic dirty pair ep. dirty pair ftw.

I just watched that episode for the first time not too long ago, and at first I had that creeping dread as soon as you realized what was going on with the character and it's a show from the 80s, how bad is this gonna be.

And then the show is just like naw, gently caress that poo poo, trans rights all the way (mostly - there's still some stuff that probably isn't 100% good).

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Gripweed posted:

I always thought that kind of thing was something to do with dumbass Japanese conservatives in editorial positions, where the author has to beat around the bush and have the characters say stuff like, "Oh, I am so overcome by my love for you and you only that I will ignore that we are the same gender!", because explicitly tying things to the LGBT there would freak out idiots.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
When are we getting the hosed by my best friend anime

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

more trans genderbending manga where the MC goes "hell yeah finally" after waking up

e: i am also calling for more trans masc manga but that's just because i'm tired of the ladies taking up all the loving limelight/negative attention all the time.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

e: i am also calling for more trans masc manga but that's just because i'm tired of the ladies taking up all the loving limelight/negative attention all the time.

strip the flesh is ftw

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Whirling posted:

welcome to the ikoku nikki club

Started reading due to the four pages of Kasamachi explaining toxic masculinity and how escaping it lets you breathe, stayed for the painful nostalgia of being a teen transitioning to adulthood and the terrors it brings

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Ohtori Akio posted:

strip the flesh is ftw

agreed, after school mate is mid but realistic in how cishet people act when they get the horny

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Whirling posted:

I always thought that kind of thing was something to do with dumbass Japanese conservatives in editorial positions, where the author has to beat around the bush and have the characters say stuff like, "Oh, I am so overcome by my love for you and you only that I will ignore that we are the same gender!", because explicitly tying things to the LGBT there would freak out idiots.

I'm pretty sure like a few months ago one of the producers for Gundam was like "whoa there, just so were clear Suletta and Mio aren't literally married at the end, that's just a figure of speech" and one of the writers was like "no they are literally married".

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Talorat posted:

I'm pretty sure like a few months ago one of the producers for Gundam was like "whoa there, just so were clear Suletta and Mio aren't literally married at the end, that's just a figure of speech" and one of the writers was like "no they are literally married".

some corpses at bandai rattled to life and there was an immediate rush to try to appease them by telling the audience not to trust their lying eyes suletta and mio were just good friends

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

They got married for tax evasion purposes that's all

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

its so funny that this is the second gundam to end with a gay marriage where the execs made sure to keep it "open to interpretation"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

tokin opposition posted:

more trans genderbending manga where the MC goes "hell yeah finally" after waking up

Boys Run the Riot kicks rear end. It really shows off how male rights of passage are mainly doing dumb poo poo and hanging out with your bros.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gully Foyle posted:

I just watched that episode for the first time not too long ago, and at first I had that creeping dread as soon as you realized what was going on with the character and it's a show from the 80s, how bad is this gonna be.

And then the show is just like naw, gently caress that poo poo, trans rights all the way (mostly - there's still some stuff that probably isn't 100% good).

It's really funny how quick Kei and Yuri turn on the guy once it's revealed he's a bigot.

What's wild is that the 90s Dirty Pair anime has a few transphobic/homophobic jokes. The original series was more forward looking than the revival, go figure.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

wolfs posted:

I'm giving a late season recommendation to Migi & Dali - it's batshit insane but has the sensibility and feel of a Junji Ito one shot. "What if you adopted a kid but the kid was secretly a pair of twins?"

That show is good fun and when I learned that the manga author was the same as Haven't You Heard I'm Sakamoto it made sense.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

wolfs posted:

Lmao, he's called Hitori.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Is the Sakamoto anime worth watching? My friend group is really enjoying Migi & Dali, but Sakamoto's first ep didn't really catch my attention.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I caught up to Gear 5 in one piece. 10/10 shounen power-up, perfect in every way

the anime adaptation is in a really weird place rn b/c the animation quality goes through the loving roof in Wano with multiple episodes in a row having movie-quality animation that puts a lot of seasonal anime to shame and certain moments that were already great in the manga are expanded upon and made even better in the anime but on the other hand the episodes are usually padded out with 5 minutes of recap for me to skip past and a lot of redundant flashbacks to poo poo you saw happen 10 minutes ago

if they make one piece kai in 20 years it will be a perfect anime

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Is the Sakamoto anime worth watching? My friend group is really enjoying Migi & Dali, but Sakamoto's first ep didn't really catch my attention.

It's pretty funny but it's mostly the same joke over and over so if the first couple episodes don't win you over the rest really won't either

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

if they make one piece kai in 20 years it will be a perfect anime

funny you say that, i'm downloading one pace right now

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

u know what ur in for watching a weekly anime thats been going on for 25 years or whatevcer

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Truga posted:

funny you say that, i'm downloading one pace right now

yeah that's what I used for a lot of the series but they don't have all of Wano yet
also there's this one point in Dressrosa where One Pace uses Kingdom Hearts 2 music for some reason and that was pretty weird

Popy posted:

u know what ur in for watching a weekly anime thats been going on for 25 years or whatevcer

no b/c when I watch a weekly anime I expect poor pacing AND poor quality. having only one of those things is the weird part.

Augus has issued a correction as of 03:55 on Nov 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Wano is good enough to watch even without One Pace, so I’d really recommend getting into the series through One Pace and then catching up once you’re done with the batch.

Wano does do a lot of dilly dallying in the anime though. it’s plain as day when the pacing slows way down, but Wano still has some of the best moments in the entire series.